Usain Bolt

i8hibsh

Having watched the 200m heat today and having watched the 100 metres for like the 5th time I strongly believe that this guy could run 100m under 9 seconds

He won the 100 metres in 9.67 when he had the worst start out of ALL the runners and he gave up at 85 metres and started showboating, almost walking to the finish line. As a side not I was actually really disappointed in this as I wanted to see him smash the record even more.

What an extraordinary athlete and I can't wait till the 200m final where he is almost gauranteed to beat Johnsons WR. He won the heats today by some serious distance with a half sprint and half jog

He clearly has half a second more in the tank to get under 9 seconds

chester copperpot
Having watched the 200m heat today and having watched the 100 metres for like the 5th time I strongly believe that this guy could run 100m under 9 seconds

He won the 100 metres in 9.67 when he had the worst start out of ALL the runners and he gave up at 85 metres and started showboating, almost walking to the finish line. As a side not I was actually really disappointed in this as I wanted to see him smash the record even more.

What an extraordinary athlete and I can't wait till the 200m final where he is almost gauranteed to beat Johnsons WR. He won the heats today by some serious distance with a half sprint and half jog

Fancy a bet he wont beat Johnson's WR for the 200M mate?

Fancy a bet he wont beat Johnson's WR for the 200M mate?

Big time a couple of cold frosty ones next time I see you in pub mate?

It's assured thing. the guy is just awesome and actually could jog and win it

I think he will probs better it by a good 1/4 second

I was talking about this with my flatmate just prior to the Olympics - will we see someone go under nine seconds in our lifetime?

My theory was is that the only way it would happen is with a different style of runner -- not as laden down with muscle.

I don't think Bolt will be the one to do it (though I could see him taking 9.5) but I think a lot of taller, leaner sprinters will start to emerge over the next ten years.

The reason I don't think he'll break nine seconds is that while he relaxed before the line, and probably lost about 0.05 seconds minimum from the aerodynamic disadvantage of throwing his arms wide alone, he didn't really slow in those last 15 metres due to his momentum.

I'd love to be proved wrong though.

Willie Hills offering 5/2 on that happening.

Mmmm.....I know what you're saying - Bolt is obviously as close as there is to the perfect sprinter, but to get under 9 seconds for 100m would be verging on the miraculous. He'd be needing to get another 6 or 7 metres between himself and the rest of the pack, and that's a long way in sprinting terms, especially since in the first 3rd of the race, he's not really ahead of the rest (I imagine because he's got a big frame to get moving).

In saying that, as he seems very strong in the second half of the 100, I could imagine over the longer distance (200) he might have a chance of breaking 19 seconds.

I P Knightley
I was talking about this with my flatmate just prior to the Olympics - will we see someone go under nine seconds in our lifetime?

My theory was is that the only way it would happen is with a different style of runner -- not as laden down with muscle.

I don't think Bolt will be the one to do it (though I could see him taking 9.5) but I think a lot of taller, leaner sprinters will start to emerge over the next ten years.

The reason I don't think he'll break nine seconds is that while he relaxed before the line, and probably lost about 0.05 seconds minimum from the aerodynamic disadvantage of throwing his arms wide alone, he didn't really slow in those last 15 metres due to his momentum.

I'd tend to agree although in the last 15 metres, he could have been powering a bit more and doing more than relying on momentum - facing in the right direction might also have helped him go under 9.5!!

I know that if I were a little taller, slightly leaner and had a physique that offered slightly less wind resistance, then the 9.5 barrier would be in serious jeopardy. But if I'm honest with myself, 9 seconds would be beyond me.

he lost a good few fractions at the start and a good half second by showboating at the end

He really could break the 9 sec

There is a bit in the paper today about the 100m record.

Basically the first time it was recognised was in 1912 when it was 10.6 seconds. So in nearly a century only one second has been shaved of the time. The first man under 10 seconds was in 1968.

For Bolt to shave another half a second off during his career would be some kind of minor miracle.

Cant see it happening at all in our lifetime to be honest.

I'd tend to agree although in the last 15 metres, he could have been powering a bit more and doing more than relying on momentum - facing in the right direction might also have helped him go under 9.5!!

I know that if I were a little taller, slightly leaner and had a physique that offered slightly less wind resistance, then the 9.5 barrier would be in serious jeopardy. But if I'm honest with myself, 9 seconds would be beyond me.

I was thinking of trying for the high jump, until I saw the British team in the archery - Larry Godfrey has the kind of physique I'd actually have to do less exercise to attain.

It's gotta be the dream.

he lost a good few fractions at the start and a good half second by showboating at the end

He really could break the 9 sec

I think his slightly leaner physique than your average sprinter will limit him off the line slightly (anyone out there know a bit more about sprinting than all us instant experts :P) - I guess the question is could he have accelerated more into the final third of the race? Doubtful if you ask me.

As for driving for the line rather than letting himself pretty much float over, I doubt he actually lost much speed.

I was saying to a mate earlier I think Bolt obviously has more in the tank for the 100M world record.

The way I see it is, he knows he can break his own world record again and continue to get all the press and even larger sponsorships.

Did you see the way he had his gold Nike's on show straight after the final?

i seriously doubt he could break 9 secs. 9.5 is a possibility tho.

as for the 200m record, at 5/2 its not a bet i'd take.

Every sports company in the world will want their trainers on the fastest feet in the world.

He is set to become exceedingly wealthy. Possibly Jamaica's biggest star since the legend that is Bob Marley

There is a bit in the paper today about the 100m record.

Basically the first time it was recognised was in 1912 when it was 10.6 seconds. So in nearly a century only one second has been shaved of the time. The first man under 10 seconds was in 1968.

For Bolt to shave another half a second off during his career would be some kind of minor miracle.

Cant see it happening at all in our lifetime to be honest.

But it would take even longer than a century to take another second off (on average, obviously guys like Bolt will come along and the time will take a bit of a sudden drop).

You can't forecast a sub 9 second 100m in 2068 just because it's come down by one second in the last century. If that was the case, in 1000 years time the 100m will be run in no seconds!

The lower the time gets the harder it'll be to break the record, that's one of the most impressive things to me, that Bolt took 0.03 off the record on Saturday, particularly because he's not been running 100m for that long. (I think the Olympics is only his 6th competition in 100m)

It's hard to guess what he could have got with a better start and 100% effort in the final third, but that middle third was incredible.

I'm putting all my stack on him breaking the WR tomorrow in the 200m. I've had a good few bets on the Olympics, short odds, but they seem safe bets, I've doubled my money since Saturday!

Bolt is incredible, but there is no way he (or anyone else) will go sub 9 seconds any time soon! Granted, he cruised the last 15 metres, but he was at full speed before that, so the amount he could trim off by actually going full tilt all the way won't be as much as might be assumed. 9.5 may be possible if he runs the perfect race, but I don't think he will achieve that til he is fully at his peak.

As for the 200m world record, I don't think he will beat it this time. Michael Johnson's time was exceptional, and is 0.3 seconds quicker than anyone else has achieved. I think Bolt will run about 19.5

He could break 9.5 in the 100m but under 9??? no way.

He'll walk the 200m title and smash the WR.

People are waking up to the idea that wee, powerful blokes are crapper than big, lanky blokes. Big lanky blokes need less paces to cover the same distance, so with alot of training, they can easily beat the wee muscle-bound blokes with the whirling legs.

Bolt takes 41 strides to do the 100m. All he has to do is concentrate for a full race and up his leg speed slightly to get 9.5. 9 seconds won't be seen in my lifetime I would imagine, and I'm 42.

shaun.lawson

I remember doing some weird scientific experiment at school (this was back in, oohh, 1987 I think), which determined that it was physically impossible for any human being to ever run 100m in less than 9.76 seconds. Bear in mind that, each time someone got close to this over the next decade or so, it was always because of an illegal following wind or drugs: but Asafa Powell and now the astonishing Bolt have proven that it was bollocks. Ah well. It did take 20 years from when the experiment was conducted, though (world record at the time: 9.83, Calvin Smith), which isn't bad really!

Oh, and Bolt? I'm doubtful his, um, unorthodox finish made much difference to the time: because in sprinting, relaxation is the key to everything, and I don't think I've ever seen a more relaxed, flowing 100m sprinter in my life! But he clearly has more - and I'd hazard a guess that somewhere between 9.55 and 9.60 will be on the cards at some point if he stays injury free.

Craig-Section Z

But why showboat and not run the fastest that he could??

According to the reliable source of Jimmy Carr he wants to beat the record again next year at some event as he gets a million if he breaks it.........seemed to be a true story when he told it would explain the slow up near the end..........i guess at the Olympics he doesnt get cash??

I P Knightley

According to the reliable source of Jimmy Carr he wants to beat the record again next year at some event as he gets a million if he breaks it.........seemed to be a true story when he told it would explain the slow up near the end..........i guess at the Olympics he doesnt get cash??

This is something that I've heard in the past - afraid I can't remember which runner it was so the following is mainly conjecture.

If there's a chance that the world record will be broken, the sponsors will fall over themselves to throw money at an event. Whether it's broken by a hundredth or a tenth of a second doesn't matter.

Therefore, it makes sound business sense to lower the record in tiny increments (assuming that in such an expolsive sport, you're able to judge these tiny increments).

I'd guess that the Olympics brings with it it's own riches so all that matters is winning the race - the WR would be nice but more lucrative to earn elsewhere.

I think the strength of Michael Johnson's 200m record is being severely underestimated here. In Atlanta he ran 19.32, taking a big chunk out of his own record. Frankie Fredricks who was 2nd (yards behind) ran 19.68, a time which now 12 years on would still win most major races, and which is only 0.01 seconds slower than the best Bolt has ever run.

Dont forget, Bolt is new to the 100m (relatively), while 200m has been his specialty. The fact is that despite running 200m most of his career, he is still a third of a second back from Johnson, and while his 100m time was very special, Johnson's record is unbelievable. No one else has gotten to within .3 seconds of it in 12 years since. Bolt moved the 100m 0.03 seconds on, maybe he could have taken it another 0.03 if he wasn't showboating, but there's a long way from there to Johnson.

I'll take any money you like on Bolt not getting that record here, in fact, I'd put money on no one beating Johnson's record in the next 20 years, it is that good.

Yup I heard the exact story today

the guy aint daft

Every sports company in the world will want their trainers on the fastest feet in the world.

He is set to become exceedingly wealthy. Possibly Jamaica's biggest star since the legend that is Bob Marley

Given his pace, if he had fellow Jamaican Michael Holding's bowling technique, the West Indies cricket team would rise like a phoenix from the flames!

@Shaun

Not wishing to sound like a smartarse but Calvin Smith's record was 9.93 which was broken by Carl Lewis in that infamous 1988 Olympic final when he clocked 9.92. :)

chester copperpot
Big time a couple of cold frosty ones next time I see you in pub mate?

It's assured thing. the guy is just awesome and actually could jog and win it

I think he will probs better it by a good 1/4 second

How many's a couple. No way will he beat it IMO. ;)

How many's a couple. No way will he beat it IMO. ;)

2 pints mate - i'm a tight erse

chester copperpot

Starting to doubt your bet already eh? ;)

Tsk tsk.

I dont think Bolt will beat Johnson's 200m record either. He seems more content at just winning the race rather than breaking the records. But who knows?

coppercrutch
I think the strength of Michael Johnson's 200m record is being severely underestimated here. In Atlanta he ran 19.32, taking a big chunk out of his own record. Frankie Fredricks who was 2nd (yards behind) ran 19.68, a time which now 12 years on would still win most major races, and which is only 0.01 seconds slower than the best Bolt has ever run.

Dont forget, Bolt is new to the 100m (relatively), while 200m has been his specialty. The fact is that despite running 200m most of his career, he is still a third of a second back from Johnson, and while his 100m time was very special, Johnson's record is unbelievable. No one else has gotten to within .3 seconds of it in 12 years since. Bolt moved the 100m 0.03 seconds on, maybe he could have taken it another 0.03 if he wasn't showboating, but there's a long way from there to Johnson.

I'll take any money you like on Bolt not getting that record here, in fact, I'd put money on no one beating Johnson's record in the next 20 years, it is that good.

A lesson in false confidence. Lucky nobody took you up on that offer. :)

chester copperpot

Looks like I owe you a coupla pints. It was worth it to witness that. The boys pretty sharpish like.

A lesson in false confidence. Lucky nobody took you up on that offer. :)

Was speechless for half an hour after that run. Amazing.

Did I imgine this or did Brain Hibana the South African Rugby player not race a cheetah in a PR thing just before the Rugby World Cup….

Now could for the opening ceremony for the 2012 games could we not have Bolt racing a Cheetah or Phelps swimming against a Dolphin…… hell you could even have Chris Hoy taking on a monkey on a Motor Bike. It would certainly beat the CGI fireworks that China had :o)

http://scotsport.podbean.com

coppercrutch
Was speechless for half an hour after that run. Amazing.

I have still not seen it yet. Still at work !!

I was like you - totally didn't think he would break it. Hasn't come too close to it before. Just shows he has been holding back for this big one. :eek:

Even Micheal Johnson didn't think he would do it quite yet - and he sort of knows his stuff !!

The man is amazing.

I bet everyone who said he was too tall to be a sprinter feels like a right diddy now.

Mind you, alot of people said Craig Gordon was too wee to be a good keeper/

Lucky no one actually took you up on this then!

Did I imgine this or did Brain Hibana the South African Rugby player not race a cheetah in a PR thing just before the Rugby World Cup?.

Now could for the opening ceremony for the 2012 games could we not have Bolt racing a Cheetah or Phelps swimming against a Dolphin?? hell you could even have Chris Hoy taking on a monkey on a Motor Bike. It would certainly beat the CGI fireworks that China had :o)

http://scotsport.podbean.com

Jesse Owen used to race horses after he won the gold at the Berlin olympics.

shaun.lawson
Given his pace, if he had fellow Jamaican Michael Holding's bowling technique, the West Indies cricket team would rise like a phoenix from the flames!

@Shaun

Not wishing to sound like a smartarse but Calvin Smith's record was 9.93 which was broken by Carl Lewis in that infamous 1988 Olympic final when he clocked 9.92. :)

Oops! Sorry, got confused! The reason is because we did the experiment in 1987, after Ben Johnson had clocked 9.83 at the World Championship, but before he tested positive a year later. In other words, it was the world record at that time, and was only chalked off after Seoul.

Just watching him hammer EVERYONE in the 100m final and then the qulaifiers by not even trying I knew he was capable of so much more.

In the next couple of years he will be thrashing the 400m record also I reckon

21 year old!!!!! **** me!

what an athlete

He's almost as fast as the bosnian Bullet :P

chester copperpot
Just watching him hammer EVERYONE in the 100m final and then the qulaifiers by not even trying I knew he was capable of so much more.

In the next couple of years he will be thrashing the 400m record also I reckon

21 year old!!!!! **** me!

what an athlete

He's almost as fast as the bosnian Bullet :P

And he won you 2 pints. PAH ;)

And he won you 2 pints. PAH ;)

hahaha cheers dude

Bofferding.jpg

what's more staggering is that Bolt ran the 200m into a headwind

Johnsson had the wind behind him

what more is this guy capable of?

staggering individual

The Old Tolbooth
2 pints of Volvic coming your way on saturday mate. ;)

I'm sure the bet was 2 pints of Jack Daniels ;)

chester copperpot
I'm sure the bet was 2 pints of Jack Daniels ;)

Actually if it gets him to shut up for a second, that might be money well spent. ;)

portobellojambo1

I suppose in truth the fact that he won both the 100 and 200 metres finals, and broke the existing World Records in both, means that he will probably earn well in excess of ?1,000,000 in increased revenue anyway, given that they reckon Chris Hoy's income for the coming 12 months will increase from ?24,000 to well in excess of ?1m based on what he achieved at The Olympics.

Although he, Bolt, receives no cash in hand for winning both races he will make it by other means, advertising, sponsorship etc. etc. (he now has a face that can sell).

chester copperpot
I suppose in truth the fact that he won both the 100 and 200 metres finals, and broke the existing World Records in both, means that he will probably earn well in excess of ?1,000,000 in increased revenue anyway, given that they reckon Chris Hoy's income for the coming 12 months will increase from ?24,000 to well in excess of ?1m based on what he achieved at The Olympics.

Although he, Bolt, receives no cash in hand for winning both races he will make it by other means, advertising, sponsorship etc. etc. (he now has a face that can sell).

Spoil sport. ;)

Archived