Schools Strike Action.

hughesie27

Does anybody know what the latest is on this?

Apparently schools were contacting people today to tell them they would be shut on Wednesday but none of my mates have heard anything like this.

Malinga the Swinga

If you live in edinburgh, check the district council website tomorrow and they will advise which schools opena nd which are shut. Not teachers striking this time, but cleanrers, dinner ladies etc.

My brother has been told that the schools closed for S1-S4, 5th and 6th year have to go in.

Nae luck!

Didn't we have something like that one day, mate? I'm sure half the 5th/6th years just skived too.....

My sons first day at school tommorrow only in until 12.15pm, off on Wednesday 'cause of the strike!!

Hope he dosent think this is the norm!!!

Cheers guys. I think it is the same at Craigie with the 5th/6th thing.

Oh well, I would love to go in on Wednesday after a long summer.

My brother has been told that the schools closed for S1-S4, 5th and 6th year have to go in.

Nae luck!

That happened to us when we were in 5th year.

one of the times it happened we got a petition going we had over 100 names students and teachers and during first two classes head teacher came in to make sure everone was in class after he saw us all sitting there break time came and we all bailed.

I remember another time we had an argument as 5th and 6th years we felt we shouldn't have to wear school uniform however crochford ( ms Rochford ) our head of year came out saying but the young ones look up to you you are there roll models so on another day of strike where only us 5th and 6th years came in we all came in no uniform and she questioned us all and our argument was well... no one is here to look up to us so why should we wear the uniform... she wasnt pleased but what could she do.

now the more I think about all the good times... I think i'm actually going to miss that place.

:)

here is the list from the council web site.

Schools affected by industrial action

Schools closed on 20 August

Schools only open to certain groups on 20 August

School meals

Breakfast and after school clubs

The following schools will be closed to all pupils:

Primary Schools

* Balgreen Primary School

* Canal View Primary School

* Carrick Knowe Primary School

* Corstorphine Primary School

* Craigentinny Primary School

* Craiglockhart Primary School

* Cramond Primary School

* Currie Primary School

* Dalmeny Primary School

* Dalry Primary School

* Duddingston Primary School

* East Craigs Primary School

* Gilmerton Primary School

* Leith Walk Primary School

* Longstone Primary School

* Parson?s Green Primary School

* Preston Street Primary School

* Roseburn Primary School

* Royal Mile Primary School

* Sighthill Primary School

* St John?s RC

* Stenhouse Primary School

* Towerbank Primary School

Secondary schools

* Balerno Community Secondary School

* Tynecastle High Secondary School

* Wester Hailes Education Centre

Please note that pupils were not due to start at the new Niddrie Mill and St Francis Primary Schools until Monday 25 August and they should start as normal on this date

The following schools will only be open for the following year groups:

Primary schools

* St Ninian?s RC Primary - Primary 1 only

Secondary schools

* Boroughmuir High School - open for S4, S5, S6

* Broughton High School - open for S5 and S6

* Craigmount High School - open for S5 and S6

* Craigroyston Community High School - open for S3 to S6

* Currie Community High School - open for S4 / S5 / S6

* Drummond Community High School - open for S5 and S6

* Forrester High School - open for S4 / S5 / S6

* Gracemount High School - open for S5 and S6

* Holy Rood RC High School - open for S5 and S6

* Leith Academy Community High School - open for S5 and S6

* Liberton High School - open for S2 to S6

* Portobello High School - open for S4, S5 and S6

* St Augustine?s RC High School - open for S5 and S6

* St Thomas of Aquin?s High School - open for S5 and S6

Special Schools

* Braidburn special school - Open to leavers groups only

School meals

A school meals service will be available in the following schools. If your school is not on the list, please provide your child with a packed lunch.

Primaries

* Broomhouse

* Castleview

* Craigour Park

* Craigroysron

* Forthview

* Oxgangs

* Pirniehall

* St David's

* St Joseph's

* St Peter's

Secondary

* Craigmount

* Drummond

* Firrhill

* Gracemount

* The Royal High School

Special School

* Braidburn

Breakfast and after school clubs

Breakfast clubs and after school clubs will also be affected in some schools and you should contact your own school directly to find out details.

Who's actually on strike then if only 5th and 6th years are allowed to come in? Surely if its the janitors then no one's allowed in. :confused:

Does anybody know what the latest is on this?

Apparently schools were contacting people today to tell them they would be shut on Wednesday but none of my mates have heard anything like this.

Are you back at school this year hughesie?

Thought you were gonnae get yourself a job?

Sack everyone on strike, kick them up their lazy erses and give the jobs to people who deserve it

END OF

ooh-aah-cantona

There's strike action in Midlothian aswell. Every other high school bar mines is off. Bloody typical. :irritated:

The following schools will be CLOSED to pupils on 20 August:

? Saltersgate

? Beeslack Com. High School

? TOP Service (Greenhall)

? Lasswade High School Centre

? Newbattle High School

? Penicuik High School

? Cockpen Nursery School

? Cuikenburn Nursery School

? Mayfield Nursery School

? Mount Esk Nursery School

? Thornybank Nursery School

? Bonnyrigg Primary School

? Cornbank St James Primary School and nursery class

? Cuiken Primary School

? Danderhall Primary School and nursery class

? Glencorse Primary School

? Hawthornden Primary School

? Hopefield Primary School and nursery class

? King?s Park Primary School and nursery class

? Lasswade Primary School and nursery class

? Mauricewood Primary School and nursery class

? Mayfield Primary School

? Newtongrange Primary School and nursery class

? Paradykes Primary School and nursery class

? Rosewell Primary School and nursery class

? Roslin Primary School and nursery class

? Sacred Heart Primary School and nursery class

? St Andrew?s Primary School and nursery class

? St David?s Primary School

? St Luke?s Primary School

? St Mary?s Primary School and nursery class

? St Matthew?s Primary School

? Woodburn Primary School

Pupils who attend any of the above schools should report to school on Thursday 21 August 2008, one day later than planned.

The following schools will remain OPEN to all pupils on the 20 August, except for nursery classes:

? Dalkeith High School :(

? St David?s High School

? Gorebridge Primary School (but nursery is closed)

? Lawfield Primary School (but nursery is closed)

? Loanhead Primary School (but nursery is closed)

? Moorfoot Primary School (but nursery is closed)

? St Margaret?s Primary School (but nursery is closed)

? Stobhill Primary School (but nursery is closed)

? Strathesk Primary School (but nursery is closed)

? Tynewater Primary School (but nursery is closed)

Billy the Jambo
Sack everyone on strike, kick them up their lazy erses and give the jobs to people who deserve it

END OF

Is that right? Sack everyone one onstrike why dont you just shove children up chimneys again .You will be one of the few in scotland tossing themselves off when tory toff cameron gets in at the next election.I will tell you why council workers are going on strike.A 2.5% payrise is what we are being offered thts 15 pence an hour to the lowest paid in the council .that works out at less than ?6 a week thats not even a gallon of petrol FFS.When the cost of everything is going up and inflation is at about 5% and you wonder why we are striking .I f i had any say in how the strike would run i would call everyone out on indefinate strike until the matter was resolved feck all this 24 hour carry on but i am just a union member

Whitley Jambo
Is that right? Sack everyone one onstrike why dont you just shove children up chimneys again .You will be one of the few in scotland tossing themselves off when tory toff cameron gets in at the next election.I will tell you why council workers are going on strike.A 2.5% payrise is what we are being offered thts 15 pence an hour to the lowest paid in the council .that works out at less than ?6 a week thats not even a gallon of petrol FFS.When the cost of everything is going up and inflation is at about 5% and you wonder why we are striking .I f i had any say in how the strike would run i would call everyone out on indefinate strike until the matter was resolved feck all this 24 hour carry on but i am just a union member

Well said Billy, there are some folk on this forum who think that the fairys empty their bins, look after their kids and elderly relatives etc. Its not just a pay cut for this year thats proposed either its 2.5% for the next THREE YEARS WHILE INFLATION IS AT 5% AND CLIMBING. We all need to give support to these essential workers.

Billy the Jambo
Well said Billy, there are some folk on this forum who think that the fairys empty their bins, look after their kids and elderly relatives etc. Its not just a pay cut for this year thats proposed either its 2.5% for the next THREE YEARS WHILE INFLATION IS AT 5% AND CLIMBING. We all need to give support to these essential workers.

Thanks for agreeing i could have went all day about the reasons for strike action your last bit there said it all i feel strongly about this .There are some people on here that think council workers do nothing all day and we have great pension thats not the case .Yes i have pension with the council but i pay over ?100 a month towards it it is not non contributary as most folk seem to think.

Whitley Jambo
Thanks for agreeing i could have went all day about the reasons for strike action your last bit there said it all i feel strongly about this .There are some people on here that think council workers do nothing all day and we have great pension thats not the case .Yes i have pension with the council but i pay over ?100 a month towards it it is not non contributary as most folk seem to think.

The same old myths about Council Workers always get dragged out when they stand up for themselves but its a FACT that we ALL rely on public services being delivered by dedicated and motivated staff. Taken for granted for too long.

Didn't we have something like that one day, mate? I'm sure half the 5th/6th years just skived too.....

Aye...nae one turned up. Think we ended up in a pub.

Good times.

If you pro ratad teachers pay to the hours they worked they would get about ?40 an hour!!!

The Janitors don't do badly either

I am sick of Britian being held to ransom by feckin Unions!!!

If you pro ratad teachers pay to the hours they worked they would get about ?40 an hour!!!

What have the teachers got to do with this?

Do you honestly think teachers just work 9-3.30 every day? If so, that's ****ing ridiculous. How about: lesson plans for weeks in advance; forward plans; marking and commenting on around 100 students' jotters, essays, drafts, folios etc coming up with constructive criticism and praise where necessary and that's not even at exam time; planning and researching ways to make lessons interesting, stimulating and useful for your children, all of which are extra-curricular.

Add to that behaviour management and being at the very top of your game in terms of encouragement, praise and understanding 5 days a week to make the classroom a stimulating place for 25-30 students, 60% of which don't want to be there.

Try being a teacher for a week and you'll change your tune.

Billy the Jambo

So we are holding Britain to ransom are we YOU DON,T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT MATE .If it was up to you we would be working for ?2 an hour still .Do you think teachers work 9till 3.30 then go home this strike has got f all to do with the teachers anyway.Most janitors earn less than 15grand a year and you say thats not too bad. Well i dont think so for the work they do .I for one hope this strike goes on for a long time then you will see how much we all rely on the council.If you live in a council house i bet you would moan like feck if something went wrong in the house and who do you think repairs the problem .Yes thats right a council employee no matter what time of day it is

The school I teach at have told the younger kids to stay off which is a shame for the older kids :D

Mind you, another day to get stuff together would have been cool.

END OF

What a great impersonation of a knob, I don't think you mean this your just being controversial for the sake of it and well done I've bitten, hook line and sinker. You got me.

If I thought that you really thought that I'd then have to ask you to take your head out of there as it must be dark and smell of shyt.

Are you back at school this year hughesie?

Thought you were gonnae get yourself a job?

Aye that was the plan but realised school is the best place for me jsut now as I just don't know what to do with myself.

Looking forward to it though. Big ruling the school 6th year with commando mo :slither:

Archived