Hearts are on the rise ? despite ref's efforts

Dr. Bapswent

Dr. Bapswent

http://sport.scotsman.com/football/Hearts-are-on-the-rise.4399698.jp

Hearts are on the rise ? despite ref's efforts

Published Date: 18 August 2008

By GEORGE FOULKES

HEARTS fans don't mind losing. We don't like it, but it happens from time to time. But we do resent being robbed. Sure, we were outplayed for large periods at Ibrox on Saturday, but had probably done just enough to snatch a point back to Edinburgh. Until, that is, the referee stepped in. Or rather, didn't.

How many times have we seen it happen when playing the Old Firm? They get the breaks, smaller clubs don't. Rangers get a penalty, and face a side down to ten men for the final 18 minutes after a cheap, curious red card for Saulius Mikoliunas.

But

ADVERTISEMENT

when the ball thunders off the arm of a Rangers player, the referee either doesn't see it or turns a blind eye. Typical. Had that happened in an Old Firm derby, there would have been hell to pay. The Sunday newspapers would have back page headlines screaming about the controversy. Because it involved Hearts, nobody says 'boo'.

I've said before I do not believe our referees are corrupt. But you have to question their consistency and ability. The penalty at that stage would have allowed Hearts, who were on the ascendancy having played a defensive game, to equalise. It is unlikely Rangers would have grabbed a second thereafter.

As it happened, they almost didn't, thanks to a heroic effort from young Jamie Macdonald in goal. But there you have it. Instead we have to pick ourselves up, accept that we won't get the breaks, and take heart in the positive from Saturday.

For me, the splendid showing from young Jason Thomson at left back was of real encouragement. As was that of the team as whole. There was discipline, steel and vigour in the way they stuck to their task, exemplified by the fact that they had Rangers on the back foot as the game grew old.

Of course, there is still much to improve in time. But it was heartening to see them trying, playing for each other, having a go and not lying down after losing the first.

I only hope they can build on that, and in Csaba Laszlo, we may just have the man to make it happen. He was kicking every ball from the touchline. And as Miko walked past him following his double booking, the hand of consolation was there, a sure sign of good man management.

Perhaps he will sit the Lithuanian down and advise him he could have been smarter in making the tackle after being booked already. But I have sympathy, given that it was his first real challenge of the game.

In Miko's case in Scotland, the presumption from referees is of guilt rather than innocence. Only the referee can justify why he felt it necessary to treat him so harshly, while allowing equally sturdy challenges from Rangers to go unchecked. I have little doubt Vladimir Romanov will have been furious at the event, and it will only serve to embolden his view of a GFA conspiracy. As is his right.

Only I would hope that he could try and resist the temptation to unleash his anger on the authorities at this early stage. Doing so would only prove a distraction from the good work that is being done by the new management team.

We don't need to indulge in more the 'siege mentality' that has hung over Tynecastle like a cloud in recent months right now, no matter how frustrated each and every one of us feels.

We shouldn't dwell on a single defeat, particularly at Ibrox. Let's pick ourselves up and look ahead to this Saturday and the visit of St Mirren. And work out just where the goals will come from.

It is clear that we need to strengthen the business end of the team, find someone with that cutting edge to do some real damage. But I would expect the talent on our books will be more than a match for the Buddies who, let's face it, should pose no real threat.

Gary Glen, I'd wager, would be one player in the running for a start, probably with young Andrew Driver. I'd like to see someone through the middle, at least at home, on our own turf, with the weight of the support behind them.

We already have speed on the wings, a robust midfield and the defence looks more solid this weather, despite the stats which are showing that it has leaked four goals in two games.

I suspect that as summer turns to autumn, the players will warm to the new management team which now includes Stevie Banks. As the new style and camaraderie takes a grip, we will see growing improvement.

I've never been slow to criticise where I've felt it deserved. But equally, I hope I am fair when praise is required, like now. Speak to any Jambo you meet and they will almost all now be filled with a cautious optimism about recent events.

It is too early to judge, of course it is. But for now it is worth enjoying, it is worth believing, it might even be worth dreaming. After all the cup season is all but upon us.

And, for my money, this developing Hearts side looks to have all the hallmarks of a team that, in such competition, may very well be hard to beat. Only time ? and dodgy refereeing decisions ? will now tell.

Speaking of cups, I am looking forward to the forthcoming visit of Airdrie United to Tynecastle ? not least because the way the dates have fallen, I will be able to make the midweek fixture.

There is always something a wee bit special about not just one-off games like this, but ones that are played on midweek evenings.

Maybe it's the floodlights, maybe it's the noise of the crowd against the murmur of the city outside the gates, but there is a particular atmosphere that seems to make such events all the more exciting.

Well said Georgie boy. The next few league games give us a great chance to create a platform for the season and put us in a position to challenge for the European places.

Jambof3tornado

Not a big fan of george but credit where its due,good article with more than a few digs in there about the reffin bias that confronts us in every game we play.

marshallschunkychicken

Interesting that George doesn't have much to say on the Banksie situation, although that said, this was probably written Saturday evening, before all the claims of disharmony stated to reach us.

Jambof3tornado
Interesting that George doesn't have much to say on the Banksie situation, although that said, this was probably written Saturday evening, before all the claims of disharmony stated to reach us.

Or perhaps he doesnt want to bring up something he knows nothing about,the same as the rest of us.;)

marshallschunkychicken
Or perhaps he doesnt want to bring up something he knows nothing about,the same as the rest of us.;)

True. :)

Archived