Bring Me Ugandans - Hearts Boss

slfjambo

18/08/2008 03:30

Bring Me Ugandans - Hearts Boss

Hearts boss Csaba Laszlo is desperate for Uganda to improve their world ranking so that he can pilfer their top talents...

Hearts boss Csaba Laszlo moved to Tynecastle after coaching Uganda. His spell in charge of The Cranes was brief, but he clearly saw enough to suggest to him that Ugandan football is an untapped source of talent.

Ugandans have had mixed success whilst playing abroad - something few have had the opportunity to try. The first to play in Europe was Magid "Magic" Musisi, who played for French side Rennes in the early 1990s before dying at the young age of 38.

Currently, Ibrahim Sekagya is with Austrian outfit Red Bull Salzburg and youngster Mike SSerumaga is on the books of Helsingborgs.

There's a few more, a light scattering of Ugandans across the footballing globe, but Csaba has made waves by snapping up David Obua, for whom he has high hopes.

Not content with his recent signing, the Jambos boss hopes Uganda can improve upon their current FIFA ranking of 96 in order to make the pursuit of work permits less of a chore.

"You can't imagine how many good players there are in Uganda," the Hungarian enthused. "But it is hard to bring players in from there."

The gaffer has cited 23-year-old goalie Denis Onyango, currently with South African side Supersport United, as one of the players he'd love to bring to Scotland.

He continued: "If Uganda improve their world ranking it will be easier to get [Denis] Onyango a visa. He is a fantastic 'keeper, but the work permit is a big problem."

Liam Black, Goal.com

Disgraceful.

Filling our team with diddies who clearly have no talent.

Disclaimer: I've never actually seen any Ugandan football before, but I don't need to. They're clearly sh*te.

Ryan Gosling
Disgraceful.

Filling our team with diddies who clearly have no talent.

Disclaimer: I've never actually seen any Ugandan football before, but I don't need to. They're clearly sh*te.

Exactly. If they're so good, why are they playing for Uganda and not Brazil?

ToadKiller Dog

more of a feelgood about yourself Uganda story from a leaving manager rather than a real substance that Csaba wants to fill the side with Ugandians.

Walter Payton

Maybe they're just Brazilians without the bus fare.

Walter Payton
Africa is not famed for it's goalkeepers...

Bruce Grobelaar seemed popular enough! Maybe he could still do a job for us...

Captain Lithuania

Ugandan pasport? :S

Captain Lithuania
That'll be why! Don't know why we didn't figure that one out, thanks.

Haha, common sense prevails :P

Walter Payton
Haha, common sense prevails :P

I've thought about it a bit more. Can they not just pay a transfer fee or something?

IF Laszlo is allowed to stay in his role for a year or two, it would be interesting to see if Uganda rise in the rankings over the next wee while.

I would welcome any player that has been scouted by our manager.

rudi must stay

MOD DELETE

that keeper Bolton signed is from an African country i think. They didn't pay much for him and he's turned out to be a brilliant signing

Africa is not famed for it's goalkeepers...

What about Jacques Songo'o(Cameroon), one of only 7 foreign keepers to win the Keeper of the year award in Spain???

Ibrahim Tall
I give you Carlos Kameni.

Tony Sylva(Senegal) and Vincent Enyeama aren't bad either, would still agree the average standard is probably lower though. Far too often African keepers resort to punching it away rather than actually catching it.

Bruce Grobelaar seemed popular enough! Maybe he could still do a job for us...

Aye, he would be good to have on your team, he will be able to bribe the ref into giving decions our way..lol

Most Brazilians play for Spain now, their the real cup de monde, which underlines your point - why can't these fekking sheet Ugandans get a game for Spain, or anyother top European nation.

Clearly Vlad's cunning plan to destory the club and steal our children.

:P

Deodato

Are there any Ugandan players playing at a decent level?

I've not heard of any, but would be interested to know if there are. Would be surprising if there is such undiscovered talent when so many teams have been looking to sign African players.

Are there any Ugandan players playing at a decent level?

I've not heard of any, but would be interested to know if there are. Would be surprising if there is such undiscovered talent when so many teams have been looking to sign African players.

It might be the ranking issue, not sure as I don't know how the visa situation works in mainland Europe. A lot of the African players playing in the top leagues have dual nationality which makes it easier for them to get snapped up at a younger age, the others, like Obua, have to prove themselves to a decent level before they can get the move

That or I'm talking garbage

It might be the ranking issue, not sure as I don't know how the visa situation works in mainland Europe. A lot of the African players playing in the top leagues have dual nationality which makes it easier for them to get snapped up at a younger age, the others, like Obua, have to prove themselves to a decent level before they can get the move

That or I'm talking garbage

Good point - former British protectorate compared to some of the say French colonies where many players have had dual nationality.

Charlie-Brown
Good point - former British protectorate compared to some of the say French colonies where many players have had dual nationality.

Belgium had / have quite relaxed policy towards african players - Beveren had agreements with Ivory Coast club ASEC Mimosa and some other african teams and got players like the Toure brothers, Eboue, etc into the EC and subsequently to Arsenal and other European clubs.

Belgium had / have quite relaxed policy towards african players - Beveren had agreements with Ivory Coast club ASEC Mimosa and some other african teams and got players like the Toure brothers, Eboue, etc into the EC and subsequently to Arsenal and other European clubs.

Almost. Kolo Toure actually signed directly for Arsenal, and had to apply for a work permit. His brother Yaya actually moved out of the EU following a spell with Beveren, and his other brother hasn't played for any of the clubs you specifically mention.

You are right to say that Belgium do have immigration policies that favour the signing of African players. However, for them to come to the UK, they either have to have acquired a EU passport at some point, played enough games for a suitably-ranked nation or else have a c.v. impressive enough to sway a permit appeal panel. Young players may still toil to meet any of these criteria.

Charlie-Brown
Almost. Kolo Toure actually signed directly for Arsenal, and had to apply for a work permit. His brother Yaya actually moved out of the EU following a spell with Beveren, and his other brother hasn't played for any of the clubs you specifically mention.

You are right to say that Belgium do have immigration policies that favour the signing of African players. However, for them to come to the UK, they either have to have acquired a EU passport at some point, played enough games for a suitably-ranked nation or else have a c.v. impressive enough to sway a permit appeal panel. Young players may still toil to meet any of these criteria.

Was there not a stushie about Beveren 'organising' EU passports for players as well as dubious financial links with Arsenal?

Was there not a stushie about Beveren 'organising' EU passports for players as well as dubious financial links with Arsenal?

There was a bit of a fuss about their relationship, aye. However, in terms of players who have actually moved from Beveren to Arsenal, Eboue is the only one, to the best of my knowledge.

Archived