The Lives of Others

cosanostra

Probably the best film i've seen in the last couple of years.

Having just visited Berlin, I've developed an interest in East Germany and this film gives an incredible insight into the fear that people lived in, the corruption of the governing party and what life might have been like in the GDR with the Stasi watching.

Some of the best acting i've seen in ages as well. The guy who plays Wiesler the Stasi captain and Dreyman the writer are particularly good.

The plot, I can only describe as genius. The very last scene in particular is as moving and revealing as anything i've ever seen before.

In terms of films that pack an emotional punch, i'd rate this with Shawshank, La Vita e Bella and It's a Wonderful Life.

A masterpiece. See it if you get the chance.

It is an absolutely brilliant film.

Tremendously thought provoking - and plenty of cues to us about our surveillance society.

I thought that Viz's Bottom Inspectors made many of the same points as the film pretty well though.

The missus is East German and she loves the film. I tried to watch it but, after working my ass off all weekend, I just couldn't keep my eyes open and fell asleep half way through (the fact my TV is tiny and you have to reaaaaaallllyy focus your eyes to read the subtitles doesn't help either.)

If you're interested in the DDR and especially the surveillance aspect of the Stasi, you should read "Stasiland" by Anna Funder. Interesting read with interviews with both former stasi members and those arrested by them.

Although, to be fair, not everything that we were told in the west about how bad DDR life was is true. In some respects, they had some brilliant policies better than our own.

The Real Maroonblood
Probably the best film i've seen in the last couple of years.

Having just visited Berlin, I've developed an interest in East Germany and this film gives an incredible insight into the fear that people lived in, the corruption of the governing party and what life might have been like in the GDR with the Stasi watching.

Some of the best acting i've seen in ages as well. The guy who plays Wiesler the Stasi captain and Dreyman the writer are particularly good.

The plot, I can only describe as genius. The very last scene in particular is as moving and revealing as anything i've ever seen before.

In terms of films that pack an emotional punch, i'd rate this with Shawshank, La Vita e Bella and It's a Wonderful Life.

A masterpiece. See it if you get the chance.

What channel was it on?

LizzyHearts2

I went to see this with my sister when it came out at the flicks. Brilliant film, and as soon as it came out on dvd, i went and bought it.....it's a brill film.....the actor that played Dreyman is called Sebastian Koch who is also in The Black Book which is set during the 2nd world war. These kind of films are the best!

What channel was it on?

Was a DVD procured from Amazon marketplace for about ?3.

You should buy it.

The missus is East German and she loves the film. I tried to watch it but, after working my ass off all weekend, I just couldn't keep my eyes open and fell asleep half way through (the fact my TV is tiny and you have to reaaaaaallllyy focus your eyes to read the subtitles doesn't help either.)

If you're interested in the DDR and especially the surveillance aspect of the Stasi, you should read "Stasiland" by Anna Funder. Interesting read with interviews with both former stasi members and those arrested by them.

Although, to be fair, not everything that we were told in the west about how bad DDR life was is true. In some respects, they had some brilliant policies better than our own.

I have that book but have not read it yet. Looks extremely interesting.

The Real Maroonblood
Was a DVD procured from Amazon marketplace for about ?3.

You should buy it.

Cheers for that.

Pants Shaton

It is an excellent film and should have won best film at the Oscars last year.

It is currently on rotation on Sky Movies.

I went to see this with my sister when it came out at the flicks. Brilliant film, and as soon as it came out on dvd, i went and bought it.....it's a brill film.....the actor that played Dreyman is called Sebastian Koch who is also in The Black Book which is set during the 2nd world war. These kind of films are the best!

I think the guy that played Dreyman actually passed away not all that long ago.

It is a really brilliant film, amazing. I watched it again last week on Sky Movies.

Defo the best film of the last few years.

Had been recommended Stasiland before but had forgotten all about it. Away to order it now.

It is a really brilliant film, amazing. I watched it again last week on Sky Movies.

Had been recommended Stasiland before but had forgotten all about it. Away to order it now.

It was the guy who played Wiesler who died. Stomach cancer i believe.

His character is immense. The point when he realises that he's watching Dreyman for the fat culture minister guy and not for national security, you start to warm to him. The was that Dreyman acknowledges the risk he took for him in the final scene is amazing. He connected with a guy he didn't even know and had never even met and risked his life for him.

What a film, eh?

The Real Maroonblood

His character is immense. The point when he realises that he's watching Dreyman for the fat culture minister guy and not for national security, you start to warm to him. The was that Dreyman acknowledges the risk he took for him in the final scene is amazing. He connected with a guy he didn't even know and had never even met and risked his life for him.

What a film, eh?

I managed to get the film to-day at Zavvi's.

I've just bought this on DVD. Is it fair to say it's comparable to Orwell's 1984?

It is less inventive and less bleak than 1984 (the book anyway).

But it is a great film. These sorts of surveillance things did happen (and are happening these days in one form or another).

chester copperpot

A trully fantastic film Cosa. I'm pretty sure one of the cast has died since its release, which was a shame, but the film was superb.

You have a good taste in film sir, wish I could remember the actors name, but without googling me, it escapes me.

Sorry if posted earlier.

Going to watch it later on now, its a cracker.

chester copperpot

What a film, eh?

Sorry, just read this thread, feel like a tw@t now.

He died last summer (Wiesler).

Would echo the recommendations for Stasiland.

A trully fantastic film Cosa. I'm pretty sure one of the cast has died since its release, which was a shame, but the film was superb.

You have a good taste in film sir, wish I could remember the actors name, but without googling me, it escapes me.

Sorry if posted earlier.

Going to watch it later on now, its a cracker.

Reckon i'll give it a bit of time before watching it again. I love watching brilliant films a 2nd time and just taking in more of the detail and subtelty.

Archived