What is a chipped Xbox 360?

RoyCropper

Thinking about getting a 360 or PS3 but heard one of my mates going on about getting it chipped. Anyone know what this is and what are its advantages if i do?

Im not even sure if its legal because i havent heard anyone else talking about this.

The advantages include never having to pay for games again. You can burn your own with a semi-decent laptop.

The cons include getting banned from Xbox Live if Microsoft find out.

And no, it's not legal.

Chipped means adding a electronic device known as a modchip to the xbox.

This then allows you to play copied games meaning that you can download games instead of buying them.

It is illegal.

Microsoft ban chipped consoles from Xbox live.

jack D and coke

If your not fussy about playing online then go for it but if you want to play on LIVE (and online play is quality) then forget it. MS eventually catch them out and your barred from LIVE.

In the Middle East you can "chip" a PSP for about 3 quid, and then give the shop an external hard drive and get about 150 games put on it for 30 quid. All it involves is changing the operating system to 3.7.3 I think. You can also do it with a PS2 so I daresay they can do it for PS3 or XBOX. All I can say is, if you're going to Dubai, take your games console with you!!!

blondejamtart

Interesting - my son is yapping on at me to get his XBox 360 chipped, but as he spends 99% of his time on XBox Live, I take it this would not be a good idea then? He reckons he can still get away with having it chipped, but I had my doubts and reading this thread has just confirmed them. XBox experts out there - if he spends so much time on Live, is it really a bad idea to have the XBox chipped?

heartsfc_fan
Interesting - my son is yapping on at me to get his XBox 360 chipped, but as he spends 99% of his time on XBox Live, I take it this would not be a good idea then? He reckons he can still get away with having it chipped, but I had my doubts and reading this thread has just confirmed them. XBox experts out there - if he spends so much time on Live, is it really a bad idea to have the XBox chipped?

My mate has a chipped 360 and uses Live. I think he mentioned something about you can "hide" your IP address or something. Not 100% sure

jack D and coke

I've not known anyone personally to have their machine chipped and regularly play on LIVE but i've heard about people getting barred once MS finally catch them. Some of the dashboard updates are specifically to catch them. Probably have a lot to do with your luck. You might get away with it for a while but i've had chipped phones/settop boxes etc and eventually they cut them off. You only get away with it for so long.

BJT,

I believe that Microsoft have peddled the rumour that you cannot use chipped 360's on Live for much the same reasons that swimming pools say that if you pee in the pool it turns blue. ;)

BJT,

I believe that Microsoft have peddled the rumour that you cannot use chipped 360's on Live for much the same reasons that swimming pools say that if you pee in the pool it turns blue. ;)

That is a bit worrying. Since pools all appear to be blue, does that mean that they are nothing but pee?

I always thought the rumour was that they turned pink. and the one at Trinity Academy was always about 80% chlorine/20% water anyway.

That is a bit worrying. Since pools all appear to be blue, does that mean that they are nothing but pee?

I always thought the rumour was that they turned pink. and the one at Trinity Academy was always about 80% chlorine/20% water anyway.

Pedantry at it's best! :)

i'd be very careful. one of mates had his original xbox chipped and microsoft busted him downloading games. they done something to his machine online and sent him an email telling him it wouldn't work anymore (which it didn't) and if he wanted to play an xbox again he'd have to buy a new one and pay for the games he played.

Guest S.U.S.S.

Once caught the id is banned from live, so is the machines serial no so even unmodding it means nothing.

If you are going to do this pick up a cheap 360 on ebay and use that, DO NOT do it on the machine you use for LIVE.

There are a lot of 360s modded, so it takes time to catch them all, but this is M$ we are talking about, they will catch you and ban you.

Archived