Virus advice needed

deejpee

Looking for alittle help guys and girls..

Was online for abit after work a couple of hours ago and everything was ok with the comp. Checked all the footy scores and also my betting account to see that iv won feck all. Closed everything, went and made a cuppa, back upstairs and there was a msg from AVG (which is the free version) saying A.bin file is missing.

I never download anything really, just use comp for football websites and a spot of online gambling. I done a search and it found 185 warnings, all seems to be roaming cookies?! Any advice? They are apparently low risk? I got myself that spyware doctor but to remove anything it seems you need to pay which id prefer not to do.

Any advice welcome as not got a scooby about these things.. Cheers :toasting:

The cookies aren't really something to worry about, although you should really delete as since you say you go on gambling sites these cookies are probably just rubbish. I can tell you how to delete these but you will need to tell me what interent browser you are using e.g. do you click on Interent Explorer or Firefox to open up the interent?

Best thing to do re A.Bin file is reinstall AVG and make sure you have the latest version/updates. Not sure what caused that tbh.

Also do you have a firewall installed?

The cookies aren't really something to worry about, although you should really delete as since you say you go on gambling sites these cookies are probably just rubbish. I can tell you how to delete these but you will need to tell me what interent browser you are using e.g. do you click on Interent Explorer or Firefox to open up the interent?

Best thing to do re A.Bin file is reinstall AVG and make sure you have the latest version/updates. Not sure what caused that tbh.

Also do you have a firewall installed?

I took your advice and uninstalled AVG then reinstalled. However now it is coming up that its outdated, tried to update but it cannot connect with update server? I seem to have a firewall on the computer eventhough all I have put on is this AVG that a guy in work gave me on a disc. Has worked fine for the month that I have used it on the comp. Windows security is telling me to go online and find a different anti virus option? Is it possible the guy in work has given me a disc that only works for a certain period of days?

I use internet explorer to open the net.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated!

I took your advice and uninstalled AVG then reinstalled. However now it is coming up that its outdated, tried to update but it cannot connect with update server? I seem to have a firewall on the computer eventhough all I have put on is this AVG that a guy in work gave me on a disc. Has worked fine for the month that I have used it on the comp. Windows security is telling me to go online and find a different anti virus option? Is it possible the guy in work has given me a disc that only works for a certain period of days?

The disk you have probably has an old version of AVG, a a few months ago they released 8.0. You can download the newest version for free here

http://www.download.com/AVG-Anti-Virus-Free-Edition/3000-2239_4-10320142.html?tag=lst-1&cdlPid=10861654

It won't allow you to update as they want you to use the new version above, once you install this you should be fine.

To delete the cookies you need to do the following:

Click on Tools - Internet Options - Delete (underneath browsing history on the general tab) - Delete all.

However this will delete any of your usernames/passwords that show automatically when you use specific sites. You just need to enter these again then you will be ok. Try to do this once a month or so to be on the safe side.

Just changed my anti virus tonight from PC Tools to AVG.

I now have the same prob.

But we are not alone.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080816144539AAYObI0

The disk you have probably has an old version of AVG, a a few months ago they released 8.0. You can download the newest version for free here

http://www.download.com/AVG-Anti-Virus-Free-Edition/3000-2239_4-10320142.html?tag=lst-1&cdlPid=10861654

It won't allow you to update as they want you to use the new version above, once you install this you should be fine.

To delete the cookies you need to do the following:

Click on Tools - Internet Options - Delete (underneath browsing history on the general tab) - Delete all.

However this will delete any of your usernames/passwords that show automatically when you use specific sites. You just need to enter these again then you will be ok. Try to do this once a month or so to be on the safe side.

ARRRGHH!

Don't bother with the AVG bit. I've just opened up AVG myself and done an update and got the same problem as you!!!

:mad:

Maybe you should try another anti-virus?

http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html

Never tried the above, but it might be worth a shot.

Or you could try Zonealarm (the full version, with anti-virus). It's not free, but I've had it for about a year and I think it's really good.

http://www.zonealarm.com/store/content/catalog/products/zonealarm_internet_security_suite.jsp

Yeh your right Jayel it seems pretty widespread. I was worried it was just me..

Thanks for your help Bordeaux, im gonna download that avast that was in the link that Holymoly posted. Will maybe return to AVG next week once the repairs/problems have been sorted.

Great way to spend a Saturday night eh :(

I moved to Avira from AVG a few weeks ago (on the advice of Commander Harris) and it's doing a better, faster job than AVG.

Zonealarm has had some compatibility issues with recent Windows XP updates, so I switched to Comodo, which is excellent.

Smitfraudfix is a superb cleaning tool for getting rid of those persistent, nasty pop ups and spyware bugs that it's often difficult to get rid of and CCleaner is worth using from time to time too.

Miller Jambo 60

Was online for abit after work a couple of hours ago and everything was ok with the comp. Checked all the footy scores and also my betting account to see that iv won feck all. Closed everything, went and made a cuppa, back upstairs and there was a msg from AVG (which is the free version) saying A.bin file is missing.

I never download anything really, just use comp for football websites and a spot of online gambling. I done a search and it found 185 warnings, all seems to be roaming cookies?! Any advice? They are apparently low risk? I got myself that spyware doctor but to remove anything it seems you need to pay which id prefer not to do.

If you have a disc re-boot the lot

Miller Jambo 60

Thougt you had the clap ma ha

best antivirus out there = ESET smart security (nod32)

best spyware remover = uniblue spyeraser

best registry cleaner and i mean THE best = ccleaner

use all 3 and your pc will be clean from any viruses/spyware and run realy fast

Archived