Olympics - British or Scottish

chester copperpot

chester copperpot

Following on from the Scottish not British thread, thought I'd have a wee cheeky taster on here.

During the olympics, do you regard yourself as British or Scottish?

I always regard myself as British so no question for me, but for the other guys out there, what do you think?

I dont want to turn this into an SNP/Labour/Conservative thread BTW. ;)

Well for me im Scottish so i view the winners at the games to be Scottish aswell. Although it will be a British medal tally i still regard them as separate simply because they would be at a commonwealth games - excuse spelling, had a few!

chester copperpot
No problems at all saying i consider myself British. Proud of it.

Good man.

Scottish, but I've no issues supporting those in Team GB. Despite what some posters on this board think, being a nationalist doesn't mean that you harbour any animosity towards the rest of the UK. (I'll stop there so it doesn't turn into another of those threads, as the OP suggested it might).

I consider myself Scottish and find it difficult to get behind a team GB. I still watch the Olympics but it doesn't generate the same feeling I get watching Hearts or Scotland. The 100m final today was the closest i've got to that feeling in fact.

I'm pro-independence, though certainly not an out-and-out SNP supporter, but I've got no problem supporting British victories at the Olympics.

At the same time, I'd quite like to rattle the arse of Kelly Sothernton (sp?), yet I think she's a shoooooite competitor. Go figure.

well done to all our atheletes, now our over hyped/ paid track and field numpties will be lucky to get more than 1 medal

Hearts of Vladland

I normally say i'm British but all the people on holiday how try to get you into the shop always say you English and it does my tits in so I always say now Scottish.

Scottish, but I've no issues supporting those in Team GB. Despite what some posters on this board think, being a nationalist doesn't mean that you harbour any animosity towards the rest of the UK. (I'll stop there so it doesn't turn into another of those threads, as the OP suggested it might).

Same for me.

Harry Palmer

As it is under the term Great Britain, I feel no shame in supporting them although I consider myself Scottish. (I have a niece and 2 nephews born in England and listening to them saying words in a Scottish accent is fun.)

However, I found myself cheering a little louder for Chris Hoy even though I knew the result. I also got rather excited with the rowing. (I do not have a TV so cannot watch things live.)

Arise, 'Sir' Chris Hoy; and well deserved. The greatest Scottish Olympian ever. Get him knighted... He has had to retrain from the 1km race which was removed from the Olympics, to the team sprint, keirin and individual sprint(?). He's up for gold today(Sunday), if he is not given a knighthood then there will be many angry people, maybe?!

chester copperpot
As it is under the term Great Britain, I feel no shame in supporting them although I consider myself Scottish. (I have a niece and 2 nephews born in England and listening to them saying words in a Scottish accent is fun.)

However, I found myself cheering a little louder for Chris Hoy even though I knew the result. I also got rather excited with the rowing. (I do not have a TV so cannot watch things live.)

Arise, 'Sir' Chris Hoy; and well deserved. The greatest Scottish Olympian ever. Get him knighted... He has had to retrain from the 1km race which was removed from the Olympics, to the team sprint, keirin and individual sprint(?). He's up for gold today(Sunday), if he is not given a knighthood then there will be many angry people, maybe?!

Eh? but you've got a computer, get it on BBCi my man.

I'm pro-independence, though certainly not an out-and-out SNP supporter, but I've got no problem supporting British victories at the Olympics.

At the same time, I'd quite like to rattle the arse of Kelly Sothernton (sp?), yet I think she's a shoooooite competitor. Go figure.

She should not have ditched her Dutch coach who guided her to a bronze four years ago.

On a personal note, I've met the lady in question and a very nice person she was (although it was an effort to keep the desire that you mentioned under restraint - that was more of a challenge when I came across Swedish high-jumper Kajsa Bergqvist.... just off for a cold shower.......)

She should not have ditched her Dutch coach who guided her to a bronze four years ago.

On a personal note, I've met the lady in question and a very nice person she was (although it was an effort to keep the desire that you mentioned under restraint - that was more of a challenge when I came across Swedish high-jumper Kajsa Bergqvist.... just off for a cold shower.......)

:24_shocked:

I'm 100% behind Team GB and take great pride when any participants put in PBs, records and, particularly, medal performances. I love seeing the Union Flag getting hoisted and hearing the anthem when it's a gold. I like it even better when it's a Scot that's done the business. ;)

Scottish, the English National Anthem ****es me off big time, don't get me started on the next English Olympics and that little ****bag Seb Coe. :1222:

portobellojambo1
Following on from the Scottish not British thread, thought I'd have a wee cheeky taster on here.

During the olympics, do you regard yourself as British or Scottish?

I always regard myself as British so no question for me, but for the other guys out there, what do you think?

I dont want to turn this into an SNP/Labour/Conservative thread BTW. ;)

Proud to be Scottish, very, very, very, very proud to be British.

A Boy Named Crow

I'm very slightly less disinterested when it's a Scot who wins, but really it's just the Olympics isn't it - who cares?

PB1 - you used the term "Proud To Be Scottish". You're not that odious wee troll off the Herald website are you???:eek:

I'm 100% behind Team GB and take great pride when any participants put in PBs, records and, particularly, medal performances. I love seeing the Union Flag getting hoisted and hearing the anthem when it's a gold. I like it even better when it's a Scot that's done the business. ;)

I am right behind the British team or Team GB as it is now named and get quite emotional when the National Anthem is played, especially when it is a Scot, but that should be that, there should be no knighthoods handed out willy nilly for someone who happens to be a fast runner or pretty decent on a bike, and yes I am talking about Dame Kelly Holmes, it's a farce.

I am right behind the British team or Team GB as it is now named and get quite emotional when the National Anthem is played, especially when it is a Scot, but that should be that, there should be no knighthoods handed out willy nilly for someone who happens to be a fast runner or pretty decent on a bike, and yes I am talking about Dame Kelly Holmes, it's a farce.

Dame Kelly Holmes is an inspirational figure and fully deserved to be recognised.

The People's Chimp

Really pleased with how well "Team GB" has done so far. An impressive medal haul, and great work from jambo chris hoy.

Careful, you're softening. :rolleyes:

Careful, you're softening. :rolleyes:

You sound eerily like Mrs Therapist. :eek:

Ive always only considered myself Scottish so see no reason to change that now because the olympics is on, not that im that interested in the olympics anyway.

Id probably be slightly more interested in it if Scotland was competing in it under our own flag though.

:24_shocked:

As in met the woman dear boy not..............;)

I'm over in Beijing at the moment supporting all of the British athletes. However, I get a lot more pleasure when a Scot wins than when someone from England, Wales or N Ireland win. If I'd been good enough to make it here as an athlete and win a medal I would want to take a Saltire onto the rostrum

Dame Kelly Holmes is an inspirational figure and fully deserved to be recognised.

She got recognised by being handed a Gold Medal, that's what competing in the Olympics is all about, not gaining knighthoods

blondejamtart
Scottish, but I've no issues supporting those in Team GB. Despite what some posters on this board think, being a nationalist doesn't mean that you harbour any animosity towards the rest of the UK.QUOTE]

Same here, although I admit I do feel that wee bit extra pride when a Scots competitor wins. And I never describe myself as British - always Scottish, especially when I'm abroad.

Lee McConnell who just failed to make the finals of the women's 400m will no doubt be considered Scottish not British by the pundits. Call me a cynic but that's the way it is.

Sheriff Fatman

I'm Scottish, but I am quite happy to support Team GB in the Olympics, in the same way I am quite happy to support Europe in the Ryder Cup.

Lee McConnell who just failed to make the finals of the women's 400m will no doubt be considered Scottish not British by the pundits. Call me a cynic but that's the way it is.

How do you feel about commentators mentioning that medal winning athletes are Scottish? Like they have done with Chris Hoy for example? :rolleyes:

Or are you one of those rabid small-minded nationalists who go out of their way to take offence even when none is intended? :sad:

Archived