Heads Up

magicTs

Another defeat at Ibrox so nothing new there then but to be honest I again saw a number of encouraging things today. In fact the first two weeks have gone better performance wise than I expected (although I did anticipate we would take 3pts). The whole structure, organisation, staff (at half time today we even had a proper warm up with Tam Ritchie and Berger out with the subs!), attitude, team spirit etc have improved massively and it's very evident. Anything today would have been a massive bonus but it's the next run of league games that will help define our season and I'm fairly positive we can take a good haul of points.

First however a few NEGATIVE things :

1. Lee Wallace's critical mistake. Entirely culpable for the first goal at a vital stage of the match after we had silence the unwashed hordes and had a decent foothold in the game. Should never have been nutmegged by a centre half and left the whole defence exposed. I want to see LW given the chance to prove himself but his concentration levels are always suspect and it cost us big time today. Needs to cut out the mistakes.

2. Larry Kingston. I wasn't at the Hull game but heard he was excellent. Well the same can't be said for his contribution in the two league games so far. The guy can be an quality footballer (and a star in the SPL) but his attitude is questionable and I'm far from sure he is a great support for the young right back. Clearly he will continue as an automatic pick for now but I would be moving him to the central role which Ksanavicius has occupied to see if we can get him playing and creating for us.

3. Ksanavicius. Very frustrating player. Has moments were you think something is about to happen, especially when he is in space but play the ball into him with a man on and he's like a wee lassie, knocked off the ball so easily. Too lightweight to be a regular starter, get Kingston into his role.

4. Miko. I like Miko and from what I hear he is a very popular player within the club and the squad, has a good work ethic and a fair bit more potential than we have seen on a regular basis. However, he's a total numpty ! Whether he was correctly booked or not he has to understand that rightly or wrongly he has a reputation and he must learn to stay on his feet if at all possible. He's an obvious and blatant target for ref's when he goes down easily. There was a total inevitability about the second yellow today and it was just so needless. As we saw just last week he has talent but it needs channelled far better and I just hope Csaba can get hold of him and get the best out of him. It's pretty much last chance saloon.

Now to the good stuff and the POSITIVES :

1. Berra and Zaliukas were absolutely immense today and gave as good a performance as any central defence we have sent out at Ibrox in many a year, admittedly Boyd and Velicka aren't very mobile but they handled everything and were composed on the ball to boot. Had little chance of stopping goals and altogether a promising partnership.

2. Karipidis. This guy can play be it in central defence and as the holding player. He is definitely one of the best 11 players at Tynecastle and deserves a place in the side at the moment wherever he fits in. Never gets nervous in possession and is a calming influence.

3. Stewart. Not as influential as last week but there's no doubt he is enjoying his football again under Csaba and for much of the match outshone the considerably more expensive Thomson. I was one that thought he should be binned in the Summer but if he can find the consistency of the first two weeks I'll be all too happy to eat my words.

4. Mole. Not convinced he will be a starter every week , in fact I hope he isn't but he has given his all in both games for little return. He has barely been given a sniff of a goal and has had no chances created for him whatsoever. He looks like he has regained his hunger and drive under the new management regime and he has certainly put some beef on over the Summer meaning he is winning far more challenges. Encouraging and I reckon more to come from him.

5. Csaba's subs, Very refreshing especially given the last couple of years. Happy to make changes early and willing to take anybody off no matter who they are. Going to be very interesting who he starts when we have the new guys fit and available and how he uses those who drop out when coming off the bench.

Anyway, lot's to be positive about and it's so good to feel that we have a manager who can drive us forward. Of course we need a far greater cutting edge but hopefully Driver and Kingston will start to take the correct option and Obua and Tullberg will surely make a difference. Here's to 3pts against St Midden next Saturday.

Charlie-Brown

I thought MacDonald and Thomson did relatively well considering it was a very big game for them both - they could easily have folded but they didn't and stuck to their tasks well - certainly proved whilst they may not be the greatest goalkeeper or right back ever you can at least trust to play them again in important SPL games if needed.

Another defeat at Ibrox so nothing new there then but to be honest I again saw a number of encouraging things today. In fact the first two weeks have gone better performance wise than I expected (although I did anticipate we would take 3pts). The whole structure, organisation, staff (at half time today we even had a proper warm up with Tam Ritchie and Berger out with the subs!), attitude, team spirit etc have improved massively and it's very evident. Anything today would have been a massive bonus but it's the next run of league games that will help define our season and I'm fairly positive we can take a good haul of points.

1. Lee Wallace's critical mistake. Entirely culpable for the first goal at a vital stage of the match after we had silence the unwashed hordes and had a decent foothold in the game. Should never have been nutmegged by a centre half and left the whole defence exposed. I want to see LW given the chance to prove himself but his concentration levels are always suspect and it cost us big time today. Needs to cut out the mistakes.

2. Larry Kingston. I wasn't at the Hull game but heard he was excellent. Well the same can't be said for his contribution in the two league games so far. The guy can be an quality footballer (and a star in the SPL) but his attitude is questionable and I'm far from sure he is a great support for the young right back. Clearly he will continue as an automatic pick for now but I would be moving him to the central role which Ksanavicius has occupied to see if we can get him playing and creating for us.

3. Ksanavicius. Very frustrating player. Has moments were you think something is about to happen, especially when he is in space but play the ball into him with a man on and he's like a wee lassie, knocked off the ball so easily. Too lightweight to be a regular starter, get Kingston into his role.

4. Miko. I like Miko and from what I hear he is a very popular player within the club and the squad, has a good work ethic and a fair bit more potential than we have seen on a regular basis. However, he's a total numpty ! Whether he was correctly booked or not he has to understand that rightly or wrongly he has a reputation and he must learn to stay on his feet if at all possible. He's an obvious and blatant target for ref's when he goes down easily. There was a total inevitability about the second yellow today and it was just so needless. As we saw just last week he has talent but it needs channelled far better and I just hope Csaba can get hold of him and get the best out of him. It's pretty much last chance saloon.

1. Berra and Zaliukas were absolutely immense today and gave as good a performance as any central defence we have sent out at Ibrox in many a year, admittedly Boyd and Velicka aren't very mobile but they handled everything and were composed on the ball to boot. Had little chance of stopping goals and altogether a promising partnership.

2. Karipidis. This guy can play be it in central defence and as the holding player. He is definitely one of the best 11 players at Tynecastle and deserves a place in the side at the moment wherever he fits in. Never gets nervous in possession and is a calming influence.

3. Stewart. Not as influential as last week but there's no doubt he is enjoying his football again under Csaba and for much of the match outshone the considerably more expensive Thomson. I was one that thought he should be binned in the Summer but if he can find the consistency of the first two weeks I'll be all too happy to eat my words.

4. Mole. Not convinced he will be a starter every week , in fact I hope he isn't but he has given his all in both games for little return. He has barely been given a sniff of a goal and has had no chances created for him whatsoever. He looks like he has regained his hunger and drive under the new management regime and he has certainly put some beef on over the Summer meaning he is winning far more challenges. Encouraging and I reckon more to come from him.

5. Csaba's subs, Very refreshing especially given the last couple of years. Happy to make changes early and willing to take anybody off no matter who they are. Going to be very interesting who he starts when we have the new guys fit and available and how he uses those who drop out when coming off the bench.

Anyway, lot's to be positive about and it's so good to feel that we have a manager who can drive us forward. Of course we need a far greater cutting edge but hopefully Driver and Kingston will start to take the correct option and Obua and Tullberg will surely make a difference. Here's to 3pts against St Midden next Saturday.

That sir, is a first class 'post.':)

I thought MacDonald and Thomson did relatively well considering it was a very big game for them both - they could easily have folded but they didn't and stuck to their tasks well - certainly proved whilst they may not be the greatest goalkeeper or right back ever you can at least trust to play them again in important SPL games if needed.

I agree. I was concerned about them both before the game (as you know) but both performed well. I didn't add them to my 'positive list' purely because I genuinely felt they never got tested as I was worried they might ! Other than the save from fatboy Boyd at the start of the 2nd half a Hearts keeper can rarely have had a quieter match at Ibrox and whilst Thomson was involved fairly regularly he never had any pace up against him until really late on. Both did well but it's too ealry to judge and I suspect the new keeper will be in next weekend.

totally agree on most of your points,

kingston wasted on the right of midfield he is at his best coming through the middle

karipidis is a definate starter, looks good in the air, an is solid on the ball, torn between him and zalukas as berras partner, as im not sure he should be playing in midfield

have wanted stewart to do well since he came back and i think this maybe th season for him.

thomson and wallace: well im for giving youth a chance and really hope these two come onto a gme soon but it really needs to happen quickly for them and consitantly, or they will need to step aside.

miko, has got tallent know doubt, again i hope this is his year but he does just have to stay on his feet, cuz he probably will never get a penalty in the spl.

mole: never rated him until i saw him last week and am very impressed with his work rate. just need a goalscorer next to him and we will be doin well

just need a goalscorer next to him and we will be doin well

This to me is the biggest worry with the squad. Who up front is going to score regularly ? Tullberg may prove to be very effective in the SPL but his goal record would suggest he isn't going to score a barrel load and we already know that Nade, Makela and Mole aren't natural goalscorers. Could Glen be the answer ? Possibly but not yet in my opinion. C'mon Vlad bring in a front man.

Thunderstruck

Good thread. It has to be remembered that it is still a makeshift team and that some inexperienced players were on the park today.

Withh Obua, Tullberg and the return of some experienced players we can only improve.

Bert Le Clos

Excellent OP. Agree totally with all points.

Today highlighted what positions we need to fill urgently - full backs and a striker.

Wallace isn't good enough, and may never be given that he's had nearly 3 seasons of 1st team football.

Thompson isn't good enough yet, might never be either.

Karapidis continues to impress me, but I don't see why we play him in midfield. He could possibly play at RB, but I'd rather see Ruben or Eggert in the midfield role.

WE NEED A GOALSCORER.

JamboRossi79

I agree with most of your post although I would add Driver as a dissapointment today as he really should be skinning Broadfoot, FFS it's Kirk Broadfoot, and getting good balls into the box.

I agree with most of your post although I would add Driver as a dissapointment today as he really should be skinning Broadfoot, FFS it's Kirk Broadfoot, and getting good balls into the box.

Agree Driver was hesitant for some reason but hopefully Csaba will get his confidence up and get him attacking fullbacks soon. His decision making in both games so far has been poor and he has chosen the wrong option far too much. I think he will get it right next Saturday.

Pants Shaton

The time to judge Hearts is not an away game against Rangers. A quick look at the stats shows that a win there is exceptional.

The time to judge Csaba's Hearts is at Tynecastle which, once again, must become a 'fortress'. That's what will secure 3rd spot and that's really the best we can hope for.

rudi must stay
The time to judge Hearts is not an away game against Rangers. A quick look at the stats shows that a win there is exceptional.

The time to judge Csaba's Hearts is at Tynecastle which, once again, must become a 'fortress'. That's what will secure 3rd spot and that's really the best we can hope for.

well said. That's why we got 2nd a few years ago, we were beaten there twice all season. Which is achievable imo cos it should only really be the OF that beat us

Not a lot to add to that.

We matched a Rangers team (who cost a hell of a lot more than our squad) on there own patch, they got the breaks we did not.

Two poor teams tbh.

Miller Jambo 60

Played mate

JamboRossi79
well said. That's why we got 2nd a few years ago, we were beaten there twice all season. Which is achievable imo cos it should only really be the OF that beat us

Why ?

We have more than matched both teams home and away in recent years and we should have nothing to fear if we were playing on a level playing field.

Excellent OP. Agree totally with all points.

Today highlighted what positions we need to fill urgently - full backs and a striker.

Wallace isn't good enough, and may never be given that he's had nearly 3 seasons of 1st team football.

Thompson isn't good enough yet, might never be either.

Karapidis continues to impress me, but I don't see why we play him in midfield. He could possibly play at RB, but I'd rather see Ruben or Eggert in the midfield role.

WE NEED A GOALSCORER.

No,sorry.RB would not be good for Karapidis.O-4 Dundee Utd a case in point.He did calm things in the role yesterday and looks more comfortable there.

Jam Tarts 1874

I never fancied our chances at hunbox anyway. 9 points of out 12 from the first 4 games would be a very good place to be. We all know that there are better players about to come into the team over the next few weeks so let's see how they get on.

Csaba has said he wants a 4-4-2 formation, he should have the players available for him to do so by Saturday.

For large parts of the game we were fairly comfortable.

Thought we looked solid at the back apart from Wallace - I like him but I am fast becoming the minority. Thought Thomson had a good game - Im not his biggest fan but he was so much better yesterday than against Motherwell.

We held the ball well, passed it well, got stuck in. There is definately a new passion and belief about Hearts.

2 thing to consider - we have possibly 8 players to add to the starting 11 - Ruben, Jonnson, Bruno, Nade, Glen, Neilson, Obau (sp), Tullberg. And I still reckon we will see another signing.

Rangers have spent around ?14m the last month alone.

willie wallace

Nice to read a thread and agree with just about everything that was said.The general comments and summation of the match could have been from any game at Ibrox over so many years.No matter how well we are playing we just don't seem to be able to do much there.

Looking forward to next week and getting back on track.

Good to read btw.(OP) But sorry to dwell on the negative side, but points 1 and 3 i agree with.

Lee Wallace worries me. He`s starting to look a bit clumsy defensively and for someone who has been involved in the first team for 4 years now it`s time he took his chance, otherwise i think he could be shown the door next season.

Ksanavicius is too inconsistent. He should`nt be a regular starter because he puts 1 good performance in 4 or 5 in. He`s got ability and is tricky but i think he`d be better as a sub who may help turn games.

I just don`t think he`s got the mentality to produce week after week.

Otherwise, great to hear all the positive stuff. Starting to act like a proper football team again and any players who can`t live with the expectation and demands will soon be found out.

Until we bring in better personnel (whenever that may be!) I think this is our best side

Banks

Karipidis (Thomson, Neilson not good enough, Kara composed)

Zaliukas

Berra

New Boy (hopefully, Wallace not good enough)

Johsson

Stewart

Obua (this guy is quality)

Kingston (in middle, off front two)

Tullberg / Nade

Driver (pacy, mobile, could feed off target man)

any players who can`t live with the expectation and demands will soon be found out.

This to me is the biggest positive. I don't for a second believe Csaba will suffer fools gladly as he has shown by subbing Kingston two games running. The concern is how long will he put up with Romanov's nonsense ?

I'm not sure I expected anything but I wanted Hearts to show up.

It sounds as if we did, but then again we only lost at Ibrox last year due to having Coco the Clown in goals.

I agree with PTCBAL above though

That isnt our strongest team and we dont yet have a full squad. With the addition of a couple more players and as many of the injured guys getting back to fitness I think we will get better

I think all of a full fit Nade, Glen and Tullberg would be better than Audrey and Mole.

It appears almost certain Obua will improve us wherever he plays

BUT it is critical the spirit of the squad is not undermined by Romanov.

Archived