Aquired tastes

Daydream Believer

Daydream Believer

Just back from a dinner party where the host was showing off a bit with the food.

Now I'll eat almost anything but I'm not a fan of anchovies, capers, etc. People keep telling me they're aquired tastes but this seems to sugest that they taste crap at first then get better. What's the point in that, just eat something else!

For all I know sh**e on toast could taste great the 20th time you eat it but I'm not gonna try.

Am I just a philistine??

Daydream Believer
It all depends on whether you like Olives.

I do like olives to be fair. I like those ones in the Tobasco jars. As far as I know I always liked them though.

this_is_my_story
Just back from a dinner party where the host was showing off a bit with the food.

Now I'll eat almost anything but I'm not a fan of anchovies, capers, etc. People keep telling me they're aquired tastes but this seems to sugest that they taste crap at first then get better. What's the point in that, just eat something else!

For all I know sh**e on toast could taste great the 20th time you eat it but I'm not gonna try.

Am I just a philistine??

:laugh::laugh:

Know what you mean about the aquired tastes, and what if you end up not liking it anyway!? Or how would you ever know how many more 'tastes' you'd need to actually start liking it?!:confused:

Aquired tastes = Loadabawz!

The People's Chimp
I do like olives to be fair. I like those ones in the Tobasco jars. As far as I know I always liked them though.

Ah you're alright then. Anchovies are tom kite.

anchovies, capers, olives, non-magic mushrooms, raw octopus, caviar, smoked salmon, sardines, mayo.

A list of foods ive tried on more than one occasion and have given me the dry boak every time.

aquired taste = *****y tasting foodstuffs you have to pretend to like to appear grown up! **** that.

anchovies is the devils food i tell ya.......................

i like olives with Galic in them or the pimento ones, also like sun dried tomatoes in olive oil................. got ma taste buds going.. will stick to voddie and iron bru the now;););)

Mussels in vinegar. No-one else seems to like them but me.

i love them to mate my wee girl asks for them everytime we are in the chippy and by the time we get home they are gone lol.

i love them to mate my wee girl asks for them everytime we are in the chippy and by the time we get home they are gone lol.

Quality. That makes 3 of us! The rest are all just classless philistines!

make that 4! Also pickled eggs are the dugs baws. And scallops.

Theres a boat in the harbour here that sells mussells and prawns/shrimp straight from the boat about 2 hours after he catches them. Unbelievably tasty. I normally stick the mussels in a bottle of vinegar and leave em overnight. Cannae beat it!

anchovies, capers, olives, non-magic mushrooms, raw octopus, caviar, smoked salmon, sardines, mayo.

A list of foods ive tried on more than one occasion and have given me the dry boak every time.

aquired taste = *****y tasting foodstuffs you have to pretend to like to appear grown up! **** that.

Have to ask.....

What about the magic variety???;)

take 2 slices of pepperoni pizza, add said magic mushrooms, form a delicious pizza sandwich. Wolf it down, neck a bottle of coke then sit down in a field and have yourself several hours of the most fun ever.

Just never get on an amsterdam tram about 2 hours in...:eek:

take 2 slices of pepperoni pizza, add said magic mushrooms, form a delicious pizza sandwich. Wolf it down, neck a bottle of coke then sit down in a field and have yourself several hours of the most fun ever.

Just never get on an amsterdam tram about 2 hours in...:eek:

Aren't they illegal even in the 'Dam now, too?

The Old Tolbooth

Mate, I love em!!!!

We used to have comps in the pub to see who could eat 3 jars of them the quickest, and then drink the vinegar, it got messy at times! :boak:

Mate, I love em!!!!

We used to have comps in the pub to see who could eat 3 jars of them the quickest, and then drink the vinegar, it got messy at times! :boak:

**** me. Is that all you had to do for fun in Gala in the 40s? Seriously though, that's pretty feckin' impressive if you could keep the vinegar down.

The Old Tolbooth
**** me. Is that all you had to do for fun in Gala in the 40s? Seriously though, that's pretty feckin' impressive if you could keep the vinegar down.

Lol@40's ya cheeky wee scamp :P

The vinegar was the easy part for the folk who couldn't stand the look of the mussels, however I love mussels and it was the killer for me. Many a puke I've had (depending on how drunk I was at the time of course) downing vinegar from a mussel jar!

Lol@40's ya cheeky wee scamp :P

The vinegar was the easy part for the folk who couldn't stand the look of the mussels, however I love mussels and it was the killer for me. Many a puke I've had (depending on how drunk I was at the time of course) downing vinegar from a mussel jar!

sorry cant do the vinegar its horrible with all the grit that floats in it:boak:

Goose Baxter
Curray sauce sandwiches.

I don't know anyone else who touches them.

AS in you have had a curry from the ****** and you are left with all the sauce and you go get a piece of bread and mop it all up???

I do that and its amazing

Aren't they illegal even in the 'Dam now, too?

They werent 6 weeks ago. Tons of different types tho so maybe some are? I dunno to be honest as it wasnt me that bought them. There are a fair few shops peddling them.

AS in you have had a curry from the ****** and you are left with all the sauce and you go get a piece of bread and mop it all up???

I do that and its amazing

Not exactly, I'll go the chinese and get a pot of sauce purely for the reason of sandwiches.

Used to go to school with them in my packed lunch.

I love cockles in vinegar... Mussels I like in brine for some reason. I love all seafood though :)

chester copperpot

:laugh:

Kwality man.

I love anchovies. I always have jar in the house. I get the ones in oil not in salt. Anchovies in salt can be overpowering.

What I love when I go to Spain is Boquerones, which is fresh anchovy done with herbs. If you ever see it in a real Tapas bar, try it. :)

I love anchovies. I always have jar in the house. I get the ones in oil not in salt. Anchovies in salt can be overpowering.

What I love when I go to Spain is Boquerones, which is fresh anchovy done with herbs. If you ever see it in a real Tapas bar, try it. :)

Make sure your bairns are left safely in your hotel room, though. Wouldny want anything happening to them.....

Make sure your bairns are left safely in your hotel room, though. Wouldny want anything happening to them.....

oooh. low blow.

funny tho.

:eek:

Archived