New TV

Cigaro

I got a Wii for my birthday, so I need to buy a TV to play it on.

Willing to spend up to around ?250 (I think :confused:)

Can anyone reccommend anywhere decent, or a decent model?

I'd probably look for a big second hand CRT, you won't get a big enough LCD for that kind of money.

You could try http://www.ebuyer.com/

Cheapest TVs I've seen, you might get a 32" LCD TV for ?300ish

Something like this maybe?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sony-FD-Trinitron-WEGA-KV-32DX150-32-TV_W0QQitemZ180274874262QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item180274874262&_trkparms=72%3A1121|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

If you shop about you could get a 40+inch HDTV for around ?500-600.

I would def suggest hanging off till you've saved up more cash

The Old Tolbooth

I noticed a 42 inch Wharfedale telly in Argos yesterday for ?449, I know it's out your range but just thought I'd mention it in case anyone else fancies one.

If you can save up another ?100-150 you'll be able to get a decent LCD TV Cigaro.

Recently I saw a Sony Bravia 32" in Sainsbury's for ?400, very good deal. Try Richer Sounds, they have some good deals on LG and JVC TVs.

Also, if you have a Makro card they occasionally do excellent deals, as little as ?200+VAT for a cheapo 32" LCD. Decent again, although expect to get what you pay for.

Get yourself a projector from Ebay.

You will get a pretty decent one for ?250.

Give me a shout If you want a hand to look for one.

I have one for playing games(ps3) and watching films. They are ace is you have a big free wall. No need for a screen.

projector is the doggies. get it hooked up to your computer so you can watch telly and movies on it with a great big feck of sound system! Brilliant.

Failing that save up and get the 50" samsung plasma on offer from Novatech. ?695. ?250 on a telly and you'll be wanting a new one this time next year.

Goose Baxter
Get yourself a projector from Ebay.

You will get a pretty decent one for ?250.

Give me a shout If you want a hand to look for one.

I have one for playing games(ps3) and watching films. They are ace is you have a big free wall. No need for a screen.

With the job that i do, i attend a lot of schools that have been broken into. And these are the new things that people steal from the school. The amount off projectors that get nicked is unreal.

Nice wee telly in some hobo junkies house.

Its for my bedroom, so not looking dor anything huge as I really dont have masses of room.

I saw a Goodmans one in Asda which was around ?270 that seemed ok. 26 inch.

fair enough. Make sure it has a flat screen though if your playing your wii on it. When I got my Wii i took it round to a mates house who had a cheap tv and a normal screen. It was keek. The wii couldnt recognise the edges of the screen properly, still playable but if would fe_ck up every now and again

Do The Dance

Try Richer Sounds mate. I bought a very decent LG LCD tv 27" for the bedroom - ?330 about 10 months ago.

I have a 42" in the living room which is far better, but that was a grand more.

Do The Dance
Is that the place on Chambers Street?

Do they have a website?

Yeah, that's the place. Try going into the shop and asking them, if you can. They know their stuff, and will help you to get the best for your cash.

The LG you posted looks decent. Myself, I'd rather have a 26" LG than a 32" Wharfedale or whatever rubbish Asda's coming out with - not all about size... ;)

Yeah, that's the place. Try going into the shop and asking them, if you can. They know their stuff, and will help you to get the best for your cash.

The LG you posted looks decent. Myself, I'd rather have a 26" LG than a 32" Wharfedale or whatever rubbish Asda's coming out with - not all about size... ;)

both HD, both 1080 all the specs match up, both have 1 year guarentee's.

the picture quality is just going to be the same. I'm all about quality when it comes to my purchases anything from food to clothes, quiet happy to pay a bit extra for better quality. However I don't get sucked in by brands. Especially when it comes to supermarkets 'exclusive brands' you'll often find they are manufactured by one of the big brand companies under a different label.

Its for my bedroom, so not looking dor anything huge as I really dont have masses of room.

If you dont have room...flog the wii,because thats one thing with a wii,you need space as youll be jumpin around like a numpty!

If you dont have room...flog the wii,because thats one thing with a wii,you need space as youll be jumpin around like a numpty!

I've got the room for that, but not the space to place a huge TV on, and the walls wont support a wall mounted effort.

both HD, both 1080 all the specs match up, both have 1 year guarentee's.

the picture quality is just going to be the same. I'm all about quality when it comes to my purchases anything from food to clothes, quiet happy to pay a bit extra for better quality. However I don't get sucked in by brands. Especially when it comes to supermarkets 'exclusive brands' you'll often find they are manufactured by one of the big brand companies under a different label.

I work in Tesco, so I've been having a wee look there.

I'm sure Technika is something like Panasonic or something.

What sort of things should I be looking for? Contrast ratio etc?

I work in Tesco, so I've been having a wee look there.

I'm sure Technika is something like Panasonic or something.

What sort of things should I be looking for? Contrast ratio etc?

obviously make sure it's HD. looking for a 1080, 1080p is better if you are being picky but there is very little difference between that and 1080i.

I'm not overly technically minded myself, what I done was find the top end of the range ion the store (Think I compared my TV to an expensive sony model) looked at the specs of that and made sure the one I was getting was the same. Same specs at half the price.

obviously make sure it's HD. looking for a 1080, 1080p is better if you are being picky but there is very little difference between that and 1080i.

I'm not overly technically minded myself, what I done was find the top end of the range ion the store (Think I compared my TV to an expensive sony model) looked at the specs of that and made sure the one I was getting was the same. Same specs at half the price.

Thats what I've been trying to do.

Just gonna keep looking. One of my mates was urging me to haggle instore as they arent getting many sales on elecricals currently...

Cheers.

Asda had the one I was most tempted with. (The Goodmans 26" was ?269 instore I think) Best selection outwith Currys etc IMO.

I think I may go out browsing tomorrow.

I have a freeview recorder (Humax pvr9200t or whatever) whats the impact of having this and a tv with built in freeview ? Can I watch freeview on the tv and then record 2 channels on the freeview recorder (it has 2 tuners) ? So in effect I have 3 freeview channels ? Gawd this sounds messy :P

heartsfc_fan

I've got a wee 19" HD LCD TV in my bedroom. Its big enough.

I would recommend probably a 26" MAX for your bedroom mate. I know someone who has a 37" in his bedroom - and it just takes up the whole room and looks stupid.

Bought my mum a Goodmans - wouldn't recommend them at all. After a year and a bit the picture was distorted with (the ultimate nightmare) green faces :mad::mad::mad:.

Needless to say the Goodmans TV was ditched and I bought her a LG - lovely telly - just a bit out of the OP's price range.

BoJack Horseman

You realised those are monitors, not tellys though, right?

Course you do.

Anyway, my mate did that, bought a monitor instead, purely cause it was for gaming. Cheaper than a telly ususally and the quality is superb. If it's purely for gaming, i'd go for one of them, be handy to hook a computer up to too.

You realised those are monitors, not tellys though, right?

Course you do.

Anyway, my mate did that, bought a monitor instead, purely cause it was for gaming. Cheaper than a telly ususally and the quality is superb. If it's purely for gaming, i'd go for one of them, be handy to hook a computer up to too.

Yeah. The second one has freeview on it too though, so I'd guess its basically a TV/monitor rather than a TV.

Its mainly for gaming and DVDs though tbh as the signal for TV is so poor.

They're not monitors, they're TVs.

I'd say the LG ones on ebuyer are better than the Tesco ones, but they're probably all much of a muchness until you get into the Panasonic Viera/ Sony Bravia territory.

Neither of the LG ones are reviewed on Which? The page for the wee TVs is here;

http://www.which.co.uk/reviews/portable-tvs

They're not monitors, they're TVs.

I'd say the LG ones on ebuyer are better than the Tesco ones, but they're probably all much of a muchness until you get into the Panasonic Viera/ Sony Bravia territory.

Neither of the LG ones are reviewed on Which? The page for the wee TVs is here;

http://www.which.co.uk/reviews/portable-tvs

The LG ones work out the same price as the Tesco ones when I take off my discount.

Decided to go with the Sony.

Haven't found a bad review yet.

Cheers Doc for finding that, and cheers to everyone who helped.

Archived