Pubs in Amsterdam?

KisLas

Hey,

don't usualy do this but don't want to miss the Rangers match. Anyone has ideas where to watch the game in Amsterdam?

There's a huge sports bar on the Leidseplein, with about 25 TVs showing different games, so you should be okay!

There's a huge sports bar on the Leidseplein, with about 25 TVs showing different games, so you should be okay!

I'll second that. Depends what area you are in... but I have a feeling I know what area you'll be in, close to, around... ;)

Patrick Bateman

After the game, I'd recommend a trip to "The Blue Dolphin" or "The Rokery"

;)

Hey,

don't usualy do this but don't want to miss the Rangers match. Anyone has ideas where to watch the game in Amsterdam?

Its not on telly anywhere!

Its not on telly anywhere!

It is in Lithuania. Maybe some other countries too.

Edit: looks like Lithuanian Sport1 has the exlusive rights.

Thanks! Any more tips on Amsterdam?

There is only one (.) (.) bar in Amsterdam.

Please note it's not a free for all - no grabbing permitted! My mate somehow made this mistake... :rofl:

The Globe Bar in the RLD will have it on Kislas. As you come out of Centraal Station head for the RLD and it is over the first bridge and to your left hand side.

I watched Stampy score a memorable winner in there at Easter Road. A few English lads who had been calling us Jocks all day got the fright of their lives when it went in as about 20 lads started going chicken oriental.

Good day. Good quality coffee shop just over the bridge as well call the Greenhouse Effect. Coffee was ace. If you know what I mean.

I have been to the dam 8 times in the last 6 years and by far and away the best bar for live football is Teasers on Damrak. Or the Grasshopper. Thats the only places I go when I'm there.

Auld Reekin'

Check this out:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~patto1ro/pubs.htm

Some very good recommendations for the more traditional and "conventional" (i.e. "non-smoking", no dancing-girls!) pubs in the city. Been to quite a few on his list - had been to quite a few of them before I knew of the excistence of this guide - and they've all been good.

Utrechtsraat is a good street for bars and restaurants, etc., but again they're all pretty "respectable" so it all depends what you're looking for! :)

I have been to the dam 8 times in the last 6 years and by far and away the best bar for live football is Teasers on Damrak. Or the Grasshopper. Thats the only places I go when I'm there.

Teasers at 8 euros for a flat glass of beer?

You must be minted mate.

Teasers at 8 euros for a flat glass of beer?

You must be minted mate.

:rofl:

Teasers is a one trick pony.

The Grasshopper is universally despised by the member cafes of the coffeshop bund.

With all due respect to Truejambo81, but you really have to go and explore!

Ease yourself into it. Don't just buy the strongest stuff you can get straight away!

Old Highlander always shows the scottish games no matter who is playing, pretty good bar staff as well.

Sint Jacobsstraat 8

1012 NC Amsterdam, Netherlands

020 4208321

:rofl:

Teasers is a one trick pony.

The Grasshopper is universally despised by the member cafes of the coffeshop bund.

With all due respect to Truejambo81, but you really have to go and explore!

I was there on business a couple of weeks ago. They have banned smoking in bars and you'll never guess what. They are checking coffee shops to see that the spliffs have no tobacco in them!!!

You couldn't make it up.

Check this out:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~patto1ro/pubs.htm

Some very good recommendations for the more traditional and "conventional" (i.e. "non-smoking", no dancing-girls!) pubs in the city. Been to quite a few on his list - had been to quite a few of them before I knew of the excistence of this guide - and they've all been good.

Utrechtsraat is a good street for bars and restaurants, etc., but again they're all pretty "respectable" so it all depends what you're looking for! :)

Thanks! What about the prices. What's the average for i.e. beer or dinner?

Thanks! What about the prices. What's the average for i.e. beer or dinner?

Beer = 4-5 Euro a pint, depends where you go really.

Dinner = again, depends where you go.

If you are splashing out, there is a lovely Italian called Casa David, just along from the flower Market (Herengracht?) It's really good, food is brilliant, but it seemed expensive when i was there in April, compared to being there before, although that could be a pound/euro rate exchange thing...

I was there on business a couple of weeks ago. They have banned smoking in bars and you'll never guess what. They are checking coffee shops to see that the spliffs have no tobacco in them!!!

You couldn't make it up.

FFS thats a bit much. I'm all for the smoking ban in restaurants. In bars? fair enough I can see the point but a coffee shop in Amsterdam!! Get a grip.

You couldn't make it up.

LOL

Red Tops all round then! :rolleyes:

Just knock on one of the tarts' windows and ask if you can watch her telly! :P;)

Quipping "Whats on the box?" as you go.....:o

I had some lovely sensymelia when I was there.

Good to see the old stuff is still the best. All that Northern Lights and Super skunk is a waste of time as you get monged.

Patrick Bateman

Stay away from vapourisers unless you want to see through time and space.

;)

Auld Reekin'

If you are splashing out, there is a lovely Italian called Casa David, just along from the flower Market (Herengracht?) It's really good, food is brilliant, but it seemed expensive when i was there in April, compared to being there before, although that could be a pound/euro rate exchange thing...

Maybe a bit less for a "pint" / half litre (3-4 euros?) away from the station / Damrak inner city centre. If you want value for money, avoid the obvious tourist places and go to the ordinary pubs where the locals drink. The Ron Pattison guide should give some good suggestions for reasonably-priced drinking.

As Boris says - and like anywhere else, I think - the cost of eating out will depend on where you go. If you are looking for fairly low prices, the best places are the various types of Eetcafes: these often serve food from both Surinaams, in the Dutch East Indies, and Indonesia. Both cuisines are quite hot and spicy, but this depends on what sauces you put on them! A really good and cheap one is the Warung Spang Makandra (! :)) which is in a small square at the junction of Ferdinand Bolstraat and Albert Cuypstraat in the 'Oud Zuid' district. They don't serve alcohol there, but the food is great and quite cheap (7 euros or under for a main course).

Otherwise, of course, there are sandwich shops and bakeries where you can buy food quite cheaply.

It's a great city - enjoy it!

I know for a fact that the Banana Bar is showing it, just head down their get yersel a nice front row seat... sorted... ;)

Hey,

You could try here:-

http://cheapbeer020.blogspot.com/2007/05/cafe-de-zon.html

Its where we've adopted as our local in Amsterdam. The owner Rik's knowledge of football is unbelievable and the place is covered with framed football tops from all over the world. He is also now a Jambo after our trips. I sent him stuff over after the 2006 cup final which he now has framed on the wall.

You could try here:-

http://cheapbeer020.blogspot.com/2007/05/cafe-de-zon.html

Its where we've adopted as our local in Amsterdam. The owner Rik's knowledge of football is unbelievable and the place is covered with framed football tops from all over the world. He is also now a Jambo after our trips. I sent him stuff over after the 2006 cup final which he now has framed on the wall.

I think I've been there a couple of times. There are photos of the owner (?) with the De Boers at Parkhead for an OF game?

I remember seeing a 2006 Cup Winners T-shirt on the ceiling and commenting...

If it's not the same place then there are two boozers in Amsterdam with Hearts stuff!

Anyone know of an establishment on Sunny Beach, Bulgaria. Im sure their must be some 'Rangers minded' pubs who will pick up transmission?

Cant believe you've been to the dam 8 times in 6 years and your recommending the grasshopper and teasers!!!!!!

I think I've been there a couple of times. There are photos of the owner (?) with the De Boers at Parkhead for an OF game?

I remember seeing a 2006 Cup Winners T-shirt on the ceiling and commenting...

If it's not the same place then there are two boozers in Amsterdam with Hearts stuff!

That will be the one mate! Rik is good mates with the De Boer's and is also good mates with Edgar Davids uncle.

That's my gear on the wall...!!!

there is a scottish bar on your left hand side if you walk bettween the square and the train station. i watched a hearts hibs game there once, was sat next to a random hobo haha

A few English lads who had been calling us Jocks all day got the fright of their lives when it went in as about 20 lads started going chicken oriental.

Typical Leeds United bully. Likes overwhelming numbers in their favour before getting stroppy. :o

As for bars, I'd recommend de Kroon in Rembrandtsplein and Cafe Luxembourg at the bottom of Leidseplein. I met Frank Rijkaard in the latter.

there is a lovely Italian called Casa David, just along from the flower Market (Herengracht?)

It's called Casa di David (to be pedantic). Walk down the Leidseplein and hang a left at the canal at the bottom. It's the dog's dangly bits - wood fired pizza oven etc....;)

Also give Rose's Cantina a try if you're into Mexican food and top notch margaritas. :P

We went there to, it was very nice but a bit pricey, there is another Italian (can't remember it's name) not far from there which is in a basement and has a nightclub above it that was good to and a bit cheaper.

Typical Leeds United bully. Likes overwhelming numbers in their favour before getting stroppy. :o

As for bars, I'd recommend de Kroon in Rembrandtsplein and Cafe Luxembourg at the bottom of Leidseplein. I met Frank Rijkaard in the latter.

For the record there were more of them than us. Unlike Chelsea HMFC are not all mouth and no trousers.

Toxteth O'Grady

If the weather is good get a carry out and a picnic and spend the afternoon in the Vondel Park

Archived