Cosgrove on Manager Styles

slashishere

from todays Daily ******, I particulary like the last line!

Bosses Laszlo And Levein Are Lof Double Act

Aug 14 2008 Cosgrove

THE first week of the SPL already has the look of business as usual - the Old Firm grinding out results and leaving suspicion and ill-feeling in their wake. Thank God for Hamilton and their stirring start.

Neither Rangers nor Celtic can take any great pride in their performances so far and if there was anything remotely resembling justice would have not escaped the opening weekend unscathed.

As Walter Smith and Gordon Strachan try to win over their doubting fans it is two other managers neutrals must look to light up the campaign. There can't be two more contrasting styles in world football than those of Dundee United's defeated manager Craig Levein and the charismatic new Hearts boss Csaba Laszlo.

Levein spent the weekend laying out his quietly efficient stall. He trains his squad ruthlessly throughout the week but come matchday fades into the background with no team talk and no trackside antics. In most games Levein doesn't even descend from the stand until half-time.

Only a shocker of a first half against Accies forced him to break with his preferred routine.

Meanwhile, Laszlo's dug-out body language could win him a jitterbug contest. His flamboyance is a great new addition to the theatre of Scottish football.

I have always been a keen scholar ofdug-out behaviour. In the end it says very little about the eventual outcome of medals or championships but it's an important sideshow when the main action is boring.

How many times has a game seemingly sprung to life because of trackside rants or a dispute between a manager and opposing fans?

I witnessed a good one last Saturday when St Johnstone's midfield enforcer Martin Hardie clattered Morton's Alex Walker.

Rightly, Greenock boss Davie Irons cried foul but his intervention was nothing more than throwing oil on burning water.

In the eyes of the visiting St Johnstone fans this was not Irons, the Morton manager, protecting an injured player. It was Irons, the former Gretna boss.

Unanimously and instinctively they rose up to question his parentage and private life. It all added to a good game and a share of the spoils.

We should not underestimate trackside behaviour. Only goalmouth incidents and disputed penalties can raise the temperature higher.

My friend and fellow columnist Tam Cowan occupies a seat at Motherwell behind the away dug-out knowing the immediate area will be a cauldron of abuse, savage one-liners and withering put-downs. According to Tam, it's the best seat in the house.

He tells a funny story about Well's game against Rangers days after the UEFA Cup Final. As Walter Smith and Ally McCoist rose to contest a decision, an old man in the home area shouted at the match commander, "Officer, set the dogs on them".

Trackside activity is an important sideshow which is why I welcome Laszlo to Scottish football. Hearts supporters will see him as a great motivating force while opposition fans will be irritated by his boundless enthusiasm. He is the spark that will fire up the matchday action.

Dug-out demeanour is often the difference between success and failure. I remain convinced Billy Stark's gentlemanly conduct at St Johnstone did not endear him to our fans while the more voluble and outwardly enthusiastic Owen Coyle was always odds on to win them over.

In football, style matters. Think of the outrageous Simon Stainrod. When he was boss at Dundee my mates used to froth at the mouth when he took his place by the dug-out. Secretly, I admired his self-confident swagger.

I'm sure Stainrod chose to sport a fedora not to protect him from a passing shower but to wind up opposition fans. The man was a natural showman as a player and could not let that go when he moved into management. His demeanour said it all, "I'm the best player in this stadium so look at me if the match gets boring".

In a season when Scotland's biggest and best-funded clubs look like they will need to grind out results with the help of luck and questionable decisions we may have to look elsewhere for entertainment.

Try the Hearts dug out - I think a new star is among us.

Guys like this are so refreshing. How many other Scottish football journalists manage to write so many paragraphs barely mentioning the Old Firm?

Well done Cosgrove, there is more to Scottish football than these parasites.

In a season when Scotland's biggest and best-funded clubs look like they will need to grind out results with the help of luck and questionable decisions we may have to look elsewhere for entertainment.

Good to see honesty and realism creeping in, psuedo "journalists"/sycophants take note!!

How much longer can the games governing bodies carry on ignoring public opinion ?

Even Chick Dung is having a pop at the GFA, yet they swanny on oblivious...........chrisis ?.........what crisis

Try the Hearts dug out - I think a new star is among us.

How long till a referee puts paid to that and sends him to the stands.?:sad:

marshallschunkychicken

'Meanwhile, Laszlo's dug-out body language could win him a jitterbug contest.'

He almost reminds me of the Cat in Red Dwarf. :)

Fergie_Jambo
How long till a referee puts paid to that and sends him to the stands.?:sad:

To be fair he only shouts at his players - well so far anyway

In the eyes of the visiting St Johnstone fans this was not Irons, the Morton manager, protecting an injured player. It was Irons, the former Gretna boss.

Great article- I really rate this guy... without him Scottish football would be worth so much less.

The Old Tolbooth

I cant wait to see him at fester road during the first derby :D

As opposed to Mixup who falls out with every other manager/player in the league at least once every game.

Fat wheezing embarassment of a man.

Hope he's there for many many more years to come !!:107years::)

Dirk Diggler
I cant wait to see him at fester road during the first derby :D

You think he'll still be here?

:peepwall:

:laugh:

Peter Olivers Army

Always good to read stuff from Cosgrove or Cowan. They might take an occasional dig at us but it's usually spot on.

Their preferred targets have always been the bigot brothers.

More power to their pens.

Archived