Restaurant recommendation for a big group for a 60th

Benzinho

Ok folks, it's my Dad's 60th birthday coming up soon and I'm looking to organise a meal with approx. 20 people. I need recommendations of good restaurants where they can take a booking for a table for about that number, maybe even somewhere with a separate room or area, although it doesn't have to have that.

Nowhere too expensive or fancy and nowhere too loud. Just a decent restaurant with a good atmosphere and good food. Not fussed about the type of food.

Cheers in advance.

Father Tiresias

We had a family meal for my daughter's 18th at the Backstage Bistro in Valleyfield Street.

You can take over the place as it's not that big, put up balloons, etc and above all the food's good!

jambos are go!

Merchants in Merchant Street off the Grassmarket fits the Bill IMO. Great atmosphere and they do a fixed price menu of under ?25. Food great as well.

Nucky Thompson

A few years ago now, a big family group of us went to Lancers Indian restuarant in Stockbridge. They have a private room with a big banqueting table and it's own bar etc..You get your own waiters and barman:) Very nice, but like I say that was a few years ago.

The Real Maroonblood

The Steading at Hillend is excellent. I have been there for various birthday functions. 445 1128

Chinese Manor House in Corstorphine brilliant been there a few times with the whole family great atmosphere great service and most of all the best chinese food.

i took a big party of people down to khubla khans for my birthday a couple of years ago. set price of about ?24 for 3 courses, and as mush as you can eat of the main courses.

its VERY nice and handles large groups very well.

also, was in khushi's on victoria street for a birthday a few weeks ago. thinik there was about 25 there and they have a seperate part for large parties. with it being a BYOB place too, it can work out nice and cheap too

Jambojohnnyboy
Merchants in Merchant Street off the Grassmarket fits the Bill IMO. Great atmosphere and they do a fixed price menu of under ?25. Food great as well.

Would agree with Merchants. Good choice of food on the menu that should see all happy.

Walter Bishop
Ok folks, it's my Dad's 60th birthday coming up soon and I'm looking to organise a meal with approx. 20 people. I need recommendations of good restaurants where they can take a booking for a table for about that number, maybe even somewhere with a separate room or area, although it doesn't have to have that.

Nowhere too expensive or fancy and nowhere too loud. Just a decent restaurant with a good atmosphere and good food. Not fussed about the type of food.

Cheers in advance.

We had a nigh out last weekend at Viva Mexico in town, 16 of us the food and service was really good!!

Konrad von Carstein
A few years ago now, a big family group of us went to Lancers Indian restuarant in Stockbridge. They have a private room with a big banqueting table and it's own bar etc..You get your own waiters and barman:) Very nice, but like I say that was a few years ago.

Was there on Friday after a loooong time since my previous visit.....very disappointed....tired decor and mediocre food....other week there i was in the omar Khayam after many years proclaiming Id never set foot in the place after several crap meals there....have to say it was excellent.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I like the sound of Lancer's at Stockbridge seeing as my Dad likes his Indian food.

Was there on Friday after a loooong time since my previous visit.....very disappointed....tired decor and mediocre food....other week there i was in the omar Khayam after many years proclaiming Id never set foot in the place after several crap meals there....have to say it was excellent.

Then again, maybe not! :)

Konrad von Carstein
Then again, maybe not! :)

Try the Far Pavilions at Comelybank dunno about them handling a party of 20 but every time Ive been there the food and service has been 5*

I've never been but I have never heard a bad story about the 'sizzling Scot' on Dalry road (opp ****erfield)

J.T.F.Robertson

When I was back in June, my sister and I took a bus run to Portiebelly and after a stroll along the prom, finished up in the Promenade, at the foot of Bath Street. It had only recently re-opened, I guess and the food was excellent. I had the smoked haddock, fantastic it was. :dribble:

compass, which is part of the george hotel is excellent

calistoga-st leonards st, californian food, very private excellent food and wines and with 25 you would take over the whole place and they would probably do a set menu, price per head with three or four choices for you

Cheers in advance.

Sent you a PM mate.

ArmiyaRomanova

Is the Armenian Aghtamar Lake Van Monastery In Exile restaurant in Abbeyhill still going?

Now there's a special dining experience....

compass, which is part of the george hotel is excellent

calistoga-st leonards st, californian food, very private excellent food and wines and with 25 you would take over the whole place and they would probably do a set menu, price per head with three or four choices for you

I was at their new restaurant on Rose St North Lane last week and I agree, the food was very good. They also do a couple of excellent american beers including Anchor Steam Beer from a traditional brewery in San Francisco. Need to find out if I can buy that anywhere in Edinburgh.

Need to find out if I can buy that anywhere in Edinburgh.

There's a new restaurant in Rose St North Lane that stocks it...:rolleyes:

Is the Armenian Aghtamar Lake Van Monastery In Exile restaurant in Abbeyhill still going?

Now there's a special dining experience....

Very special.

But not always in a good way if your good host doesn't like the look of you. I haven't been for years and not sure if it still exists, he was never a great one for marketing.

ArmiyaRomanova
Very special.

But not always in a good way if your good host doesn't like the look of you. I haven't been for years and not sure if it still exists, he was never a great one for marketing.

:laugh: Last time I was there he snatched my wine glass away from me claiming it was 'too full' for me to properly appreciate its bouquet. I watched him slug it back in a oner as he sloped off into the kitchen.

Superb meal though. And he liked us enough for there to be eight courses.

He's still in the phone book, so I guess he's at least still there, if not 'hosting' regularly.

Try the Far Pavilions at Comelybank dunno about them handling a party of 20 but every time Ive been there the food and service has been 5*

Id defo go with Far Pavilion, one of the best indian resturants in scotland. Im sure they do bookings for big groups aswell..

Another good couple of place is san marco's, buffalo grill and pizza express in stockbridge..

Archived