Graham Spiers, Tabloids and David Murray

Corrie Jambo

Corrie Jambo

Graham Spiers was on Radio Clyde tonight and told the truth in that when he was working for a tabloid paper if they wanted to keep getting any of the snippets that come out of Ibrox they knew that they could not critisize David Murray.

The other journalist in the studio obviously from one of the red tops was squirning in his seat. Spiers admitted that he did this for 10 years under Murray's tenure and he then went onto say that he could now write proper stories.

Nothing we did not know but it was refreshing to hear.

Of course no one went on to mention the Romanov and his impression of the Scottish media.

Superb entertainment .

Graham Spiers was on Radio Clyde tonight and told the truth in that when he was working for a tabloid paper if they wanted to keep getting any of the snippets that come out of Ibrox they knew that they could not critisize David Murray.

The other journalist in the studio obviously from one of the red tops was squirning in his seat. Spiers admitted that he did this for 10 years under Murray's tenure and he then went onto say that he could now write proper stories.

Of course no one went on to mention the Romanov and his impression of the Scottish media.

Superb entertainment .

Spiers is just about the only Scottish Sportswriter I have any time for. He alone should be nominating POTY as he is the only one who has credibility, nautrality and can string a decent sentence together.

Superb entertainment .

Its a real shame that Speirs is fighting this battle on his own. Would be good to see a few other jounro's come out and say the same and put the heat on Murray.

I don't know about you but i think the media and the old firm are getting a right shown up here. Not just by this but all the stuff on the pitch as well.

I even had one of them Bitter Celtic fans admitting to refereeing bias in the favor of his team. :omg:

Need to keep this up.

nanananananana-angus

Listening to real radio in the car tonight,yes it's crap but it's been good listening to the blue halfs fans whining.

Anyhoo roughie was saying he had it on good authority that the blue half are currently in talks with AC Milan over a midfielder.

He wouldn't reveal who the player was and stated that one of the redtop journos was going to run with the story tomorrow but because the deal hadn't been signed and sealed the journo decided against running with it.

I know I'm speculating but I got the impression that this journo was being leaned on just incase the deal falls through at the last moment.

Afterall, I doubt very much that those same journos will hold back printing made up stories about links to Hearts players in the run up to the game this weekend.

The exact same thing happened to Spiers on newsnight a while ago when Stuart Cosgrove bought it up. Apparently Spiers was one of the many journalists who enjoyed preferential treatment from Mr Murray until he wrote an article criticising Rangers bigotry problems and then there was no more freebies from Murray.

one of the redtop journos was going to run with the story tomorrow but because the deal hadn't been signed and sealed the journo decided against running with it.

If that's true then you have to say that Vlad cannot be blamed for his persistent condemnation of the scottish media, irrespective of their thinly veiled attempts to reflect this negatively back on him. Would the red tops ever (ever, ever, ever) re-consider printing a non-OF transfer story on the basis that it could jeopardise the deal?

The Old Tolbooth
Its a real shame that Speirs is fighting this battle on his own. Would be good to see a few other jounro's come out and say the same and put the heat on Murray.

I totally agree Kenny, the red tops have nothing to fear now because der hun fans have already turned against Murray, and they can basically print what they like about him to drive him out because they will sell even more papers.

The People's Chimp
The exact same thing happened to Spiers on newsnight a while ago when Stuart Cosgrove bought it up. Apparently Spiers was one of the many journalists who enjoyed preferential treatment from Mr Murray until he wrote an article criticising Rangers bigotry problems and then there was no more freebies from Murray.

Aye, no more flights on the private jet, or nice bottles of vintage red from chateau murray. Fair play to speirs for what he is saying, but it seems a little too late and a little bit like those vineyard grapes have gone sour....

I think John Colquhoun alluded to this one night on Glasport.

Apparently Speirs wrote an article on sectarian bias and Sir D M objected to this and poor Speirs' snout has been banned from the trough - no private plane for him.

Remember all those years ago when one of the Glasgow based Sunday tabloids printed the story about an unnamed SPL Player who was picking up young boys, at the time I remember thinking that it could have someone who was playing for us at the time, but then other stories started emerging that it could have been someone from the blue half of Glasgow, next thing the story sinks like a stone but the song carried on for many a year (R@@@@@d G@@@h, c@@@d m@@@@@@r). If it had been us you can bet they would have named the culprit.

Colonel Kurtz
Remember all those years ago when one of the Glasgow based Sunday tabloids printed the story about an unnamed SPL Player who was picking up young boys, at the time I remember thinking that it could have someone who was playing for us at the time, but then other stories started emerging that it could have been someone from the blue half of Glasgow, next thing the story sinks like a stone but the song carried on for many a year (R@@@@@d G@@@h, c@@@d m@@@@@@r). If it had been us you can bet they would have named the culprit.

more up to date...why was the family name of a tim thug who stuck a glass into somebodys coupon in Barcelona withheld from the media at the behest of The Home Office

John Findlay
more up to date...why was the family name of a tim thug who stuck a glass into somebodys coupon in Barcelona withheld from the media at the behest of The Home Office

Let me see. John Reid pulling strings.

The media via the government in London have been guilty of playing down and the non-reporting of violence involving British(mainly English) supporters for years. There is a world cup bid for England to win afterall.

John

Geoff Kilpatrick

I didn't Reid about that! ;)

Brick Tamland
I didn't Reid about that! ;)

At long last the penny is dropping.

All of the points in this post are what Vlad has been getting at all along, he sees and knows exactly what is going on, tells it how he sees it and fists and xenophobic bile are hammered down his throat by the great protectors. If any sports journalist was worth his salt and had a modicum of integrity they would investigate things a bit closer, see with clarity what is going on and report it.

The SFA, the Scottish media and the OF are a bunch of schiesters who are absolutely rotten to the core and who work within an inner sanctum. Perhaps re-translated from Russian this might be likened to the mafia - or even "it's not the people it's the system".

Vlad certainly has his badpoints (very, very bad if you believe the weegie press) but on this point I salute him - Long live Vlad!

Tokyo Drifter

Superb entertainment .

Didn't think Spiers ever worked for a tabloid did? Started at Scotland on Sunday, went to the Herald and then to The Times (which is a tabloid)

stevieC@pivot
Didn't think Spiers ever worked for a tabloid did? Started at Scotland on Sunday, went to the Herald and then to The Times (which is a tabloid)[/QUOTE]

Well that means that the Sunday Herald is a tabloid too then!!

The Times is not a tabloid,Mon to Sat it is tabloid size,broadsheet on a Sunday,the opposite from the Herald and the same as the Scotsman.

Peter Olivers Army

It is alleged ;), the charge reached the PF and it was dropped at that time.

Rumours flew around at how the alleged culprit was married just months later.

Those marriage pics were splashed all over the tabloids.

Pat Nevin also made similar remarks on Sportscene sometime last season. He basically said after each press conference all the journos get together and decide how they will write the story on the given topic. Darryl Broadfoot was in the studio then and he was squirmining in his seat and refused to accept that was what happened.

When Romanov speaks of Mowgli, he is directing that at Old Douglas Baader himself, David Murray.

Murray is a bully boy.

Hagar the Horrible

Whats worse is that Scotsport edited the sound on the game that we played againt them at Ibrox, so you could not hear the Hearts fans condeming in song that player! the sound did not match up with the play (all out of sync), it was added in like that scene in Escape to Victory:eek: also point to note, the Rangers fans who sat in silence all that day, had no reply to it...

I was going to say Hilarious but it is not, a clear censorship only ever seen in old Russia or modern USA or China;) so much for free speach:sad:

Was there not an incident in which an OF player was 'caught' with a very young man in his home ? A shower was involved ?

No action taken by police even though the young lad was under 21 at the time. Or so a Hun ST holder mate at the time told me.

What ever happened to super Ally saying that he would personally take on the biggots if they started singing there bile at the games? This was at the start of last season or mabey the season before that? It got a lot of press coverage. This was all to do with UEFA threatening them after their shame in spain. (SFA take note) However a few games into the season and it's forgotten - no follow up stories. Huns continue their nonsense and nothings said about it other than how harsh UEFA have been on rangers fans(pre manchester).

Superb entertainment .

Spiers put up with the **** for 10 years and we're supposed to admire his honesty? Gie's a break. He took the money and toed the party line. Bit llke George Foulkes.

Spiers put up with the **** for 10 years and we're supposed to admire his honesty? Gie's a break. He took the money and toed the party line. Bit llke George Foulkes.

Spiersy does wear tweed rather well though :P

Harry Palmer
When Romanov speaks of Mowgli, he is directing that at Old Douglas Baader himself, David Murray.

Murray is a bully boy.

Unfortunately, having the media onside does have considerable advantages. Influence.

Oh, please do not mention 'Sir' David Murray with Douglas Bader because there is really no comparison,other than.... and there it stops.

And, apparently, Jock Wallace was aware of it. Yup ***. ;)

Archived