Would you strike?

Roy Barry

I've just been told there is to be a strike at my work (part of the council) next Wednesday.

The strike is over the new pay offer. The current offer is 2.5% and I believe the unions are asking for 6%. Obviously with inflation now at 4.4% the 2.5% is going to be a pay cut in real terms.

There is a strong union presence at my work and I imagine turning up and crossing the picket line would not be looked on favourably.

Even though I understand the pay rise wouldn't really be a pay rise at all and some of my co-workers would see it as a break from solidarity, I can't see myself taking part in the strike.

I can't see how the public sector can realistically get an above inflation pay rise given that over 25% of the workforce in Scotland are employed in the public sector. The unions go on about people earning less and less each year but nobody owes you a living - people could always leave and find a job elsewhere. If anything the lower pay in the public sector (if it is lower) and lack of bonuses/sharesaves etc. need to be traded against flexible working arrangements, good pension plans and early retirement.

I don't mean low pay rises are acceptable but just the unions have to be realistic about pay rises and there are probably better ways to achieve something than striking all the time .

Would you strike?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's up to you, but remember that should the Union achieve something as a result of its strike action every member of the workforce will benefit from it, not just those in the Union. It should also be remembered that those striking will lose a days pay, as well as that days worth of pensionable service too, in the hope that it will do some good.

In my experience of being in Unison, strike action has only ever been taken as a last resort and it is not something that the Union or its members take lightly. It should also be remembered that the Union membership has been balloted over this and has voted to strike.

Whilst I respect your right to not be in the Union, in my experience the old addage of "Unity is Strength" means something.

So, come on comrade, join the Union.

The unions are getting too much power, and are now employing strike action whenever they don't get their way.

In the past, strike actions were only utilised as a last resort, when the pay offers were well below what should be expected. Nowadays, it is being used to force organisations to pay well over the odds. Unions have become like spoilt kids, using the "it's my ball, and I'm not playing" playground attitude.

The problem is, if you don't follow what they say, then you may get ostracised at work, and it may affect your workmates attitude towards you, as they will see non-compliance as being against the everyday worker, and just trying to brown-nose off the boss. Its a very tricky situation that the unions put the workers in when using strikes in situations like this, when the action is ott. I would probably look at going to the pub with your work mates (mates you genuinely lika and acrae about at work, if any) and discuss as a group what you all felt was best, and come to a group decision. If a group of you chose to cross the picket line, you could all pull together and support each other in the face of any hostile reception you may inucr

suicidalpostie

at the end of the day mate its down to you

but just remember that if you work whilst your

colleagues strike and you end up getting a better

pay deal how will you feel knowing they have lost

money to get the deal and you have gained from it

The unions are getting too much power, and are now employing strike action whenever they don't get their way.

In the past, strike actions were only utilised as a last resort, when the pay offers were well below what should be expected. Nowadays, it is being used to force organisations to pay well over the odds. Unions have become like spoilt kids, using the "it's my ball, and I'm not playing" playground attitude.

The problem is, if you don't follow what they say, then you may get ostracised at work, and it may affect your workmates attitude towards you, as they will see non-compliance as being against the everyday worker, and just trying to brown-nose off the boss. Its a very tricky situation that the unions put the workers in when using strikes in situations like this, when the action is ott. I would probably look at going to the pub with your work mates (mates you genuinely lika and acrae about at work, if any) and discuss as a group what you all felt was best, and come to a group decision. If a group of you chose to cross the picket line, you could all pull together and support each other in the face of any hostile reception you may inucr

With the greatest of respect Rossi, you are posting absolute nonsense.

Perhaps you would like to tell us of all these cases of strike action that these all powerful unions keep taking?

Forcing organisations to pay over the odds? No, usually just asking for an inflationary pay increase, or perhaps a bit more to mark the true value of the job done by the employee.

I do like your argument about

If a group of you chose to cross the picket line, you could all pull together and support each other in the face of any hostile reception you may inucr

In other words, form a Union to protect you from the Union?

Unity is Strength Comrades.

p.s. Every worker has the right to strike or not to strike and those striking should respect their colleagues decision, albeit that the striker is giving up a days pay and benefits for everyones sake not just their own.

I've just been told there is to be a strike at my work (part of the council) next Wednesday.

The strike is over the new pay offer. The current offer is 2.5% and I believe the unions are asking for 6%. Obviously with inflation now at 4.4% the 2.5% is going to be a pay cut in real terms.

There is a strong union presence at my work and I imagine turning up and crossing the picket line would not be looked on favourably.

Even though I understand the pay rise wouldn't really be a pay rise at all and some of my co-workers would see it as a break from solidarity, I can't see myself taking part in the strike.

I can't see how the public sector can realistically get an above inflation pay rise given that over 25% of the workforce in Scotland are employed in the public sector. The unions go on about people earning less and less each year but nobody owes you a living - people could always leave and find a job elsewhere. If anything the lower pay in the public sector (if it is lower) and lack of bonuses/sharesaves etc. need to be traded against flexible working arrangements, good pension plans and early retirement.

I don't mean low pay rises are acceptable but just the unions have to be realistic about pay rises and there are probably better ways to achieve something than striking all the time .

Would you strike?

I think that you are thinking about all of the right things. And I am sure that you are going to weigh them up and make the right decision for you.

2 points I would note 1) strikes rise at times when the Government loses control of inflation and 2) if there isn't money to fund a better pay deal for the unionised workforce it is because of a) too many people being employed by the Council to do unnecessary things and B) too much 'compensation' to those with the biggest snouts in the trough. The guy who runs Lothian Buses - an administrative job given that it is owned by the Council and involved buying buses, employing drivers, buying fuel and running the buses to a timetable - is paid ?250,000 per year plus perks. This has gone up by 10%. The Prime Minister's salary is ?190,000 per year. The wage inflation at the top end of local Government is absolutely out of control.

What a load of cobblers.

I worked in the public sector for years and was fobbed off with excuses that because we got a nice pension we shoudn't expect a big pay rise. After 14 years my job was privatised. If you believe strongly enough in strike action then go for it. If govts want workers to accept 2% pay awards then fine : they should also restrict council tax increases to the same rate and tell the utility companies to p off when they come asking for the ridiculous increases which are in the pipeline.

Your comments about trades unions are complete nonsense. You are obviously not a member of any union based on my experience. the days of the miners strikes are long gone. If govts were bound by the same legislation that unions are it would be a very different world.

Era Macaroons
at the end of the day mate its down to you

but just remember that if you work whilst your

colleagues strike and you end up getting a better

pay deal how will you feel knowing they have lost

money to get the deal and you have gained from it

If the non stiker disagrees with the principle of the strike (and hence has chosen not to stirke) i dont see why he should give a monkeys about those who do strike.

Strikers arent always right....and dont always win!

With the greatest of respect Rossi, you are posting absolute nonsense.

Perhaps you would like to tell us of all these cases of strike action that these all powerful unions keep taking?

Forcing organisations to pay over the odds? No, usually just asking for an inflationary pay increase, or perhaps a bit more to mark the true value of the job done by the employee.

I do like your argument about

In other words, form a Union to protect you from the Union?

Unity is Strength Comrades.

p.s. Every worker has the right to strike or not to strike and those striking should respect their colleagues decision, albeit that the striker is giving up a days pay and benefits for everyones sake not just their own.

The recent pay dispute with Shell's tanker drivers showed unions demanding a wage rise way above inflation etc. Granted Shell make ridiculously high profits, but the union was just looking to take advantage of that and demand a wage far beyond what should be expected for that sort of job.

In the case of the council workers, I think the unions are fair enough asking for a wage rise in keeping with inflation, but they are asking for a couple of percentage points higher. Considering the current financial climate, and the strong possibility of a mini recession, I don't see how they can expect the council to agree to such an increase, when the current inefficiency in the public sector is a very important aspect to be adressed.

As for my union to protect from the union...I am not talking about forming a rival group of people who will deliberately work to spite the union. Unions can be very spiteful to people who choose to cross the picket line, so doing that on your own is a very difficult choice. If him and his friends, after group discussion, felt that working was their preferred course of action, then they could be there to support each other in the aftermath

Your comments about trades unions are complete nonsense. You are obviously not a member of any union based on my experience. the days of the miners strikes are long gone. If govts were bound by the same legislation that unions are it would be a very different world.

You are correct there, so my inside knowledge of the workings of a union are not as detailed as yours or Boris', but I don't think unions are as magical as you 2 proclaim.

In essence though, unions have basically created an employment cartel and fix prices. In every other walk of life, cartels are frowned upon. Granted, unions as a whole are beneficial to the current employees, as they help to provide them with a more powerful voice and provide higher wages, but by forcing prices up in the short term they reduce the efficiency of firms. They also cause higher unemployment and increased prices for the consumer

suicidalpostie

:yadayada::yadayada::yadayada::yadayada::yadayada::yadayada:

If the non stiker disagrees with the principle of the strike (and hence has chosen not to stirke) i dont see why he should give a monkeys about those who do strike.

Strikers arent always right....and dont always win!

you miss the point era the said person would be happy

to take the pay rise without losing out. that in my book is double

standards. nobody really wants to strike but sometimes you have

you have to step up to the plate

The ridiculous protectionist dogma spouted by the unions was instrumental in the decimation of traditional industries like steel, coal mining and ship building. Baroness Thatcher knew the British economy had to change significantly to survive and the unions played right into her hands with their confrontational attitude and unwillingness to change.

Talk about turkeys voting for Christmas.....:)

The ridiculous protectionist dogma spouted by the unions was instrumental in the decimation of traditional industries like steel, coal mining and ship building. Baroness Thatcher knew the British economy had to change significantly to survive and the unions played right into her hands with their confrontational attitude and unwillingness to change.

Talk about turkeys voting for Christmas.....:)

Why deal with the Devil? Evil auld bitch. MOD EDIT

Why deal with the Devil? Evil auld bitch...

Ah, right on cue, up pops a bona-fide lefty/class warrior. His is exactly the type of silly rhetoric and posturing I was referring to.

Ah, right on cue, up pops a bona-fide lefty/class warrior. His is exactly the type of silly rhetoric and posturing I was referring to.

Rather than rhetoric and posturing I have a lovely bottle of white chateau neuf de pape laid down to celebrate her timely demise.

Rather than rhetoric and posturing I have a lovely bottle of white chateau neuf de pape laid down to celebrate her timely demise.

White chateauneuf? :eek: WTF? :eek: :eek: :eek:

No class. Fact. :sad:

White chateauneuf? :eek: WTF? :eek: :eek: :eek:

No class. Fact. :sad:

I'm sure it will taste lovely to this "working" class hero mate.

I'm sure it will taste lovely to this "working" class hero mate.

I'd suggest you stick to your usual Blue Nun. You're not cut out to be a wine buff.

Yours helpfully....etc

Got a lovely bottle of Cloudy Bay chilling for me now mate. Will report back to you later Jilly Goulding.

Got a lovely bottle of Cloudy Bay chilling for me now mate.

Now you're talking.

I've just taken delivery of a case of mixed New Zealand sauvignons and - even better - a case of 1999 Luis Canas family reserve. Can't beat a top quality rioja. :P

Left or right you lot are both sides of the same coin, If anyone was full of rhetoric it was Thatcher, unfortunately at the time the unions were run either by KGB men to destroy the economy or MI5 men to make sure the workers were not properly directed, you being somewhat to the right of Ghengis Khan would be too blinkered or stupid to realise that.

If anyone was full of rhetoric it was Thatcher

Baroness Thatcher was indeed full of rhetoric, but unlike dopes such as Scargill she actually delivered.

I certainly agree with you about Scargill, not sure what he was KGB or MI5,she certainly made sure the Dole checks were "DELIVERED", and created the dependancy culture some areas suffer from now.

wheatfield to sheffield

Dear Rossi_1983,

just to hazard a guess - from both your opinions ...

You are obviously not a member of any union based on my experience.

You are correct there, so my inside knowledge of the workings of a union are not as detailed as yours or Boris', but I don't think unions are as magical as you 2 proclaim.

... and your user name, I'm guessing you might have been born in 1983. That would make you truly one of Thatcher's children. I bet you think Bilston Glen is where Ikea is.

A painfully high number of young people, such as yourself, don't understand what a trade union is for. They don't realise what union health and safety reps do, what union learning reps do. They don't even seem to realise that without collective bargaining by the unions on behalf of the workers, pay deals would be less and less.

And they don't appreciate the significance of breaking a strike. As Boris said,

should the Union achieve something as a result of its strike action every member of the workforce will benefit from it, not just those in the Union. It should also be remembered that those striking will lose a days pay, as well as that days worth of pensionable service too, in the hope that it will do some good.

Only the strikers will sacrifice, everyone will benefit. Including those that weaken the strikers' efforts by going to work.

And as Mick McGahey once said (look him up on Wikipedia if you really don't know who he was) "We won't always be on strike, but they will always be scabs".

This is the problem with the public sector. When things are going well they receive a pay rise in line with inflation.

But due to government fiscal incompetence, when things are not so well they are offered a pay rise half that of inflation.

Meantime private industry continues to make billions of pounds in profit paying out well over inflation pay rises.

This government is on the way out and I reckon any prolonged strike or other industrial action will result in a cave in by them. The problem will fall to the conservatives to sort out.

While I'm not a member of the union and I wouldn't profess to having any knowledge of their inner workings, I feel that in certain situations they put the entire workforce in a difficult predicament. Such as here where the choice is either go on strike or cross the picket line (No holidays will be granted - not that I planned to take one anyway.)

I think this situation could have been dealt with better - it seems that financially the final deal offered could be better but those who went on strike actually end up worse off - and while they may feel good they have achieved something surely they will be left thinking - why did they bother striking in the first place?

Dear Rossi_1983,

just to hazard a guess - from both your opinions ...

... and your user name, I'm guessing you might have been born in 1983. That would make you truly one of Thatcher's children. I bet you think Bilston Glen is where Ikea is.

A painfully high number of young people, such as yourself, don't understand what a trade union is for. They don't realise what union health and safety reps do, what union learning reps do. They don't even seem to realise that without collective bargaining by the unions on behalf of the workers, pay deals would be less and less.

And they don't appreciate the significance of breaking a strike. As Boris said,

Only the strikers will sacrifice, everyone will benefit. Including those that weaken the strikers' efforts by going to work.

And as Mick McGahey once said (look him up on Wikipedia if you really don't know who he was) "We won't always be on strike, but they will always be scabs".

I know perfectly well about Bilston Glen and the miners' strikes. I also think Health and Safety reps do a very important role to ensure suitable working conditions etc for employees.

I don't really see what relevance they have though with the current trend of unions expecting exorbitant pay rises. They are cartels that are only interested in short term gains. They do not adress problems of inefficiency created by the higher wages.

Everybody loves Baz

I'm also on strike (Stobhill Depot) not happy about it but what we're being offered is absolutely pish!

Like i said not happy about but would never cross a picket line as i'd get ma baws booted:o

Son of a miner arrested at Bilston! i'd never live it down.

They do not adress problems of inefficiency created by the higher wages.

Or the inefficiency of paying out huge dividends to shareholders plus bonuses and huge pay rises for fat cats. There has to be a medium struck somewhere.

The unions claim that employees have the right to strike, yet if you decide to exercise your right not to strike, you will be ostracised as a scab - democracy of the left! In this day and age that should be seen as an abuse of your human rights and all strikers immediately fired for discrimination. Then there won't be any union left and your problem will be solved :cool:

Now you're talking.

I've just taken delivery of a case of mixed New Zealand sauvignons and - even better - a case of 1999 Luis Canas family reserve. Can't beat a top quality rioja. :P

Nice. Cheeky wee Beaujolais is my current favourite on the red.

I will be taking the day off work and going out on the lash to celebrate her death.

While all the Unions are going nap with their strikes just now, perhaps they should take a minute to reflect on what they are going to achieve....

A Tory Government

Once they get into power in a couple of years, the first thing that will happen is that all the trade union legislation is cut to stop strike action. The next thing is tax cuts funded by cutting back on public sector jobs.

So, just think before you go to strike what you will achieve. A pay rise for a couple of years, and then what?!! No job, most likely.

What absolute drivel:mad:

You are obviously young and ill informed in this topic.

Found this on the Socialist party web site.

Scottish Socialist Party member Stephen Smellie is on the UNISON strike committee and attends the joint union pay campaign group.

He told the Voice about the background to workers voting overwhelmingly to strike.

"The unions' claim was lodged before Christmas (the settlement date is 1st April 2008) for 5% or ?1,000 (whichever was the greatest), additional annual leave of 3 days and an extra public holiday.

"The employers' (CoSLA) initial offers were rejected and a final offer was made of 2.5% each year for 3 years. This was rejected by the 3 unions and this was confirmed in a joint consultation with members. In brief it was rejected because it was over 3 years, 2.5% was too low and the unions wish to see a weighting towards the lowest paid.

"Members in each union were then balloted separately but on the same timescale over July and asked to agree to take strike action in pursuit of the claim. The response has been overwhelmingly in favour of standing up for the claim by taking strike action."

In my opinion 2.5% is quite low, but what they're asking for is a bit of a **** take. 3 or 4% is fair.

I've worked in the private sector a while now and have never got a 5% pay rise. With inflation high, most folk will essentially be taking a pay cut.

The problem is that because the Chancellor is under pressure to bring inflation back down, it's always going to be the public sector that has to suffer effective pay cuts as his tool to do this. At the end of the day, if you don't want to be an economic pawn, work in the private sector.

Good argument about the council workers (or any other unhappy employees at other companies) going for better paid jobs. Unfortunately it is not as easy as that as there would always be more candidates for the well paid jobs than vacancies. This would allow the employers with the well paid jobs to lower the pay because there was so much competition. The unfilled lower paid vacancies would lead to problems too.

Can't remember the last time I heard a fat cat say I will forego my wage rise, my bonus or my free shares because the company can't afford it. Similarly how do all these failed captains of industry still get huge payouts when they have donald ducked up?

A guy goes to the local council to apply for a job.

The interviewer asks him, 'Are you allergic to anything?'

He says 'Yes - just caffeine'

Have you ever been in the service?

?Yes,' he says. 'I was in Iraq for two years.'

The interviewer says, 'That will give you 5 extra points toward employment,' and then asks, 'Are you disabled in any way?

The guy says, 'Yes 100%...an IED exploded near me and blew my testicles off'

The interviewer tells the guy, 'O.K. In that case, I can hire you right now. Normal hours are from 8 AM to 4 PM. You can start tomorrow at 10:00 - and plan on starting at 10 AM every day.'

The guy is puzzled and says, 'If the hours are from 8 AM to 4 PM, why don't you want me to be here before 10 AM?

'This is a government job,' the interviewer says. 'For the first two hours we just stand around drinking coffee and scratching our balls. No point in you coming in for that.'

:)

A guy goes to the local council to apply for a job.

The interviewer asks him, 'Are you allergic to anything?'

He says 'Yes - just caffeine'

Have you ever been in the service?

?Yes,' he says. 'I was in Iraq for two years.'

The interviewer says, 'That will give you 5 extra points toward employment,' and then asks, 'Are you disabled in any way?

The guy says, 'Yes 100%...an IED exploded near me and blew my testicles off'

The interviewer tells the guy, 'O.K. In that case, I can hire you right now. Normal hours are from 8 AM to 4 PM. You can start tomorrow at 10:00 - and plan on starting at 10 AM every day.'

The guy is puzzled and says, 'If the hours are from 8 AM to 4 PM, why don't you want me to be here before 10 AM?

'This is a government job,' the interviewer says. 'For the first two hours we just stand around drinking coffee and scratching our balls. No point in you coming in for that.'

:)

It's the way you tell 'em... :tumbleweed:

While all the Unions are going nap with their strikes just now, perhaps they should take a minute to reflect on what they are going to achieve....

A Tory Government

Once they get into power in a couple of years, the first thing that will happen is that all the trade union legislation is cut to stop strike action. The next thing is tax cuts funded by cutting back on public sector jobs.

So, just think before you go to strike what you will achieve. A pay rise for a couple of years, and then what?!! No job, most likely.

Haven't we already got a "tory" government? It sure as hell ain't of the left.

As mentioned before, strke action is the last thing trade unions want to take, but at times it is all they can do to highlight their plight.

Would you strike?

If you don't mind my asking, are you a member of the union?

J.T.F.Robertson
If you don't mind my asking, are you a member of the union?

You can't get me. :P

Era Macaroons
:yadayada::yadayada::yadayada::yadayada::yadayada::yadayada:

you miss the point era the said person would be happy

to take the pay rise without losing out. that in my book is double

standards. nobody really wants to strike but sometimes you have

you have to step up to the plate

Aye, but he's not taking the extra holidays, oh sorry, I mean striking! :cocktail:

Of course theres a time and place for striking, but when the same place is striking every now and again over menial things it kind of gets ignored.

:bek035: EVERYBODY OUT , NO SOUP IN THE CANTEEN TODAY.

I've just been through a merger of two major companies.

Our union argued for no compulsary redundancies if they could possibly be avoided, with the threat (ha!) of strike action backing it up.

End result: Plenty of people taking voluntary redundancies at the upper-end of the pay scale due to the one month x every year you've worked there on offer, and the rest keeping there jobs.

Gotta say, even though I was relatively safe having landed a new job with the enlarged company via the interview process, I'm not as anti-union as I was previously.

As for not looking for a pay rise because we're suffering from inflation - Darling can lick my hoop.

But public service workers unfortunately are in a weaker position, because those doing genuine worthwhile jobs are going to suffer because of the ridiculous 'job creation scheme' that's been going on for the last 11 years.

On the strike business I wouldn't strike. My experience when I was a Leith postie of strikes etc. showed me what a shower the unions really were, how they damaged conditions for their members, were happy to sell the workers out for a safe Labour seat (Alan Johnston) and cemented my decision to join the Conservative party.

Basically I've been out on strike with my mates over nothing, for nothing, and it left a nasty taste in my mouth.

On the strike business I wouldn't strike. My experience when I was a Leith postie of strikes etc. showed me what a shower the unions really were, how they damaged conditions for their members, were happy to sell the workers out for a safe Labour seat (Alan Johnston) and cemented my decision to join the Conservative party.

Basically I've been out on strike with my mates over nothing, for nothing, and it left a nasty taste in my mouth.

Lies!

You are obviously young/ill-informed/a Thatcher child/all of the above :rolleyes:

Unions can provide a valuable service for employees, and are invaluable in protecting them from employer abuse, but unfortunately many in this country still believe the worker reigns supreme and the employer owes them a living. The unions, again unfortunately, propagate this belief for their own benefit and this betrays their true mission of ensuring employees get a fair deal.

In a faltering economy, any pay rise of any kind is a bonus. And the economy is faltering badly. Anyone capable of looking at the bigger picture can see this. Therefore, any talk of pay rises above inflation is irrelevant. There are going to be so many people laid off from private industry this year, that government employees should take the fact that they are virtually un-fireable as their pay rise, and the 2% as a bonus.

To put it simply: 2% may be under inflation, but it's a hell of a lot more than being paid nothing because you were fired.

Archived