Ian Rankin's Hidden Edinburgh

weemarky

Crackin program on beeb 2 just now. I like his books and am quite interested in local history stuff so think its quite cool.

:)

rudi must stay
Crackin program on beeb 2 just now. I like his books and am quite interested in local history stuff so think its quite cool.

:)

saw that as well. Thought it was great, lots of interesting stories about Edinburgh eh :)

christhejambo

Seen it before, but it is a really interesting documentary. Nice to see some parts of Edinburgh that i didnt know anything about- like the South Bridge Vaults for example.

The People's Chimp

Is that not repeated about 5 or 6 times a year?

Yawn.

FWIW: ian rankin didn't wash his hands after going to the toilet at the udderbelly last week.

rudiskacel06
Is that not repeated about 5 or 6 times a year?

Yawn.

FWIW: ian rankin didn't wash his hands after going to the toilet at the udderbelly last week.

stayed in dunfermline for 2 yrs

Era Macaroons
Yes it is on iPlayer.

was pleased you said that and went to watch with intrigue, managed to last to the bit where he needed to descibe every house he had ever lived in, in detail....yawn......RED X.

does anyone know the piano song in Ian Rankins Hidden Edinburgh, it was played during the part he was talkin about knox, and his graveyard in the car park.

heard it a while ago on some other programme, drove me crazy trying to get the name then, been driving me crazy again! thanks in advance!!

Buffalo Bill

If you liked that, you should also search for Andrew Marr's 'Age of Enlightenment' programme set in Edinburgh (I think it was made in 2006).

The Rankin thing was good though. I'd never heard of '17 Danube Street' before watching it.

Buffalo Bill

If you liked that, you should also search for Andrew Marr's 'Age of Enlightenment' programme set in Edinburgh (I think it was made in 2006).

The Rankin thing was good though. I'd never heard of '17 Danube Street' before watching it.

Buffalo Bill

i thought everyone knew about dora!!!

i sat watching it too,or trying to. i really enjoyed it

Buggeration!!!

I knew there was something I'd forgotten to do when I was down...go for a pint at The Oxford Bar.

Mind you, not knowing where it is could've been a minor drawback though I'm sure I'd've found it eventually.

Buffalo Bill

That place was gankin', pal of my had to go in to fix the phones in 70/80's, Dora gave him a ?1 tip as he was leaving, maybe the only guy to come out of there with more money than he went in with :sad:

Buggeration!!!

I knew there was something I'd forgotten to do when I was down...go for a pint at The Oxford Bar.

Mind you, not knowing where it is could've been a minor drawback though I'm sure I'd've found it eventually.

Must admit I was suprised he could touch on this pub and not mention the legend that was Willie Ross, too many stories, deserving of another thread.

jt

My favourite bit was when he spoke about how protestants and catholics can't mix in Fife.

Just after 2 kids had cycled past, one in a Celtic top, one in a Rangers top!

Buffalo Bill
My favourite bit was when he spoke about how protestants and catholics can't mix in Fife.

Just after 2 kids had cycled past, one in a Celtic top, one in a Rangers top!

Again, a whole new thread.

You find that in Edinburgh. So sad to see another generation of glory hunters.

At least I saw the light! ;)

Buffalo Bill

Brian Whittaker's Tache
does anyone know the piano song in Ian Rankins Hidden Edinburgh, it was played during the part he was talkin about knox, and his graveyard in the car park.

heard it a while ago on some other programme, drove me crazy trying to get the name then, been driving me crazy again! thanks in advance!!

It's from the movie Amelie

Its by Yann Tiersen and it's called Comptine D'un Autre Ete

Shazam app on my new phone's the dogs heehaws

I thought the personal aspect of it was too much for a programme titled IR"s Edinburgh. The reference to the vaults being the 'underbelly' was a bit inaccurate I think because my understanding from reading a few books about the city in the 17th and 18th centuries is that many lawyers and other professionals preferred to stay in the old town living cheek by jowl with the ordinary citizens.

I have never seen the interior of St Bernard's Well so that was worthwhile along with one or two other bits.

He was very lucky to find a taxi driver who would let him eat his chip supper in the cab!

It's from the movie Amelie

Its by Yann Tiersen and it's called Comptine D'un Autre Ete

Shazam app on my new phone's the dogs heehaws

cheers man! appreciate it, been wrackin my head for ages

Buffalo my wife gave me a DVD the other week with andrew Marr's Age of Enlightenment and I thought it was a very good production.

As someone who was from Stockbridge, to have only found out about 17 Danube Street just now, makes one a tad miffed!!! :mad:

Naturally, I blame Lois, the fat one and that dog for this conspiracy. I often wondered where Quagmire kept slinking off to at supper time. ;)

Archived