Mole

hearts_crazy

hearts_crazy

I wasn't at the game on Saturday, but reading the various comments on the 'Man of the match' thread and the 'player ratings' thread it got me thinking. I have put the guy in the same bracket as Elliot, i.e. works hard as feck, runs about a lot, but the bottom line is Striker who can't score goals = utterly useless.

Have I got this wrong? Does he just need someone else up there with him who can slip the ball to him for a tap in? Is he more of a Sandy Clark type who needs a goal scorer up there for him to supply the ammo or what? I would like to see him do well, I would like to see any Hearts player do well, but what is required with Jamie Mole? He's clearly a talented player but I just can't get my head around a Striker who can't score goals. I guess what i'm trying to say is do we just need Mole and A.N other (not Juho, obviously)as our main strikeforce, or do we need to go with 2 others, preferably new guys and give Jamie remedial striking practice, or what?:confused:

Like Elliot he is too young. Too much expectation put on him at such a young age as we are very thin on strikers. If we had more strikers pretty sure he'd be out on loan.

I wasn't at the game on Saturday, but reading the various comments on the 'Man of the match' thread and the 'player ratings' thread it got me thinking. I have put the guy in the same bracket as Elliot, i.e. works hard as feck, runs about a lot, but the bottom line is Striker who can't score goals = utterly useless.

Have I got this wrong? Does he just need someone else up there with him who can slip the ball to him for a tap in? Is he more of a Sandy Clark type who needs a goal scorer up there for him to supply the ammo or what? I would like to see him do well, I would like to see any Hearts player do well, but what is required with Jamie Mole? He's clearly a talented player but I just can't get my head around a Striker who can't score goals. I guess what i'm trying to say is do we just need Mole and A.N other (not Juho, obviously)as our main strikeforce, or do we need to go with 2 others, preferably new guys and give Jamie remedial striking practice, or what?:confused:

If Csaba can get Nade fit and motivated they could well score a barrowlaod between them, I really think they would compliment each other (not forgetting Gary Glen).

Jambo Scottyg
Mole was excellent on Saturday but he can't lead the line all season.

I'd agree with this, thought he ran his heart out, but without a great deal of support. Needs someone playing alongside him to be more effective.

I'd agree with this, thought he ran his heart out, but without a great deal of support. Needs someone playing alongside him to be more effective.

I thought his play on Saturday was very similar to a certain ex Hobo ned who played in Russia

Mole is no where near the finished article buthe has pace and power so the rest can still come where as Elliot i doubt will get any faster.

i was very impressed with the lad, think he has come on immensely since early sightings. not an out and out striker in the old robbo mould but offers a great shift and an ever increasing common sense. does need to chip in with greater goals count but its worth noting there are fewer out and out finishers in the modern game as the faster pace and more physical approach puts a greater emphasis on forwards to be more than just poachers.

jamie's a far more intelligent player than elliot, not only able to win alot more ball, control anything that comes to him or ruffle defenders feathers he has the ability to be disciplined with his effort, hold the ball up, shield it better and bring others into play.

Far from the finished article but did a very good job on Saturday, tireless for the 90 (perhaps only him and stewart can claim that plaudit) and helped the entire team by holding the ball up when we were under the cosh. Hopeful that Mole, as with Wallace, Driver, Berra and others can develop under a more disciplined approach to training and tactics.

one swallow disnae make a summer right enough but on saturdays evidence we could do alot worse than give the guy a run in the team.

hearts_crazy
I thought his play on Saturday was very similar to a certain ex Hobo ned who played in Russia

He could score goals though. Every time i've seen Mole strike for goal the ball has trickled harmlessly into the goalie's arms. If he could add goals to his game i'm sure we may have found a gem, but he needs a Striking Coach to spend a lot of time with him IMO.

In the meantime I just think that regardless of how good his runs and stuff were on Saturday, we need Strikers who can score, and at the moment Mole does not tick that particular box. Saturday - 3 goals, all scored by Midfielders. Not a bad thing of course but the fact is that Strikers have to be able to 'strike', that's their day job.

Not trying to slag him off on this thread BTW, just saying that for me he needs to add goals to his game.

Ryan Gosling
He could score goals though. Every time i've seen Mole strike for goal the ball has trickled harmlessly into the goalie's arms. If he could add goals to his game i'm sure we may have found a gem, but he needs a Striking Coach to spend a lot of time with him IMO.

In the meantime I just think that regardless of how good his runs and stuff were on Saturday, we need Strikers who can score, and at the moment Mole does not tick that particular box. Saturday - 3 goals, all scored by Midfielders. Not a bad thing of course but the fact is that Strikers have to be able to 'strike', that's their day job.

Not trying to slag him off on this thread BTW, just saying that for me he needs to add goals to his game.

I'd have said one of our forwards scored on Saturday, and last week too.

think its fair to say the fans wont care too much if Jamie plays his part in a win and 3 midfielders score every game,

he played a key role in a great team performance and can take credit for his part in the overall win if not the goals themselves.

he needs a Striking Coach to spend a lot of time with him IMO.

wouldnt disagree with this though, needs to learn running into the right areas and to strike a better ball. latter comes with practice but the former is best learned from experienced others, dare i say Robbo?

The thing about Mole is that he goes about his business without petty indiscipline and has a tremendous work ethic. You never see/hear him berating other players, the management or the referee. It's easy to see how he could be a favourite with Csaba.

Some people say he is not a scoring striker and the figures up to now bear that out (in the first team) but anyone who was at the game on Saturday will know he could have had a hat trick where he got himself into lethal positions and did not receive the obvious pass.

He has a lot of work ahead of him but he's not the dummy some tried to make out.

Snake Plissken

Mole is a better all-round player than Elliot or Makela and was often unfairly bracketed in with those two when he'd hardly played. He's always looked promising in youth and reserve games so I'd suggest he was put into the team too soon and maybe now he's ready to perform in the first team.

He played well against one of the better SPL teams so he could certainly have a part to play this season. If he does get a run in the first team I hope he gets a goal soon to get off the mark this season.

If you were to compare Mole and Elliot, you would say that Mole is stronger, quite pacey, has a good touch and goes about his buisness quietly. Elliot sometimes gets pulled and pushed all over the place, his touch and ball control needs some serious work done on it and he needs to learn to cool his temper with players and officials, even if he believes he's right because these things can cost us as a team and it just makes him look as though he's 1st division material. Also, Mole is never a 20 goal a season player and would benefit having an out and out striker beside him, a Kris Boyd type.

The thing about Mole is that he goes about his business without petty indiscipline and has a tremendous work ethic. You never see/hear him berating other players, the management or the referee. It's easy to see how he could be a favourite with Csaba.

Some people say he is not a scoring striker and the figures up to now bear that out (in the first team) but anyone who was at the game on Saturday will know he could have had a hat trick where he got himself into lethal positions and did not receive the obvious pass.He has a lot of work ahead of him but he's not the dummy some tried to make out.

Exactly, you have to create chances for the strikers. I think he only got one sniff at a cross but Driver hit it too high and on the other occasions he never even got the cross over.

Jambo Hud316

I have never rated Mole but on Saturday he played really well

Was a lot stronger in possession of the ball from previous times I have seen him and he chased everything. Looked like he would definately benefit playing alongside another striker because despite his good performance you never once felt he was likely to score.

I had Mole or Stewart down as my man of the match

Guest casper

I thought he was MoM on Saturday. I was happily surprised to see he'd beefed up a bit form last time I saw him. The role he played on Saturday was about holding the ball up and playing in others which I thought he did well on the whole. I was saying during the game that we might see a different side to his game if he had a striking partner with him. Unfortunately for him that partner turned out to be Makela.

Charlie-Brown

If Driver (twice) and Cesnauskis had played the ball to the unmarked Mole when they should have instead of trying to do everything themselves then Mole would have had 3 great goalscoring opportunities on saturday - he was clearly frustrated the twice Driver chose the wrong option.

If Driver (twice) and Cesnauskis had played the ball to the unmarked Mole when they should have instead of trying to do everything themselves then Mole would have had 3 great goalscoring opportunities on saturday - he was clearly frustrated the twice Driver chose the wrong option.

Yup, thats the thing. He might not have scored but did he get any / many chances?

I think its only when he gets 3 or 4 chances a game and misses them all we can start saying he is a gash striker.

If he is first choice for a lot of the season he would benefit, of course, from better service, but also a proper striking partner IMO. This "player in the hole" malarky has its moments, but I am entirely unconvinced it is our best formation

It doesn't matter if Mole can score goals really, (though they would be preferred), if he can play like he did on Saturday he'll help create chances for others to score and tire defences so that others can do.

And not in the way the media tell us that Kenny Miller does.*

*Kenny Miller in contrast just runs around a lot occasionally touching the ball.

Charlie-Brown

All Mole's best work on saturday was leading the line, getting flick on's and challenging opposition defenders - he was not presented with ANY chances despite getting into great positions to score on at least 3 separate instances on saturday - I'd say the service was to blame rather than any failing on his behalf - at least based on saturday's game.

Archived