American Visa

djf

On 1/27/2018 at 00:39, Peebo said:

Don’t **** around with visas and overstaying if you ever want to go back, as stated. 

I think you can get a B-2 visa which, I believe, are valid for much longer than an ESTA and can allow longer stays for 90 days. Not sure of the ins and outs. I was advised (or encouraged by a costly lawyer) to get one after abandoning my green card, but didn’t bother. Too expensive, and ESTA is fine for me. Would be get a green card quick enough if I want to return.

i suspect you’d be better just flying to Costa Rica for a few days, then reentering on an ESTA. 

Exactly this, depending on where you are in the country just nip across a border for a couple of hours - I used to jump across to HK from China every 60 days - thankfully no need anymore.

Bridge of Djoum
1 hour ago, neonjambo said:

Exactly this, depending on where you are in the country just nip across a border for a couple of hours - I used to jump across to HK from China every 60 days - thankfully no need anymore.

Can't do this anymore.

2 hours ago, No Wing Mirrors on Trains. said:

Can't do this anymore.

Yea just read up on it, seems surrounding islands(carribean), Mexico Canada ect counts as part of your stay in USA.

Sorry to put it better, a trip there will not reset your days.

On 1/28/2018 at 09:53, Peebo said:

Missed a three-hour connection flying back to the US through Newark with a six month old, a few years back. Truly horrible experience. Last time i fly in and immediately connect in a US airport, if I can help it. 

First time In Newark was a nightmare - took ages to get through, that was about 3-4 years ago.  Last year I almost walked right through (was on my own), I thought they had made some improvements to that section but couldn't be sure

On 26/01/2018 at 17:10, Hendricks said:

Yep both the B1 and B2 (non-immigrant) visas are a maximum 6 months in duration rather than the ESTA which is 90 days. Both can be extended by a further 6 months.

B1 is for business. B2 for pleasure. Need to make an embassy appointment to get either visa in your passport.

A couple of years back I applied for a B1 visa to help start up the US branch of our company. I also thought the maximum was 6 months, but the US Embassy in London issued my visa for a full year.

1 hour ago, DarthVodka said:

First time In Newark was a nightmare - took ages to get through, that was about 3-4 years ago.  Last year I almost walked right through (was on my own), I thought they had made some improvements to that section but couldn't be sure

Newark is generally OK for getting into the US, but it depends a lot on your aircraft arrival time as the EDI, GLA, MAN, Belfast and LHR flights all arrive at approximately the same time. If your last into the arrivals hall, then expect a wait.

The worst part is after you collect your luggage, you need to go landside and reenter through security for your connection. Newark is in the process of  'upgrading' all the security areas in Terminal C and a wait of up to an hour is not uncommon. Fortunately, I travel as Global Entry and TSA approved these days and rarely have to queue :pleased:

Archived