Caledonian Sleeper Train

christhejambo

christhejambo

Im down in London on Wednesday, and coming back up the same night on the sleeper train. Never been on the sleeper before, just wondering what to expect really. Im travelling on my own, so will no doubt end up with a random guy in my room. Without getting paranoid, is there anywhere i can stick a laptop etc to prevent it getting nicked?

Drink a shed load of bevvy to knock you out.

The sleeper trains seem to constantly stop and start so you get wakened up all the time. It's a nightmare.

christhejambo
Drink a shed load of bevvy to knock you out.

The sleeper trains seem to constantly stop and start so you get wakened up all the time. It's a nightmare.

Believe me, i will be. Got 5 or 6 hrs to burn in London before my train, so i expect to be fairly drousy before i even get on!

Always fancied trying the sleeper as an alternative to the early morning flight but have never got round to it. The idea of sharing with a random puts me off a bit, especially after the Contalmaison trip. :cool_shades:

I P Knightley
Im down in London on Wednesday, and coming back up the same night on the sleeper train. Never been on the sleeper before, just wondering what to expect really. Im travelling on my own, so will no doubt end up with a random guy in my room. Without getting paranoid, is there anywhere i can stick a laptop etc to prevent it getting nicked?

"Sleeper" is a misnomer if ever I came across one.

It'll be even more so if you start worrying about folk lifting your laptop and that big bear sharing your cabin; just released from Pentonville, and eyeing you up for a spot of aving his wicked way with you.

Of course, if you don't think of these things, you might sleep like a baby.

Just the way the bear likes it.

christhejambo
"Sleeper" is a misnomer if ever I came across one.

It'll be even more so if you start worrying about folk lifting your laptop and that big bear sharing your cabin; just released from Pentonville, and eyeing you up for a spot of aving his wicked way with you.

Of course, if you don't think of these things, you might sleep like a baby.

Just the way the bear likes it.

How very reassuring. :sad: I pity the poor barsteward who gets stuck with me too though- my missus moans non stop about my snoring at the best of times!

Is it a business trip?

If so, surely your company should get you on a plane

I P Knightley
How very reassuring. :sad: I pity the poor barsteward who gets stuck with me too though- my missus moans non stop about my snoring at the best of times!

The time I took it, I don't remember having to share with anyone. Just didn't get much sleep with all the clattering & screeching.

christhejambo
Is it a business trip?

If so, surely your company should get you on a plane

Nah, its for an interview - im not even getting travel expenses back for it either. Flights were going to work out at a couple of hundred quid for the times i needed to be down and back for, so train was my only option really.

I don't mind the sleeper. Travelled on it alone a few times and never had a share with anyone.

And it beats the alternative. Currently on an overnight Megabus to London, as Sleeper was sold out. We've just pulled into a services near Leeds. This is torture! Def better on the sleeper train.

One things for sure, I'll sleep on my plane to Canada tomorrow.

Kickback mobile is the muts nuts!

I think that they are in the process of phasing out or have phased out the shared sleepers.

I get a better sleep on it than I do on long haul planes.

My dad works on the sleeper trains - not on wed though.

Ive been on a few times - all of which was fine.

You want to be near the middle of the train - as the front and end are a little noisey and do sway alot.

You can get the doors locked for the laptop.

A Boy Named Crow

The sleepers I've used have all been on the continent. Mental they were. They had triple bunks - I was para about taking a dive if the train stopped suddenly! I remember tying everything of value to my body before I went to sleep. Relaxed after a while though, they're not that bad (except for the time I was sharing with some Italian cycling team - they were honking!!!)

Always fancied trying the sleeper as an alternative to the early morning flight but have never got round to it. The idea of sharing with a random puts me off a bit, especially after the Contalmaison trip. :cool_shades:

I know what you mean, I shared with a right loony that trip! Snoring and farting all night he was!

I've always quite enjoyed the sleeper, whenever I've had to share it's been me snoring all night keeping the random awake rather than the other way round. But i've never had much hassle catching zzzzs

Nah, its for an interview - im not even getting travel expenses back for it either. Flights were going to work out at a couple of hundred quid for the times i needed to be down and back for, so train was my only option really.

Good luck with the interview mate:)

What does the sleeper charge?

How long is the journey?

christhejambo
Good luck with the interview mate:)

What does the sleeper charge?

How long is the journey?

Cheers. Im paying around 45 quid one way- leaving London at 23.45 on Wednesday, and back in Edinburgh for 7am ish on Thursday. Im sure it'll be fine-ive travelled on some fairly grotty trains in E.Europe before- but will definately be getting tanked up pre-train to numb the pain!

Only once got a sleeper, I'd only bought a regular seat, but the guard at Waverley told me there were spare cabins and to fill my boots! I got in and made myself comfy, but just before we pulled off a foreign random came in to the cabin, obviously told by the guard that there was a bed free.

I told him to **** off and find his own cabin, which might just be the very height of brassneck attitude!

I woke up with the worst hangover I think I've ever had, polished off the two bottles of complimentary Highland Spring just as we pulled into Kings Cross.

Hellish night tbh.

Archived