Smoking at Tynie.

Doctor FinnBarr

Doctor FinnBarr

Nik and I are nicotine addicts and struggle to last the length of a game without having a puff. At half-time yesterday we went out the back of the Gorgie stand (1st time in there) in the hope we could sneak one. Lo and behold there was quite a few in the same boat and fags were sparked up. Then comes the steward, "you can't smoke here", "get a grip mate we're out in the open", then various council regulations are spouted. We had finished the fags by this point so it was pointless him rambling on much more.

The point of this thread is, should we be allowed to light up out in the open even if it is against council regulations? Bear in mind before you answer that the said council and indeed Scottish and UK governments provide private rooms in chemists for junkies to neck their free methodone out of the sight of the general public!

:mad:

chester copperpot
Nik and I are nicotine addicts and struggle to last the length of a game without having a puff. At half-time yesterday we went out the back of the Gorgie stand (1st time in there) in the hope we could sneak one. Lo and behold there was quite a few in the same boat and fags were sparked up. Then comes the steward, "you can't smoke here", "get a grip mate we're out in the open", then various council regulations are spouted. We had finished the fags by this point so it was pointless him rambling on much more.

The point of this thread is, should we be allowed to light up out in the open even if it is against council regulations? Bear in mind before you answer that the said council and indeed Scottish and UK governments provide private rooms in chemists for junkies to neck their free methodone out of the sight of the general public!

Get over it, its the law.

Smokers should be shot.

portobellojambo1

Smokers should be shot.

Hey careful sh y teheid.

When the change at Tynecastle came in I used to occasionally go down onto the concourse at HT for a fag, I don't bother now.

Doctor FinnBarr

Smokers should be shot.

Smoking is legal tho, taking smack isn't, why should the smack-heids get a helping hand but smokers don't!

chester copperpot
Smoking is legal tho, taking smack isn't, why should the smack-heids get a helping hand but smokers don't!

Smackheids should be shot also. ;)

MacDonald Jardine

Smokers should be shot.

No it's not. It's Hearts' regulations.

All the enforcement of no smoking in the open areas has led to is folk smoking in the covered concourse.

Do some people really struggle to go 1 hour and 45 minutes without a smoke?

What do they do when they have to get a flight?

should we be allowed to light up out in the open even if it is against council regulations?

No.

Smoking is a filthy habit that is quite rightly discouraged.

Doctor FinnBarr

What do they do when they have to get a flight?[/QUOTE]

Struggle!

:confused:

kirstyhearts

I think it's great that Tynie is no smoking. I took my baby along yesterday as his daddy was working, he also went to the pub for half an hour before it. Either we were both stuck in all day with the rain or we went to the footie. Result - he had a ball and I got to see the first game of the season. If smoking were still allowed I wouldn't have taken him.

chester copperpot

I'd imagine smokers cant afford to go on long haul flights due to the amount they spend on fags. :rolleyes:

Get a windae seat of course,and leave it open a wee bit....what else?:)

Doctor FinnBarr
I think it's great that Tynie is no smoking. I took my baby along yesterday as his daddy was working, he also went to the pub for half an hour before it. Either we were both stuck in all day with the rain or we went to the footie. Result - he had a ball and I got to see the first game of the season. If smoking were still allowed I wouldn't have taken him.

I'm not looking to smoke in the stands Kirsty, just for a bit of common sense in the outside areas at half time.

I'm not looking to smoke in the stands Kirsty, just for a bit of common sense in the outside areas at half time.

Right thread. :wacko:

My personal view is that I'm glad it's banned in the stands and concourse. I used to hate watching the game and some eejit's fag smoke swirling in your face. However, I've no objection to anyone smoking in the open air ( away from me ).

I understand that Hearts state that Tynecastle, as a whole, is designated under the act as an enclosed space. No idea if that is true but it explains the ban on puffing outdoors..

MacDonald Jardine
Right thread. :wacko:

My personal view is that I'm glad it's banned in the stands and concourse. I used to hate watching the game and some eejit's fag smoke swirling in your face. However, I've no objection to anyone smoking in the open air ( away from me ).

I understand that Hearts state that Tynecastle, as a whole, is designated under the act as an enclosed space. No idea if that is true but it explains the ban on puffing outdoors..

I agree about the stands and concourse.

I'm fairly sure Hearts are wrong about that if that's what they're saying. That would make a pub beer garden an enclosed space for example.

I've also been told by a number of stewards that it's Hearts not the Act.

All the grounds seem to be banning smoking completely.

after pressleys banner got burned down it's surely right that the club take precautions to protect the rest of our legend banners...

chester copperpot
I agree about the stands and concourse.

I'm fairly sure Hearts are wrong about that if that's what they're saying. That would make a pub beer garden an enclosed space for example.

I've also been told by a number of stewards that it's Hearts not the Act.

All the grounds seem to be banning smoking completely.

I'm pretty sure the confines of a stadium, whether open air or not are banned completely for smoking.

I actually feel quite sorry for the puffers, was only messing about earlier. ;) There's a bit in between the Gorgie and Wheatfield that should not be banned as its completely open air.

Like the fact I can take my laddie (who's chronic asthmatic) to the games now without worrying that someone aint going to spark a ciggie.

I dont smoke but I think its crap people cant smoke down the back... My pal managed 2 fags yesterday and no one said a thing...

Jambof3tornado

Hearts could allow the smokers out onto the steps leading into the wheatfield to smoke and at least there its controlled. That may mean you could actually see where you are pee-ing at half time for all the smoke in the bogs!!

I understand banning smoking within the gound and concourse but TBH I don't see the problem with folk smoking outside eg, between Wheatfield/Gorgie Stand or down the steps in front of the turnstiles at the back of the Wheatfield. These areas are completely uncovered and non-smokers (other than some REAL fans that leave at HT to go to Robbos) ;) have no reason to be in that area at HT, so whats the problem?

Miller Jambo 60
I dont smoke but I think its crap people cant smoke down the back... My pal managed 2 fags yesterday and no one said a thing...

I dont smoke, but as Andy says between the Gorgie and Wheatfield is open air.

And loads of room for said smokers.

The law at Tyne is a joke and just feeds the wee stewards with an excuse to winge at people.

I don't see why anybody would have an objection to smokers smking at the open air sections away from the rest.

Bet those same stewards won't enforce it in the bogs as well.

Your a drain on the NHS that I pay for and if you cant give it up for 90 sodding minutes you'll be dead at my expense within a few years.

Do you never go on an aeroplane ?

Doctor FinnBarr
Your a drain on the NHS that I pay for and if you cant give it up for 90 sodding minutes you'll be dead at my expense within a few years.

We're not talking about a plane, open spaces at Tynie.

Its all the folk that smoke in the toilets at half time that get me. :mad:

Honestly the toilets at half time in the Wheatfield make the Beijing air quality rival that of the Highlands.

Its all the folk that smoke in the toilets at half time that get me. :mad:

Honestly the toilets at half time in the Wheatfield make the Beijing air quality rival that of the Highlands.

Solution....

Let people smoke in the open areas.

Regardless of the " ban " people are going to smoke at half time.

Myself included though never in the toilets.

Many will if there is no where else.

What about all those poor folk who smoke in the mainstand (I don't myself)? No open air spaces there....is that the cost of getting a value for money seat!!

Ron Atkinsons Microphone

I smoke on the concourse at G. About 80% of people there at half time are smokers.

auldbauldfan

Drain on the NHS my erse. I have been a smoker for the past 50 years and have paid enough in duty on my fags over this period to pay for whatever NHS treatment I have had or am likely to need in the future.

The whole point of the argument is that on an aircraft there is no alternative (although a few radges do try and smoke in the toilets). At Tynecastle, however, there are open-air areas where smokers could have a fag without inconveniencing anyone. No reasonable non-smoker would object to that.

This pops up from time to time on Kickback. I'm not going to get into the rights and wrongs of smoking, just give you my view on the current situation at Tynecastle.

I agree that there are plenty of open spaces around the stadium that look as if they could be smoking spaces. But....

I feel it would be a backward step to introduce smoking areas. All stadia in Scotland are completely non-smoking. Do we want to be the backward ones? A lot of non-smokers take their kids to Tynecastle, and probably don't want them seeing smoking as something "cool" to do at halftime. Or have to walk through a smoky haze on the way to the Weegie van.

So, smokers, come on, wake up to the fact it's 2008 and treat a trip to Tynie the same as going somewhere else where you just can't smoke. Not just flights, but sitting through a two hour film in a cinema, or going to the theatre or a gig (OK, I stretched it with the last one......).

And as long as it remains banned in Tynecastle, if you must have a sneaky puff, be sensible. Please don't smoke in the toilets or in the enclosed concourse. And please don't abuse the stewards who point out that you are in the wrong, when you are.

I'm pretty sure the tax thats paid on fags will cover an awful lot of the funding for the NHS.

MackaysCentreSpot

It clearly states on Hearts ST book vouchers and match tickets that Hearts is now a non smoking stadium.

Stadium meaning as soon as you pass through the turnstiles you cannot smoke any where within the stadium.

Its not that difficult to understand is it.

Again i can't understand why folk can't go 1 hour 45 mins without a smoke.

Do all the smokers have jobs that mean they can go for a smoke whenever they want? Do they never go on flights outwith the UK? Do they never go to the movies with their other halfs?

Why cant people just accept that some folk like smoking? Fair enough if you dont like it but im pretty sure you dont get smokers harping on at fok who drink or eat pies all day that its bad for them. Whiney feckers.

We've all got our vices. Be it the bookies, drinking or being a fattie. They all have their casualties that take up a share of the NHS but the amount of stick smokers get is ridiculous.

With regards to the smoking in Tynie its just the way it is. It will never change so you just need to deal with it. There is space to make a place for smoking but cant see that happening anytime soon. Id be more than happy for it cos it would get all the old jakies out the bogs at half time so you can actually go take a pish without pushing past them and getting dirty looks.

MacDonald Jardine
It clearly states on Hearts ST book vouchers and match tickets that Hearts is now a non smoking stadium.

Stadium meaning as soon as you pass through the turnstiles you cannot smoke any where within the stadium.

The fact that Hearts clearly state something doesn't mean they're obliged to by law.

They can clearly state they've changed their minds,

Guest S.U.S.S.
I'm pretty sure the tax thats paid on fags will cover an awful lot of the funding for the NHS.

Im sure it was posted sometime before that the tax generated on fags far outweighs the amount spent on treating smoking related patients.

Could be wrong tho.

The fact that Hearts clearly state something doesn't mean they're obliged to by law.

They can clearly state they've changed their minds,

But Hearts haven't changed their minds though, have they.

As it stands, Tynecastle is a non-smoking stadium.

Until they do change their minds, if you smoke in Tynecastle you run the risk of falling foul of the stadium regulations and therefore suffering the consequences of same.

IMO all smokers should be thrown out. Not because i'm an anti-smoker, just because i think it's pathetic that folk have so little will power that they can't go through a game of football without a cigarette.

Guest S.U.S.S.

I smoke and manage to last the game, sometimes if ive had a drink i admit i have popped to one of the more open areas out the back for a fly puff at half time.

Id be more interested in throwing out the idiots who cant sit for 45 mins without goiong for a pee or turn up at 3:10. Or maybe those who dont know the words to songs.

MacDonald Jardine
But Hearts haven't changed their minds though, have they.

As it stands, Tynecastle is a non-smoking stadium.

Until they do change their minds, if you smoke in Tynecastle you run the risk of falling foul of the stadium regulations and therefore suffering the consequences of same.

IMO all smokers should be thrown out. Not because i'm an anti-smoker, just because i think it's pathetic that folk have so little will power that they can't go through a game of football without a cigarette.

That's not the point.

There are posts above stating the whole stadium is covered by the Act which outlawed smoking in enclosed spaces.

It isn't.

You're perfectly entitled to your tolerant opinions.

That's not the point.

There are posts above stating the whole stadium is covered by the Act which outlawed smoking in enclosed spaces.

It isn't.

You're perfectly entitled to your tolerant opinions.

It is very much the point.

"It clearly states on Hearts ST book vouchers and match tickets that Hearts is now a non smoking stadium."

Whether it is part of the law or not is not the point. As part of the stadium regulations, Hearts have designated Tynecastle to be a non-smoking stadium.

If you smoke, you are knowingly in breach of the stadium regulations.

I smoke and manage to last the game, sometimes if ive had a drink i admit i have popped to one of the more open areas out the back for a fly puff at half time.

Id be more interested in throwing out the idiots who cant sit for 45 mins without goiong for a pee or turn up at 3:10. Or maybe those who dont know the words to songs.

Up until 5 months ago, i had smoked for nearly 20 years.

When i had my ST for the wheatfield i used to have the occasional fly smoke on the concourse.

But since moving to the main stand i never had a problem with lasting the duration of a game without one.

MacDonald Jardine
It is very much the point.

"It clearly states on Hearts ST book vouchers and match tickets that Hearts is now a non smoking stadium."

Whether it is part of the law or not is not the point. As part of the stadium regulations, Hearts have designated Tynecastle to be a non-smoking stadium.

If you smoke, you are knowingly in breach of the stadium regulations.

Try reading what is posted.

It is not the point.

Try reading what is posted.

It is not the point.

I did read what you posted - Here it is along with the post you quoted...

They can clearly state they've changed their minds' date='[/quote']

Is Tynecastle a non-smoking stadium or not?

portobellojambo1
Im sure it was posted sometime before that the tax generated on fags far outweighs the amount spent on treating smoking related patients.

Could be wrong tho.

You are correct, a female poster posted information which showed the amount of money going into the NHS via tax on cigarettes is actually keeping the NHS going, in fact it went on to state that if everyone who smokes stopped the NHS would collapse. Smokers are effectively ensuring non smokers get a decent standard of health care, but that wouldn't make good reading generally.

I did read what you posted - Here it is along with the post you quoted...

Is Tynecastle a non-smoking stadium or not?

try going for a **** in section N at half time

Guest S.U.S.S.
Up until 5 months ago, i had smoked for nearly 20 years.

When i had my ST for the wheatfield i used to have the occasional fly smoke on the concourse.

But since moving to the main stand i never had a problem with lasting the duration of a game without one.

So, i think your saying everyone in the WF is a puff? ;)

You are correct, a female poster posted information which showed the amount of money going into the NHS via tax on cigarettes is actually keeping the NHS going, in fact it went on to state that if everyone who smokes stopped the NHS would collapse. Smokers are effectively ensuring non smokers get a decent standard of health care, but that wouldn't make good reading generally.

But the duty on cigarettes gets lumped in with all the other taxation into the government's budget. The NHS is paid for out of the government's total budget. It's not as if the money from cigarette duty is ring-fenced for the NHS and the NHS would collapse without it.

You might as well argue that smokers are funding the building of the national cycle network, or the subsidy that the London Olympics are getting, or putting showers in prisons, or anyone of another billion things that all our taxes in all forms fund.

Guest S.U.S.S.
But the duty on cigarettes gets lumped in with all the other taxation into the government's budget. The NHS is paid for out of the government's total budget. It's not as if the money from cigarette duty is ring-fenced for the NHS and the NHS would collapse without it.

You might as well argue that smokers are funding the building of the national cycle network, or the subsidy that the London Olympics are getting, or putting showers in prisons, or anyone of another billion things that all our taxes in all forms fund.

Come on now love, don't you worry your pretty little head about numbers and little things like running the country, dont forget, two sugars. ;)

Archived