So what did you honestly think of Motherwell?

Spellczech

Thought it might be an idea to have such a thread after each of the first 11 games...

I thought they actually looked pretty similar to last season even though they lost a few players. Whilst last season they would have mugged us for the result this time they got equalisers and then we went back at them.

They didn't have much to offer in midfield but their strikers are dangerous on the few occasions that they got in behind us.

Defensively they got pulled all over the place by Mole and Audrey and latterly Miko and Chesney. A bit of improvement in getting the crosses and final pass in and we could have racked up even more than 3...

Chad Sexington
Thought it might be an idea to have such a thread after each of the first 11 games...

I thought they actually looked pretty similar to last season even though they lost a few players. Whilst last season they would have mugged us for the result this time they got equalisers and then we went back at them.

They didn't have much to offer in midfield but their strikers are dangerous on the few occasions that they got in behind us.

Defensively they got pulled all over the place by Mole and Audrey and latterly Miko and Chesney. A bit of improvement in getting the crosses and final pass in and we could have racked up even more than 3...

I thought defensively they were shaky as hell.

On another day we could have had 4 or 5 against them.

They do play some nice stuff though and are pretty dangerous going forward.

I never felt comfortable that we were definitely going to win put it that way.

We'll play much worse teams than Well this season. That's why the result is so pleasing for me.

200milesfromgorgie

i don't think the will have a season like last. we'll (if we get the plyers and buck up our ides) will be fighting it out with dundee utd.

Seymour M Hersh

As above. Slightly better than average. It will be interesting to see if they are anywhere near the mix for 3/4th this year. I have my doubts. They have a very small squad and if suspensions and injuries hit they will struggle. Defensively they are suspect as well.

MacDonald Jardine
As above. Slightly better than average. It will be interesting to see if they are anywhere near the mix for 3/4th this year. I have my doubts. They have a very small squad and if suspensions and injuries hit they will struggle. Defensively they are suspect as well.

I didn't think they were significantly worse than last season, when they were the best of an average league.

MacDonald Jardine
Stephen Hughes still makes them tick and David Clarkson is going to have the season that gets him a move to Rangers/Celtic/Wolves/Birmingham/Plymouth.

Craigan is a shocker, McGhee knows it but still gave him the captain's armband.

Bob Malcolm's rubbish but everyone in front of him can play a bit so he'll be carried for the season picking up hundreds of bookings and 'protecting' the defence.

I predict top six for Murderwell....just.

I though Malcolm did a good job for his team yesterday.

Not the most skilfull but every team heeds someone who can win the ball and play it on.

Dagger Is Back

Spot on. I'd have Hughes and Clarkson in my team but that's about it. I like the way they play the game but no wonder turncoat was trying to sign John Kennedy - that defence is a nightmare.

Motherwell will be lucky to make the top 6 unless they make some signings.

They are good going forward but their defence which is basically the same as last year looks unbelievably bad.

They have a very small squad and unless they are very fortunate with injuries and suspensions will struggle IMO (if they don't make some signings).

ToadKiller Dog

they have a small squad?

look at the back of the match program a lot bigger than ours,maybe not as much talent.

thought they were above average in terms of the SPL which means top 6 think thats about the place they will be ,they have enough football and danger about them to end up around 5th 6th.

I think Mcghee will regret not leaving in the summer as i cant see him getting much in the way of resources and as much as i hope they do ok in europe i think a half decent European side will be to clever for them.His and motherwells media darling stock will drop a little this season.

At this moment i dont think we are much better then them but i think we should get stronger as the season grows .

chester copperpot

To me, the difference yesterday wasn't Motherwell, the difference was Hearts.

If we had a leader, a goal getter and an attacking MF, then we'd be ***** hot.

i.e Pressley, Hartley and Velicka. ;)

winston churchill

as i said yesterday,they wont make the top six.

one season wonders who were gifted their two goals.

i can only remember banksy making one save from a header.

as for mcghee,is he pregnant

I thought defensively they were shaky as hell.

On another day we could have had 4 or 5 against them.

They do play some nice stuff though and are pretty dangerous going forward.

I never felt comfortable that we were definitely going to win put it that way.

We'll play much worse teams than Well this season. That's why the result is so pleasing for me.

I would agree with that. If Motherwell could shore up that defence they would do a lot better, their midfield of Hughes and Lasley is okay and I like both Porter and Clarkson.

As for how we dealt with them, a little composure and we could have increased our lead on many occasions. I feel we allowed Motherwell onto us with our midfield line up, do that against R@ng*rs and they will score more than Motherwell did.

Motherwell have been a credit to the League the last couple of seasons.

Their Youth teams all perform well and they have a few other gems coming through.

Small support though, and Fir Park looks like it was designed by the muppet from Ayrshire in the BB house.

I've never been as impressed with Motherwell as a lot of folk, they do try and play football and were beginning to pin us back a bit up until Mole scored. Dont think they're anything to be scared of though.

I thought a lot of what they done in the game was down to our own errors, Clarkson took his goals well but both very avoidable from our point of view. We dropped out of the game for a long spell in the second half and let them have the ball far too often, we definitely let them back in the game when it should have been wrapped up long before.

they have a small squad?

look at the back of the match program a lot bigger than ours,maybe not as much talent.

Check their web-site

I run a FFL tournament and I was shocked how few players they had listed as first team. In addition McGhee was harping on about having a small squad on the radio a few days ago. :)

Charlie-Brown

Motherwell looked no better nor worse than last season - a tidy enough outfit - better going forward than defending but as a whole cartainly better than Hibs, Aberdeen, Kilmarnock, St. Mirren, Hamilton & Inverness - Falkirk also look a tidy footballing team but I think Motherwell have better goal threat.

I would say that the Old Firm, Dundee United & Hearts will be better than them this season but that is only 4 teams - there are still 2 other top six places up for grabs and I'd be very surprised if Motherwell didn't occupy one of them.

The People's Chimp
Motherwell have been a credit to the League the last couple of seasons.

Their Youth teams all perform well and they have a few other gems coming through.

Small support though, and Fir Park looks like it was designed by the muppet from Ayrshire in the BB house.

I could never call motherwell a credit to our league. I cannot stand them.

Charlie-Brown
'Well were poor imo.

On todays showing at Darkheid St Mirren look a better team than 'Well.

Motherwell finished comfortably ahead of us last season as the SPL table shows but in games between us and them there was nothing between us with 2 wins each and a draw in the 5 games played.

Hearts beat Motherwell twice at Fir Park last season and should also have won the 2-2 cup draw at Tynecastle - they won the other SPL game 2-1 at Tynie and 1-0 at Fir Park in the cup replay.

Jam Tarts 1874

Motherwell haven't lost any of their first team players and therefore looked very similar to last season. Last season Motherwell avoided suspensions and injuries and so were unchanged for most games. It is unlikely that they will get quite so lucky this season.

A big difference yesterday is that Csaba reacted to McGhee's changes, last season Frail just watched on like a frightened rabbit whilst McGhee turned games in his team's favour, particularly the Scottish Cup tie.

Charlie-Brown

They did lose Ross McCormack to Cardiff and he was probably their best attacking prospect but that apart they are very much along the same lines as last season, probably not got a strong enough squad to finish 3rd in successive seasons also I reckon Hearts & Dundee United will be stronger this season.

Thought it might be an idea to have such a thread after each of the first 11 games......

I thought they were pesh. McGhee proved my opinion of him based on previous jobs.....he's a one season wonder. Thankfully he didn't rock up at Tynecastle.

portobellojambo1

Thought they looked similar, in style, to last season, but the loss of Ross McCormack as their main attacking option could make them a lot less troublesome to other teams this season.

Decent going forward, shocking at the back. Hearts could have scored more than three.

Bob Malcolm is a huddy and is at the centre of their team.

Disser Pointon
I've never been as impressed with Motherwell as a lot of folk, they do try and play football and were beginning to pin us back a bit up until Mole scored. Dont think they're anything to be scared of though.

I thought a lot of what they done in the game was down to our own errors, Clarkson took his goals well but both very avoidable from our point of view. We dropped out of the game for a long spell in the second half and let them have the ball far too often, we definitely let them back in the game when it should have been wrapped up long before.

Must've missed that! :dribble:

Must've missed that! :dribble:

What a donkey!

obviously meant Stewart, that's what drinking does to you I suppose!!!

Miller Jambo 60
What a donkey!

obviously meant Stewart, that's what drinking does to you I suppose!!!

I thought you had got away with that.

No chance it is KICKBACK :)

Era Macaroons

OP See thumbnail

They looked very ordinary and it would have been a travesty if they had nicked a draw.

McGeek must be seek that he chose to stay with a run of the mill outfit

motherwell_thumb.jpg

Archived