What positions do we still need?

JamboSean

Right, most of you have seen the team for the first game of the season. What do you think we need to add to that for a European finish, as I expect a top 6 one with the present squad.

I think we need;

A right back, Thomson is no better than Neilson.

An experienced centre half. Berra and Zaliukas were good today, but I still think we need one more.

An attacking midfielder. We need some one like Hartley or Cameron who can go beyond the strikers and get goals. This is if we persist with Larry at right midfield.

A striker. We need a poacher, Mole will run all day. We need some one who will hang around the box to take the chances.

No Nonsense

2 full backs but maybe one, depending on which position Obua actually plays?? (That is no slight on Wallace's performance today, thought he played well).

Two strikers would also be nice- one large guy who can hold it up and get on the end of crosses, and one smaller speedy guy who has a trick and can stretch the game. That would see us into europe IMO...

Pants Shaton

Right back: Thomson makes Neilson look world-class

and

Striker

are the minimum changes required.

Jambof3tornado
Right, most of you have seen the team for the first game of the season. What do you think we need to add to that for a European finish, as I expect a top 6 one with the present squad.

I think we need;

An experienced centre half. Berra and Zaliukas were good today, but I still think we need one more.

An attacking midfielder. We need some one like Hartley or Cameron who can go beyond the strikers and get goals. This is if we persist with Larry at right midfield.

A striker. We need a poacher, Mole will run all day. We need some one who will hang around the box to take the chances.

Sorry but is that not what Stewart did today???

A left and right back of quality greater than we have,Berra and Zal will improve,and a goal scorer is a must.

Two full backs (depending on where Obua plays).

At least one more centre half - again may need two if Karipidis leaves. I really want Zal to come good, because there is definitely a player in there but maybe more experience would be good.

Two strikers - an absolute must. Makela is a gonner, today left us in no doubt. Nade is a talent but I do not think that he will ever be fit enough or motivated enough.

There is a number of posistions where we are obviously lacking but at a very minimium I could see the squad hold together and with the addition of two decent strikers to knock a few in i think we would reach europe.

I think we need;

Agree with all you say but I think we could do with 2 strikers.

If we're going to sign Tullberg (which seems likely) we need a finisher too.

Ernie Eskilsson

I think a big, hard centre half is the top priority. Zaliukas and Berra are too similar, both too hesitant, neither physical enough. After that a striker - I mean a goal-scorer not another hold-up man. Lastly, a goalkeeper - I like Banks but he should be moving towards coaching.

best in the land

in order of priority imo

1 pen box striker

1 right back

1 experienced centre half

1 attacking midfielder

1 left back

1 keeper

:)

chester copperpot
Agree with all you say but I think we could do with 2 strikers.

If we're going to sign Tullberg (which seems likely) we need a finisher too.

Spot on to the point as usual LC. I think Jason Thomson is exactly like RN. I want to give him the nod over Robbie though as he's played less games than RN, but I see so many similarities its unreal. Not a bad thing, but I want a better RB in the team.

Also, Jamie Mole did superb today, but would think Tullberg has been brought in to do that role better than Jamie has, so we need to sign another striker who can find the onion bag better than Ksana, who plays off the front striker, but may come in handy as an away formation player against the better teams.

I'd like to see 2 more players coming in, one GK, and one ST, which I think will hopefully happen.

think we need someone who will allow Kingston to play through the middle. Felt he did his best work when he came infield today, wasted out wide imho

We are badly needing a striker that can knock in goals. Audrey missed another good chance today at nil-nil when he was through with only the keeper to beat. Don't know what Tullberg will be like, but he certainly can't be any worse than Makela! I'm hoping Csaba will get something out of Nade (who seems to be sticking to the weightwatchers plan, looked to have lost some weight). We also need a LB (Obua?), RB (Thomson makes me nervous) and a keeper.

It depends where Obua will play. If he's playing at left back, then we're fine, if not then we need a left back becuase Wallace isn't good enough. Two strikers are essential also but if we are continuing with one upfront, then we need someone to play behind the striker.

There are positions like goalkeeper, right back, centre half and centre midfield that would be good also.

One thing that has been shown also is that Neilson is a lot better than Thomson at right back.

Reckon Tullberg is getting signed next week so that leaves...

1 more striker

1 right back

1 goalkeeper

that will get us into europe and if we are being picky we would look for a stronger left back, an experienced centre half and an attacking midfielder

I think we need;

I agree, except i'd want 2 quality strikers.

Sorry but is that not what Stewart did today???

A left and right back of quality greater than we have,Berra and Zal will improve,and a goal scorer is a must.

I'd have Stewart sitting deeper. It's not his game to get beyond the strikers.

Like I said, some one like Hartley or Cameron is a must.

I think we need;

I totally agree. In addition I would throw our young goalie in for a few games as ideally Banks should be back up.

2 full backs but maybe one, depending on which position Obua actually plays?? (That is no slight on Wallace's performance today, thought he played well).

Two strikers would also be nice- one large guy who can hold it up and get on the end of crosses, and one smaller speedy guy who has a trick and can stretch the game. That would see us into europe IMO...

As far as I know Obua prefers to play just behind the striker/s and given the performance of Wallace today I would be happy to let him continue at LB.

Obua would replace 28 but we still need a RB, Goalkeeper, Centre Back and two strikers.

Snake Plissken

We MUST get a better keeper in.

We need a finisher

We need a right back

Apart from that I thought we looked like a different team.

in order of priority imo

1 pen box striker

1 right back

1 attacking midfielder

1 left back

1 keeper

Agree with most of what you have said. May be inclined to try for two strikers, one penalty box and one target man who can hold the ball up ala Janny. Might not need a LB if Obua is any good.

funktasticlad

Niemi (Fulham) Brilliant GK

Barr CB to partner berra (falkirk) and Caddis RB looked a player vs barcelona last season and Man city the other night (celtic)

Arfield (falkirk) or Hughes (motherwell) both technically gifted

and a striker on loan from a prem team stokes of sunderland or sinclar of chelsea would fit the bill

None of the above will happen but 500k to 1million on two or three players of this standard would see us seriously be in contention for europe

Hopefully the next 21 days will give us a few gems with unknown quality-regardless of being bargain basement or having to pay for them.

Cmon Shabba-looking forward to seeing some of those interesting names ;)

in order of priority imo

1 pen box striker

1 right back

1 attacking midfielder

1 left back

1 keeper

I agree with this. I would think that Obua will be our left back, if he isn't then it is a position we need to look at.

Guest JamboRobbo

Depends a lot where Obua is going to play IMO.

We definately need a keeper.

We could do with a RB although Thomson did better than i've ever seen him do yesterday, I just don't think he's gonna cut it.

We definately need a CH to play beside Berra. Zaliukas costs us goals constantly, as he did again yesterday despite trying his best throughout the match and doing about as well as he is capable of. He STILL cost us.

If Obua plays attacking midfield, and Wallace at LB, then we are sorted there. Wallace and Driver look a good partnership IMO, and just need a run of games together.

Finally, we need a couple of strikers. Mole did very well yesterday, but I think that was partly down to the poor quality of the opposition CH he was up against (as slow as a week in jail), and I doubt he'll be able to maintain that for the season. So Mole should be back up to a couple of quality strikers.

Depends a lot where Obua is going to play IMO.

We definately need a keeper.

We could do with a RB although Thomson did better than i've ever seen him do yesterday, I just don't think he's gonna cut it.

We definately need a CH to play beside Berra. Zaliukas costs us goals constantly, as he did again yesterday despite trying his best throughout the match and doing about as well as he is capable of. He STILL cost us.

If Obua plays attacking midfield, and Wallace at LB, then we are sorted there. Wallace and Driver look a good partnership IMO, and just need a run of games together.

Finally, we need a couple of strikers. Mole did very well yesterday, but I think that was partly down to the poor quality of the opposition CH he was up against (as slow as a week in jail), and I doubt he'll be able to maintain that for the season. So Mole should be back up to a couple of quality strikers.

for god sake:

a)what goal did zal cost us? if you're refering to the first goal it was kingston and thomson who failed to switch on at a quick throw in

b)zaliukas never lost a header all game yesterday

c)zaliukas was a better playr yesterday than berra

d) very positive well done!! i hope he doesnt read kickback, its comments like that which makes players short of confidence, despite the fact they put in 153% (csaba %) and had their best game in a hearts jersey

Charlie-Brown

The players we have are the players we will have, maybe 1 or 2 will come in as Csaba has talked about trying to get a goalie and a striker in and maybe Basso or 1 or 2 others might leave but there isn't going to be any wholesale changes.....so we need to give our backing and support to the guys we have as we need them to give their best for us.

It was encouraging that yesterday we seen a big improvement in Mole, Stewart & Miko's contribution so hopefully over the coming weeks Csaba will be able to get the most he can from all the players plus Obua & 1 or 2 new guys.

A back up goalkeeper, although I'm not sure that Jamie MacDonald couldn't be that back up 'keeper anyway.

A right back is a must, Thomson did OK but made a few basic errors in the first half. Think Robbie would have been better yesterday.

A left back isn't really a problem at the moment, with Wallace, Obua and Rapnik all there.

An attacking midfielder would be nice, although that problem could be fixed with Miko on the right and Larry in the middle. IF he started making a bit more of an effort.

If Tullberg came in, I'd want to see a finisher brought in as well. Although, nothing to suggest that Glen couldn't be that finisher.

Time will tell really.

Guest JamboRobbo
for god sake:

a)what goal did zal cost us? if you're refering to the first goal it was kingston and thomson who failed to switch on at a quick throw in

b)zaliukas never lost a header all game yesterday

c)zaliukas was a better playr yesterday than berra

It's comments like that which makes players short of confidence. Poor Berra, Kingston and Thomson. Stop slagging the players. :rolleyes:

Goalkeeper

Right Back

Striker

We have signed Obua and will probably sign Tullberg, so another 3 players for the above positions, would leave me confident of a good season ahead.:)

I'm not sure we need anyone. We just need to develop a few of the players we have. Lack of management over last 2 years has allowed some to stagnate. Players look fitter already( even Nade looked in good shape at the break). We just need our FBs and wingers to improve their crossing and have a striker or 2 in the middle to meet crosses. Mole was good yesterday but he was a bit reticent about getting into the box.

I would be delighted if we ended up with a new striker (Tullberg), someone to play in the hole who will score goals, a right back who knows what a football is and where to pass it and possibly a 'keeper.

Inclkuding Obua we should get third.

Charlie-Brown

We will be lucky to get 2 new players not 5 that people want, I'm sure in ideal circumstances the Motherwell fans & most other SPL team fans would also want half a dozen players to improve their teams.....but it's not realistic - there isn't the time nor money available to make massive changes to the squad with lots of players coming in and going out.

Csaba will probably have to improve on what we already have by developing many of the players to make them better & more effective.

we need at least a striker and a central defender

with the rest of the positions id be inclined to let csaba work with what he has got just now as im sure with a proper managment structure now that alote of these players are going to come on to game

Archived