Motoring offence....

Stupid Sexy Flanders

Stupid Sexy Flanders

I got stopped by the cops the other day while driving my wee sister's motor, as one of the headlights was out. This isn't the problem though, the problem is that they have asked me to hand in my licence, MOT certificate and insurance documents.

It was only when I got home and checked that I found out I have only 3rd party insurance, rather than fully comp which I thought I had. Then my wee sis helpfully told me that the MOT is due too!

So it looks like I'm in trouble. Do people reckon I should go straight in and hold my hands up, or leave it and hope (on the off chance) that they forget about it? And what kind of punishment am I looking at here (I'm assuming a fine, but how much?)

I'm kinda bricking it to be honest, I can't really afford a massive fine at the moment.

Nucky Thompson

I thought they can tell straight away if a car has an MOT and insurance by typing the registration into a computer. All the MOT's now have a bar code and are linked into a computer.

Angry Haggis
I got stopped by the cops the other day while driving my wee sister's motor, as one of the headlights was out. This isn't the problem though, the problem is that they have asked me to hand in my licence, MOT certificate and insurance documents.

It was only when I got home and checked that I found out I have only 3rd party insurance, rather than fully comp which I thought I had. Then my wee sis helpfully told me that the MOT is due too!

So it looks like I'm in trouble. Do people reckon I should go straight in and hold my hands up, or leave it and hope (on the off chance) that they forget about it? And what kind of punishment am I looking at here (I'm assuming a fine, but how much?)

I'm kinda bricking it to be honest, I can't really afford a massive fine at the moment.

Get you sis to get the MOT done pronto.

Licence - presumably you have one and all is ok there.

Insurance - does you sisters policy not allow her to let named drivers use her car with her permission? Depends on your sisters policy specifics - perhaps a wee call to her provider will tell you whats what.

Other than that I suppose honesty is the best policy!

Good luck.

Suppose if the crap hits the fan you could hire this guy...

tmcclure26fn.gif

Stupid Sexy Flanders

Insurance - does you sisters policy not allow her to let named drivers use her car with her permission? Depends on your sisters policy specifics - perhaps a wee call to her provider will tell you whats what.

Good luck.

I do have a licence yes, so that part's ok! The insurance thing, would I have to have been specifically named on her policy for it to be ok? I don't think I will have been tbh. I suppose it can't hurt to phone her provider anyway.

It depends on the age of your sis but if the driver is under 25 then almost no insurers allow someone else to drive the car unless they are named on the policy.

Good luck.

tmcclure26fn.gif

Surely he'd be better off with this guy

hutzww1.gif

D'you mean you have an insurance policy for your own motor?

If so, I'd've thought that would include an allows-you-to-drive-other-cars bit.

Maybe it depends on your age whether or not that's an automatic inclusion? Check your policy - shouldn't matter if it's 3rd party or fully comp...surely that would only become an issue in the event of an accident.

The Old Tolbooth
D'you mean you have an insurance policy for your own motor?

If so, I'd've thought that would include an allows-you-to-drive-other-cars bit.

Maybe it depends on your age whether or not that's an automatic inclusion? Check your policy - shouldn't matter if it's 3rd party or fully comp...surely that would only become an issue in the event of an accident.

If you have a fully comp policy then it allows you to drive other cars, but only third party only, and not fully comp. Your also only meant to use it in the case of an emergency and most people don't realise this.

A third party only policy does not allow you to drive other peoples cars at all mate unfortunately.

You could get your sister to call her insurance company and ask her to change it to any driver over the age of 25 and hope the police only clock the type of cover she has, and not the date it was issued :rolleyes:

davemclaren

You could get your sister to call her insurance company and ask her to change it to any driver over the age of 25 and hope the police only clock the type of cover she has, and not the date it was issued :rolleyes:

PC Plod might not be the brightest but..... :P

jamboboetjie

Best to own up,they MIGHT reduce fine etc,

We overlooked renewing our insurance last year and were fined ?250 & 6 Points

We had been told to expect a heavier penalty

good luck mate,things will work out.

Ray Winstone
I do have a licence yes, so that part's ok! The insurance thing, would I have to have been specifically named on her policy for it to be ok? I don't think I will have been tbh. I suppose it can't hurt to phone her provider anyway.

Do you have your own car with your own insurance policy?

If so you might well be covered to drive your sisters car with her permission.

The Old Tolbooth
PC Plod might not be the brightest but..... :P

You'd be surprised at how many just check cover and nothing else, especially if you manipulate it properly ;)

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Do you have your own car with your own insurance policy?

If so you might well be covered to drive your sisters car with her permission.

I do but only third party, I thought I had fully comp which, as far as I am aware, would have allowed me to drive her car no problem. (I appreciate it's my own fault for not knowing my own insurance policy!)

Stupid Sexy Flanders
If you have a fully comp policy then it allows you to drive other cars, but only third party only, and not fully comp. Your also only meant to use it in the case of an emergency and most people don't realise this.

A third party only policy does not allow you to drive other peoples cars at all mate unfortunately.

How do you know how old I am?! :biggrin:

That might be an idea, may be a bit risky though as if they notice that's what I've done it might make things worse. I suppose that's what it all comes down to though, do I want to try and get myself out of it, or do I just own up?

To get rid of the no insurance and mot I'd;

Go to the station, tell them you didnt have a license then get rid of the other two charges through a plead bargain.

Ray Winstone
I do but only third party, I thought I had fully comp which, as far as I am aware, would have allowed me to drive her car no problem. (I appreciate it's my own fault for not knowing my own insurance policy!)

If you only have third party on your own car then I would say you are rubber ducked.

Even if this is an innocent mistake the police tend to assume that everyone will claim that whether guilty or not.

Best to hold your hands up and take whatever the throw at you otherwise they may come back at you and charge you for failing to produce your documents.

You are just going to have to take your medicine on this one!

Jambof3tornado

Get down to alloa cop shop and hold your hands up and admit that you have ****ed up badly.

Or get down to a freindly garage pronto and get the mot sorted and ask nicely if it can be backdated(done on computer now so not sure about that). The insurance thing can be put down to a genuine error,although I am not sure how you can think you have fully comp when all you have is 3rd party!!!

Do you have any previous motoring convictions?? Do you drive with a baseball cap on??

The Old Tolbooth
How do you know how old I am?! :biggrin:

That might be an idea, may be a bit risky though as if they notice that's what I've done it might make things worse. I suppose that's what it all comes down to though, do I want to try and get myself out of it, or do I just own up?

Ha ha!! I don't, I was just guessing mate :confused:

Ron Burgundy
you prolly looking at about 3-5 years inside .....

best of luck

:) Agreed,and don't forget to pack soap on a rope.

I may be wrong but i am pretty sure they just want to see you were insured and not specifically insured to drive that car. I don't think they check your insurance against the actual car you were driving. For the MOT just tell your sister do get it done and back dated to before you were caught. I am sure plenty of garages would happily do this.

Anyone that drives a car without insurance and/or MOT deserves to have the book thrown at them, honest mistake or not. There are too many nutters on the road already.

Do The Dance
Anyone that drives a car without insurance and/or MOT deserves to have the book thrown at them, honest mistake or not. There are too many nutters on the road already.

Although I wouldn't be quite as harsh in this situation, I would agree with you.

Alloa, you should have known your own policy, and if your sister knew that the MOT was due, she should have been checking that out earlier too. Own up.

For the MOT just tell your sister do get it done and back dated to before you were caught. I am sure plenty of garages would happily do this.

It's all computerised now so thankfully this is not possible.

davemclaren

Personally, I think driving without an MOT is less of an offence than driving with no insurance. Driving a car that is unroadworthy is serious but can happen whether you have an mot or not.

It's all computerised now so thankfully this is not possible.

If that's the case why does he need to provide the MOT certificate ? Pretty sure it can be backdated to the due date.

If that's the case why does he need to provide the MOT certificate ? Pretty sure it can be backdated to the due date.

Having to produce documents at the cop shop is part of the law.

You can't backdate an MOT. You can get one done up to 30 days in advance of the curent one expiring but you can't backdate. Thankfully.

There are too many people driving with dodgy or no documentation. If the police and courts want to crack down on them then I'm 100% behind them.

Having to produce documents at the cop shop is part of the law.

You can't backdate an MOT. You can get one done up to 30 days in advance of the curent one expiring but you can't backdate. Thankfully.

There are too many people driving with dodgy or no documentation. If the police and courts want to crack down on them then I'm 100% behind them.

Not disputing that but if they already have the info on whether a motor is MOT or not why does he have to produce the document ? Fair enough when these things were not computerised that i can see the point in having to provide the certificate.

Not disputing that but if they already have the info on whether a motor is MOT or not why does he have to produce the document ? Fair enough when these things were not computerised that i can see the point in having to provide the certificate.

Getting served with a "producer" is part of the Road Traffic Act. The computerisation of MOTs post dates the RTA.

Getting served with a "producer" is part of the Road Traffic Act. The computerisation of MOTs post dates the RTA.

But the officer at the time has to decide on what he wants you to produce at your local station. He could have simply checked the MOT and asked to see his licence/Insurance. All pretty irrelevant I know but if they are not going to use the computerised system then they are wide open to fraud.

But the officer at the time has to decide on what he wants you to produce at your local station. He could have simply checked the MOT and asked to see his licence/Insurance. All pretty irrelevant I know but if they are not going to use the computerised system then they are wide open to fraud.

I'm not a cop so i don't know what type of technology they have access to when on the road. I'm simply saying that "producers" are part of the due process.

I'm not a cop so i don't know what type of technology they have access to when on the road. I'm simply saying that "producers" are part of the due process.

I think that technology is called a radio, the person at the other end of the radio would have access to a whole host of information.

Just saying what's the point in it all if its not going to be used.

sorry but i am sure no mot equals no insurance

One subtle point. When you renew your insurance there is a check that the insured vehicle has a valid MOT.

It doesn't check how long the MOT has to run, just that it's valid at the time the insurance is taken out. In theorty you could take out a year's insurance the day before your MOT runs out, then not bother getting the MOT done.

davemclaren
One subtle point. When you renew your insurance there is a check that the insured vehicle has a valid MOT.

It doesn't check how long the MOT has to run, just that it's valid at the time the insurance is taken out. In theorty you could take out a year's insurance the day before your MOT runs out, then not bother getting the MOT done.

It's interesting that Insurance companies don't have a clause stating that cover is invalid without an MOT - as far as I'm aware. :wacko:

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Get down to alloa cop shop and hold your hands up and admit that you have ****ed up badly.

Or get down to a freindly garage pronto and get the mot sorted and ask nicely if it can be backdated(done on computer now so not sure about that). The insurance thing can be put down to a genuine error,although I am not sure how you can think you have fully comp when all you have is 3rd party!!!

Do you have any previous motoring convictions?? Do you drive with a baseball cap on??

If you are asking if I am a ned or a boy racer, then the answer is no!

And yes, it is my own stupid fault for thinking I was fully comp when I was not.

It's interesting that Insurance companies don't have a clause stating that cover is invalid without an MOT - as far as I'm aware. :wacko:

They wouldn't do that. You may want to insure your vehicle while it's SORNd for instance.

davemclaren
They wouldn't do that. You may want to insure your vehicle while it's SORNd for instance.

True, but they could make that an endorsement particular period. I imagine the risks around driving cars without mots are higher than those with. :)

Miller Jambo 60
you prolly looking at about 3-5 years inside .....

best of luck

Next to Kenny Ritchey ,on that point whos gtting kennys ticket for the game today.:eek:

Anyway back to your prob.

I would come clean certainly no MOT means no insurance anyway.

So IMO the MOT issue is the big problem.

All the best mate. :sad:

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Next to Kenny Ritchey ,on that point whos gtting kennys ticket for the game today.:eek:

Anyway back to your prob.

I would come clean certainly no MOT means no insurance anyway.

So IMO the MOT issue is the big problem.

All the best mate. :sad:

Cheers Doug, I'm well worried about it, I hope all these people talking about jail terms are just kidding! (I'm sure they are though!)

deesidejambo

I didn't know the "only in emergency" bit- is that stated on the schedule or Policy documents?

Jambof3tornado

Jesting about the baseball cap bit,I am sure if you were a ned boy racer you wouldnt be giving a flying F,but you do appear concerned. It wont be a spell inside,but you may find you end up in court. Depends on the mood at the police station. I would suggest going in during the week and not at the weekedn when they are busiest and explaining that it was just a mistake. Good luck.

90 days maximum inside:)

Practice by sitting in your bedroom crying for a few weeks,and get your mates to bang on the door and screaming that theyre going to pump you....just thought Id help you out mate;)

90 days maximum inside:)

Practice by sitting in your bedroom crying for a few weeks,and get your mates to bang on the door and screaming that theyre going to pump you....just thought Id help you out mate;)

Just like being on an oil rig then. :eek:

Just like being on an oil rig then. :eek:

Ive never worked on one,im on a onshore installation...way faraway as we speak:)

Ive never worked on one,im on a onshore installation...way faraway as we speak:)

I guessed wrong then. ;)

Archived