Youngsters to make impact in Season 08/09

The Merse

Which youngsters can we expect to make the breakthrough this season and have an impact?

Eggert Jonsson cemented his place in the side for most of last season, looks like he will be a regular starter again.

Obviously Gary Glen had an impact towards the end of last season, can we expect more starts and goals from Glen?

What can we expect from Rapnik, Templeton, Kostadinov, Copil & Visconte?

Ryan Gosling

Rapnik, McGowan, Glen, Brown and maybe Templeton are my picks.

Won't see much of Visconte till after the new year.

heartsfc_fan

I'm looking forward to see this young lad Brown play. He did well when he came on against Hull. Looked a decent wee player.

Colonel Kurtz

we will have the youngest team in the spl.

What Shabba needs to find is a balance.

In midfield we need a creative player ,Eggert and Pazelusis are too similar

Up front we need a player who can hold the ball and make it stick,a fit Nade could do this or posibly Tulberg,Mole can run the channels.

I think Larry will be poty next year

Young player for me Mcgowan or Glen.

So why was there all this hype about Kostadinov and Copil being wonderkids and they havent even touched the first team yet, even in pre-season?

So why was there all this hype about Kostadinov and Copil being wonderkids and they havent even touched the first team yet, even in pre-season?

You don't hear from Hearts that Kostadinov and Copil are wonderkids - quite the opposite in fact, the club rarely bigs them or other youngsters up.

I'm sure these two lads are fine players for their age, however, I'm equally sure that we have several youngsters at the academy who are equally talented, committed and are deserving of their chance just as much, and in many cases more so than the two mentioned.

Lets not expect too much from any of our younger players, and lets leave it up to the football people to decide who and when a young players gets a first team opportunity.

I reckon Ryan McGowan, Gary Glen and Jonny Brown could break into the first team and stay and I reckon Rapnik will be involved and look good with Templeton being somewhat of a superstar sub.

Dont see Kostadinov coming through atm. Copil might get a chance at some point I reckon.

McGowan. Stand out physically and vocally any time I have seen the reserves etc.

Glen. Has lots of potential just hope he is not relied on too much too soon.

Charlie-Brown

I think we'll see quite a few given opportunities - maybe sub appearances initially if they show well in the reserves & youths etc.

Take Ryan Wallace last week for example - obviously the kid has been working away diligently and did something to impress the manager & coaching staff and he got a run out against Hull and didn't look fazed by playing against Premiership opponents, same with Johnny Brown.

Some like McGowan & Glen are further ahead than others in terms of their development & opportunities so far but there's about at least a dozen kids who stand a good chance of making it through to first team level eventually if they continue to work hard.

I'm looking forward to see this young lad Brown play. He did well when he came on against Hull. Looked a decent wee player.

Back in February i was told by a friend of his Dad that Brown was very highly rated behind the scenes and will be offered a long term contract(not noticed if it`s happened already?).

I really hope Gary Glen flourishes. He looks a genuine finisher and his general game is very good too.

jambosean75

i've only seen him the once , during the second half of the dunfermline game , but (steven)? husband really impressed me.

jamboinglasgow
Back in February i was told by a friend of his Dad that Brown was very highly rated behind the scenes and will be offered a long term contract(not noticed if it`s happened already?).

I really hope Gary Glen flourishes. He looks a genuine finisher and his general game is very good too.

Brown got a new contract same day as driver. Think Brown is the full back we need and think he will play a few games (though most coming off the bench) this season and will show he is a great player. Think he is a great prospect.

Jam Tarts 1874

I don't see many of the under 19 games, but from what I saw in the reserve games, McGowan, Kostadinov, Husband and Mackle appear to be ready for a step up.

Charlie-Brown
Mark Cowan

Cowan's an interesting player - a decent enough finisher for a young striker but is often asked to play the leading striker role and do the hold up play and compete for headers & possession with opposition centre back's & do the selfless work that is required for the team...still young, just turned 18 i think - certainly worth watching as although he isn't an obvious star every team needs strikers who can match hard graft with decent finishing when chances do occur.

Charlie-Brown

Anyway Mark Cowan will have to lead the line in the U19's this season and force his way up into more reserve appearances before he'd be considered for first team action although given his good form at the back end of last season if he continues this then it's not inconceivable he could get a wee taster from the bench at some point.

John Findlay

I have a hunch Rapnik might make a few first team appearances this season.

John

Jam Tarts 1874
I have a hunch Rapnik might make a few first team appearances this season.

John

Yes, seems to have a lot of skill (Soccer AM) for a defender. Maybe Csaba will have a look at him and see a more offensive role for him.

John Findlay
Yes, seems to have a lot of skill (Soccer AM) for a defender. Maybe Csaba will have a look at him and see a more offensive role for him.

Forget the soccer am nonsense that was just showboating and means nowt.

The guy is actually a good footballer and by that I mean he has a good footballing brain to go with his natural ability. An excellent combination in any footballer. Sadly to few get them both.

John

Charlie-Brown

Rapnik does have good feet and good reading of the game, as he is only an 18 year old centre back though he still lacks enough physical presence to impose his superior ability - at least in a first team context....still qualifies for the U19 team this season - conversely Conrad Balatoni is still only 17 and very much a traditional centre back but he is built like a bear!

Rapnik does have good feet and good reading of the game, as he is only an 18 year old centre back though he still lacks enough physical presence to impose his superior ability - at least in a first team context....still qualifies for the U19 team this season - conversely Conrad Balatoni is still only 17 and very much a traditional centre back but he is built like a bear!

Balatoni and Rapnik looked the part in the reserves.Another who played well in the reserves was A Devine.Surprised that he did not get a chance at the end of last season.

I still think Jonsson's position is up for grabs.Rate McGowan as a better midfielder than him.

Big season for Driver as well.He must start showing his best form on a more regular basis.An injury free season should see him do that though.

Jam Tarts 1874
Balatoni and Rapnik looked the part in the reserves.Another who played well in the reserves was A Devine.Surprised that he did not get a chance at the end of last season.

I still think Jonsson's position is up for grabs.Rate McGowan as a better midfielder than him.

Big season for Driver as well.He must start showing his best form on a more regular basis.An injury free season should see him do that though.

Didn't see Balatoni or Rapnik playing for the reserves during 2008, but did see Devine. Devine was typical of his age, I saw him against Celtic, he had a dredful first half, then looked great in the second half, had a similar performance against hibs too. Definately has pace and some talent, but not sure he reads the game very well.

Seems to be quite a few banging on the door then.

Glen, McGowan and Brown seem to be in pole position but heard promising reports for Rapnik, Husband and Visconte, and then theres the very young Robinson, Wallace and Balatoni.

It appears to me that Copil and Kostadinov have missed the boat and will not make the first team at Hearts.

The one im not sure about is Templeton? Never seen him personally but he didnt get glowing reports from his time at raith and he is tiny. What are kickbackers opinions on his progress?

Didn't see Balatoni or Rapnik playing for the reserves during 2008, but did see Devine. Devine was typical of his age, I saw him against Celtic, he had a dredful first half, then looked great in the second half, had a similar performance against hibs too. Definately has pace and some talent, but not sure he reads the game very well.

Devine improved like a lot of the youngsters when N McCann took over.McCann was brilliant with them coaching wise from the sides.You could see the respect he got from all the young players.Something that Murray does not get from the under 19's.

Jam Tarts 1874
Devine improved like a lot of the youngsters when N McCann took over.McCann was brilliant with them coaching wise from the sides.You could see the respect he got from all the young players.Something that Murray does not get from the under 19's.

Yes I agree, losing McCann is a big mistake. The reserve games and teams were much better when Terry got involved towards the end of the season.

Before McCann, Eddie Mearns was being used as a ball boy at Forthbank by Frail. McCann put him in the team and Mearns was a stand out - reminded me of a young Davie Bowman. Somewhere along the line since McCann left, Mearns was judged not good enough (Frail/Korobotcha decision?), I am sure Mearns will progress to SPL and I am sure that McCann will be an excellent play-maker in midfield for Yogi.

personally feel that rapnik is the natural successor to berra as the left footed centre half although a couple of seasons away yet(but will definately be a far superior player with the right coaching).

think this will be a huge season for gary glen,

but realy need to bring in a target man to complement the wee guy imo.

just for the record whats happening with scott robinson heard he's the most highly thought of youngster at riccarton???

Ryan Gosling
personally feel that rapnik is the natural successor to berra as the left footed centre half although a couple of seasons away yet(but will definately be a far superior player with the right coaching).

think this will be a huge season for gary glen,

but realy need to bring in a target man to complement the wee guy imo.

just for the record whats happening with scott robinson heard he's the most highly thought of youngster at riccarton???

Well he's still only 16 and a few months. He's got plenty time.

Well he's still only 16 and a few months. He's got plenty time.

yeah i realise that peanut,

but the rumuor is "this boys the one"!!!!

Ryan Gosling
dont you agree...(genuine question)

Agree with what? That's he's the most highly thought of youngster?

Dunno, I haven't asked everyone.

:)

easy tiger...your sarcastic comments may put ones mood in negative slight just before ones budwa(spelling?)

Ryan Gosling
easy tiger...your sarcastic comments may put ones mood in negative slight just before ones budwa(spelling?)

I still don't know what question you're asking!

I still don't know what question you're asking!

ermmmm

just wondered what you thought of the player as from what i'd taken from your posts over the last couple of years...you take in some of the youth games(could be wrong)

Ryan Gosling
ermmmm

just wondered what you thought of the player as from what i'd taken from your posts over the last couple of years...you take in some of the youth games(could be wrong)

Now we're talking.

I think he's got massive potential but it's hard to tell how good he could become mainly because he's so wee he sometimes struggles to kick the ball off the ground! He's really fast and a good finisher. Stocky wee guy too.

It shows how highly thought of he is that he was in the first team as soon as possible.

We have one youngster who nobody has ever mentioned yet. A striker who is apparently only 14 yrs old yet plays for Scotland u/17s - No not Scott Robinson nor Jamie Walker but a lad called David Smith - Anybody know anything about him?

Charlie-Brown
We have one youngster who nobody has ever mentioned yet. A striker who is apparently only 14 yrs old yet plays for Scotland u/17s - No not Scott Robinson nor Jamie Walker but a lad called David Smith - Anybody know anything about him?

Hearts don't really advertise the U17, U15 & other age groups games although you can sometimes catch them playing before / after U19 games.

Not heard anything about this kid but seeing as he is so young it's probably not wise to hype him up and just let him develop with the rest of the kids in his team.

I saw the U11 & U12 teams playing Hamilton on the pitch beside an U19 game last season - they were playing 7-a-side games and subbing players on & off - it was fascinating to see the high level of technique & game understanding those kids showed despite being so very young, most kids at that age just like to run with the ball or kick long and everybody chase after it, but this was passing, passing, passing and the players held their positions and moved into space etc. there wasn't the greedy-ness with the ball that you'd expect from young kids - they genuinely played as a team, the Hamilton kids also played the same way, it was really encouraging to see such an improvement in youth football.

Yes I agree, losing McCann is a big mistake. The reserve games and teams were much better when Terry got involved towards the end of the season.

Before McCann, Eddie Mearns was being used as a ball boy at Forthbank by Frail. McCann put him in the team and Mearns was a stand out - reminded me of a young Davie Bowman. Somewhere along the line since McCann left, Mearns was judged not good enough (Frail/Korobotcha decision?), I am sure Mearns will progress to SPL and I am sure that McCann will be an excellent play-maker in midfield for Yogi.

Mearns could benefit playing alongside Colin Cameron at Dundee.Could be the one that got away.

Charlie-Brown
Mearns could benefit playing alongside Colin Cameron at Dundee.Could be the one that got away.

Could be however I don't think he's better than those we've kept on although if he manages to get first team action with Dundee this could push him on a bit.....I liked wee Eddie though totally committed.

Could be however I don't think he's better than those we've kept on although if he manages to get first team action with Dundee this could push him on a bit.....I liked wee Eddie though totally committed.

I agree,he was not certain to make the grade but he did deserve a 2 year contract due to his performances in the reserves.When you look at the performances of Copil and Branny it makes you wonder.

jamboinglasgow

curious, I am normally pretty on the ball when checking the lists of the scottish teams for hearts players but have not noticed david smith till you pointed him out. Not even seen him in the U15 and U16 Scotland lists before so must of caught someones eye (though at one point Scott Robinson was in all three squads according to the SFA website.) I am not the most clued up about below U17 level but I'm sure someone noticed him. As NMH pointed out its best not to hype these guys up yet. Let them sneak up then let the football do the talking, remember Steven Simmons was one of the most gifted players ever to come through the hearts youth ranks then look what happened to him.

In terms of who will step up, I think pretty much the people who others have said.

As for scotty Robinson when I watched him last season he impressed me and stood out quite often in the U19 teams. Though he has great abilty, pace and awareness I would think another year at least in the U19s would not do him any harm as he is tiny (though so was Messi.) Under the development of Csaba and his system he could shine.

Also in terms of Eddie Mearns, I think as sad as it was to let Mearns go (such a dedicated player with a great art of tackling) I think in terms of number of midfield players certainly in the middle, we need to let some go. I think though the good thing about hearts academy that the players that dont make it to the senior squad will easily be picked up by other teams due to their quality. Just think that Man Utd former youth players are sought after in England and I think the same will happen with Hearts youth players in Scotland who dont make it.

Finally, again with that story about the hearts U11 after the match with killie NMH, your like a cracked record;) only kidding, as I always reply when you mention that game, I watched it too as it was a better game then the U19s one. I agree that I was impressed with the passing and technical abilty that was coming from such young players. If this is the future of Scottish footballers (as hamilton looked the same) then it bides well. Scottish football has been coming out of the wilderness for the last few years and we're going to keep getting better.

Archived