Russian tanks enter South Ossetia

Rab87

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7548715.stm

This is currently all over the 24h news channels, is it as big a story as they are making out?

Georgian President Mikhail Saakasvili, who has called on reservists to sign up for duty, said "150 Russian tanks, armoured personnel carriers and other vehicles" had entered South Ossetia.

"This is a clear intrusion on another country's territory. We have Russian tanks on our territory, jets on our territory in broad daylight," Reuters new agency quoted him as saying.

"I must also tell you that Georgian forces have downed two Russian jet fighters over Georgia's territory."

Who actually owns South Ossetia as it seems both Georgia and Russia are claming it as their own??

Live stream of Russia TV, interesting to see their perspective http://streaming.visionip.tv/Russia_Today

Ibrahim Tall

It's in Georgia and the Russians are funding the "rebels".

Relations between the two have been tense at best for years mainly due to Georgia being pro-US/NATO so this is hardly likely to help, especially if has been reported, the Russians have bombed an airbase near the capital Tbilisi.

Seems to me that the South Ossetians want independence and that the Russians are only too willing to help them.

Can't see the rest of the world bothering that much tbh...

Seems to me that the South Ossetians want independence and that the Russians are only too willing to help them.

Especially during the olympics opening ceremony.

south morocco

Stalin's father was allegedly of Ossetian descent,whilst the man himself was born in Gori,in the south ,useless info but there you are!

Mac_fae_Gillie

Watch 512 the Russia Today channel...

bias as hell but great watching how countries big themselves up.

The Georgians have shot down 2 Russian bombers and have mobilised their entire army.

This could get tasty.

maroonlegions

:rolleyes:

maybe not eh.

US President George W Bush spoke with Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin about the crisis while they attended the Beijing Olympics.:rolleyes:

Later, the US voiced support for Georgia's territorial integrity and its state department said it would send an envoy to the region.

Nato said it was seriously concerned about the situation,:eek: while German Chancellor Angela Merkel called on all sides to show restraint.

The European security organisation, the OSCE, warned that the fighting risked escalating into a full-scale war.:eek:

:rolleyes:

maybe not eh.

US President George W Bush spoke with Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin about the crisis while they attended the Beijing Olympics.:rolleyes:

Later, the US voiced support for Georgia's territorial integrity and its state department said it would send an envoy to the region.

Nato said it was seriously concerned about the situation,:eek: while German Chancellor Angela Merkel called on all sides to show restraint.

The European security organisation, the OSCE, warned that the fighting risked escalating into a full-scale war.:eek:

Sorry, let me qualify my statement.

By not bothering I mean i can't see anyone jumping in giving the Georgians handers.

The rebels may have a point after all.

south morocco

the place is a melting pot ,though the real georgians have a fierce sense of identity there are other influences ,along with the ossetians there are armenians,chechen,numerous muslim factions to contend with,it will be interesting to see it unfold

championsleaguefan

Lets hope Romanov gets a call up to the russian navy I am sure they won't let him take the fax machine on the sub.

I'll be interested to see what affect this has on next year's Eurovision Song contest. I can see Norway just sneaking it now, by a baw hair.

Archived