24 Great Hearts Players

Hearts Heritage

Hearts Heritage

See our Front Page

You can see their names here if you don't recogonise them.

Selection Criteria.

A minimum of 4 players from each 'era'

Eras defined as

1. 1874 to 1918 - Up to WW I
  2. 1919 to 1945 - Up to WW II
  3. 1946 to 1975 - Up to Formation of Premier League
  4. 1976 to Present Day - Premier League

A player to have been with the club for a minimum of 2 years. Excludes the likes of Rudi Scacel.

A player to have spent his greatest days at HMFC. Thus excluding the likes of

Harry Rennie - Gained greatest fame at Hibs after leaving Hearts

Gordon Smith Arguably the best player ever to play for Hibs. Scored hat-trick on debut vs. Hearts when a teenager. The only player to win the Scottish League with 3 different Clubs, Hibs , Hearts and Dundee.

Eammon Bannon who in between his 2 Hearts spells spent his best days at Dundee United.

200milesfromgorgie

Baird and Harkenss (had to look at the list!) look like to experiments that went wrong.

p.s. no offence to them.

scott herbertson

greta players all of them

I would have had Ian Crawford and Donald Ford before John Colquhon and Roald Jensen though I probably saw the lesser years of Jensen's time with Hearts.

Not sure about davie baird compared to some of the other greats of his day though I guess his three cups are a good argument for his inclusion

Robbos Right Peg

Not a bad list and would probably agree with Scott and I'm not sure about Willie Hamilton mercurial as he was. Perhaps it's a list that those who organise the Hall of Fame should take a look at before this years event. Although in fairness there are a good few that are already in the HoF

Arguably the greatest Scottish footballer of all-time - Dave MacKay - didnt have his best years at Hearts, unfortunately. Surely his best years were at Spurs ?

You can't leave anyone out of the 3rd row Davy.

It would be a bit easier if Cruikie was in the next row.

Cruikie back to Tynie campaign, let's get the party started!

I have been supporter for 40 years but have only seen 6 of the players. Knowing the history of the club the only one I would argue with is John Colquhoun I would have had Donald Ford instead.

I would have had Donald Ford instead.

Donald Ford should be in ahead of Craig Gordon - can't understand why he's in there at all - and Roald Jensen.

I'd replace Roald Jensen with Willie Wallace even though went on to play with the great Celtic team.

Can't understand 24 Hearts greats without Davy Holt either!:confused:

John Findlay

I would Donald Ford in there for the mere fact he was chosen to go as a member of the 1974 World Cup squad. Not bad being in the company of Bremner, Lorimer, Dalgliesh, Jordan et al.

John

The Vulture
Gordon Smith Arguably the best player ever to play for Hibs. Scored hat-trick on debut vs. Hearts when a teenager. The only player to win the Scottish League with 3 different Clubs, Hibs , Hearts and Dundee.

You learn something new every day, I knew Joe Baker scored 3 against Hearts on his debut, never knew Gordon Smith did too.

Interesting read, keep up the good work.

John Findlay
You learn something new every day, I knew Joe Baker scored 3 against Hearts on his debut, never knew Gordon Smith did too.

Interesting read, keep up the good work.

Joe Baker actually scored four. Hearts losing the Scottish Cup tie 3-4 at Tynecastle. Hibs actually got to that final in 1958 losing 1-0 to the mighty bully wee(Clyde) Baker having a goal chalked off for blatant handball. So cheating is nothing new in football.

John

Hearts Heritage

Remember the list is NOT the 24 greatest Hearts players but a selection through the ages.

Donald Ford was actually in the '3rd era' so gets excluded because they were so many great players from that era.

Taking the comments on board I'm going to expand the list to a bigger number of Hearts Greats.

I actually found it a lot harder to pick players I have seen. Should it have been Colin Cameron rather than John C?

I hope to christ JapanJambo doesn't see this Davy or you're in big trouble.

Aye, too right! Where is he, Davy...eh?...EH!?;)

Lynn...his names is Drew...:mj_zivili::ninja:

Archived