The cricket

Coco

Cracking first day for England under Pieterson.

I don't think that his will be a long reign as captain as I reckon the captaincy will affect his batting. Though it doesn't seem to have done Ricky Ponting any harm I suppose.

But great to see the team really going for South Africa. What a difference Harmison makes. Instead of the fat trundler Sidebottom, they at last bring back Harmison who scares batsmen.

Anyone going to the Scotland/England game in a week or two? Anyone think that England will regain the Ashes next year under Pieterson?

I don't think that his will be a long reign as captain as I reckon the captaincy will affect his batting. Though it doesn't seem to have done Ricky Ponting any harm I suppose.

But great to see the team really going for South Africa. What a difference Harmison makes. Instead of the fat trundler Sidebottom, they at last bring back Harmison who scares batsmen.

Anyone going to the Scotland/England game in a week or two? Anyone think that England will regain the Ashes next year under Pieterson?

Hard to say how it will go. I like the way Pieterson plays cricket, against the normal grain of English Cricket. Seems they played well yesterday all though I never caught any of it.

Will captaincy effect his batting... not sure, seems like nothing really does effect his batting... must be a shed load of pressure out in the middle against his home land so think he might do ok.

Walter Payton
Hard to say how it will go. I like the way Pieterson plays cricket, against the normal grain of English Cricket. Seems they played well yesterday all though I never caught any of it.

Will captaincy effect his batting... not sure, seems like nothing really does effect his batting... must be a shed load of pressure out in the middle against his home land so think he might do ok.

I do like Pieterson and his willingness to "have a go", but I was down at Edgebaston last week and the way he got out was crazyness and down to that ego that has proven in the past to both make him and break him at various times- IMO he's been given the captaincy in an attempt to curb the primadonna streak in him and just get him to concentrate on being the best team player that he can.

Harmison- definitely backing up his claims for a regular recall to the side, but pressureless games have never really been his problem have they? It's normally when the series is still up for grabs that Harmy seems to struggle.

I do like Pieterson and his willingness to "have a go", but I was down at Edgebaston last week and the way he got out was crazyness and down to that ego that has proven in the past to both make him and break him at various times- IMO he's been given the captaincy in an attempt to curb the primadonna streak in him and just get him to concentrate on being the best team player that he can.

Harmison- definitely backing up his claims for a regular recall to the side, but pressureless games have never really been his problem have they? It's normally when the series is still up for grabs that Harmy seems to struggle.

Would be surprised if that was the case. He's obviously a guy that has a lot of respect from the team and England selecters have admitted they dont want him to change his batting style.

Time will tell.

$ilvery_Moon

It was a very good first day but it only serves to paper over the cracks IMO. Vaughan may have been struggling with form, and I know he said he left for other reasons, but he wasn't the only one who is/was struggling. Pietersen is not a captain or a team player and IMO he will struggle in the role. I hope it doesn't affect his batting but it probably will. The bad thing is we have no choice. Collingwood has done poorly as ODI captain and should be out of the side so he was rightly not considered, and Rob Key hasn't been involved in the team for a couple of years.

The problem with English Test cricket at the moment is Peter Moores, the backroom staff, and the selectors. How have these people got away for so long doing a mediocre job, picking their old favourites, taking no responsibility, keeping a closed shop, and not giving a fair opportunity to upcoming cricketers? Why has Vaughan shouldered all the blame?

The form this summer from a number of players has been pathetic, and their are players waiting in the wings, but they pick Steve bloody Harmison? The Pattinson scenario was a joke as well.

I also disagree with your views on Sidebottom. Unlike Harmison he has some control over his bowling, he gets the ball to swing, and he can be considered for the upcoming tour of India.

Fair play to Harmison he bowled well yesterday, and he is quick and gets extra bounce, but his bowling has always been expensive and wayward. He is NOT the long term answer and the selectors have to be looking towards regaining the Ashes in a year. He can't tour because he gets "homesick", he doesn't play ODI cricket, and his attitude has always been questionable.

Collingwood's test career should be over, Strauss and Cook aren't opening well enough, Ambrose the keeper shouldn't be in the side, and Monty Panesar should be worried about his place IMO too.

Collingwood offers next to nothing as a bowler and his batting recently other than that one century has not been up to standard.

The top order looks weak and often concedes wickets far too early. Strauss especially has to improve his form and fast.

Monty Panesar must be the only spinner in world cricket with one delivery. Add to that he can't field or bat. Shane Warne has been quoted as saying he should mix up his bowling a bit but he seemingly can't do it. Adil Rashid took 7 wickets yesterday, is a very bright prospect, can bat, is a leg spinner and should definitely tour India on the sub-continent pitches.

Ambrose should be dropped as wicket keeper because he isn't safe enough with the gloves and he doesn't bat well enough. I want to see James Foster at Essex recalled who has safe hands and is in form with the bat.

Cook

Strauss

Bell

Pietersen

Shah

Flintoff

Foster (wk)

Broad

Rashid

Sidebottom

Anderson

Fringe players:

Tremlett, Bopara, Prior (wk), Panesar.

RANT OVER

I take the Welsh laddie, Jones is past it now?

He seemed a good attack bowler.

I agree that this result may well paper over the cracks though and one could argue that although England had a good day one, how up for it were the Proteas? They'd already won the series.

Still, KP is a good batsman and hopefully will be a good captain, but there is someting about him that I just don't like. Not sure if it's his cockiness, or as someone else said him being a primadonna...

I agree that this result may well paper over the cracks though and one could argue that although England had a good day one, how up for it were the Proteas? They'd already won the series.

Still, KP is a good batsman and hopefully will be a good captain, but there is someting about him that I just don't like. Not sure if it's his cockiness, or as someone else said him being a primadonna...

He is cocky but that seems to work in other countries @ cricket.

If KP fails as captain I just hope it isnt becuase he doesnt suit the 'old England' mould as imo thats whats wrong with English cricket alot of the time.

$ilvery_Moon

If Jones can stay fit he should definitely be a contender. Way ahead of the likes of Harmison.

If KP fails as captain I just hope it isnt becuase he doesnt suit the 'old England' mould as imo thats whats wrong with English cricket alot of the time.

Bang on.

I haven't seen Rashid. Nor have I seen Simon Jones since his comeback.

If neither of them make it then the bowlers for the Ashes surely have to come from Flintoff, Broad, Panesar, Anderson, Hoggard and Harmison. The Aussies will laugh at Sidebottom's trundlers.

Agree that Ambrose doesn't convince.

And the top order still looks pretty weak.

I would agree there, but KP needs to show a little more humility. For me it seems like he is all about KP and not the team (which I am no doubt wrong about - why else would he be made captain in the first place?)

Perhaps, as you say, cockiness works in other countries because the whole team is cocky and not just individual players as in Englands case.

The thing with England is that teams tend to go in cycles and at this point England are very much in a period of change. I suppose the real question is, do they have sufficient numbers of Test quality cricketers at their disposal?

And the top order still looks pretty weak.

I like the look of Cook, and I think Ian Bell is good too.

Strauss may be past his best (although on his day...)

I note there is no real wish for Vaughan to come back!

Perhaps, as you say, cockiness works in other countries because the whole team is cocky and not just individual players as in Englands case.

Read an article by KP recently where he was basically pointing out sport's generally fecked in this counrty because we don't train kids to be winners - we simply applaud participation.

Aussies and South African sportskids are honed to win, and it shows.Reckon that's where the perceived "cockiness" comes from. Wish we had a bit more of it.

Oh, and if I had KP's girlfriend, I'd be the cockiest guy in town.

Read an article by KP recently where he was basically pointing out sport's generally fecked in this counrty because we don't train kids to be winners - we simply applaud participation.

Aussies and South African sportskids are honed to win, and it shows.Reckon that's where the perceived "cockiness" comes from. Wish we had a bit more of it.

Elitism and aspiration are the paths which should be chosen by this country.

People have different levels of ability in all sorts of things. The pretence that they do not has suffocated the education system in particular.

Cricket = rounders with only 2bases.

Personally hope Engerlund get gubbed at any 'sport' the participate in.

Cricket = rounders with only 2bases and hard for half wits to understand so most dont get it..

Personally hope Engerlund get gubbed at any 'sport' the participate in.

Just completed your post as you were obviously short for time...

;)

I think KPs reign will only go 2 ways, either a total success or it will totally bomb, there aint going to be any middle ground with him! On current form he is probably the only genuine world class batter they have.

I personally think anyone was better the Vaughan, agreed that statistically he is one of the greatest ever captains, but he had the personality of a molecule!

Currently refusing to pay ?48 for a ticket for the Grange, but there are a few on ebay at around ?35 which is about the going rate for a ODI

Gets his ton, then swiftly out.

England 4 down but about 20 in front. They need to build and get a good 200 up imho.

Gets his ton, then swiftly out.

England 4 down but about 20 in front. They need to build and get a good 200 up imho.

Between now and close will be a massive session.

I think that England will.....

Collapse. all out for 304

Let's see how he gets on when he's responsible for starting a test series.

What's happening now it's lost and the pressure is off isn't all that relevant.

I not sure how it'll go. You can't deny he suffers from daft outs at crucial times, but his play to get to that position can border on the genius.

We'll need to wait and see what effect the captaincy has on his general play.

Let's see how he gets on when he's responsible for starting a test series.

What's happening now it's lost and the pressure is off isn't all that relevant.

I not sure how it'll go. You can't deny he suffers from daft outs at crucial times, but his play to get to that position can border on the genius.

We'll need to wait and see what effect the captaincy has on his general play.

If his captaincy is like his batting, then we could see some pretty attacking fields.

Forza Cuore

I Don't Like Cricket.

No....I really don't like Cricket.

(sorry that was pi55 poor humour...)

Ray Winstone

If the captaincy does start to effect KP's batting who would people see as the most likely candidate to replace him?

I thought Strauss did a good job against Pakistan and is worth a shot esspecially if he starts to regain some form with the bat.

Flintoff is a woeful captain and shouldnt even be considered IMHO!

Not convinced making KP captain is the best move

He is England's only world class batter on current form, and he already had the pressure of carrying the team before, now he also has the captaincy on top of it!

I would have made Strauss captain. Although his form ain't great, he is a very intelligent guy who has shown how strong a captain he is in the past. He is also the sort of player that being captain could inspire his batting.

I would also have Vaughan back at number 3 once he has cleared his head. No longer being captain could give him a new lease of life, and England can't afford to leave out a player of his class.

Harmison has done well, but I think he is nothing more than a short term fix, and he can't go on the ashes tour. I would bring back Jones pronto, as he is one of the few English players with pace, swing and the ability to take wickets.

My team for the Ashes would be:

Strauss

Cook

Vaughan

Pietersen

Bell

Flintoff

Foster

Sidebottom

Jones

Anderson

Panesar

Question marks would be over Foster, Sidebottom and Panesar just now. Foster has to translate his county form to internationals. Sidebottom needs to get a bit more pace if he is to become truly international class, but at the moment, Broad doesn't quite have the pace either. Panesar is too one dimensional, but I don't follow county cricket enough to know if there are any other potential spinners

Malinga the Swinga

As stated in last week's press, KP worships at the temple of Kp and is in no way a team player. From his test debut, his career has been one long self tribute and has led to him falling out with South Africa, Notts, and then his supposed best pal, Shane Warne. He is the cricket equivalent of Beckham, to a much lower degree, with the celeb wife on his arm and trendy gear he wears.

Anyway, shows the standard of English cricket when a South African is the captain.

Between now and close will be a massive session.

I think that England will.....

Collapse. all out for 304

How prophetic!

How prophetic!

Not a bad shout... was watching it out one in the cask and barrel.... so close.

But to fair, should have been around 304 with the chances Anderson etc gave.. and looking at the english tail you wouldnt expect anything better.

netherleejambo

We were down at Edgebaston last week too - where were you sitting? We were in the Stanley Barnes Stand, good seats and thankfully not beside the Barmy Army. Our first test match but not the last - liked Birmingham, good bars/restaurants by the canal and hoping to be back for the Ashes next year. If not, off to Lords or the Oval.

On todays play - I reckon SA have relaxed ever so slightly but still have the batting quality to turn it round - all depends on the weather.

Walter Payton
We were down at Edgebaston last week too - where were you sitting? We were in the Stanley Barnes Stand, good seats and thankfully not beside the Barmy Army. Our first test match but not the last - liked Birmingham, good bars/restaurants by the canal and hoping to be back for the Ashes next year. If not, off to Lords or the Oval.

On todays play - I reckon SA have relaxed ever so slightly but still have the batting quality to turn it round - all depends on the weather.

We were in the R.E.S Wyatt stand, not actually the first time I've been down to Edgebaston.

Had a bit of a tradition for years when I was growing up that my dad and I would go down for a "boys weekend" down to Headingley (where we saw some great tests, 2 that stick out being Peter Kirsten scoring a magnificent century on South Africa's first tour back after Apartheid and England collapsing in spectacular fashion against the West Indies) but that sort of stopped when I moved to Australia in 2001. I came back for a wee holiday in 2005 (surprised my mum for her 50th birthday) and managed to co-incide it with a wee trip down to Edgebaston for the Ashes- This was the test where Australia fell 3 runs short of overhauling England when they looked dead and buried, only for McGrath, Lee and Warnie to make a tail end stand.

My old man actually came out to visit me in Oz for the first time a month before I came home for good in January 07- funnily enough this coincided with the next Ashes series and we were able to get tickets for the WACA, the MCG and the SCG... good times.

The White Cockade

The standard of Test Cricket has fallen dramatically in the last 10 years

Whether it is to do with easy money or other changes i've no idea but its nothing like it was

England beat the Aussies in the Ashes about 3 years back but only because Australia have gone downhill like every other country

Used to watch the Tests back years ago in the 70's/80's when BBC showed all 5 days live - Knott, Underwood,Tony Greig, Boycott, Willis, Botham, D'Oliveira, Sobers, Holding, Roberts, Lillee, Thompson, Chappell, Border etc etc

There was an endless list of world class players

Look at what India/Pakistan had with Imran, Bedi, Abdul Quadir, Sarfraz, Zaheer, Engineer, Gavaskar, Vishwanath, Asif Iqbal

I hardly watch at all now

The standard at Test level is a joke

Maybe too much money has ruined cricket like it has other sports?

Archived