Premiership Referee suspended.

The Merse

Could be that they're concerned his debts might encourage him to accept any bung that was offered.

Could be that they're concerned his debts might encourage him to accept any bung that was offered.

Good point! Never really thought of that! He'd be as well coming up the SPL, sure the Old Firm could see him alright.

I'm sure Leginten is right and it is amazing how quickly and fairly the EFA deal with such refereeing matters compared to the stuffed shirts in Glasgow.

Possible, but I think he should feel hard done by in any case. If people could lose their jobs just because they were in debt, where would that leave most of us?

Possible, but I think he should feel hard done by in any case. If people could lose their jobs just because they were in debt, where would that leave most of us?

I agree - it seems harsh. Unless the real reason is the one D-McG referred to in the OP and Clattenburg has accumulated debt from betting on things referees are supposed to avoid.

Very wise move perhaps.

All it would take is for someone to put a rumour around, suggesting he's taken a bung due to being skint, and it could take a lot to prove the game is then 'clean'

Jambof3tornado

People CAN and do lose there jobs because of debt/bankruptcy. It aint just refs. Several police forces have policies in dealing with debt for starters.

People CAN and do lose there jobs because of debt/bankruptcy. It aint just refs. Several police forces have policies in dealing with debt for starters.

Didn't know that, Jambof3tornado, and can't say that I agree with it. There are far more ways to get at a person than through their indebtedness, but there you go.

Was at Leeds v Oldham on NYD this year and Clattenburg was the referee and he gave the best performance I have ever seen from a BITB.

There was numerous chances to blow up for soft fouls but everytime the game flowed and he was even letting a lot of hard but not dirty stuff go. None of this holding the game up to move the ball 6inches crap from him either.

I think he will be back in the middle soon enough.

I can understand that for certain jobs there may need to be a policy but given the facts so far then it does seem harsh.

Losing a job for such problems is not nice and it hardly helps the persons concerned or the debtors for that matter.

In this day and age understanding and help should be the order of the day -- lose your job, possibly family and never have the chance at another decent job are way too high a punishment.

Its a strange one all right.

When Hugh Dallas' window business went bankrupt and his house was repossessed, nothing was said and he most definitely was not suspended or anything.

Just wonder that there must be more to this than has been reported. It just seems a total overreaction to deprive a man of his now only livelihood just because his business has failed.

Was there perhaps an allegation of fraud somewhere?

Fat Striker

I used to think Clattenburg was half decent but his reputation never recovered after his abysmal performance in the Everton V Liverpool game last season, when he was ready to give Hibbert a yellow card only for ' Stevie G' to have a word and out came the red. He also denied Everton two stonewall penalties and failed to send off Kuyt for a shocker of a tackle.

He was widely condemned and rightly so.

Remnants of Standards
I used to think Clattenburg was half decent but his reputation never recovered after his abysmal performance in the Everton V Liverpool game last season, when he was ready to give Hibbert a yellow card only for ' Stevie G' to have a word and out came the red. He also denied Everton two stonewall penalties and failed to send off Kuyt for a shocker of a tackle.

He was widely condemned and rightly so.

Not condemned by me. Clattenburg is the finest ref in the Premiership end of. That game against the bitter blues was surely the pinnacle of an outstanding career. More power to your elbow sir!!!;);)

maltese jambo
Was at Leeds v Oldham on NYD this year and Clattenburg was the referee and he gave the best performance I have ever seen from a BITB.

There was numerous chances to blow up for soft fouls but everytime the game flowed and he was even letting a lot of hard but not dirty stuff go. None of this holding the game up to move the ball 6inches crap from him either.

I think he will be back in the middle soon enough.

I think as he was comming through the leagues he was very impressive and having seen him officiate quite a few years back i thought he would definatly become the top referee but it seems his performances have been pretty poor in the past couple of seasons...perhaps linked to personal problems such as these....but then again perhaps not!

It seems unfair in any profession. Indebitedness does not equate to dishonesty and it's unfair to assume that because someone is struggling for money they will steal/take bungs etc.

Jambof3tornado

Clattenburgh is dealing with his debt problems which are all out in the open,how many other refs are in debt but just managing to get by?? And who is the more likely to take a bung,one who is being closely monitored or the one that isnt.

EPL - Refs say what team they support and don't get games involving that club

SPL - McVicar says there is NO need to copy the EPL - why not?

EPL - Cup Final ref changed cos he came from Merseyside & Liverpool got to the final

SPL - McDonald (Hibs fan) given a final involving Hearts

EPL - Full time refs who get demoted to the Championship when an error is made

SPL - ?40k a year part time, managers fined ?5k even when ref admits a mistake

EPL - Slight hint of anything that can be used to question a ref's integrity - ref pulled from game

SPL - McVicar says our refs are beyond reproach and they would never do anything naughty

EPL - Top flight refs from every area of the country

SPL - If you ain't from Strathclyde forget the Grade 1 status

Archived