Edinburgh Bypass!!!!!!

lewis2006

Its took me 2 hours to get through to Dalkeith from Linlithgow this morning!!

Theres meant to be flooding at Dreghorn and they have shut the bypass going west bound now!!

Problem is I have to use it go get home after work!

Anyone have any idea when it will be uop and running again or where I would find out???

Its took me 2 hours to get through to Dalkeith from Linlithgow this morning!!

Theres meant to be flooding at Dreghorn and they have shut the bypass going west bound now!!

Problem is I have to use it go get home after work!

Anyone have any idea when it will be uop and running again or where I would find out???

No idea about the bypass, but trains are screwed too.

My train from Falkirk Grahamston to Edinburgh Waverley this morning took about 2hrs 20 mins (as opposed to usual 32 mins) because of flooding in the tunnels between Haymarket and Waverley.

Going to have a similar nightmare going home I think.

heartsfc_fan

I live about 5 mins from the by-pass so getting out my street today was a pain with all the traffic.

Seems that ALL transport is screwed at the moment. It didn't take me long to get to work in the car, but there's still 2 people to come in (it's 11am now!) One of them takes the train at Hermiston to get into town and the other drives from Loanhead...:eek:

Just a wee bit of water everything is mucked up :rolleyes:

ArmiyaRomanova

Tried to take a friend to the airport this morning - massive tailback at the Straiton junction, and I ended up going all the way round to Musselburgh, passing several other lengthy tailbacks along the way, before heading back into Edinburgh...

Needless to say my friend missed his flight (to Tokyo).

He's currently trying to get a new flight - cost around ?800.

Ouch.

Tried to take a friend to the airport this morning - massive tailback at the Stratton junction, and I ended up going all the way round to Musselburgh, passing several other lengthy tailbacks along the way, before heading back into Edinburgh...

Needless to say my friend missed his flight (to Tokyo).

He's currently trying to get a new flight - cost around ?800.

Ouch.

Thats a dull one. Im currently thinking about heading into town towards porty/leith and trying to get to granton so I can then hit Queensferry road.

Dont know if this will take ages or not but it looks like the only way of getting homw to Linlitghow.

If anyone has any other suggestions that would be appreciated.

ArmiyaRomanova
Thats a dull one. Im currently thinking about heading into town towards porty/leith and trying to get to granton so I can then hit Queensferry road.

Dont know if this will take ages or not but it looks like the only way of getting homw to Linlitghow.

I'd listen for Talk107 or other radio updates if I were you - I think I heard that there's flooding on several roads in/around Granton.

Muirhouse Parkway and Marine Drive both closed say the BBC. Looks like Ferry Road is the option for Granton.

Coming into work on the 33 this morning it had to turn back becuase the bottom part of Old Dalkieth Rd was closed (near Cameron Toll)

No idea why, presume its weather related.

portobellojambo1

You may want to take into consideration the work being done at the Portobello end of Sir Harry Lauder Road lewis2006 (the part of the bypass which runs down from Asda into Portobello), which even without the problems of flooding is causing hold ups early morning and early evening.

Traffic is mental everywhere today.

Traffic lights at Tolcross aren't working either causing mayhem.

Say What Again
You may want to take into consideration the work being done at the Portobello end of Sir Harry Lauder Road lewis2006 (the part of the bypass which runs down from Asda into Portobello), which even without the problems of flooding is causing hold ups early morning and early evening.

PJ's right lewis. I stay just 500 yards up the road from that ex-roundabout and can usually see the traffic backing up way past my window at tea time.

This morning the traffic was backed up just as far and that was only 10am. It's usually pretty dead at that time.

I think it's going to be bad whichever way you go mate but I'd definitely avoid that area.

Cheers for the suggestions guys, looks like ill just have to hope they've sorted it out by 4.30 and the bypass has re-opened! If no its gonna be another long journey.

Funny how a few days of grim weather can have this city at a stand still.

Ive been in Canada where the temp drops below minus 30 and nothing stops!

What are they actually doing at that roundabout? Another pointless "bus priority scheme?" :wacko:

Edinburgh must be the only city in Scotland that seems to be trying to actually cause congestion with every new "traffic initiative!" :(

Wonder why that is? :rolleyes:

portobellojambo1
What are they actually doing at that roundabout? Another pointless "bus priority scheme?" :wacko:

Edinburgh must be the only city in Scotland that seems to be trying to actually cause congestion with every new "traffic initiative!" :(

Same as they did with the one up at Asda (on Milton Road) Rodge. They are installing traffic lights at the roundabout at the top of Kings Road (who gives a feck that it is a roundabout with five roads adjoining it and that the sequence of traffic lights will cause chaos, these decisions are all about crazy committees spending crazy money to keep their budgets up)

Have you noticed how many extra pedestrian crossings are going in on West-East routes on the roads? Just think how many will be required in order to 'encourage' people to use the trams.

With regard to the flooded roads - it would be possible of course to engineer solutions such that the roads were never closed. But that would be too expensive and unnecessary given how unlikely true 100 year storms are. But the sort of rain in the last couple of days is nothing out of the ordinary and shows how poor the workmanship and design of the roads in Edinburgh are.

tailbacks all along Gorgie Rd and past Sighthill...took longer to get along there than from Livingston. That was 10 minutes ago.

Same as they did with the one up at Asda (on Milton Road) Rodge. They are installing traffic lights at the roundabout at the top of Kings Road (who gives a feck that it is a roundabout with five roads adjoining it and that the sequence of traffic lights will cause chaos, these decisions are all about crazy committees spending crazy money to keep their budgets up)

The aim of most transport decisions in the last 20 years in Edinburgh has been to try to accentuate congestion.

Congestion means 'solutions' are required - such as the tram line - which will cause congestion and then 'solutions' will be required - such as tram lines ...

Lots of juicy income for the consultants and the congestion creation department.

Sounds great, can't wait for THAT to get finished! :dribble::rolleyes:

They (council/Executive/whoever etc etc...) certainly don't like people driving/using roads, that's for sure! :eek:

Adi Dassler
tailbacks all along Gorgie Rd and past Sighthill...took longer to get along there than from Livingston. That was 10 minutes ago.

It took me an hour to get from Sighthill to Dalry this morning.

Had to get off the bus and walk the rest of the way to Lothian Road.

Somebody needs put up against a wall and shot for all the traffic problems in Edinburgh now.

Say What Again

Personally I think the new traffic lights at Milton Road work well.

For the record, so does my mate who stays within 200 yards of it at the end of Magdalene Drive.

Selfishly, as someone who gets the bus to work from Portobello Road to town in the morning, I'm looking forward to the buses being given priority. It might even mean I can get an extra 5 minutes in my bed as there will be bus upon bus coming up the road when I sleep walk to the stop. :)

Carl Spackler
Personally I think the new traffic lights at Milton Road work well.

For the record, so does my mate who stays within 200 yards of it at the end of Magdalene Drive.

Selfishly, as someone who gets the bus to work from Portobello Road to town in the morning, I'm looking forward to the buses being given priority. It might even mean I can get an extra 5 minutes in my bed as there will be bus upon bus coming up the road when I sleep walk to the stop. :)

I agree. I was royally p'd off when they were carrying out the work and said it wouldn't work but the fact of the matter is it does work better than the roundabout did.

Hopefully the chaos at at Seafield will be worth it too.

However!

Carrying our Gas mains upgrading at Willowbrae at the same time is mental. I dare say SGN or whoever are doing the works may be crashing on with this with or without consultation with the roads department at the council but the two should surely have been staged?

Going through Craigmillar just now is pandemonium and as somebody has already said the requirement to shut the road past Little France from Cameron Toll (presumably due to flooding) has just made things worse.

Number one priority for me in Edinburgh is to stick at least 2 lanes on either side of the Bypass. I don't know where the money for that will come from but it needs it now. Sheriffhall should be an underpass as well, I don't know why they are tickling it just now.

Left city centre around 2ish to get to Tranent.Traffic going into town tailed back from Picardy Place to Duddingston Xroads.quiet going east tho.Suspect that with all other roads blocked people are trying to get east to west via city centre.

Traffic is mental everywhere today.

Traffic lights at Tolcross aren't working either causing mayhem.

Tollcross wasnt that bad mate.. I just closed my eyes and put my foot down ;)

Archived