manager doesn't sign his own players shocker (non hmfc)

chis101

''In apportioning culpability for what unquestionably eclipses any previous European failures suffered by Rangers, few of those currently involved with the club can be regarded as blameless. Bain, handed a considerable degree of autonomy by chairman Sir David Murray in handling the club's player recruitment, cannot reflect with any satisfaction on the outcome of his transfer business so far this summer.

The failure to sign defensive reinforcements and at least one creative midfield player has proved costly. The injuries sustained by Spanish central defender Carlos Cuellar, last season's Player of the Year, and captain Barry Ferguson could not reasonably be bargained for, but their absence has brutally exposed the limitations of the current squad.'' - the scotsman

... I thought wholesome scottish managers were suposed to have full control of their transfer kitty?? :eek:

Buffalo Bill
''In apportioning culpability for what unquestionably eclipses any previous European failures suffered by Rangers, few of those currently involved with the club can be regarded as blameless. Bain, handed a considerable degree of autonomy by chairman Sir David Murray in handling the club's player recruitment, cannot reflect with any satisfaction on the outcome of his transfer business so far this summer.

The failure to sign defensive reinforcements and at least one creative midfield player has proved costly. The injuries sustained by Spanish central defender Carlos Cuellar, last season's Player of the Year, and captain Barry Ferguson could not reasonably be bargained for, but their absence has brutally exposed the limitations of the current squad.'' - the scotsman

... I thought wholesome scottish managers were suposed to have full control of their transfer kitty?? :eek:

David Murray signed Colin 'Tartan Suit' Hendry and Paul 'I've always wanted to play for Rangers even though I'm a Hearts fan' Ritchie behind Dick Advocaat's back.

Buffalo Bill

Drylaw Hearts
David Murray signed Colin 'Tartan Suit' Hendry and Paul 'I've always wanted to play for Rangers even though I'm a Hearts fan' Ritchie behind Dick Advocaat's back.

Buffalo Bill

I'm sure he also signed Allan Johnston.

Is it any coincidence that all 3 of those players had unsuccessful stints at Ibrox ?

Murray also told McLeish not to play Micheal Ball as they were due Everton another large payment if he played one more game.

Guest JamboRobbo

Buffalo Bill

Which is the perfect illustration why a chairman shouldn't sign players. Point proven. :P

scott herbertson
Which is the perfect illustration why a chairman shouldn't sign players. Point proven. :P

Trouble is we need their money, and that's their price

Guest JamboRobbo
Trouble is we need their money, and that's their price

Agreed. It's the price some clubs have to pay - just don't try and convince me it's a good thing when we do it.

Im not sure if many people would argue that owners signing players is ever a good thing.... it just winds me up that it is so casually reported when it is rangers or indeed any other team but when it's hearts its all 'tynecastle in turmoil and mad vlad*'

*although the guy is undoubtably bat s**t crazy...

Why is it a perfect illustration are you saying Paul Ritchie wasn't a good player

Guest JamboRobbo
Why is it a perfect illustration are you saying Paul Ritchie wasn't a good player

He wasn't the right player for Rangers. As was proven by his failure there.

Ritchie was good at Hearts. But for whatever reason, didn't fit in at Rangers. Exactly the sort of intangible difference a manager picks up on, but a chairman doesn't have the knowledge to tell the difference.

h-e-a-r-t-s
Agreed. It's the price some clubs have to pay - just don't try and convince me it's a good thing when we do it.

nobody has ever claimed it's a good thing.

Do you think Beckham was signed by the Real Madrid Chairman for his football ability? His transfer paid for itself in 1 year through various commercial benefits they received. That was a business transaction rather than a player signing.

No Hearts fan has ever tried to convince anyone that Romanov's meddling is a good thing. It's just a reality.

It's an increasingly common practise in football. Where a chairman has put in his millions, he wants to at least "influence" selection. Just look at QPR this week, where the manager is about to be exited due to a disagreement with the chairman/owner over a player they have just recruited on the latter's say-so.

We are no longer alone in this respect, it's just been painful being at the vanguard of this new trend over the last few years.

h-e-a-r-t-s

Ritchie was good at Hearts. But for whatever reason, didn't fit in at Rangers. Exactly the sort of intangible difference a manager picks up on, but a chairman doesn't have the knowledge to tell the difference.

Wasn't Ritchie bought and sold in the same summer without playing a game for them? It was a business transaction designed to make a small profit and at the same time rid a rival of a prized asset. It was dirty smelly business tactics.

Denny Crane

There but for the grace of David Weir

Gigolo-Aunt

All in all its a bizarre chapter for Rangers. If I remember right, the names mentioned that Murray had in the past had signed - they were under Dicky Advocate? Surprised that Smith puts up with that.

Can rememeber reading an interview with Smith at the end of last season, he made it pretty clear that a midfield creative player was top of his list. Is Smith was giving positions to Bain he felt was priority that needed beefed up - how come a midfield playmaker has not been brought in? Why have they signed so many strikers?

Things dont quite add up at Rangers at the moment.

ARF!

:o)

All in all its a bizarre chapter for Rangers. If I remember right, the names mentioned that Murray had in the past had signed - they were under Dicky Advocate? Surprised that Smith puts up with that.

Can rememeber reading an interview with Smith at the end of last season, he made it pretty clear that a midfield creative player was top of his list. Is Smith was giving positions to Bain he felt was priority that needed beefed up - how come a midfield playmaker has not been brought in? Why have they signed so many strikers?

Things dont quite add up at Rangers at the moment.

ARF!

:o)

This is where Smith f----d up he had that player in Thomas Buffell IMHO

Gigolo-Aunt
This is where Smith f----d up he had that player in Thomas Buffell IMOH

Dunno if its true, chief- but have heard that Buffell has a big playing bonus and is also reaching x amount of games that triggers another year on a contract that Rangers dont want to pay.

He was brought out of hibernation at the tail end of last year as it was a case of needs must.

There is a scale of meddling

I was always relatively comfortable with Romanov purchasing players from his own contacts until it became obvious:

1. The Kaunas route was being abused

2. Generally the players that were his signings were not suited to the SPL, were overpaid and there was no thought as to whether or not they would fit in with the team / mentality / character wise etc

3. There was no structure to the process - we didnt sign for positions we were desperate for and we often brought in a number of players for the same position over a short period of time

When it goes beyond that to an owner insisting a couple of choices or more per game were his, and substitute timings were rigged regardless of how the game was going, I dont think we can argue that Rangers - for example - are comparable, or any other team for that matter.

Buffalo Bill

BB What did you make of that Romanov mafia stuff? It seems to me from JT's "eventually winning the ECL" , we are not ever even going to win SPL, the bigot brothers always are? Mentalist seems appropriate now...

PS Saw Joe and wee Dan last week in Edinburgh, back in Dubai now.

Buffalo Bill

The reality is that Romanov is in charge and he will run Hearts as he sees fit.

What is important right now is that we have a manager who appears to have convinced Romanov that he is able enough to get on with the job without Vlad's interference.

That's not to say Vlad won't have a say in who arrives at Riccarton. But it could be enough to keep the fax machine switched off for now.

In the end, we judge players by performances: not by who signed them.

Buffalo Bill

Dunno if its true, chief- but have heard that Buffell has a big playing bonus and is also reaching x amount of games that triggers another year on a contract that Rangers dont want to pay.

He was brought out of hibernation at the tail end of last year as it was a case of needs must.

You may be right GA but i believe Buffell would have made a difference on Tuesday night and Rangers could have been looking at a 10 million pound windfall

Buffalo Bill
BB What did you make of that Romanov mafia stuff? It seems to me from JT's "eventually winning the ECL" , we are not ever even going to win SPL, the bigot brothers always are? Mentalist seems appropriate now...

PS Saw Joe and wee Dan last week in Edinburgh, back in Dubai now.

I think he's a mad as a badger's bush but I honestly don't care what he says anymore.

I'm trying just to focus on the good things right now, like our new manager and his work ethic.

All that matters to me is what happens on a Saturday. I never knew you were over!

Buffalo Bill

Sir Alex Ferguson signed Diego Forlan, a great striker, who didn't fit in at United.

He knows a thing or two about building a team, but even he can make mistakes.

Without knowing which players are signed by the Chairman / Manager, it is not fair to generalise like this.

For example, if Murray signed Gascoigne and Laudrup as well as Ritchie and Hendry, his record is 50-50.

Has anyone in the media blamed Walter Smith yet for having signed a squad made up mostly of ageing / ****e / both centre backs and centre forwards?

Stupid question, I know. The media would never dare speak ill of Uncle Wattie. It's just because he doesn't have enough money to spend. Apart from the ?9 million that he's spent so far this summer. Hmm.

Stupid Sexy Flanders

Also...

Apparently, the reason Cuellar didn't play was so that he didn't become cup-tied and therfore less valuable should Rangers be eliminated and wish to sell him to help balance the books.

Now, who's idea must that have been?

Benny Factor
You may be right GA but i believe Buffell would have made a difference on Tuesday night and Rangers could have been looking at a 10 million pound windfall

Buffel might have made a difference....

But the fact that he doesn't play for Rangers anymore might have made it a little tricky for him to do so. :P

Archived