Dodgy Kitchen Scam - Advice Needed

scottishgod

scottishgod

I would be grateful if anyone knows anything about a kitchen company in Glenrothes called "First Homes". They are apparently in an industrial estate off Stirling Road and have somewhere else in Wishaw.

My Grandparents are supposed to be having a kitchen fitted by them on Thursday and i'm worried they are getting duped. For a start they a charging ?5000 for a kitchen that must only be about 3m x 2m and only includes a new cooker and no other appliances. The salesman drove my Gran to the bank for a ?2000 deposit and they are wanting the other ?3000 on Thursday when they are supposed to start the work and not on completion of the work. My grandparents are both in their 80's and will no doubt just hand them another ?3000 when and if they walk through the door on Thursday.

I'm 300 miles away in the middle of England and i'm already raging at the whole driving to the bank for the deposit thing. I'm now wondering about coming up and telling them where to go but if anyone outhere knows if they are legit it may stop me travelling 300 miles then thumping someone.

david mcgee

First home improvements

8 Woodgate Way South

Glenrothes

KY7 4PF

Tel.01592 630930

Know nothing about them but suggest you get a couple of burly pals to oversee their work and contact trading standards, because taking old vulnerable people to the bank to get deposits sounds very iffy.

Era Macaroons
I would be grateful if anyone knows anything about a kitchen company in Glenrothes called "First Homes". They are apparently in an industrial estate off Stirling Road and have somewhere else in Wishaw.

My Grandparents are supposed to be having a kitchen fitted by them on Thursday and i'm worried they are getting duped. For a start they a charging ?5000 for a kitchen that must only be about 3m x 2m and only includes a new cooker and no other appliances. The salesman drove my Gran to the bank for a ?2000 deposit and they are wanting the other ?3000 on Thursday when they are supposed to start the work and not on completion of the work. My grandparents are both in their 80's and will no doubt just hand them another ?3000 when and if they walk through the door on Thursday.

I'm 300 miles away in the middle of England and i'm already raging at the whole driving to the bank for the deposit thing. I'm now wondering about coming up and telling them where to go but if anyone outhere knows if they are legit it may stop me travelling 300 miles then thumping someone.

The answer is in the thread title.....

You've waited two and a half years but welcome to JKB - interesting first post.:rolleyes:

?5k for a 3mx2m kitchen is a bit steep unless the worktops are diamond encrusted.

If your mum & dad can't sort it out - have you thought of picking up the phone to this company rather than jumping in a car to drive 300 miles to lamp someone ?

scottishgod
You've waited two and a half years but welcome to JKB - interesting first post.:rolleyes:

?5k for a 3mx2m kitchen is a bit steep unless the worktops are diamond encrusted.

If your mum & dad can't sort it out - have you thought of picking up the phone to this company rather than jumping in a car to drive 300 miles to lamp someone ?

Interesting yes.... I tend to read rather than post.

I did phone the place and they were all nice and happy but then anyone can be over the phone. My Mum & Dad are no longer around and my Gran is too stubborn to admit she may have got duped. My brother has just found out and went absolutely mental. This is not good as he only loses his temper once every ten years but when he does its best to be on another planet as he is the size of a bear.

I've got the number for Fife trading standards so will phone them up and see what they know if anything about this place.

scots civil war

id do the job m8,im a self employed joiner..........pm me if your interested

i hate hearing about people being ripped off regarding new kitchens and stuff

id do the whole job inc units,materials,tiling etc for less than half of that (if its not too expensive a kitchen)

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Even if it's legit, you want to be writing to the firm to flag up and complain about the fact that they've driven your gran to the cashline for money. There isn't a respectable company in Britain who'd do that, and they want their knuckles wrapped for it.

I P Knightley

Very much depends on what's included.

I got my kitchen from Magnet about 8 years ago and paid about ?5k for the units, worktop, appliances, sink & taps. None of it top of the range but our room is a bit bigger than 3mx2m - maybe 6x3 - but it didn't include stripping & fitting.

What makes it sound particularly dodgy is the lift to the bank for a 40% deposit. Iirc, we had a 10% deposit.

Any ways round, you ought to be able to haggle some kind of a discount from such suppliers; though your old folks may have signed binding contracts. A wee threat to take them to trading standards might work in your favour.

Archived