John Lennon

Walter Kidd

Walter Kidd

If you get away from him being a Beatle (which is difficult), you have to say that his solo stuff is absolute genius. His interviews showed a very intelligent man possibly tortured by leaving Julian with his estranged wife.

Even some of the Beatles stuff is genius, Day in the Life, In My Life are two of my personal favourites.

A man who said such profound things as this "We've got this gift of love, but love is like a precious plant. You can't just accept it and leave it in the cupboard or just think it's going to get on by itself. You've got to keep watering it. You've got to really look after it and nurture it"

and this

"If someone thinks that love and peace is a cliche that must have been left behind in the Sixties, that's his problem. Love and peace are eternal."

My question is this, why when my fathers generation had Lennon, why oh why did we have to get Bono and Bob Geldof???

As Ian Dury sang so wistfully, what a waste.

Lennon is someone I dont 'get'. Imagine is a total cheese fest. He's revered as some sort of demi-god. Dont get me wrong I appreciate the impact of the Beatles and his solo work, I just dont like his solo stuff. Also the way he treated women shows him to be a complete tw_at.

Just my opinion tho.

Bob Geldoff and Bono? Pair of self righteous fang-dangs!

You could have gotten Jonny Borrell and Chris Martin if you were a few years younger....dont know which is worse.

chester copperpot

Lennon was a genius. His solo stuff I liked, but he was influenced too much by Ono IMO, which kinda spoiled some of his stuff.

Didn't like the beatles that much, but appreciated what they did (of course). I think if he hadn't met Yoko Ono, he'd have been the best songwriter of all time (which some people will say he is anyway).

Sorry thats a bit vague.

Narrative Arc
Lennon is someone I dont 'get'. Imagine is a total cheese fest. He's revered as some sort of demi-god. Dont get me wrong I appreciate the impact of the Beatles and his solo work, I just dont like his solo stuff. Also the way he treated women shows him to be a complete tw_at.

Just my opinion tho.

Bob Geldoff and Bono? Pair of self righteous fang-dangs!

You could have gotten Jonny Borrell and Chris Martin if you were a few years younger....dont know which is worse.

What you said. Typical pop star hypocrite. the old cliche 'Imagine no possesions' aye sure. someone said on the telly a few weeks ago that he had an air-conditioned room in his New York home just for his fur coats. your right. Imagine the song is utter cheese.

davemclaren
If you get away from him being a Beatle (which is difficult), you have to say that his solo stuff is absolute genius. His interviews showed a very intelligent man possibly tortured by leaving Julian with his estranged wife.

Even some of the Beatles stuff is genius, Day in the Life, In My Life are two of my personal favourites.

A man who said such profound things as this "We've got this gift of love, but love is like a precious plant. You can't just accept it and leave it in the cupboard or just think it's going to get on by itself. You've got to keep watering it. You've got to really look after it and nurture it"

and this

"If someone thinks that love and peace is a cliche that must have been left behind in the Sixties, that's his problem. Love and peace are eternal."

My question is this, why when my fathers generation had Lennon, why oh why did we have to get Bono and Bob Geldof???

As Ian Dury sang so wistfully, what a waste.

Sorry, you've lost me... :wacko:

Konrad von Carstein

"Phony Beatle mania has bitten the dust"....Lennon/McArtney the Take that of their time. Yes they had some catchy tunes but FFS the Beatles and Lennon were SO overated (my opinion) its unreal. The Beatles v a multitude ofother bands at the time...they were popcorn pop at best.

What you said. Typical pop star hypocrite. the old cliche 'Imagine no possesions' aye sure. someone said on the telly a few weeks ago that he had an air-conditioned room in his New York home just for his fur coats. your right. Imagine the song is utter cheese.

Id heard that too but wasnt sure if it was true.

Tis the same with Bono and his "charity" work. Mind the U2 Ipod? Cost more than an ordinary one but came preloaded with one of his bands ****ey albums and only about 5% went to charity.

I find it hard to give a toss what some jumped up popstar says about anything. They dont live in the real world. They dont have the same problems as the rest of us and certainly dont get told what they can and cannot do like everyone else.

Cue folk like McCartney and the junkie fud Pete Docherty getting away with drug possession time and time and time again. If it was you or I we'd be in the pokey. Guaranteed. Cos they are popstars they can do what they like?

davemclaren
"Phony Beatle mania has bitten the dust"....Lennon/McArtney the Take that of their time. Yes they had some catchy tunes but FFS the Beatles and Lennon were SO overated (my opinion) its unreal. The Beatles v a multitude ofother bands at the time...they were popcorn pop at best.

I think a lot of musicians would disagree with you when it comes to what influenced them. :cool_shades:

Narrative Arc
Id heard that too but wasnt sure if it was true.

Tis the same with Bono and his "charity" work. Mind the U2 Ipod? Cost more than an ordinary one but came preloaded with one of his bands ****ey albums and only about 5% went to charity.

I find it hard to give a toss what some jumped up popstar says about anything. They dont live in the real world. They dont have the same problems as the rest of us and certainly dont get told what they can and cannot do like everyone else.

Cue folk like McCartney and the junkie fud Pete Docherty getting away with drug possession time and time and time again. If it was you or I we'd be in the pokey. Guaranteed. Cos they are popstars they can do what they like?

Bono does ma breasts in. as soon as U2 started to make money in their early days. the first thing they did was put it in a dutch bank account to save paying their taxis in Ireland. Altruistic bono. Aye sure..

Konrad von Carstein
I think a lot of musicians would disagree with you when it comes to what influenced them. :cool_shades:

Clears his throat....bolloxs....they are always quoted but c'mon the Beatles weren't that good compared to some of their peers. They were lucky in that they went stratospheric compared to their contemporaries.

davemclaren
Clears his throat....bolloxs....they are always quoted but c'mon the Beatles weren't that good compared to some of their peers. They were lucky in that they went stratospheric compared to their contemporaries.

You can fight against the tides of history and facts all you want... ;)

Narrative Arc

Sgt pepper's is pesh. sadly some folk think that is sacrilage. tough. apart from one song (a day in the life)it is brutal.

ToadKiller Dog

Seems to be cool these days amongst the NME and so called influential music folk to put down the beatles work ,but it still stands the test of time ,to call stuff like While my guitar and polythene pam etc popcorn is just daft ,they developed from a popcorn rocknroll i love you type band and clearly were of influence to there peers you just have to look at quotes from the likes of Brian Wilson (beach boys), Roger Mcguinn (the byrds ) even Bowie and Dylan .

Even joe strummer was influenced by them his quote in "london calling " was getting at the media induced hype not there music .

Dylan is my favorite artist of that era ,but i respect the beatles as they were they experimented more than any other band you can here influences from Jamacian Ska to far east sounds in there music to me thats there lasting claim is that they moved pop music away from the sickly sweet popcorn into a more diverse area.

As for John Lennons politics i think his basic idea was good but his political outlook was a bit naive but was developing before he was murdered ,He was clearly seen as a threat by the FBI who tried there best to keep him out of the US.

Modern music would be crap without the beatles having been there.

I P Knightley

and this

He also said:

"I am the Walrus. Goo-goo-ga-joob. Goo-goo goo-ga-joob"

So where does that leave us?

Makes you think, eh?

Walter Kidd
He also said:

Makes you think, eh?

There's always one. :hobofish:

I P Knightley
There's always one. :hobofish:

And the serious point I could've made instead was that I don't think that Lennon's lyrics were the strong point of his songs.

His/their use of melody, harmony, rhythm and chord sequences was innovative & in many cases ground-breaking.

For every lyric that appears deep and meaningful, you could probably find a half dozen that are pap and nonsense. A poet he wasn't.

I don't know about the two quotes that you give, where or when they were given, but they don't appear (to me) to be deeply insightful or novel. The same kind of stuff is chucked about willy-nilly in churches & temples every week. I suppose it was a bit unusual at the time for a hedonistic rock star to trot it out.

Denny Crane
He also said:

Makes you think, eh?

The story goes that at the time, various punters were churning out articles dissecting the lyrics to each of his songs. So, "I am the walrus" was knocked out with the intention to mess up said punters' minds.

I'll need to dig out my copy from somewhere but I believe this version crops up in the "Revolution in the head" book.

Anyway.... we all shine on! :)

To be fair to the OP , he did refer to Lennons interviews, and he did come out with some pretty intelligent & profound stuff.

Not sure his bed-ins/love-ins for peace made much of a difference tho' - in the same way Bono & Gelfof (despite admirable effort ) don't seem to have made much of a difference either - except for encouraging the charity performer via Sport Aid , Comic Relief and all their tiresome offshoots.

Walter Kidd
To be fair to the OP , he did refer to Lennons interviews, and he did come out with some pretty intelligent & profound stuff.

Not sure his bed-ins/love-ins for peace made much of a difference tho' - in the same way Bono & Gelfof (despite admirable effort ) don't seem to have made much of a difference either - except for encouraging the charity performer via Sport Aid , Comic Relief and all their tiresome offshoots.

I've stayed in the same hotel room in Amsterdam that he had his love in with Yoko.

Felt quite priviliged.

Anyway. Lennon's work will stand the test of time as he was shot in 1980. Whether he would have been as prolific as he was then is something we will never find out. That's why I feel for McCartney. Once Lennon was gone he never had anyone to control his massive ego and tell him his tunes were gash.

John Lennon man of the people. Much more important than your Winston Churchills, Margaret Thatchers and Tony Blairs.

And as the man above said. "We all Shine on"

Buffalo Bill

As a singer/songwriter, he was flawed and occasionally hypocritical. Some of his solo stuff was average at best and sometimes downright terrible; often lazily produced and under performed.

But he had an amazing knack of getting it right too, and some of the greatest pop music in history can be accredited to him. I think musically, his greatest strength was reaching out to people, singing about life, relationships and growing older and wiser. People could identify with that. And the tunes were good too. His political pieces were often well meaning, but how could a man who got driven about in a Rolls Royce, with a 72nd street apartment, containing a wardrobe full of fur coats preach to us about a world of “no possessions”?

As far his interviews were concerned, what I think made him such a lovable character was that he was general very charismatic, warm and funny, as well as being brutally honest and forthright.

He had a way with words, as well as music, and he expressed himself wonderfully well.

He was one off.

Buffalo Bill

Whilst understanding where you are coming from I find it hard to ideologise a man who beat his wife and was a ***** dad, preaches about no posessions whilst doing whatever the feck he wanted.

No doubt he is partly responsible for some of the music I like today and god bless him for it but thats about all I can see was good about him. The myth seems a lot more romantic than the truth.

He certainly knew when to turn on the charm but I cant help thinking that it was a front. He knew how to manipulate the media extremely well.

Anyways rant over!

A mostly brilliant musician but a turd of a human being basically. And I wouldn't completely write off McCartney's 70's output whilst praising Lennon's. Listen to 'Ram' then listen to 'Double Fantasy' and see who you feel sorry for (The best Beatle solo album is 'All Things Must Pass' anyway).

Also, if Lennon was still around he'd be every bit as uninspired and out of touch as most musicians of his generation now are.

davemclaren
A mostly brilliant musician but a turd of a human being basically. And I wouldn't completely write off McCartney's 70's output whilst praising Lennon's. Listen to 'Ram' then listen to 'Double Fantasy' and see who you feel sorry for (The best Beatle solo album is 'All Things Must Pass' anyway).

Also, if Lennon was still around he'd be every bit as uninspired and out of touch as most musicians of his generation now are.

Double Fantasy was an 80s album. :P

Buffalo Bill

I'm not sure Lennon would have still been with us now.

As well as always looking 10 years older than he really was, his body was ravaged by years of drink and drug abuse, and a later addiction to caffine.

He was like a rake in 1980. His body stood no chance against those bullets.

Although he was only 40, he was like an old man.

Buffalo Bill

My Brother- In law who is a big Beatles fan told me Lennon had relatives in Saughton(not the prison!) who he used to visit whe he was young.

Wonder if they were Jambos??;)

Buffalo Bill
My Brother- In law who is a big Beatles fan told me Lennon had relatives in Saughton(not the prison!) who he used to visit whe he was young.

Wonder if they were Jambos??;)

His uncle stayed in Murrayfield (Ormadale Terr) and he visited there every summer as a child.

His cousin stay in Balerno and Lennon stayed over night in 1964 on a Beatles' tour.

The Gorgie cinema was just one place on the Lennon/Parkes radar.

Buffalo Bill

Konrad von Carstein

The Gorgie cinema was just one place on the Lennon/Parkes radar.

The Tivoli ? (Tiv) Saw the Battle of Britain (among others)as a nipper there on a Saturday morning.

Konrad von Carstein
You can fight against the tides of history and facts all you want... ;)

Yeah I know :cool: How many of todays generation of female artists are quoting the fekking Spice Girls as an influence though. Same poop different era ;)

Well he was talking utter bollox then, but I agree Imagine is not his best

And these multitude of other bands were............???

Sgt pepper's is pesh. sadly some folk think that is sacrilage. tough. apart from one song (a day in the life)it is brutal.

So you are saying that She's leaving Home is a pish song and Lucy In The Sky, unfortunately opinions are like arseholes.........everybody has one.

Bono does ma breasts in. as soon as U2 started to make money in their early days. the first thing they did was put it in a dutch bank account to save paying their taxis in Ireland. Altruistic bono. Aye sure..

aye it costs a fortune fae Dublin tae Maynooth;)

Double Fantasy was an 80s album. :P

I know, but you know what I mean! But I'd quite happily insert 'Sometime In New York City' instead. What a pile of crap that album is.

The story goes that at the time, various punters were churning out articles dissecting the lyrics to each of his songs. So, "I am the walrus" was knocked out with the intention to mess up said punters' minds.

I'll need to dig out my copy from somewhere but I believe this version crops up in the "Revolution in the head" book.

Anyway.... we all shine on! :)

I do believe it was a reference to Lewis Carrolls The Walrus and The Carpenter in which he mistakenly thought the Walrus was the good guy, it wasn't until after The White Album was finished that he learned his mistake as in the song Glass Onion on The White Album he refers to the Walrus as being Paul and later said in an interview that it was his wee tribute to Paul, saying what a great guy he was, or so it goes anyway.

Yeah I know :cool: How many of todays generation of female artists are quoting the fekking Spice Girls as an influence though. Same poop different era ;)

Try and think before posting bollocks son

Konrad von Carstein
[/i][/b]

And these multitude of other bands were............???

As you say in a later post...opinions are like ersholes we all have one..in mine the Beatles were a band who for unquantifiable reasons had way more success than anyone else at the time. I personalley are vastly overated..by think but then what do i know...I like Journey:o

Konrad von Carstein
Maybe you should learn to spell before you open your mouth. Just a suggestion.

Err...I'm typing not speaking...mibbe you should take a chill pill....Lennon groupie or [email protected]h are you I'm undecided...

Oooooohhhhh!! Check you out! Put the handbag away dear. So he cant spell. Big deal. I take it you find the fact that other folk think Lennon wasnt all that and a bag of chips a bit hard to take? Its called debate, other folk here have put forward their opinions. Lets not resort to petty point scoring by criticising peoples spelling. Its slightly hobo-esque.

Konrad von Carstein

Oh and by the way this **** lap top of mine has a mind of its own when it comes to deciding where words and letters go...especially when I'm not reading what I'm typing! ****ING HELL it did it to me again!

Oh and by the way this **** lap top of mine has a mind of its own when it comes to deciding where words and letters go...especially when I'm not reading what I'm typing! ****ING HELL it did it to me again!

He He...unfortunately when I was dishing up tonights Indian the wife went on line with her managers head on under my guise, I know that John was flawed in many ways and I disagree with an earlier poster who said that his solo material was genius, mostly it was far from it, but I love his work and it will always be up for debate about how good The Beatles actually were, my opinion is quite clear but that is what forums like this are meant to be about, as in a debate, if everyone liked the same thing we would be well fecked.;)

Konrad von Carstein
He He...unfortunately when I was dishing up tonights Indian the wife went on line with her managers head on under my guise, I know that John was flawed in many ways and I disagree with an earlier poster who said that his solo material was genius, mostly it was far from it, but I love his work and it will always be up for debate about how good The Beatles actually were, my opinion is quite clear but that is what forums like this are meant to be about, as in a debate, if everyone liked the same thing we would be well fecked.;)

Too true...one question why were YOU dishing up the Indian?:)

Too true...one question why were YOU dishing up the Indian?:)

She buys it, I dish it up, it's not too bad a deal.:)

Narrative Arc

Tell her we all have an arsehole but not everyone has balls.

Konrad von Carstein
She buys it, I dish it up, it's not too bad a deal.:)

Sweeeeeet! ;) Hope you enjoyed it:cool:

davemclaren
I know, but you know what I mean! But I'd quite happily insert 'Sometime In New York City' instead. What a pile of crap that album is.

His first sensible solo album 'John Lennon and the Plastic Ono Band' was his best followed by 'Imagine'. I liked 'Band on the Run' but McCartney solo was generally a bit too sugary for my liking.

There are actually some good tracks on 'Sometime in New York City' but after Imagine it was downhill for John. Lost his bottle and over indulged in reverb - and drink. :rolleyes:

For all those with a passing interest in John Lennon I would recommend the book 'The Lives of John Lennon' by Albert Goldstien.

I like the Beatles, and don't mind Lennon's solo work..i'm not so sure about Yoko Ono though... ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lives_of_John_Lennon

Additionally, just finishing this of 'Lennon-The Definitive Biography' by Ray Coleman.

Interesting read, as others as mentioned, he had his flaws, but wasn't scared to sing about them though, had a knack of being brutally honest about most things during interviews.

Not that he had loads of power, but I'm sure the world would be a different place if he was still around. R.I.P John

Archived