Last seasons centre backs

Gambo

Now i am not talking about Karipidis at right back or Zaliukas/Tall in midfield.

I would rate Tall in the games he played as our best centre half last year.

The other 3 i would rate similar, they all had some decent games and they all had some poor games = 3 very average centre backs.

Yet reading on here over the last couple of weeks you get the impression that Berra is some sort of flawless superstar and Zaliukas is a mistake ridden huddie.

Yes Zaliukas has made some bloomers, but so did Karipidis and Berra(yep it did and does happen, Berra makes mistakes).

Difference is on here, Zaliukas mistakes, no matter how slight are magnified and highlighted where as someother scapegoat is found when Berra makes mistakes (Utd and M'well at home being 2 examples).

IMO i don't think there is as huge a gap in ability as some are making out and a decent partner/coach could help all 3 players. Would not lose an ounce of sleep over the loss of any of the 3, same as i would not bother if any 2 from 3 played (would rather it was 1 from 3 to play alongside a new experienced centre half though).

I realise it is all about opinions, just giving mine.

I agree. I don't think there is a huge amount of difference between Berra and Zaliukas - both are fairly decent. I think it is an area of our team that badly needs strenghtened.

Hungry Heart
Now i am not talking about Karipidis at right back or Zaliukas/Tall in midfield.

The other 3 i would rate similar, they all had some decent games and they all had some poor games = 3 very average centre backs.

Yet reading on here over the last couple of weeks you get the impression that Berra is some sort of flawless superstar and Zaliukas is a mistake ridden huddie.

Yes Zaliukas has made some bloomers, but so did Karipidis and Berra(yep it did and does happen, Berra makes mistakes).

Difference is on here, Zaliukas mistakes, no matter how slight are magnified and highlighted where as someother scapegoat is found when Berra makes mistakes (Utd and M'well at home being 2 examples).

IMO i don't think there is as huge a gap in ability as some are making out and a decent partner/coach could help all 3 players. Would not lose an ounce of sleep over the loss of any of the 3, same as i would not bother if any 2 from 3 played (would rather it was 1 from 3 to play alongside a new experienced centre half though).

Completely agree.

People are worried about Csaba's proposal about passing out from the back - and Zaliukas' name keeps on being mentioned. If I were to worry about a defender passing out it would be Berra.

Zaliukas, in my opinion, has a very decent touch and can pick out a pass. I always remember his disguised diagonal ball to McCann that eventually led to Pinilla's first goal for Hearts. The boy has vision.

I am glad that both Tall and Karipidis are away. Both were too lightweight for Scottish football.

Zaliukas is in dire need of a loan move and some decent coaching.

Berra is our only decent centre half in my opinion. We need at least one organising dominating centre half to play beside him.

Snake Plissken
I am glad that both Tall and Karipidis are away. Both were too lightweight for Scottish football.

Berra is our only decent centre half in my opinion. We need at least one organising dominating centre half to play beside him.

Probaby out of our league but Mario Yepes is currently without a club and would fit the bill nicely.

Berra is the best CH on the books at Tynecastle.

No if's and no but's.

And by some distance. Zaliukas is pish. I realise it is all about opinions, just giving mine. :)

Berra was by far our best and most reliable centre half last season. I do agree that Tall had a handfull of very good games. To my mind Berra is way ahead of Zaliukis and Karapidis. Berra has excellent pace, has good timing in the challenge and more than holds his own in the air.

He has all the attributes to make a top class centre half and if Levien was coaching him he'd already be a Scotland regular in my opinion.

Berra has recieved unfair criticism from some fans because as captain they don't think he leads as he should. That's fair enough as he is quite quiet. But if you look at his individual performances I really can't see how you can have any gripes.

I hope he stays with us for a good while yet.

inside right

No if's and no but's.

No Sives is the best centre half on the books at Tynie and Berra and Sives complement each other. Sives has been unlucky with injuries but it's about time the old partnership was reinstated.

Jam Tarts 1874

You must be the only person that thinks Tall is a lightweight player, just sums up your usual lack of knowledge. Have you ever watched Hearts?

BERRA-Young, fit, pacey, decent tackler, lefty which usually means better on the ball than righties, although on last season's performances, distribution very suspect(confidence rather than an ability problem?) . NOT a captain (yet), room for improvement - needs an "auld heid" beside him - look what Elvis did with the turncoat - keep him, nurturing and coaching could develop him into a VERY good player.

KARIPIDIS - personally I went in the huff with this guy when IMO he had 2 chances to clear in last year's opener against the wee team and that Mo'well-reject-huddie STILL scored, however, when he got a run in the team he looked decent on the ball, composed and a good passer, went off him again in St. Midden away game in April (ish) when he slept for their goal- isn't particularly suited to the rigours of Esspee-ell fitba'. If he goes, won't be gutted.

Tall - trier, pacey, Good in the air, good tackler, timing very decent, not given a decent chance by VR and again IMO could have been a very good player for Hearts, gone now so spilt milk syndrome applies.

ZALIUKAS - hot-ok/cold-murder, competitive, young, could also vastly improve, (I think) if nurtured by a seasoned pro, decent in the air, decent tackler, distribution woeful (coaching/training?), has - I've been "reliably" informed, a problem with Berra (bust up in training) needs to improve and mature mentally. MUST stop manhandling oppo players at corners/free-kicks because you can bet your bottom dollar the first to fall foul of the "new regime" will be Hearts/Zal.

RAPNIK-not seen him in the flesh but soccer am showed his ball juggling skill, so control/touch should not be an issue, apparently good in the air, fearless and another lefty. By all accounts a good prospect.

Summary - we, (AGAIN IMO) need an experienced CB to talk the laddies through games and show them the attitude, determination, blood, thunder and guts required to succeed in the SPL.

....................any advance on Russell Anderson?

Charlie-Brown
No Sives is the best centre half on the books at Tynie and Berra and Sives complement each other. Sives has been unlucky with injuries but it's about time the old partnership was reinstated.

Sives can still play and reads the game well, hopefully he can get his fitness and match fitness back up to first team level, Craig Sives is a great Hearts lad and it would be great for him personally & give the team some real Hearts identity if Sives could get back in the first team.

I hope he's given every chance, in the right circumstances Sives would be a candidate for Hearts captain in my opinion. :)

WeeToonJambo

It's interesting that you say that and proves that you should never judge a player on one performance. I saw Sives playing for Partick Thistle last year and thought that he was absolutely useless. I didn't know at the time that he had been out for a while through injury and was playing himself back in. Since then I've noticed several posters talking about how good he is so will have to reserve judgement until I've seen more of him.

That is the problem with many on here. They see a player once, decide he is useless and their only contribution to a debate is ".......(insert any name) is ****e." One of the worst players I ever saw, or so I thought at the time, was a young goalkeeper called Jim Cruickshank. He was dreadful but he was persevered with and, after a few games, showed us all what he could really do. I don't know if he would have been given the chance (on KB anyway) today.

No if's and no but's.

And by some distance. Zaliukas is pish. I realise it is all about opinions, just giving mine. :)

Agreed on both counts.

Glad to see you back fit Craig, I would love to see you get a chance in the first team this year.:)

Glad to hear it but you got our quotes mixed up. Technology eh. :P;)

Did I? ;)

Seems that in my hungover state managed to make a wee mistook.:confused:

It would be really good to see Sives come through, hopefully he will. For the immediate future, I'm in the camp that brings in an experienced defender to bring on Berra, and Sives. Depending on the oppo I quite like a centre back three with a sweeper.

It would be really good to see Sives come through, hopefully he will. For the immediate future, I'm in the camp that brings in an experienced defender to bring on Berra, and Sives. Depending on the oppo I quite like a centre back three with a sweeper.

Rapnik will be the player to breakthrough this season imo. Tall away should have meant an experienced centre half to come in, and Karipidis if he goes should mean 1 more step closer to the 1st team for Rapnik.

Balatoni also looks a good prospect.

Rapnik will be the player to breakthrough this season imo. Tall away should have meant an experienced centre half to come in, and Karipidis if he goes should mean 1 more step closer to the 1st team for Rapnik.

Balatoni also looks a good prospect.

What position does he play Gambo ?

I remember a festival cup game at tynecastle many years ago with Sives and i think Berra playing together. Both looked really good together and formed a decent partnership. Dare i say it Sives looked the better of the two.

Centre half.

Seems we have a long line of young centre half's waiting in the wings. We are screaming out for a experienced player to bring the best out in these guys. For all the great work Csaba is doing with his talking I really hope he addresses this issue. If not we will suffer IMO and the fans may well stop listening to him.

Seems we have a long line of young centre half's waiting in the wings. We are screaming out for a experienced player to bring the best out in these guys. For all the great work Csaba is doing with his talking I really hope he addresses this issue. If not we will suffer IMO and the fans may well stop listening to him.

I agree mate.

Berra needs an older head alongside him, not the rubbish Zaliukas. As you correctly state, our relatively long line of central defenders could really do with a mentor, an experienced defender to look up to, dare I say it, a Pressley figure.

I remember a festival cup game at tynecastle many years ago with Sives and i think Berra playing together. Both looked really good together and formed a decent partnership. Dare i say it Sives looked the better of the two.

You may dare to say it, had it not been for injury the pair may have been our central defence now!

I agree mate.

Berra needs an older head alongside him, not the rubbish Zaliukas. As you correctly state, our relatively long line of central defenders could really do with a mentor, an experienced defender to look up to, dare I say it, a Pressley figure.

Spot on BH, one of VR's biggest mistakes was letting Elvis leave the club. If we had a proper manager at the time I don't think Elvis would have left. We and Csaba are now left to pick up the pieces.

You may dare to say it, had it not been for injury the pair may have been our central defence now!

As long as Zaliuskas is at the club they will never be our central defence IMO.

portobellojambo1

The thing is they have (assuming Karipidis does go) left too early in relation to the coach that has come in. As football players, i.e. people who can use the ball, make it work, both Tall and Karipidis were infinitely more comfortable in those aspects than either Berra or Zaliukas.

Although it wasn't immediately obvious visually in the only friendly game I have witnessed so far, versus Glentoran, it seems, from reading what he has said, and from feedback from the other games (versus Dunfermline and in Germany) Laszlo is looking for a style which will involve playing the ball on the deck, accurately, a lot more, and it would appear we have lost the two best exponents of that, Tall and Karipidis, and converting Berra and/or Zaliukas into simialr type players could be a difficult task.

Of the two of them I see something in Berra, but more as a conventional type central defender, and I am sorry if it offends anyone, but I just do not rate Zaliukas as good enough to play for HMFC, never have, he is not in the side on merit. Nothing to do with nationaltiy, all to do with ability, if Berra was Lithuanian and Zaliukas was Scottish I would still opt for Berra, because I look past nationality and look at what they have to offer HMFC going forward.

I think we need to keep Berra there, but we need to look at someone to play alongside him, and it would seem it will have to be someone who can not only defend the box well, but is comfortable with the ball at his feet, and can get it forward accurately. Doesn't necessarily have to mean someone else coming into the club, there may be a youngster there ready and waiting to step into the role.

Archived