Romanov is frustrated by delays over main stand

Dr. Bapswent

Dr. Bapswent

http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/Romanov-is-frustrated-by-delays.4342314.jp

HEARTS majority shareholder Vladimir Romanov has expressed frustration at the lack of progress over the redevelopment of the main stand at Tynecastle Stadium, conveying dismay at the slow pace of change in Scotland compared to China.

Romanov wants to build a new, bigger main stand to increase the ground capacity to 23,000 and provide improved facilities.

If planning permission is granted by the City of Edinburgh Council, the new structure will have two tiers, and seat 10,000 people. It will include 25 hospitality suites, two members' lounges and conference and dining facilities for up to 1,000 people.

Work is expected to begin in the summer of 2009, but that timetable has yet to be confirmed.

In an interview with his club's website, Romanov was asked to give an update on the stadium development project, which is crucial to Hearts' future business plan.

"It is dragging on, the bureaucratic side of things," lamented Romanov, who was at Ibrox last night to see Rangers take on Kaunas, the Lithuanian side sponsored by one of Romanov's companies.

"When you see sporting palaces going up overnight in China and we are talking about one stand, well it's not something I want to talk about at this moment."

It is expected that the redevelopment work will take between 18 and 24 months. The cost has been estimated at ?51million, a daunting figure which should nevertheless be made more achievable this morning when a motion to convert ?12million of Hearts' existing debt into equity will be passed at an egm at Tynecastle.

In his website interview, Romanov also stated he is planning to have less involvement with team affairs at Hearts now that new manager Csaba Laszlo is at the helm.

The Hearts majority shareholder's influence on team selection has led to friction with previous managers.

However, he appeared to soften his stance when Stephen Frail was given full responsibility in January after being installed as caretaker manager. Now that a six-month search for a permanent manager is finally over, Romanov is willing to hand over control to Laszlo.

"My target is to get involved in the business of the team less and less often," he said. "I don't want to get into that. I believe that, with Csaba Laszlo in charge, this dream of not having to do things with the team can continue. So far it has been smooth sailing. There has been no problem whatsoever. Working with Csaba Laszlo is good.

"He is professional and has achieved a lot already. Hopefully he will stand the ideological pressing of those around football."

Romanov added: "Csaba Laszlo has plenty of experience working in the football world that allows him to work with me and convince me with a lot of positions where the manager wants to do it his way. He can convince me of that and I can take that on board."

Laszlo is keen to add four or five new faces over the summer but Romanov was non-committal on the possibility of additions to the squad.

Hearts have been put through their paces on a pre-season tour in Germany and Romanov is satisfied with preparations for the new season.

He said: "This time everyone is working very hard and there is no discussion as to whether the training is right or wrong as was the case previously. The lads are obviously very tired and you can see they are tired but happy with this work."

Asked if he had a message for Hearts supporters, Romanov issued a them-and-us rallying cry to get the fans behind the team this season.

"I can only apologise to the fans for this torrent of lies and slurs that they have had to withstand from outside the club," said Romanov, a persistent critic of the Scottish media.

"The fact they have withstood it and they are backing Hearts means they are very honourable and this is good for the club to have."

That is twice in interviews we have heard VR talk about how in China their stadia go up quickly compared to the bureaucratic dragging of feet in Edinburgh.

That would be because the principles of property rights and civil rights etc are just a little bit different in China than in the UK.

That is twice in interviews we have heard VR talk about how in China their stadia go up quickly compared to the bureaucratic dragging of feet in Edinburgh.

That would be because the principles of property rights and civil rights etc are just a little bit different in China than in the UK.

In China,just like in Vladland,people don't count for much.

Pants Shaton
In China,just like in Vladland,people don't count for much.

http://www.amnesty.org/en/news-and-updates/report/chinese-authorities-broken-promises-threaten-olympic-legacy-20080728

Housing rights activist Ye Guozhu continues to serve his four-year sentence for “picking quarrels and stirring up trouble” because of his opposition to the seizure and demolition of property to make way for new construction projects for next month’s Olympic Games.

Vlad, wish you were there?

"It is dragging on, the bureaucratic side of things," lamented Romanov.

According to someone on the other stand thread, it's Lopez who's responsible for the bureaucratic delays.

Archived