Mark de Vries

LarrysRightFoot

LarrysRightFoot

Whilst we all speculate about strikers from Hamilton to Riordan I was wondering what peoples opinions of Mark de Vries rejoining us would be?

I know he is 32/33 but most pople agree that we a target man (especially if Nade cant get fit/is sold and we do not sign Tullberg). I know big Mark didnt exactly rattle them in for United last season but the few times I saw him he was still a real handful and Rangers especially couldnt deal with him. He also created plenty of chances for the likes of Hunt.

Now I am not saying we must sign him but I think he could still do a job for us for at least a season.

Nope, leave him be. A success in his first period. Leave it that way.

He looked ok in some games last year, but physically he is past it.

Frankenstein Jambo.

Good signing in the first period when he was younger but he to old now and would never be fit enough. When your that tall fitness is hard to come by when you are you are younger never mind 33-34.

I think we should stay clear and leave him.

Good signing in the first period when he was younger but he to old now and would never be fit enough. When your that tall fitness is hard to come by when you are you are younger never mind 33-34.

I think we should stay clear and leave him.

How come John Robertson was short and fat then??:)

we've already got one fat b*stard striker - we don't need another !

and remember when he was with us the first time he was unable to jump more than three inches off the ground ?

he was sensational on his debut but completely useless in every game after.

let's move onwards and upwards, not backwards.

LarrysRightFoot
Players are never as good second time around. Just need to look at McCann!

One word - Robbo!

and remember when he was with us the first time he was unable to jump more than three inches off the ground ?

You must have watched different games than me then because i saw him intimidate and bully lots of teams and put in some fine performances after the hibs game.

And knowing some players who he played against that first season they all said they dreaded playing against him and much of their game plan was to nullify his threat which in turn provided space for others.

too old now though

I hope this thread is a wind up. The did well first time around, but has become as slow as Pressley. Both would be beaten in a race against a snail. :)

vladtheexhaler

Anytime I saw him last season he seemed to have a lot of fouls given against him.

Whilst we all speculate about strikers from Hamilton to Riordan I was wondering what peoples opinions of Mark de Vries rejoining us would be?

I know he is 32/33 but most pople agree that we a target man (especially if Nade cant get fit/is sold and we do not sign Tullberg). I know big Mark didnt exactly rattle them in for United last season but the few times I saw him he was still a real handful and Rangers especially couldnt deal with him. He also created plenty of chances for the likes of Hunt.

Now I am not saying we must sign him but I think he could still do a job for us for at least a season.

http://www.skysports.com/football/player/0,19754,11790_205362,00.html

Sky Sports | Football | Scottish Premier | Heart of Midlothian | Mark De Vries

Is he not with us anymore.

Ray Winstone

Obviously never watched the Braga game then.

I would not want the guy to return (too old, fitness problems), but to say he was "completely useless in every game after" is complete garbage! He scored several times against der Hun, the Chompers of Potatoes as well as the Purveyors of Pegs and bagged a crucial douible away to Sporting Braga, which got us into the UEFA Cup gfroup stages in their inaugural year.

Ask any SPL centre back of the time and they will all say the same - mark was cumbersome, slow to turn and not great in the air...but he was a nightmare to play against.

He's simply too old and past it now, although to be fair, he is still just a nuisance for defenders to deal with...even if it is simply his size thesedays.

Good servant first time round, but would be a mistake to take him back now.

One word - Robbo!

Robbo was still a youngish player when he came back, DeVries is a bit too old as is Hamilton. Other players we brought back weren't as effective as their first stint, McCann, Colquhoun and McPherson, Big Mac was probably the best of the names mentioned though.

Guest juvehearts

MDV!

can i get whatever youre on.

MDV was a sucess at hearts only because of levien's negitive tacticts that worked with playing 1 up front & hoofball to him with 'pickers' running off him.

LarrysRightFoot

Well thats that suggestion been shot down then.

I only opened the thread to guage peoples thoughts seeing as every other striker who has ever scored a goal (and some who have not) are being linked with us.

Although I personally dont think he would be a great signing (he was just a suggestion I came up with when I let my mind wander) I am surprised how against it everyone seems to especially as some seemed enthusiastic about Jim Hamilton still being able to do a job for us!

Anyway Im off with with my tail between my legs.

MDV - I saw him either last season ( or previous season ) playing for Cowdenbeath under the name Armond One ??? a total joke :-)

I would not want the guy to return (too old, fitness problems), but to say he was "completely useless in every game after" is complete garbage!

I dare say there were some games after his debut that he played well in butI am always optomistic of a title challenge every year and all I can remember is his poor performances which far outweighed the good ones.

150/1 for the title by the way - worth a tenner I say !

MonkeyHeidHater
Obviously never watched the Braga game then.

Agreed - bit of a ledge in that away game.....

will be eternally grateful for his goals in the 5-1 hammering of the hubz and had some other good games also but was frequently injured and his technique of not moving his feet when the ball was in the air but merely to constantly foul the opposition used to drive me mad.

Think he has a fondness for Hearts and not bad mouthed us like some others have but a return would not be for me. Too old and was not the answer anyway. wish him well though unless v us

Guest JamboRobbo

Do I think De Vries is the man we should sign? No. We can do much better than that.

BUT, Is De Vries better than what we have right now. Definately.

Which illustrates how badly we need to sign a couple of half decent strikers.

Archived