Road Tax

vladtheexhaler

vladtheexhaler

I need to renew my road tax as the disk expires tomorrow. Can I do this online as the disk takes up to 5 days to arrive or do I need to visit a post office to have the new disk on the car by Friday?

you can do it online mate ,as soon as you do it the car is taxed and you receive disk a couple of days later.

I forgot all about my road tax last year. Realised about a week after it's due date. Called them, they told me to do it online and as it was within 10 days and I could prove I had applied for it all would be ok.

You need to have the tax disc on the car, even if you have applied for it if it is not displayed on the car you will be liable to be fined, or your car being turned in to tin cans.

Its an offence to not display a valid disc, so while your car would be taxed, you could still get in trouble for not displaying.

Post office would be the easiest option to be fair!

Am I the only one who thinks they've got a right feckin cheek asking for road tax in edinburgh at the moment?

Havent been home in a few weeks (cant imagined its changed much) but when I attempted to drive from Corstorphine to Abbeyhill it turned into a pilgrimage to avoid roadworks, tram works, diversions, pot holes etc etc. The state of the roads in the city is a joke. Makes me glad im hunners of miles away.

Am I the only one who thinks they've got a right feckin cheek asking for road tax in edinburgh at the moment?

Havent been home in a few weeks (cant imagined its changed much) but when I attempted to drive from Corstorphine to Abbeyhill it turned into a pilgrimage to avoid roadworks, tram works, diversions, pot holes etc etc. The state of the roads in the city is a joke. Makes me glad im hunners of miles away.

The company I work for is doing all the tram works. One of the lads on site at Shandwick place told me the other day it won't be open to traffic till 2009 and that's if they even bother to open it to traffic again.

You need to have the tax disc on the car, even if you have applied for it if it is not displayed on the car you will be liable to be fined, or your car being turned in to tin cans.

Not neccessarily, if you happen to be driving to or from a pre-booked MOT then you do not require to have a tax disc OR an MOT certificate. Spoke to the DVLA last week as i'm doing this in a few weeks - pedantic I know but i'm in the mood for an argument :P :p ;)

Miller Jambo 60
The company I work for is doing all the tram works. One of the lads on site at Shandwick place told me the other day it won't be open to traffic till 2009 and that's if they even bother to open it to traffic again.

Edinburgh is a ****ing joke now , trams are a waste of money.

We are talking billions for a tram down to hobo land.

Sure i will not they run about with macheties down there in leith.:mad:

Miller Jambo 60
Not neccessarily, if you happen to be driving to or from a pre-booked MOT then you do not require to have a tax disc OR an MOT certificate. Spoke to the DVLA last week as i'm doing this in a few weeks - pedantic I know but i'm in the mood for an argument :P :p ;)

Wrong bud you need tax

i do this every year for my tax and have spoke to the DVLA about it the way it works is you are taxed as soon as you have paid for it, you do not need to display the tax disc as you dont have it until it arrives at your house and there are no penaltys or getting in trouble from the police etc. just stick a sign on car saying tax in post.

vladtheexhaler
i do this every year for my tax and have spoke to the DVLA about it the way it works is you are taxed as soon as you have paid for it, you do not need to display the tax disc as you dont have it until it arrives at your house and there are no penaltys or getting in trouble from the police etc. just stick a sign on car saying tax in post.

Excellent, cheers.

Nucky Thompson
just stick a sign on car saying tax in post.
Copyright Del boy 1986:)

Edinburgh is a ****ing joke now , trams are a waste of money.

We are talking billions for a tram down to hobo land.

Sure i will not they run about with macheties down there in leith.:mad:

Dont take this the wrong way but are you dyslexic? I honestly have to read your posts at least several times before they make any sort of sense.

This isnt a dig just a question.

Cairneyhill Jambo

Sorry mate but from the DVLA website. two thirds down the page.

I have not received the tax disc. Can I use the vehicle without the tax disc displayed?

It is an offence to use a vehicle on a public road without displaying a valid tax disc.

http://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/application;JSESSIONID_EvlPortalApp=LQW2h4v1QkgMhZwcGn7ByHVBjdFzTv5JKyL5SBfmRtQWp2K5nwqC!1438240628!-1513638014?origin=commonquestions_en.jsp&event=bea.portal.framework.internal.portlet.event&pageid=Common+Questions&portletid=commonquestions&wfevent=paymentquns&EVENT_SUB_TYPE=FAQPF&FAQ=pay&language=en

Wrong bud you need tax

Wrong bud, call up DVLA and ask...it's on their recorded message as you call ;)

Sorry mate but from the DVLA website. two thirds down the page.

I have not received the tax disc. Can I use the vehicle without the tax disc displayed?

It is an offence to use a vehicle on a public road without displaying a valid tax disc.

http://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/application;JSESSIONID_EvlPortalApp=LQW2h4v1QkgMhZwcGn7ByHVBjdFzTv5JKyL5SBfmRtQWp2K5nwqC!1438240628!-1513638014?origin=commonquestions_en.jsp&event=bea.portal.framework.internal.portlet.event&pageid=Common+Questions&portletid=commonquestions&wfevent=paymentquns&EVENT_SUB_TYPE=FAQPF&FAQ=pay&language=en

Sorry mate just saying what i was told.

Damn right - edinburgh is a complete joke at the moment, in fact its actually beyond a joke.

As for the tax queries, the amount of folk talking rubbish about things they clearly know nothing about is always amusing lol

Just to clarify....

"Section 33 of the Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994 provides the offences of failing to display or exhibit a vehicle licence, trade licence or nil licence.

33(1) It is an offence to use or keep on a public road a vehicle in respect of which excise duty is payable (this includes vehicle licences, and trade licences) and which is not displaying the licence in the appropriate manner.

33(1A) A person is guilty of an offence if:

(a) he uses, or keeps, on a public road an exempt vehicle,

(B) the vehicle is one in respect of which regulations under this Act require a nil licence to be in force, and

© a current nil licence for that vehicle is not fixed to and exhibited on it in the manner prescribed by regulations made by the Secretary of State.

More often than not this offence is prosecuted by the Department of Transport (DVLA). The police officer submits form CLE 2/6 (or CLE 2/8) direct to the department. If other offences are involved then the police may prosecute on their behalf, but this is now quite rare, because the DVLA can demand an instant penalty without going through the Courts, and this is more practical for them than waiting for proceedings to take place, but note that as from the 1 June 2003 failing to display a vehicle / trade / nil licence is a fixed penalty offence."

Damn right - edinburgh is a complete joke at the moment, in fact its actually beyond a joke.

As for the tax queries, the amount of folk talking rubbish about things they clearly know nothing about is always amusing lol

Just to clarify....

"Section 33 of the Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994 provides the offences of failing to display or exhibit a vehicle licence, trade licence or nil licence.

33(1) It is an offence to use or keep on a public road a vehicle in respect of which excise duty is payable (this includes vehicle licences, and trade licences) and which is not displaying the licence in the appropriate manner.

33(1A) A person is guilty of an offence if:

(a) he uses, or keeps, on a public road an exempt vehicle,

(B) the vehicle is one in respect of which regulations under this Act require a nil licence to be in force, and

© a current nil licence for that vehicle is not fixed to and exhibited on it in the manner prescribed by regulations made by the Secretary of State.

More often than not this offence is prosecuted by the Department of Transport (DVLA). The police officer submits form CLE 2/6 (or CLE 2/8) direct to the department. If other offences are involved then the police may prosecute on their behalf, but this is now quite rare, because the DVLA can demand an instant penalty without going through the Courts, and this is more practical for them than waiting for proceedings to take place, but note that as from the 1 June 2003 failing to display a vehicle / trade / nil licence is a fixed penalty offence."

So just to clarify it is not actually road tax, as it is now called a vehicle licence, this is why the government rakes in vast amounts from the motorist, and why very very little is actually spent back on the roads or transport infrastructure.

vladtheexhaler

Called DVLA who confirmed that despite having renewed the tax online the police can still charge me with not displaying a disk although it would be at their discretion whether to do so or not.

I predict they will run out of money and leave it in a worse state than after a blitz

Archived