Romanov open to Laszlo's ideas

Dr. Bapswent

Dr. Bapswent

http://sport.scotsman.com/football/Hearts-owner-Romanov-open-to.4338317.jp

Published Date: 29 July 2008

By BARRY ANDERSON

VLADIMIR ROMANOV is prepared to listen to Csaba Laszlo's demands for Hearts, stressing that the manager's powers of persuasion have made for a seamless start to their relationship.

The majority shareholder, speaking for the first time about Laszlo's appointment, is already convinced his decision to recruit the former Uganda coach is correct after spending the last week at the team's pre-season training base here in Germany.

Romanov credits Laszlo with returning smiles to players' faces and formalising imaginative training schedules. He is also impressed with the Hungarian's communication skills and claimed today that Laszlo is able to convince him to do things his way.

"Csaba Laszlo has plenty of experience working in the football world that allows him to work with me and convince me with a lot of positions where the manager wants to do it his way. He can convince me of that and I can take that on board," said Romanov.

"So far it has been smooth sailing. There has been no problem whatsoever. Working with Csaba Laszlo is good. You need contact. You need to be in touch and to talk. You must not be afraid of speaking openly and clearly with one another."

Previous managers have suffered breakdowns in their relationships with Romanov, however the Russian businessman does not envisage a repeat with Laszlo. He watched the players go through their paces during the tour of Germany and believes the new manager has revitalised the squad.

"This time everyone is working very hard and there is no discussion as to whether the training is right or wrong, as was the case previously," added Romanov. "The lads are obviously very tired and you can see they are tired but happy with this work. This always keeps my heart content to see the players with smiles.

"He (Laszlo] is professional and has achieved a lot already. Hopefully he will stand the ideological pressing of those around football."

Meanwhile, Csaba Laszlo has implored his players to stop wasting energy debating refereeing decisions in the wake of Hearts' record ?40,000 SFA fine for indiscipline.

The Tynecastle manager is determined that all efforts should be focused on improving on-field performances in the coming season. Any players caught up arguing with referees, therefore, are likely to incur the Hungarian's wrath.

Laszlo said: "We must train ourselves to accept referees' decisions. At the moment we are losing a lot of energy on the pitch for nothing. We are losing that energy by talking to someone like the referee. That's why I am pushing for my players to take responsibility for themselves.

"I am saying to them, 'look at yourself and ask: 'what is my mistake?' Don't look at the coach all of the time for answers when the referee doesn't give a throw-in to your side. Accept the decision, turn your back and count to ten in your head. Then try to get the ball back and make a goal.

"The referee never changes his decisions but when you talk all the time about what he is doing then you can lose concentration. When you have lost concentration, that's when you can make a mistake in a tackle. You take a yellow card or even pick up a red one and you are out.

"Mental strength is what I want to see from the players. If they have that then it will go a long way. Football is not only about how quick you can run with your legs, it's about how your brain works. Your brain takes pictures from what you see and sends commands to your legs. You can't have a fit body without a fit mind and that is what I'm trying to tell the players right now."

What is your target for 2008-09?

My target is to get involved in the business of the team less and less often. I don't want to get into that. I believe that with Csaba Laszlo in charge this dream of not having to do things with the team can come true.

hmmm....

Guest JamboRobbo

Vlad has "this dream of not having to do things with the team". :rofl: :rofl:

Ok then, don't do things with the team. Dream achieved. Seems so simple, yet it is still just a dream?

Probably just the Hearts website making up lies and slurs though.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Another encouraging sign. However, the players are required ASAP, particularly up front.

Agreed.Sounds good.

A wee nit-pick though.While I agree,to an extent,that arguing with the ref may use up unnessesary energy you only have to look at some of the biggest,and most successful,teams in England.How many times have you seen Man Utd,Chelsea or Arsenal players about the ref for a decision?Quite a few,I would wager.

Some people would call them whinging b*******s,others would say they fought TOGETHER as a team and that's a reason,not the main one,for their success.I want to see players fight in every department on the park.If someone loses it at the ref,it shows fight.Why try and stop that?

Agreed.Sounds good.

A wee nit-pick though.While I agree,to an extent,that arguing with the ref may use up unnessesary energy you only have to look at some of the biggest,and most successful,teams in England.How many times have you seen Man Utd,Chelsea or Arsenal players about the ref for a decision?Quite a few,I would wager.

Some people would call them whinging b*******s,others would say they fought TOGETHER as a team and that's a reason,not the main one,for their success.I want to see players fight in every department on the park.If someone loses it at the ref,it shows fight.Why try and stop that?

Because it shows indicipline and has cost us points with players being sent off in the last few seasons.

I also tend to think that when Hearts players moan at the ref it does nothing to help our image within Scottish fitbaw!

Seymour M Hersh
Doesn't sound too promising on the stadium or signing front to me.

It reads like he is getting frustrated at the length of time a planning application takes in this country. This is a view shared by many not just when you are seeking to build a new stand. He doesn't appear to be suggesting it wont go ahead though when at last the application goes through.

Vlad has "this dream of not having to do things with the team". :rofl: :rofl:

Ok then, don't do things with the team. Dream achieved. Seems so simple, yet it is still just a dream?

Probably just the Hearts website making up lies and slurs though.

A lot of positives in that interview/report with a few quotes, yet you still can't help yourself. :rolleyes:

Re the article (and others) i hope the actions match the words.

Seymour M Hersh
Agreed.Sounds good.

You can also look closer to home in the weej with the ugly sisters. How often is Weir & Co in the refs face after decisions? Same with the mhanks but it appears it's ok for them and not for others. Personally I hate it and would like to see it end but as long as the OF get to do it with virtual impunity other teams are going to at least try.

Another nothing interview from Vlad. No answers to anything. Possibly, maybe, who knows, we'll see, The usual.

No change.

Guest JamboRobbo
A lot of positives in that interview/report with a few quotes, yet you still can't help yourself. :rolleyes:

Apologies, what I mean to say was

Vlad you're so great. I love you so much I'll just ignore how much utter ****e you talk.

Love, Robbo. x

that more to your liking Gambo? Able to sleep a bit easier now that I'm conforming to what you want me to think? :rolleyes:

Because it shows indicipline and has cost us points with players being sent off in the last few seasons.

I also tend to think that when Hearts players moan at the ref it does nothing to help our image within Scottish fitbaw!

I'm not advocating panelling the ref at every opportunity!

Just stating that if the team fights together it may "overflow" on a rare occasion.Nothing wrong in that,IMO.

As for our image,again I would like us to be a team that's not to be messed with.

Dr. Bapswent

:rolleyes:

rumbles1874

the fact vlad has said "My target is to get involved in the business of the team less and less often" he has finally opened his eye that he is not a manager, lets hope he sticks to it, The facted that casba is also on about indicipline lets hope he is firm with the players so that we are not funding the sfa anymore

The only thing I really get from the official website interview is that he and Csaba seem to be getting on fine.

This is positive.

No further forward on signings, new stand.

He hopes not to have to involve himself in team affairs. Not sure what is positive about that - he hasnt confirmed he wont

He suggests he wants to pursue other football projects. Not sure what is positive about that.

I like the irony of him thanking us for putting up with lies from OUTWITH the club

Interesting to hear from the bloke. Nothing particularly controversial. Nothing hugely negative. Not much positive

I'm not advocating panelling the ref at every opportunity!

Just stating that if the team fights together it may "overflow" on a rare occasion.Nothing wrong in that,IMO.

As for our image,again I would like us to be a team that's not to be messed with.

Snag is it's a principle.

Rugby is a more physical game with just as much tension but players very seldom contest a decision because if they do the consequences are immediate and detrimental to the team. The same is true in football but the consequences often take time to work through - yellow cards / points / ultimate suspensions etc.

Players must realise that the ref will NEVER change his mind and just get on with it. :mad:

Csaba goes on about the players being lazy and unhappy.Is this maybe down to the fact that they haven't got a clue what's going on most of the time?? Wait till Vlad starts his usual meddling in team affairs then he'll realise why the players are unhappy.It's time somebody in the club stood up once again (like Pressley,Hartley and Gordon did) and got this lunatic away from meddling with team affairs or preferably sent back to where he came from.

Can't trust this lunatic and never will!!:mad:

Guest JamboRobbo

He hopes not to have to involve himself in team affairs. Not sure what is positive about that - he hasnt confirmed he wont

He did confrim he wouldn't interfere anymore - 8 months ago in a similar Q&A on our official website. Now apparently, that has become just a dream. Probably all just lies and slurs of course.

uniwildcat38
http://www.heartsfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/HeartsNewsDetail/0,,10289~1353384,00.html

Vladimir Romanov looks ahead | Hearts | News | Hearts News | Hearts News

Why is there a UBIG logo at the bottom of this page on the official site? A UKIO Bankas logo makes sense as they are our sponsor, but this is the first time I can recall seeing UBIG's visuals appearing on the club site.

That interview means absolutley nothing to me. I will reserve judgement until I see progress (or lack of) on the playing and signing of players front.

That interview means absolutley nothing to me. I will reserve judgement until I see progress (or lack of) on the playing and signing of players front.

Agree entirely, it is actions that are required, and positive ones for a change!

Seems to me since Vlad "had to" get involved with football matters, we've got worse and worse. Was he concerned that we were too successful? In which case, job done, we were mince last year......

Snag is it's a principle.

Rugby is a more physical game with just as much tension but players very seldom contest a decision because if they do the consequences are immediate and detrimental to the team. The same is true in football but the consequences often take time to work through - yellow cards / points / ultimate suspensions etc.

Players must realise that the ref will NEVER change his mind and just get on with it. :mad:

Agreed.

It could be argued that a lot of the(lack of)discipline last season was down to frustration i.e. we were playing crap!So a more successful season should see the card count drop.We'll see.....hopefully!!

All the right things are being communicated to the team and the fans it seems

I have a good feeling - differently to last seaosn and dare I say it kinda same to 2005 pre season

I am aware the likelihood is gonna be that we are gonna have another poor season but what I will GAURANTEE is thay Vlad this is without any doubt last chance saloon big man

for that you have my word!

hearts_crazy

Altogether pretty encouraging TBH, if he means it of course.

I don't know why so many of you are slagging him off for this BTW, you are the same guys who have been asking for him to be more open with the fans and when he finally does it you take the pi55 and say he's making it up as he goes along. Time will tell I suppose, but personally I am getting a good feeling about the improved communication from the club.

I realise he will have to back up his words with actions, but surely coming out and actually communicating his thoughts and plans with us, the lowly fans, for the first time ever TBH, is a huge step in the right direction, no?

The only bit I had a wee snigger at was the last bit about the lies and stuff from OUTSIDE the club, pot, kettle, black Vlad.

Doesn't sound too promising on the stadium or signing front to me.

Colinzeal

I had heard a few weeks back that things were dragging on..... with Hearts partly to blame and the Distillers partly to blame.

We had a triage (sp) agreement between ourselves, Distillers and Council re removal of whisky vats at a set price. From what I hear - they (Diageo) (sp) are now asking for more money. Also I hear Hearts are making amendments to the plans - or at least trying to, thus delaying things with the council. Finally there is a outstanding issue re payment towards the trams to be resolved with the council.

I know I have said I expected a decision in Aug/Sept but IMHO I can see it being the tail end of the year.

Vladimir Romanov looks ahead

EXCLUSIVELY from Hearts News in Eltville, Germany

Talking exclusively to Hearts News at the team's training base in Eltville, Germany, Vladimir Romanov reveals his hopes for the new season

Are you happy with your new manager?

He is professional and has achieved a lot already. Hopefully he will stand the ideological pressing of those around football.

How do you think the squad is looking for the new season with preparations?

This time everyone is working very hard and there is no discussion as to whether the training is right or wrong as was the case previously.

The lads are obviously very tired and you can see they are tired but happy with this work.

Are you happy with the attitude?

This always keeps my heart content to see the players with smiles.

The manager has said he would like four or five new players. Do you agree with him?

I have never seen a manager who so far said he was happy with the squad and that he said he needed less than three players. If you ask the manager of Barcelona he will tell you the same thing. It is an eternal problem!

Do you think there will be new players for the start of the new season?

It's possible.

Csaba Laszlo has said he enjoys working with you. Do you feel the same about him?

So far it has been smooth sailing! There has been no problem whatsoever. Working with Csaba Laszlo is good.

What do you think the secret is to a good relationship between owner and coach?

You need contact. You need to be in touch and to talk. You must not be afraid of speaking openly and clearly with one another.

Csaba Laszlo has plenty of experience working in the football world that allows him to work with me and convince me with a lot of positions where the manager wants to do it his way. He can convince me of that and I can take that on board.

What update can you give on the new stadium?

It is dragging on at this moment in time you know, the bureaucratic side of things. It all depends on that.

Do you feel confident that there will be progress and that it will happen?

When you see sporting palaces going up over night in China and we are talking about one stand, well it's not something I want to talk about at this moment in time.

What is your target for 2008-09?

My target is to get involved in the business of the team less and less often. I don't want to get into that. I believe that with Csaba Laszlo in charge this dream of not having to do things with the team can come true.

What is your hope on the pitch in the new season?

Maybe I could finish that my dream is that if I don't need to spend so much time with Csaba now at Hearts and working successfully then maybe I will have time to work on other football projects.

And a message to the supporters?

I can only apologise to the fans for this torrent of lies and slurs that hey have had to withstand from outside the club. The fact they have withstood it and they are backing the Hearts means they are very honourable and this is good for the club to have.

If reproducing this story the source MUST be credited as heartsfc.co.uk.

The interview with Romanov scares me

"Do you think there will be new players for the start of the new season?

It's possible."

It's essential! The new stand seems doubtful and his hopes for on the pitch are not that we qualify for europe, but that he can be involved less

Lossiejambo

I have to say having put up with so many lies, false promises, slurs and just plain bad practice it is going to take more than a few words to make me trust Vlad.

Believe you me. I really really want to believe every word he says and celebrate that he has had a damascus road and experience and has now seen the light regarding how to run a club, keep out of team selection, deal with the media and respect the opinions of those around him.

However, the proof will be seen in the length of a season. I don't want to be totally cynical but i am not going to be stupid. Have we not heard all this before. IT ALWAYS SEEMS TO BE AROUND THE TIME SEASON TICKETS ARE BEING SOLD!!!

I am 100% behind the club and like Shabba but come on it will take a greater miracle than turning water into wine to see Vlad keep his hands out of team selection.

We back the team and hope for a miracle.

Do you believe Vlad has seen the light?

I have to say having put up with so many lies, false promises, slurs and just plain bad practice it is going to take more than a few words to make me trust Vlad.

Believe you me. I really really want to believe every word he says and celebrate that he has had a damascus road and experience and has now seen the light regarding how to run a club, keep out of team selection, deal with the media and respect the opinions of those around him.

However, the proof will be seen in the length of a season. I don't want to be totally cynical but i am not going to be stupid. Have we not heard all this before. IT ALWAYS SEEMS TO BE AROUND THE TIME SEASON TICKETS ARE BEING SOLD!!!

I am 100% behind the club and like Shabba but come on it will take a greater miracle than turning water into wine to see Vlad keep his hands out of team selection.

I can 100% guarantee he is his own man and will only see the Vlad way. There is no point in even hoping - he will balls up soon

marshallschunkychicken

I find the 'torrent of lies and slurs' quote quite astounding.

Good for the goose and all that.

Do you really believe that about it all being a ruse to sell more STs? I find the whole ST argument so lame. But I guess that's my opinion, and you have yours.

As you say, the proof will seen at the end of the season. Perhaps then is the best time to make comments rather than trying to pre-empt outcomes?

Some very positive stuff coming out just now however the optimism I have is cautious. If Csaba is here this time next year then that would be the first sign of promise.

Vlad is just be cute with his words I think with regards to players even he will know that we need 2 strikers asap.

Dr. Bapswent
The interview with Romanov scares me

"Do you think there will be new players for the start of the new season?

It's possible."

It's essential! The new stand seems doubtful and his hopes for on the pitch are not that we qualify for europe, but that he can be involved less

Oh come on.

He cant GUARANTEE new players, they might not be successful in getting them, and you'd agree we want the RIGHT new players, not just any ones.

So he has to say 'its possible' because anything else might not work out...and we wouldnt want people calling him a liar now would we...

Billy the Jambo

Question .Do you think there will be new players for the start of the new season .Answer .Its possible .NO vlad its not possible it is fecking imperative 2 experienced strikers is a must and a goalkeeper .Get rid of wasters like Nade ,Elliot, Beslija,Makela then we free up some money for the new players wages at least.

Dr. Bapswent
Question .Do you think there will be new players for the start of the new season .Answer .Its possible .NO vlad its not possible it is fecking imperative 2 experienced strikers is a must and a goalkeeper .Get rid of wasters like Nade ,Elliot, Beslija,Makela then we free up some money for the new players wages at least.

Sheesh, its level of importance has no bearing on how easy it is to get the right players in.

Oh come on.

He cant GUARANTEE new players, they might not be successful in getting them, and you'd agree we want the RIGHT new players, not just any ones.

So he has to say 'its possible' because anything else might not work out...and we wouldnt want people calling him a liar now would we...

There was nothing to stop Vlad explaining himself if he meant what you've just said. It will be a disaster if we don't get new players, especially strikers. I have no confidence the current squad will get anything better than mid table

Vlads message to the supporters - what a total joke, speaking of lies and slurs what about - remember the calibre of manager you promised when you sacked Burley, remember the calibre of player you promised "better than Webster and Skacel" We're still waiting, if these points aren't lies you'd better deliver quickly

Guest JamboRobbo
Vlads message to the supporters - what a total joke, the only lies and slurs have come from your mouth Vlad - remember the calibre of manager you promised when you sacked Burley, remember the calibre of player you promised "better than Webster and Skacel" We're still waiting, if these points aren't lies you'd better deliver quickly

And remember, we're to judge them in one years time. (Rodney said that 2 years ago).

And remember, we're to judge them in one years time. (Rodney said that 2 years ago).

Jambo Robbo! That's a lie and a slur.......... lol ;) Uncle Vlad will use that against you in the next round of crazy quotes to the blinkered believers

hearts_crazy
Oh come on.

True. Folk are still on about the World Cup stars we were 'promised'. If Vlad came out and said yup, we are looking to sign a couple of Strikers, a Right Back, attacking Midfielder and a goalie and we have a few names in mind, then they all turn him down, or the deals fall through, or they go elsewhere, or turn up for a trial and get injured before they kick a ball:p etc it's out with the torches and pitchforks again.

I'd like to think he is trying to sort something out on this front mind.

And if he doesn't sort anything out and we end up with no new players? What then??

"I have never seen a manager who so far said he was happy with the squad and that he said he needed less than three players. If you ask the manager of Barcelona he will tell you the same thing. It is an eternal problem!"

And if he doesn't sort anything out and we end up with no new players? What then??

Step 1 look at last season

Step 2 repeat last season

Dr. Bapswent

"I have never seen a manager who so far said he was happy with the squad and that he said he needed less than three players. If you ask the manager of Barcelona he will tell you the same thing. It is an eternal problem!"

Some people will burst into tears, stamp their feet and call 'FOUL'.

Others will judge the tea, (whoever that is) on performances.

Im not saying I dont think we need new players, but 'for example' if Obua didnt get a work permit. I wouldnt blame Vlad for not trying, or suggest he actually had no intention of getting new players in.

If no others come, id like to see a statement explaining why. But again, if they dont come, I wont automatically blame Vlad, unless I see proof stating otherwise.

I think he has the intention of giving Csaba what he wants, im just not sure what that is, or if it will be possible before the start of the season.

Archived