Subbuteo teams, what was yours?

grumpyjambo

grumpyjambo

Hearts were the first team that I had followed by Barcelona as I loved the strip and the city seemed very mysterious.

My first set was the euro 96 edition. Basically your standard subbuteo set in a different box. It had a red team and a white team i think... what looked like england and denmark?

I bought a blue team (scotland) along with the set too. So that was my first team I got.

I also had some other random teams various colours so they all played a part. I remember having Newcastle (with the 3rd kit) because it was 3rd kit I remember getting the whole team in a bargain bin when i was a kid for about 50p. ahhh good times. :)

Hearts were the first team that I had followed by Barcelona as I loved the strip and the city seemed very mysterious.

i used to have the blank teams that i had to paint and stick the numbers on. excellent cause you could make them anyone. my brother and i used to get one each when we first started and i used to jump on his players and break the legs on them. didnt last long as i had to give him my players in return, bad MUM

my first set was the '74 world cup edition which came with germany and holland,after hearts my fave team was feyenord,me and my brother had some cracking matches and some violence on the terraces as well!!

grumpyjambo
my first set was the '74 world cup edition which came with germany and holland,after hearts my fave team was feyenord,me and my brother had some cracking matches and some violence on the terraces as well!!

Me and my brother had after match violence as well!!!!

Hearts obviously, had loads of other teams but can't remember them all. My Newcastle team possibly 92' or 94' were cool with the Scottish and Newcastle blue star on the strips.

Also had a stand and a corner stand the rest of the stadium was expertly made out of lego and floodlights borrowed from my mates set. It was the bawz.

Anyone own these?

Pic10026.jpg

Anyone own these?

Pic10026.jpg

streakers hahah quality.

I build my a stadium myself aswell a combination of lego bricks, plywood, glue, parts from a model railway (dismantled a few stations) etc

Era Macaroons

Ah memories

My most prized team was Melchester Rovers, which came with one blond player , Roy Race.

roy_thumb.jpg

favourite one apart from the famous, was PSG which in painted myself also had the original cardboard ones handed down from my dad with the keepers on metal rods, they were much harder to control than thier plastic counterparts...

like others most of our games descened into violence with my brother...also remember the first time i beat my dad, he was so pi77ed off he ripped the pitch up of the floor and 22 tiny men were scaterred to the four cornes of the world....he's still smarting about it;)

I bought the Norwich team from John Menzies in the early 90s as they had a cool strip. They were one of the few teams to have their actual kit complete with sponsors. Always had a soft spot for them ever since.

I also bought Hibs/Rapid Vienna so I could beat them.

polwarthjambo

if i'd invested the money i spent on subbuteo as a nipper i'd have enough to retire to a villa in spain by now. stephen hendry had the right idea to misspend his youth with a snooker table cause the financial rewards were never going to be there with the subbuteo to be fair. I had the whole shooting match; stands, terracing, floodlights and a bit of the lego maracana on the go aswell. almost a ban for crowd trouble aswell - a few scraps that would put england fans in europe to shame, my old dear stopped just short of buying an alsation dug and a cs gas cannister to keep me and my brother apart after some games.

i usually played with the germany world cup 1990 squad, you got about four subs and a spare goalie in the pack, good thing after lothar mattheus had a nasty double leg break in a freak hoovering accident. i obviously had a bit of spare time on my hands cause they all got a number on the back and i remember klinsmann and brehme getting a blonde painted hairdo.

other than that the cameroon, monaco and norwich teams were particular favourites.

Hearts, as well as Liverpool home and away circa 83'. The away strip was the yellow one with red pinstripes. I also had Ipswich Town, though I've no idea why.

Could never find an official Hearts team (how many saturdays did I used to spend in the lower level of John Menzies!) so used Torino instead, Inter Milan became Hearts away when we changed to black and blue stripes :)

Sawdust Caesar

My granny got me a set when I was a kid in the 70s, the two teams were Wolves and Liverpool, dunno why she picked them. My auntie told her she should have got me Scottish teams so my next birthday I ended up with Motherwell. Doh!

HeartyHarry1982

The traditional red v blues that came with the box was always a favourite. Could be so many different teams (Liverpool v Everton, Aberdeen v Huns, Man U v Chelsea, etc). Unfortunately I quickly painted mine different colours.... :mad:

Reds & Blues as mentioned above.

Scotland, England (when they had the red and blue bits at the top of the shirt c.1982), Sweden (Gold/yellow with a blue cross on the front), Argentina, Partick Thistle (for some reason), Newcastle Utd, Arsenal.

It's all still up in my Mum's loft I think.

jamboinglasgow

I think the first ever teams I played with was hibs and hearts. My brother was hearts and I was hibs (this was in my stupid child period when I was half hibs, half hearts supporter due to being young and having two older brothers who supported hearts and hibs so I went down the middle. Luckly my hibs supporting brother is now a big hearts fan when he started to really follow football.)

Used to love subbuteo, played with it all the time but more collected the add-ons, so had a stand, lots of things like camera men, police, a score board etc As people have mentioned before John Menzies was the place to get these things, used to love going into that shop. One of my Dads friends even built a board to put the pitch down on, the pitch was nailed in so had no bumps so looked amazing.

However disaster hit me at the age of 8. My school had fairs where each year had a whole afternoon where each pupil in the year either sold cakes or things, did crazy things (had my palm read by a girl in the year above me) and had games. I decide to do subbeto and even brought in my huge amount of subbuteo stuff, I realised I should keep most of it in a plastic bag as it would get in the way. So I ran a fine stall and at the end of the day went to tidy up to discover to my horror the plastic bag had dissapeared. I have never found it :( either someone thought it was rubbish and binned it though I checked most bins or some B*******D stole it. If that had happened I still want to meet the person who took it as that stuff meant alot to me and was heartbroken when it had gone.

I would love to make a model of Tynecastle to put around a subbuteo pitch, that would be amazing. Anyone either tried to make a model of a proper stadium for subbuteo or has any pictures of one.

slashishere
Could never find an official Hearts team (how many saturdays did I used to spend in the lower level of John Menzies!) so used Torino instead, Inter Milan became Hearts away when we changed to black and blue stripes :)

ahh the memories!!

Miller Jambo 60
ahh the memories!!

I had about 40 teams including Hearts,Celtic, Liverpool , Scotland,Hibs,Brazil,leeds,.

Loved the game had the wee ball orange and white.:)

slashishere
favourite one apart from the famous, was PSG which in painted myself also had the original cardboard ones handed down from my dad with the keepers on metal rods, they were much harder to control than thier plastic counterparts...

like others most of our games descened into violence with my brother...also remember the first time i beat my dad, he was so pi77ed off he ripped the pitch up of the floor and 22 tiny men were scaterred to the four cornes of the world....he's still smarting about it;)

Did we ever finish a game before violence from the terracing errupted??

I highly doubt it!

I used to love this as well

Pic10422.jpg

http://www.peter-upton.co.uk/striker.htm

Miller Jambo 60
I think the first ever teams I played with was hibs and hearts. My brother was hearts and I was hibs (this was in my stupid child period when I was half hibs, half hearts supporter due to being young and having two older brothers who supported hearts and hibs so I went down the middle. Luckly my hibs supporting brother is now a big hearts fan when he started to really follow football.)

Used to love subbuteo, played with it all the time but more collected the add-ons, so had a stand, lots of things like camera men, police, a score board etc As people have mentioned before John Menzies was the place to get these things, used to love going into that shop. One of my Dads friends even built a board to put the pitch down on, the pitch was nailed in so had no bumps so looked amazing.

However disaster hit me at the age of 8. My school had fairs where each year had a whole afternoon where each pupil in the year either sold cakes or things, did crazy things (had my palm read by a girl in the year above me) and had games. I decide to do subbeto and even brought in my huge amount of subbuteo stuff, I realised I should keep most of it in a plastic bag as it would get in the way. So I ran a fine stall and at the end of the day went to tidy up to discover to my horror the plastic bag had dissapeared. I have never found it :( either someone thought it was rubbish and binned it though I checked most bins or some B*******D stole it. If that had happened I still want to meet the person who took it as that stuff meant alot to me and was heartbroken when it had gone.

I would love to make a model of Tynecastle to put around a subbuteo pitch, that would be amazing. Anyone either tried to make a model of a proper stadium for subbuteo or has any pictures of one.

Will ask my son always building things that would be up his street:)

Think the set was Hearts/Stenhousemuir/Burnley and Torino or something like that. Wish I still had the poster!

http://www.emporiobrigliadori.com/images/subbuteo_squadre.JPG

Did we ever finish a game before violence from the terracing errupted??

I highly doubt it!

I used to love this as well

Pic10422.jpg

http://www.peter-upton.co.uk/striker.htm

Genius! I had that before I had subbuteo.

Teams were Man U & Newcastle iirc. Plus I had the diving goalies. Great at the time, but Subbuteo was/is better.

Forres Jambo

I had the hearts team bought and it was hearts/stenhousemuir and metz. My original box had blackburn and southampton as the teams. Remember gettin the orange ball and also got italia 90 goals that had the italian flag running through the net! One o my mates had floodlights(flash get!) Happy days!

Think I had Blackburn and Newcastle.

Premiership one with the trophy and everything. Probably the season Blackburn won the league.

My dad still has his teams in the attic somewhere I think.

I had blackpool and eintracht frankfurt beleive it or not. my uncle had loads of subuteo gear. Stands floodlights etc. Used to turn the bedroom lights off for the floodlights to take effect

My favorites were the diamond Wales international strip from the late 70's looked brilliant and Blackburn rovers was always good.

The Marooney Meister
And why was it goalkeppers always seemed to break the easiest?

Funny, I always found the Hibs players broke the easiest ;)

Well with my brother being a hibby and me a Jambo the Hearts v Hibs games were always full of tension. I kneeled on his right winger so many times we renamed him Mickey Weir, honestly this guy had no legs left, so my brother glued his backside onto the base. He then took great delight every time wee Mickey put a goal past Cruicky. Seemed to actually improve the centre of gravity :confused:

We had every Scottish Premier League team and used to have a big chalkboard with the league table updated after every half hour game, playing out a proper full league program. Ah those were the days!

The White Cockade

started withe the old reds v blues

can remember having Barcelona and Dukla Prague later on

but the 70's was along time ago and can't remember what others

does anybody remember the special "springy" goalies?

In the summer of 1970, we had our own World Cup. You played everyone home and away during the summer holidays.

You had to phone in the results to the boy who organised it(no email or text in these days)

Teams represented were Brazil,Uruguay,England, Sweden,Peru West Germany, Italy,and Spain. You used to get sticky numbers to put on the players' backs. The Brazilians and Uruguayians had brown skin.

We even had referees and there were constant rows over the way you flicked the players. Some people pinged them using your thumb and first finger, others shuffed the players using a horizontal first finger.

The goal used to fall over and you couldn't tell if the ball had gone in or not. The pitch was just a thin sheet of green felt and it kept getting ruffled when you put your hand on it.

You were supposed to be able to swerve the ball by flicking the outside of the players' base. The other farce was 'offside and onside flicks' where players got flicked en masse to catch the other team offside.

Apart from all these problems, it was much better than the computer based tosh they have nowadays.

Archived