Laszlo to load Hearts' young guns with ammo

Dr. Bapswent

Dr. Bapswent

http://sport.scotsman.com/football/Laszlo-to-load-Hearts39-young.4333882.jp

WITH Hearts' youthful strikers requiring guidance and direction through their formative years, manager Csaba Laszlo is prepared to take matters into his own hands. He intends to perform the role of strikers' coach for his fledgling forwards to ensure the likes of Jamie Mole and Gary Glen prosper into lean, mean goal machines.

The club's pre-season tour of Germany has highlighted the fact that Laszlo indeed has a task on his hands, but never could he be accused of shirking responsibility.

Constructing a strike force worthy of the name is arguably the Hungarian's gre

ADVERTISEMENT

Click here to find out more!

atest challenge at Tynecastle. In academy products Mole and Glen, along with recently-returned Juho Makela, there lies potential waiting to be coached to fruition.

Mike Tullberg, the Danish trialist, arrived last week from Reggina hoping to supplement Hearts' attacking options with Christian Nade still some weeks away from optimum fitness.

Tullberg's muscle injury is at best ill-timed, leaving Laszlo, for now, with Makela as his senior forward at the age of 25. Mole recently turned 20, whilst Glen is just 18.

Such is the positive outlook of the manager that he will happily dirty his own hands in order to maximise the talent at his disposal. Mole and company are aware that Hearts will court more forwards before the transfer window closes, but working one-to-one with the manager would offer a unique opportunity to those already in place.

"He wants to be the strikers' coach," explained Mole. "He said he wants to bring in another coach alongside him so we can have someone working with defenders, someone else with midfielders and then he wants to coach the forwards. The manager knows what he wants from us and that's good for me as a striker. I don't see how we wouldn't benefit from that set-up. If he wants to take that role on then he'll have ideas for us and it can only help. Everyone respects him, we like him as a manager and as a man. He always knows what he wants to do."

Large portions of Laszlo's training sessions thus far have centred around forward movement and finishing, his attention to detail impressive to any onlooker. Although a midfielder in his playing days, he harbours a philosophy which focuses largely on attacking football.

"A lot of it stems from the midfield's creativity," continued Mole. "When I was at Livingston and Queen of the South on loan, all my pals were like 'how come you haven't been scoring? You used to score'. Except you can't just get the ball and score at will, you need creativity from the likes of (Andy] Driver. You need chances first. I always believe if I have a chance I'll score."

That confidence would have been severely tested during those aforementioned spells at Almondvale and Palmerston Park. Mole returned from both loan periods goalless and, plausibly, is happier being back amongst familiar surroundings. He said: "I was playing every week at Livingston but I just don't think it worked. I just never scored a goal and I don't know why. Queen of the South was just a last-minute deal and it didn't really work out.

"I'm happier now I'm back with Hearts and getting involved in pre-season. This is where I want to play every week and hopefully I can be a regular. I believe you play better amongst better players and I just want a chance this season. If I can get a goal or two it could lead to more.

"There's an opening amongst the strikers now because a few boys have left. I've played in the last couple of games and I want to stay in the team.

"I know the manager is looking to bring in a couple of players to improve competition and I reckon that would be positive."

Laszlo's striking conundrum is also not lost on those entrusted with supplying the forward line.

Ruben Palazuelos, pictured, one of Hearts' most consistent midfielders last season, detailed some consequences of an inexperienced attack.

"The defence is good, as is midfield," said the Spaniard.

"We have good players in attack but they are young boys. They have no experience. Maybe after three or four years, they will be much better. The team needs strikers now.

"Sometimes, for a midfielder, it's not possible to make the pass so I'm passing back to a central defender or full-back. This is because the strikers are not moving and it's not possible to make the pass. The long pass is no good for me. Mauricio Pinilla has gone, Nade is a good player but he's been injured.

"I think we need transfers before the season starts. Mike is here but he is also very unlucky to be injured. I like the new manager's mentality, it is similar to the Spanish mentality. In Scotland there is a lot of energy, hard work and long passes, but Csaba always has us with the ball on the ground and this is perfect for me."

Laszlo's emphasis on instilling a work ethic has made for one of the most demanding pre-seasons of recent years for Hearts players. When taking into consideration Eduard Malofeev's exhausting regimes, that could easily be construed as a negative. Except this time players are not complaining. Puggled or otherwise, they show willingness to adhere to Laszlo and faith that his methods are justified.

"I've been feeling pretty tired," said Mole. "Yesterday morning was supposed to be spent recuperating because we had a team building exercise the day before, but I felt even more tired.

"My fitness is good and I feel quite confident. You've got to be a happy squad and the team building exercises are always going to help the atmosphere and general happiness. That then carries on to the training ground and subsequently on to the pitch in a game."

Mole admitted to being a bystander as his colleagues embarked on an assault course during the team outing. "I didn't do it because I was too scared," he said in broad Geordie. "The first exercise was too much. You had to climb up about 60 feet and then walk along two wooden beams. I just couldn't do it. There was a thunderstorm coming and it was getting windy."

When more important challenges arrive, like a season-opening encounter with Motherwell, Mole stressed he will be ready.

"I don't ever think about confidence. I don't feel confidence really matters and I don't live on it. This is my biggest year yet. Every season at Hearts I've been in and out, in and out. Now I want to establish myself at first-team level."

Dirk Diggler

I know it's only words, but the players do seem to be very impressed with with Csaba has to offer.

If he manages to bring in the 3 players he's spoken about I'll be pretty content.

doctor jambo

Cripes- short passes, playing the ball on the ground, creativity in midfield

Is this what we need to finally see the best in some of our players- in particular the likes of Kostadinov, who, by all accounts is a ball to feet kind of a striker?

I like the sounds Csaba makes and hope it works out

Buffalo Bill

Mole stated: "You had to climb up about 60 feet and then walk along two wooden beams".

This reminds me of the old Main Stand at Easter Road.

Buffalo Bill

King of the North

What about Kostadinov? Is he not ready yet? Same with Copil - big things expected of these two. Any youth team watchers any ideas about a breakthrough for Branimir?

Mole is a pussy. 60ft up in the air and walking along a beam woud'nt scare me

;)

That was my thoughts after reading the article ;)

What about Kostadinov? Is he not ready yet? Same with Copil - big things expected of these two. Any youth team watchers any ideas about a breakthrough for Branimir?

I think theres a few in front of them.

Drylaw Hearts

It's interesting to read that he wants a Coach specific to the different areas of the team.

Adding another 3 Coaches is good idea and I will put a few suggestions his way :

Defensive Coach : Steven Pressley

Midfield Coach : Steve Fulton

Forwards Coach : John Robertson

It's interesting to read that he wants a Coach specific to the different areas of the team.

Adding another 3 Coaches is good idea and I will put a few suggestions his way :

In favour of all of these 3.

The difference they would make to the dressing room would be absolutely invaluable. Given their performances in Robbie's testimonial - Pressley and Baggio would improve our first team too.

Now if only we could ask Laszlo to sign a 'Screpis' contract we could get JJ in too to head up the managerial/coaching staff!

Am liking that!!

Hearts of Vladland

Hmm....:rolleyes::buttkick:

Now if only we could ask Laszlo to sign a 'Screpis' contract we could get JJ in too to head up the managerial/coaching staff!

Easy - just get him in an office, change the terms of the contract then lie about the changes saying it was just another copy of the contract he originally signed for registration purposes.

Bingo :P

Palazuelos's comments are the most interesting. Clearly everyone in the squad is aware that if we don't sign a couple of strikers we will be caught well short next season.

Champman-tastic!! :eek:

What's Stevie Fulton up to these days anyway?

... size 40 waist on his trousers

Still got it in that left peg though - at Robbie's testimonial Baggio barely misplaced a single pass.

... size 40 waist on his trousers

Still got it in that left peg though - at Robbie's testimonial Baggio barely misplaced a single pass.

Baggio was a joy to watch that day, although for me Tam Flogel

stole the show ...........oh how we have fallen :sad:

Baggio was a joy to watch that day, although for me Tam Flogel

stole the show ...........oh how we have fallen :sad:

Flogel looked a better option than any of our midfield players on the books.

Archived