Oh no, it's season 2001/2002: Tommi Gronlund?s gonnae get you!

Buffalo Bill

Tommi Gronlund - one of my top Hearts players of all time - vastly UNDER-rated - very much a defensive midfield player - couldna believe it when he scored - along with Nelly MacFarlane, one of the hardest-working players I've ever seen in a maroon jersey!

Rock on, Tommi!

I agree that both Gronlund and MacFarlane were hardworking good pros for us.

But Brellier came in and personified the holding midfield role - made me forget all about our previous players in that role.

Buffalo Bill
I thought Moose did his best up front but he looked like what he was - a centre half played out of position.......of course that goal was great however there were equally as many dismal performances at tynie and away though it wasn't all his fault as the service he got like our strikers get now was mostly very poor ..... Levein used to sub him off quite a lot as i remember.

I agree, a carthorse with acne. And he got taken to the cleaners at Brockville in our Scottish Cup mauling.

But credit where credit is due; and most of his goals were vital.

Buffalo Bill

Buffalo Bill

But Brellier came in and personified the holding midfield role - made me forget all about our previous players in that role.

Can't argue with that.

Buffalo Bill

Frankenstein Jambo.
I wouldn't ask Tommi Gronlund to teach any of the current Hearts players how to play football. But i would love him to teach a few of them how to show some heart, commitment and how to run through a brick wall for the jersey.

We have neilson for that

Frankenstein Jambo.

I can't believe people acually rate gronlund as a player! Sure his passion can' be questioned but his footballing ability was utter garbage!

Compare brellier with gronlund. Huge differencies isn't there?

There was a reason why the team with brellier in it was successful and the team with gronlund wasn't.

Frankenstein Jambo.
The evidence would suggest he ain't up to it then.

Neilson aint up to it. For a bottom six club yes but not a club who aims at challenging the the old firm WHICH WE SHOULD BE!

Charlie-Brown
I can't believe people acually rate gronlund as a player! Sure his passion can' be questioned but his footballing ability was utter garbage!

There was a reason why the team with brellier in it was successful and the team with gronlund wasn't.

One was a hardman the other wore ear-rings and carried a man-purse. :P

Buffalo Bill

Tommi didn't do as half a bad turn as you're suggesting.

I think it's also a little unfair to compare him Brellier. Of course, Julian was immense, the best holding midfielder I think we've had (in my time). But he was brought in on Vlad's luxury budget of 2005. Gronlund was a bargain basement buy when the club was up **** creek.

I'm sure we've better players than the honest grafters of this world. But the grafters can only give their all, and are usually the ones that do just that.

Buffalo Bill

Buffalo Bill
is the OP a passage from the book? ;)

I getting freekin' slagged rotten about this at every turn now! :P

Buffalo Bill

davemclaren

Personally, I thought Tommi was a decent player. This was not a popular view at the time and I took a bit of stick from those sitting around me IIRC. :confused:

davemclaren
Personally, I thought Tommi was a decent player. This was not a popular view at the time and I took a bit of stick from those sitting around me IIRC. :confused:

That's the title of my next book. A wee bit long but I think it's catchy... :)

Buffalo Bill
That's the title of my next book. A wee bit long but I think it's catchy... :)

I think it would also make a great movie.

We could get Tom Sizemore to play Dave McLaren.

Buffalo Bill

Buffalo Bill

This isn't just a thread about Tommi Gronlund.

Personally, I thought he was crap. :P

Buffalo Bill

Zali Cinnamon

Favourite game for me that season was the 3-2 win at Pittodrie. 2-1 down after 87 minutes, Mahe and McKenna win it in the dying minutes.

Seem to remember the Tomminator getting a late equaliser at Killie in a 3-3 draw too

Now if we are talking over-rated Brellier is a contender. A decent holding player who somehow became world class in many peoples eyes when he wasn't playing. Currently not playing for Norwich.

Drylaw Hearts
Now if we are talking over-rated Brellier is a contender. A decent holding player who somehow became world class in many peoples eyes when he wasn't playing. Currently not playing for Norwich.

That's because he play for some Swiss Club.

Anyway...

I wasn't Brellier's biggest fan but he did complement Skacel and Hartley evry well.

heartgarfunkel
Goals home and away v Hibs and his crashing header in Bordeaux were my favorite McKenna moments.

Could never dis the Moose myself.

weaverhorse

What I remember most about that season was the 1-1 draw against Hibs in

December. They had half their side out injured or suspended and we were on

a good run. Everyone expected us to hammer them and we took the lead

after 5 mins, but Levein being Levein decided to defend for the rest of the

match and Hibs equalised in injury time. They could even have won it as well

Townsley was right through in the 94th minute luckily Mckenzie saved his

shot. Then again we made up for it in the next derby:107years:

What I remember most about that season was the 1-1 draw against Hibs in

December. They had half their side out injured or suspended and we were on

a good run. Everyone expected us to hammer them and we took the lead

after 5 mins, but Levein being Levein decided to defend for the rest of the

match and Hibs equalised in injury time. They could even have won it as well

Townsley was right through in the 94th minute luckily Mckenzie saved his

shot. Then again we made up for it in the next derby:107years:

Sure McKenna scored the goal

Buffalo Bill
Sure McKenna scored the goal

He sure did. It was a strange sort of goal. He sort of smashed it into the ground but the bounce caught Colgan off balance and it just sort of bobbled into the net.

Feckers scored very late on.

Buffalo Bill

He sure did. It was a strange sort of goal. He sort of smashed it into the ground but the bounce caught Colgan off balance and it just sort of bobbled into the net.

Feckers scored very late on.

Buffalo Bill

Think it was some guy they had on loan from Sunderland who scored for them. Surname might have been Craig? See Sunderland have just signed Colgan.

Buffalo Bill
Think it was some guy they had on loan from Sunderland who scored for them. Surname might have been Craig? See Sunderland have just signed Colgan.

No, it was John O'Neil with a defected shot.

I think you're thinking of Craig(?) James who scored an 89th min goal to make it 3-2 to Hibs in the 4-4 game the next season.

Little did James know that there were still 3 goals to come!

Buffalo Bill

No, it was John O'Neil with a defected shot.

I think you're thinking of Craig(?) James who scored an 89th min goal to make it 3-2 to Hibs in the 4-4 game the next season.

Little did James know that there were still 3 goals to come!

Buffalo Bill

your right BB, Craig James was the name and he scored in the 2002/03 game.

Could never dis the Moose myself.

Me neither. What he lacked in ability he more than made up for in energy and enthusiasm, which 99% of our current squad are sorely lacking. He never hid, even if he ersed up he shrugged it off and was looking for the ball. I genuinely liked him.

And he went friggin' berserk when he scored!!!!

MOOOOOOOOSE!!!!!!!

McKenna was top, i really liked him. On the field he was totally committed and off the field he was always saying good things.

At first he (alongside Elvis) was a good centre half. When he was later made to play up front, he played there that long that he had forgotten how to be a centre half.

Scored a cracker against Rangers if I recall.

You can say what you like about Moose, Stamp, Gronlund, Macfarlane etc. But look at the fond memories on this thread, I know I was happy to have them all playing in for Hearts. Back in those days the football may have been patchy but it was more entertaining than watching the nomarks of last season playing a brand of football absolutely bereft of hunger or desire.

These players had a bit of character and looked like they actually cared. They also gave us something to identify with, so while they were not the greatest players in our history we at least gave them the backing they deserved.

Look at the team now, what players in our squad have any sort of character or personality? Banks thats about it (now that Pinilla's gone anyway!;))

We are in desperate need of players with character who can galvanise the dressing room. As Shaun pointed out Stamp was worth his money as he was another big character and you could see he had a positive effect on the team.

Having characters in the dressing room is a simple but essential part of building a team. The only player in our squad with a bit about him is a goalkeeper who is about to retire, this needs to change.

Archived