Pat Nevin reads Kickback...

Martin_T

Ibrahim Tall
There was one hilarious occasion when the tables were turned, much to the amusement of all concerned. The club can't be named but they were a major British name. The date for the meeting was set but the club had a European qualifier they were expected to win the night before. They unexpectedly lost the tie and it was quite clear that they could no longer afford to buy the player in question. A group of officials from the club had to turn up on the day and argue that he wasn't in fact any good after all and the panel really ought to dismiss their case out of hand. The problem was that the player had a World Cup winner's medal in his back pocket and was a cast iron cert to get the nod. They simply didn't want to own up to their fans and face the embarrassment of not being able to afford the player everyone knew they wanted. The meeting descended into farce with both sides laughing at the situation and the work permit was duly granted. The club then scuppered the deal as quickly and as quietly as possible.

Who?

Only a Game

I wonder if Pat's mates have asked him to prepare us for the rejection thats about to happen ?

Guest gorgie kev
I doubt very much that someone like Nevin would be interested in JBK

Or even be able to read-backwards little gimp.

lawriejambo

He must sit at least 3ft away from the screen when he does. Have you seen the size of his beak..

Jeezo..

Anyway with an article like that it only goes to prove how inept creatures like him are crap at deciding who gets an who doesn't..

Ibrahim Tall
It must be a player from Brazil or Argentina.

Can't think who though.

Aye, thought Jardel maybe but i'm not sure if he was in the '94 WC team. Fairly sure his Rangers transfer collapsed at work permit point though?

Ibrahim Tall
Mike Walker once called a press conference to announce the signing of Muller for Everton, only for him to walk out on the club 30 minutes prior upon discovering he had to pay tax on his ?20k per week wages, and would not be receiving a free house or car.

Link

Might have been him, time would fit anyway.

LeylandJambo
Or even be able to read-backwards little gimp.

I take it you hate him as much as me then? The fact that he played for cellic is enough for me.:mad:

I'v already posted on another thread that I think its a bit of a coincidence that he has timed this article with hearts once again seeking a WP...

...perhaps i haven't looked hard enough but I haven't noticed any stories about other SPL clubs seeking them at the moment.

feels like he is trying to justify a decision that in his mind has already been made.

Drylaw Hearts
I take it you hate him as much as me then? The fact that he played for cellic is enough for me.:mad:

Pat Nevin didn't play for Celtic.

Only a Game
Pat Nevin didn't play for Celtic.

No, but he's got that look about him hasnt he ?:):)

gorgie rd eh11

You're 100% wrong. The article clearly shows he has been reading kickback, and appears to be preparing Hearts fans for the predictable knockback.

He's not a real hibs fan, just a fashion victim. Like a few others, read trainspotting, and jumped on the bandwagon searching for a bit of street cred.

Chris Evans

obviously to busy passing Mr Du Weis visa application.

Nevin is a Grade A stroker.

Another case of a Hearts hater. And good. Hes a wee runt.

When did Nevin ever play for 'cellic'? Unless you are counting Celtic boys club that is.....He's actually open about his support for Mixu's hoofers these days......:eek:

Auld Reekin'

:eek::wacko:

No he didn't: he was signed to the ticks as a schoolboy, but at no stage in his senior career ever played for them.

LeylandJambo
When did Nevin ever play for 'cellic'? Unless you are counting Celtic boys club that is.....He's actually open about his support for Mixu's hoofers these days......:eek:

Pretty sure he did but i've been known to be wrong just the once or twice

shaun.lawson
Link

Might have been him, time would fit anyway.

Yeah, but Mike Walker was in charge (sic) of Everton in 1994 - Nevin was still a player then! Off the top of my head, I'll hazard a guess that the club in question was either Celtic, possibly Liverpool or most likely Newcastle. Celtic and Liverpool lost unexpectedly to Basle in 02/3; and Newcastle were disastrously eliminated from the CL by Partizan Belgrade in 03/4 - a game Freddy Shepherd never even countenanced losing - and have been in decline ever since. The farce surrounding the events described by Nevin would fit Shepherd's Newcastle to a tee as well.

Only a Game

Unless I am mistaken Hearts are the only SPL club currently seeking a work permit for any player.

The fact that we might not get one and didnt get one in dubious circumstances the last time has only been fully discussed on here and briefly covered in the EEN.

Strange then that Nevin should chose this very time to produce a comprehensive article on a subject that cant possibly be of any current interest to anyone outwith the Hearts support.

I would say the timing and content of the article strongly suggests that the idea to do it was picked up from here, if not by Nevin himself, then by someone who suggested he write it.

Unless I am mistaken Hearts are the only SPL club currently seeking a work permit for any player.

The fact that we might not get one and didnt get one in dubious circumstances the last time has only been fully discussed on here and briefly covered in the EEN.

Strange then that Nevin should chose this very time to produce a comprehensive article on a subject that cant possibly be of any current interest to anyone outwith the Hearts support.

I would say the timing and content of the article strongly suggests that the idea to do it was picked up from here, if not by Nevin himself, then by someone who suggested he write it.

I think the fact that Nevin mentions Hearts fans bleating about a Hibs mafia in his article removes all doubt.

Miller Jambo 60
No, but he's got that look about him hasnt he ?:):)

Ma HA luv it he is a wee weegie smell gorgie rule ya baSS:107years::107years:

Noticed the article glosses over the fact that a WP was awarded last year to Mizuno, and unless I'm wrong the lad has not even made it onto the bench yet.

Why not mention that as it surely has more relevance than his story about a team not wanting a WP granted.

lawriejambo
Noticed the article glosses over the fact that a WP was awarded last year to Mizuno, and unless I'm wrong the lad has not even made it onto the bench yet.

Why not mention that as it surely has more relevance than his story about a team not wanting a WP granted.

Nail on head

They would still argue that he is of the highest quality that would improve the SPL (not)...

Pat, **** off, yah biased wee big nosed waste of space, t*t.

We don't need your comments and never will, crawl back under yer small stone.

The Old Tolbooth
Who?

I'm not sure which player it was, but I'm pretty much convinced it was when Celtic lost to Artmedia Bratislava, it's the only unexpected loss I can think of.

Rick Grimes

he's not necessarily picked this up from JKB. it's more than possible that discussions are doing the rounds in footballing circles as to whether or not Obua will get his permit. the comments re: Mizuno & Du Wei are spot on tho - if we fail we should appeal long & loud using these two as prime examples.

To Pat Nevin

if you read this big nose, i think you are a little bawbag and ye smell of cat pish

when Hearts failed to secure yet another new player from abroad. (taken from the article in question).

In one hand he implies that we are paranoid yet with comments like the one above I think it's obvious were that little scroat is coming from.

Suedo Hibs F Wit.

The Old Tolbooth
he's not necessarily picked this up from JKB. it's more than possible that discussions are doing the rounds in footballing circles as to whether or not Obua will get his permit. the comments re: Mizuno & Du Wei are spot on tho - if we fail we should appeal long & loud using these two as prime examples.

You missed Zemmama, Benji the dug, and that Algerian no mark that signed for Hibs at full back. :confused:

I'M IBRAHIM TALL

Dear Pat

Reading broadsheets and listening to The Jesus & Marychain doth not an intelligent man make. There is a saying "In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king". Your not an intelligent footballer, your just less thick. Its the old Graeme Le Saux syndrome. And surely anyone using anything as a source for their (ahem) "work" really should be giving them some kind of credit.

Get yourself away to the Metha Dome with the rest of city's gob****es

:107years::107years:

The People's Chimp

nevin is a good guy. not sure about all of this hate for him on this thread. IN fact the unfounded claims that he is another "hearts hater" are blown completely out of the water by his performance at half time during the AEK athens russian ref debacle.

Nevin if you're reading this, give us a heads up when you're next djing in the weej and a few of us will fire along.

Say What Again
You missed Zemmama, Benji the dug

Exactly what I was going to post John.

Patrick, if you do read Kickback, I'd like to think a man of you obvious stature :rolleyes:and intellect :rolleyes: would take the few minutes it takes to explain from your article, this:

The overriding rule is that work permits will only be issued to 'international players of the highest calibre who will make a significant contribution in footballing terms to the development of the United Kingdom game at the highest level.'

I take it Zemmama (0 caps) and Benji (5 - all this year so also 0 when his permit was granted) clearly 'make a significant contribution in footballing terms to the development of the United Kingdom game at the highest level'?

I suggest you're a bell end Pat.

Boab Mugabe

Nevin's clearly an expert on the game. It took years of practice to fiddle about with that Bic biro when he's on TV at half time, don't you know! :rolleyes:

The Koki Mizuno signing was probably the biggest urine extraction of all WP applications.

Stuart Lyon

The News of the World had a wee article yesterday saying something similar to Nevin i.e. granting WPs to non-EU players will kill the development of Scottish youngsters. Didn't the SFA start that themselves? What ever happened to the then much vaunted Ernie Walker masterplan?

I would like to hear Nevins thoughts on Hibs 2 Morroccans and the Algerian or Celtics Du Wei.

Timing does stink imo especially when in another paper (Notw iirc) Jake Duncan(Hearts fan), a players agent tell us that Hearts will be ruining football if they are allowed to sign Obua. He seems to make out we are the first team ever to have to appeal for a player.

marshallschunkychicken

Reads to me exactly like he's trying to prepare us for the fact that a decision has already been made, before the evidence has even been presented.

Have to admit that I was surprised to see an article that was so closely linked to our current application and regardless of whether or not it came about as a result of conversations here, I didn't really like the timing much.

I quite like Nevin usually...he was quite outspoken and supportive towards Hearts when we were getting a tough time from the refs and especially after Mikogate. However, I was a bit disappointed that his article was so incomplete...he has a go at us for blaming the 'Hibee panel' and mentions a couple of cases where they think they got it right despite being publicly questioned about it....but he doesn't address the obvious cases such as Benji/Zemamma or Du Wei and that makes it all much less convincing.

I don't doubt that we sometimes don't understand the decisions made and don't 'get' the bigger picture, but if he's going to write an article like that he might have actually done something to dispel the most popular rumours and not just have a go at Jambos for being moaning faced twits. Poor show, Nevin.

shaun.lawson
Have to admit that I was surprised to see an article that was so closely linked to our current application and regardless of whether or not it came about as a result of conversations here, I didn't really like the timing much.

I quite like Nevin usually...he was quite outspoken and supportive towards Hearts when we were getting a tough time from the refs and especially after Mikogate. However, I was a bit disappointed that his article was so incomplete...he has a go at us for blaming the 'Hibee panel' and mentions a couple of cases where they think they got it right despite being publicly questioned about it....but he doesn't address the obvious cases such as Benji/Zemamma or Du Wei and that makes it all much less convincing.

I don't doubt that we sometimes don't understand the decisions made and don't 'get' the bigger picture, but if he's going to write an article like that he might have actually done something to dispel the most popular rumours and not just have a go at Jambos for being moaning faced twits. Poor show, Nevin.

I agree 100%. Nevin's basically a nice guy, though very populist: I've actually lost count of the amount of games he's commented on where he's insisted, often because of the fan in him, that the referee must've been nobbled; and he made a complete pig's ear out of being Motherwell Chief Executive too! I think his article is meant well, but extremely ill considered: you're quite right about his failure to address the Hibs or Celtic cases, and the timing of the piece is very odd indeed.

Dr. Bapswent
I agree 100%. Nevin's basically a nice guy, though very populist: I've actually lost count of the amount of games he's commented on where he's insisted, often because of the fan in him, that the referee must've been nobbled; and he made a complete pig's ear out of being Motherwell Chief Executive too! I think his article is meant well, but extremely ill considered: you're quite right about his failure to address the Hibs or Celtic cases, and the timing of the piece is very odd indeed.

Its not odd thought is it.

Its deliberate.

The News of the World had a wee article yesterday saying something similar to Nevin i.e. granting WPs to non-EU players will kill the development of Scottish youngsters. Didn't the SFA start that themselves? What ever happened to the then much vaunted Ernie Walker masterplan?

Ernie's "Thinktank" happened over a decade ago and the basic outcome was that the SFA had to get rid of the committee structure and come into the 20th century. Think it cost the SFA over ?1m for the report.

So guess what the SFA then did? Yep, it put the findings of the report to a committee and asked them to vote on whether or not to go ahead with it :dribble:

Needless to say the turkeys never voted for Christmas and it was scrapped.

Those blazers do love a jolly on other folks money after all :mad:

shaun.lawson
Its not odd thought is it.

Its deliberate.

Well yes - and 'odd' was a poor choice of word on my part! But the thing is, I think Nevin wrote this piece to reassure us about the fairness of the system (because he, in good faith, actually believes it to be fair) - but all he's done is just increase our doubts and concerns. He's made a pig's ear of what he was trying to say, and demonstrated a worrying lack of awareness about the various cases which have led many to decry the panel as a corrupt, self-serving load of nonsense.

Jam Tarts 1874

The over-reaction to Pat Nevin's article is fascinating. I think it just goes to show how important some deluded people think kickback is and indeed how important their own opinions are. The fact is that there will be lots of work permit cases going to the panel over the next few weeks, Nevin has experience of being on that panel so why shouldn't he comment on it now? What would be the point of commenting on the workings of the panel in October for instance?

I don't see anything anti-Hearts in the article at all.

I'm sick of hearing that excuse 'too many foreigners made us crap at international level'

what a load of b0ll*x

we have been crap for years as our players were crap

Nothing anti-Hearts? I think the comment about 'yet another foreign player' is pretty revealing. It's an entirely unnecessary thing to say, adds nothing to his argument, and I can't see any way he could have meant it to be anything other than derisive.

The argument Nevin presents in the article is all very well, but as others have pointed out, it collapses completely when you look at some of the players the panel have approved in recent years - Du Wei, Mizuno, the North Africans at Hibs. All of them a million miles from qualifying by right, unlike Gogua, who was very close.

Archived