Cheapest way to get train tickets?

quitongo

Looking to get down to Manchester on 6th Aug for the Man Utd game and back the following day. The National Rail Enquiries site seemed to quote ?40 return but I cant follow right through the transaction?

Any other ideas? Cheers!

I go down to Waverly ticket office.

They always find the cheapest tickets available.

Usually cheaper than quoted elsewhere.

:thumb:

?40 return will probably be as cheap as it gets now since they stopped the megatrain from edin - man, once got the return for ?3 !!

I got down to Manchester for about ?13 a few months ago, so you should be able to get up and down for ?30 or less. I got it cheaply buy buying singles from Edinburgh to Preston then Preston to Manchester.

Alternatively you could go through to Glasgow and get the Megabus down, although that might not work out too different.

Last but not least, you can try getting down on the National Express East Coast train to Leeds and then a train from here to Manchester (again all singles).

Chris Evans
Looking to get down to Manchester on 6th Aug for the Man Utd game and back the following day. The National Rail Enquiries site seemed to quote ?40 return but I cant follow right through the transaction?

Any other ideas? Cheers!

ok mate. Thats a good price but dont book through National Rail. You will get a discount of around 10% if you book direct with Virgin Trains. Other option is to go on National Express east coast website and go to York then cahnge. Sorry no links im a bit poor at this malarky. But the ?40 you have been quoted is a very fair deal so take it.

?40 isn't bad but I'm pretty sure you could do cheaper. But probably not much. I did Edinburgh-Preston-Manchester-Leeds-York-Edinburgh four months ago for a grand total of about ?30.

robbies-tackle

Spent ages online at he end of last year trying to book through trainline for an Edinburgh to Manchester return. Gave up eventually and phoned Virgin. Got through to a very nice Asian girl who got me a return ticket on a direct train for ?20(?10 each way). The Virgin train websites cheapest online fare at the time was ?85 return. My advice is check the website then phone.

Cheers for all the help guys! Booked via Preston on the way down and directly on the way back. Worked out about ?40 on thetrainline.com! :fing25:

Archived