Bob Crampsey RIP ( merged threads )

japanjambo

Just read that Bob Crampsey passed away after a long illness. The man was a legend, and I always loved this quote of his at the beginning of the History Of Hearts video:

"Tynecastle Park, and the beginning of another campaign in the history of a football club. A history that is greater in substance, spirit and soul, than any other in Scotland."

RIP, dear Bob.

Lynn

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gigolo-Aunt

That is very sad indeed. Had a real passion for the game that always came across from his reporting.

RIP

ToadKiller Dog

A true gent knowledgeable and he never showed any bias in is writing or commentary .

RIP BOB

bean counter

Very sad news.

He was one of the most knowledgeable commentators ever and always a gentleman

Alex MacDonald

Very sad news. Condolences to his family and legion of friends. There wasn't a more intelligent, unbiased (Queens Park fan) and witty comentator on the game within Scotland in my lifetime, sadly under-utilised by the nae-brains OF loving media.

Rest in peace Bob, you've given us so many memorable moments, thank you.

Guest jambomickey

when he was on sportsound it was like his brain was a computer! he could remember games and things from away back, he was certainly a true football man

I'm sure he won "Brain of Britain" a radio show back in the sixties and he had a wealth of knowledge about football. A Queens Park supporter I believe.

John Findlay

THe word legend is banded about far to easily nowadays. However in the case of the now late Bob Crampsey the word I firmly believe is entirely

appropriate. For a man from the west his total lack of bias to any team in Scotland was a great credit to him and many of today's journalists and so called football experts could take more than a leaf from his book.

RIP Bob. Condolences to all your family.

Scottish football has indeed lost one of it's best.

John

Johanes de Silentio

Very sad news - a true legend - the voice of reason in the shallow world of Scottish sports journalism - will be greatly missed - RIP, Bob.

Very sad news. Condolences to his family and legion of friends. There wasn't a more intelligent, unbiased (Queens Park fan) and witty comentator on the game within Scotland in my lifetime, sadly under-utilised by the nae-brains OF loving media.

Rest in peace Bob, you've given us so many memorable moments, thank you.

i hope you will forgive me for quoting you alex but you said everything i wanted to only better RIP mr crampsey

He spoke to the Shareholders' Association a few years ago & was excellent, especially on the demise of Third Lanark. As said above, a superb & impartial commentator on the game.

RIP

rip bob, legend and true gent, was he a jambo.

I think it's been covered fairly extensively above that he was a Queen's Park man.

Bob Crampsey was a broadcasting legend. I used to love listening to him regale listeners with some humourous anecdote from bygone years on Radio Scotland in his gravelly voice.

Sadly missed.

Billy the Jambo

RIP MR Crampsey he knew everything about football it was a pleasure listening to him .Certainly knew more than any journalist that is on the airwaves or in newspapers today

We are certainly poorer for his passing and can only hope that he didn't suffer too much. Thanks for the example for others to try and live up to.

When Bob came on the radio, you listened. He always had positive points to make and his knowledge of Scottish football history, no matter which club or what league they were in was unrivalled. Today's Reporters/Journalists/TV & radio pundits could, and should learn from him. A real gentleman who will be sadly missed. R.I.P

That is sad.

He was great to listen to on BBC Scotland during the 1990s.

Great stories and a brilliant story teller.

RIP Bob.

best in the land

sad news.

can't think of a current pundit/commentator with the same respect as bob.

rip.

blondejamtart

Sad news indeed - and many, if not most, of today's so-called commentators would do well to take a leaf out of his book. A wealth of knowledge on the games, and as others have pointed out, knew how to get his points across in a clear, concise and unbiased way.

Agree with all the posts.

I loved listening and reading to Bob on football and cricket too.

When you think of all the inappropriate minutes silences Scottish football has had recently, surely a minutes applause for the gent at the opening games around the country would be the right thing to do.

RIP.

Sad news RIP Bob Crampsey a proper football pundit and commentator.I always enjoyed listening to him,he puts the majority of journo jokers we have now to shame.

Just read that Bob Crampsey passed away after a long illness. The man was a legend, and I always loved this quote of his at the beginning of the History Of Hearts video:

"Tynecastle Park, and the beginning of another campaign in the history of a football club. A history that is greater in substance, spirit and soul, than any other in Scotland."

RIP, dear Bob.

Lynn

That is very very sad news. :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

Former Brain of Britain, insightful and thoughtful writer, commentator and analyst. He will always be respected and remembered.

RIP Bob. :sad:

You always knew when he spoke on something that his was a very measured, considered and informed opinion, something that so very few journalists these days can offer. RIP.

Bob Crampsie first appeared on the TV in the early days of the real 'Scotsport' from 1957 until the sad demise of what was a first class sports programme covering as it did, not just Football, but all the popular sports including golf, rugby and cricket.

Arthur Montford, Alex Cameron and Norman Mair were fine journalists of the old school and Bob, who was a school headmaster, added his broad knowledge of the history and famous characters of the sports, but particularly of football. He could recall names, games and statistics from the past in an instant.

As has been said by others he was completely unbiased in his opinions. He was a true gentleman.

RIP Bob Crampsie.

Pants Shaton

Where we once had the insight and wit of Bob Crampsey, we now have the sycophantic droolings of Chick Young.

Condolences to Bob's family.

Boab Mugabe

Terrible shame. Whenever Bob spoke he was incredibly thoughtful, balanced and he could tell some great Scottish football stories. His like won't be seen again - I despair when you hear present day clowns like Mark Guidi, Chick Young, Keith Jackson or Ewen Cameron who spout their opinion as fact. Crampsey could wipe the floor with each in a couple of seconds with his encyclopedic knowledge of the game.

RIP. :(

ford donald

RIP BOB CRAMPSEY.Very intelligent and knowledgable man,almost seems he had to much intelligent for the scottish game! will never be another like him.

RIP.

More understanding of the beautiful game in his little finger than most of us will ever possess. His appearance at the Shareholders' dinner a few years back was a memorable tour-de-force. RIP Bob.

Terrible shame. Whenever Bob spoke he was incredibly thoughtful, balanced and he could tell some great Scottish football stories. His like won't be seen again - I despair when you hear present day clowns like Mark Guidi, Chick Young, Keith Jackson or Ewen Cameron who spout their opinion as fact. Crampsey could wipe the floor with each in a couple of seconds with his encyclopedic knowledge of the game.

RIP. :(

I'll echo the above.

RIP Bob.

Charlie-Brown

Bob Crampsey puts 95% of modern sports journalist to shame, I grew up listening to Bob Crampsey, David Francey, James Sanderson etc on the radio - even though you didn't always agree with their analysis you at least knew these were educated men and many of their points had some validity unlike many of the cretins we're forced to endure now.

RIP Bob Crampsey

Midfield Terrier

I think Crampsey was so good because he had so many interests beyond football. He could view the game objectively without any bias or agenda, something modern football journalists would do well to learn. He never belittled his audience and was enthusiastic in sharing his knowledge.

He also said that the 'Terrible Trio' were the best forward line he had ever seen so you couldn't help but warm to the man!

Met him on a couple of occassions a true gent, loved to talk about all things football he is the kind of man that could keep you enthralled for hours.

The game and journolism has lost a true ledgend.

RIP Bob

Alex MacDonald
Agree with all the posts.

I loved listening and reading to Bob on football and cricket too.

When you think of all the inappropriate minutes silences Scottish football has had recently, surely a minutes applause for the gent at the opening games around the country would be the right thing to do.

RIP.

This is an excellent idea Pablo, would be thoroughly deserved. How about it Hearts, irrespective of whether other clubs do it, how about a minute's applause before the Motherwell game?

I think Crampsey was so good because he had so many interests beyond football. He could view the game objectively without any bias or agenda, something modern football journalists would do well to learn. He never belittled his audience and was enthusiastic in sharing his knowledge.

He also said that the 'Terrible Trio' were the best forward line he had ever seen so you couldn't help but warm to the man!

hear hear!!

Truly the consummate professional.

I like the idea of the minutes' silence: a fitting tribute to a really smashing guy.

very sad news - Bob was in a league of his own as a commentator, always interesting articulate and intelligent - and universally respected.

Very sad news indeed. Hopefully Sportsound put together a wee tribute show in his memory, that would be fitting & would allow those who loved listening to him have a trip down memory lane.

This is an excellent idea Pablo, would be thoroughly deserved. How about it Hearts, irrespective of whether other clubs do it, how about a minute's applause before the Motherwell game?

aye couldn't agree more RIP a true Scottish Football Legend:sad:

Very sad news. Always had the utmost respect for Bob who gave an honest and unbiased view of Scottish football whenever I heard him speak.

PresidentRomanov

Always enjoyed listening to Bob Crampsey's thoughts on football, he knew what the game was all about.

RIP Bob.

Archived