Tom Waits

cosanostra

Anyone going to see him at the Playhouse?

Was sold out before i even heard about it.

Absolutely loving his music at the moment. You know when you hear something that you know little about and you give it a try and it just totally captures your imagination and inspires you to check out more of the same, i'm having one of those times at the moment. Tom Waits is amazing.

No idea how the hell he can sing like that but he has one of the best voices i've ever heard. The word legend is applied all to often these days but this guy is a living legend.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=p6BJLjTDtXo

I'll be there on Monday. Got castigated on here before the tickets came out cos it might decrease people's chances of getting tix !

Saw him at the Palyhouse 21 years ago, and in Amsterdam in Oct '04.

Genius, acquired taste, but brilliant.

I'll be there on Monday. Got castigated on here before the tickets came out cos it might decrease people's chances of getting tix !

Saw him at the Palyhouse 21 years ago, and in Amsterdam in Oct '04.

Genius, acquired taste, but brilliant.

My mate is going to both nights ay ?95 a ticket.

Expensive but worth seeing him live. Guy has to be one of the best living songwriters.

ArmiyaRomanova

I was also at the Playhouse show 21 years ago - worst seat in the house as I recall, right up at the very back of the top tier in the corner.

Better placed this time, middle of the stalls on the Monday night.

?107 for a ticket (inc. Ticketb@st@rd charges) took a bit of swallowing though.

Cosa, you should check out Dog Door on the B@st@rd CD of his Orphans triple.

I was also at the Playhouse show 21 years ago - worst seat in the house as I recall, right up at the very back of the top tier in the corner.

Better placed this time, middle of the stalls on the Monday night.

?107 for a ticket (inc. Ticketb@st@rd charges) took a bit of swallowing though.

Cosa, you should check out Dog Door on the B@st@rd CD of his Orphans triple.

Dog Door - excellent stuff, recorded with Mark Linkous (Sparklehorse).

Going on Monday, cannae wait.

Ivanauskas33

Just back from the show. It was the best thing I have ever seen in my life :)

Those going tommorow are in for treat. The only bad point is I don't think I'll ever see anything that good ever again.

ArmiyaRomanova

I was talking with two friends last night who bought tickets for the Monday night show LAST WEEK.

The website apparently trails the show as sold out, but they both called the box office and were sold what they were told was 'returns'.

So, anyone wanting to go tonight, looks like it might still be possible.

Evening News announced last Thursday that 50 tickets for each show were being put on sale at the box office. No idea why, and I imagine they'll be gone by now.

I'm going tonight. Was out of the country in 1987 and missed him. I really can't wait for this. A friend of mine was up from London for last night's show and said it was exceptional. Waits played for over two hours. No real focus on any individual album, but you wouldn't expect that, I suppose.

How great was last night? Extraordinary, and worth every one of the 7500 pennies.

Brilliant him being on the podium thing with dusty floorboards - two and a half hours, non-stop.

PS The review of Sunday, in the Herald today, is a bit of a linguistic jerk-off by the reviewer:

"Last time Tom Waits docked in these parts, he was in the fertile throes of an artistic reinvention that had moved away from bar-room laments to something a lot stranger. Even then, his live show felt like taking a day-trip to another country dreamed up by a Weimar troupe squatting in a Coney Island fun palace. Twenty-one years on, and for the first of his two Edinburgh concerts - the only UK dates on his Glitter and Doom tour - visitors even needed a passport to cross the border into Waits-world. (Another suitable form of photographic ID for cross-checking against tickets would have sufficed, if we're going to be prosaic.) Beyond such tout-busting precautions, the scarlet-lit drapes flanking the 57 varieties of megaphone set up at the back of the stage like some futurist contraption suggested Waits still occupies the same junkshop fleapit of yore. As he slipped into the spotlight like a bowler-hatted fairground barker, the whiff of smoke beneath him made him look like he'd ascended from Hades. The two hours that followed did little to dispel the image, as Waits and a stripped-down five-piece ensemble criss-crossed more than 30 years of organ-wheeze oompah, waltz-time shuffle and tin-pan-alley noir.

As if rewriting the great American songbook wasn't enough, the 26 numbers, peppered with bad jokes and non-sequiturs, resembled routines delivered by some flophouse raconteur high on Lord Buckley riffing on Charles Bukowski. And when Waits sat at the piano to return to the late-night sentimentalism of Invitation to the Blues and You're Innocent When You Dream, it was as if all your morning-afters had come at once. As the heavens opened at the conclusion of an incantatory Make It Rain, it was only glitter pouring down, but it felt like voodoo of the sweetest kind."

How great was last night? Extraordinary, and worth every one of the 7500 pennies.

Absolutely extraordinary. Like no other concert I have been to.

Is anyone prepared to make an attempt at remembering the set list?

Try this site. Sunday's is already up, last night's should be appearing soon. The two sets were obviously very different, though.

http://eyeballkid.blogspot.com/

Tom Waits

Edinburgh Playhouse, Edinburgh, Scotland

28 July 2008

01) Lucinda/Ain't Goin' Down To The Well 5:25

02) Rain Dogs 5:46

03) Falling Down 4:27

04) On The Other Side Of The World 4:59

05) I'll Shoot The Moon 6:24

06) God's Away On Business 4:14

07) The Part You Throw Away 5:34

08) Eyeball Kid 7:00

09) Singapore 8:08

10) Tom Traubert's Blues 7:20

11) The Briar And The Rose 3:56

12) Take It With Me 4:07

13) Innocent When You Dream 4:36

14) Lie To Me 4:56

15) Hoist That Rag 6:45

16) Bottom Of The World 6:14

17) Cold Cold Ground 4:22

18) Green Grass 3:49

19) Way Down In The Hole 3:46

20) Dirt In The Ground 5:27

21) Metropolitan Glide 5:10

22) Make It Rain 11:48

23) Jesus Gonna Be Here 5:06

24) 9th & Hennepin 4:47

25) Anywhere I Lay My Head 2:48

Currently loving Big in Japan. :)

Still tickets available for all three Dublin gigs, cosa...

Unbelievable but true.

Still tickets available for all three Dublin gigs, cosa...

Unbelievable but true.

Off to Berlin tomorrow for a week with a bunch of mates for some partying.

Got loads of TW tunes my laptop though. :)

Where did you find that, Rob?

Dime a Dozen by the looks of it.

I downloaded the playhouse gig out of curiosity, wish I hadn't bothered.... somebody PLEASE tell me how they can like that voice?

I'm sure its actually one of those big puppet types - the honey monster or the cookie monster or someone out the muppets thats doing the "singing"!

;)

Ivanauskas33
Dime a Dozen by the looks of it.

I downloaded the playhouse gig out of curiosity, wish I hadn't bothered.... somebody PLEASE tell me how they can like that voice?

I'm sure its actually one of those big puppet types - the honey monster or the cookie monster or someone out the muppets thats doing the "singing"!

;)

Some people get it, and others don't. Its really impossible to explain.

I always thought it was a bit like Oscar the Grouch, but now that you mention it, its even closer to the cookie monster.

Archived