Foyle Cup Success

The School End

The School End

:) Congratulations to Hearts 11s for winning the Foyle Cup. :)

The wee jambos were superb winning 7 games on the bounce and defeating Derry & District Select 3-0 in the Final. One player from the squad also won the man of the tournament award, completing a highly successful 1st tour for the group.

The Old Tolbooth

Superb news, we always seem to do well in this tourney, looking forward to the other age groups results also.

jamboinglasgow

just to add to that success of the U11s there was mixed fortunes for the other two groups.

The U12s were put out in the quarter finals but won the playoff to face FS Academy for 5th place in their age group.

The U14s lost in a close game to Sheffield United in their semi final match. They lost on penaltys 5-4. The go on to play FAI development (what I presume is the northern Ireland development squad) for 3rd place. Unlucky guys but well done in getting so far.

jamboinglasgow
:) Congratulations to Hearts 11s for winning the Foyle Cup. :)

The wee jambos were superb winning 7 games on the bounce and defeating Derry & District Select 3-0 in the Final. One player from the squad also won the man of the tournament award, completing a highly successful 1st tour for the group.

Noticed they won 15-0 in one match, they must be buzzing after that success, always good to win a major competition.

Charlie-Brown

The Hearts under 14's appear to have lost their cup semi 5-6 on penalties to sheffield utd after a 1-1 draw and thus will play FS Academy team in the 3rd/4th play off tomorrow....Hearts under 12's team also play the same opponents in the 5th/6th place play off in that age group.

Charlie-Brown

One thing about the mini-soccer (7-a-side) that Hearts 11's won is that the skill level of those teams and game understanding is very high....I watched the younger age groups play Hamilton in 7v7 games after an U19 game at riccarton last season and the kids technical skill and passing was excellent - also they resisted the temptation to play selfishly or all chase the ball and instead played and passed and kept their positions so their overall team-work and chances of scoring & winning was increased - it was quite impressive considering what are still very young kids - they don't start playing 11v11 until secondary school age.

Toxteth O'Grady

Well done to the under 11's

Look forward to seeing them all at Tynie in about 7 years time

jamboinglasgow
One thing about the mini-soccer (7-a-side) that Hearts 11's won is that the skill level of those teams and game understanding is very high....I watched the younger age groups play Hamilton in 7v7 games after an U19 game at riccarton last season and the kids technical skill and passing was excellent - also they resisted the temptation to play selfishly or all chase the ball and instead played and passed and kept their positions so their overall team-work and chances of scoring & winning was increased - it was quite impressive considering what are still very young kids - they don't start playing 11v11 until secondary school age.

funnily enough I was at that game and spent more time watching the U11s play then the U19s. It was impressive and did remind me that the full effect of the academy which started from a young age of 10 (though I'm sure I heard in an interview with either JM or DM that they are trying to start a team for 8 year olds.)A player has the best chance of development if they have been with hearts all the way and the facilities and new techniques would help hearts to bring this player up. In my mind the first real academy player i.e. one who has been with hearts earliest team all the way through while being at the facilties at riccarton every year will not be 19 till 2011 (or round about there.) So in fact a player like Scott Robinson could be classified as this (though not 100% sure if he has been at hearts since the earliest possible age.)

The sad thing about youth development is that it takes time before any real results are seen, to me the reason I am so interested in it is the idea of potential in a player and that fufilling it through the coaches, facilities, teams and the players themselves (actully I am tempted to become a coach if I had the time though obviously need to work my way up.) But as it takes time, the ground work layed back in 2004 is starting to produce and if Csaba is in charge then it can only get better and better. Still want to know what he plans when on the day he was unveiled he said he planned changes at riccarton.

Archived