Grad Schemes...

A Boy Named Crow

A Boy Named Crow

...What do we think of them?

I have been on a graduate training scheme with a multinational for about 18 months now. I am studying towards the CIMA qualification. Quite honestly I'm sick of it. Not the qualfication, just the grad scheme itself. I think I've had to use my brain about three times since I joined!

I'm considering chucking it and applying for P/Q jobs in more permanent roles with other firms. What does anyone who's been here think of that for a plan? The way I see it, I'll be in a job I can be more committed to, rather than knowing anything I do won't matter because in six months I'll move on.

As it is, I feel like the dogsbody, doing all the crappy jobs the rest of them don't want to do.

(It sounds from this that I've made up my mind, but trust me, opions are being sought!)

A Boy Named Crow

Aye no doubt, I'm still right up for finishing CIMA. My main beef is really with the employer. They are really just extracting it with the quality of the jobs on the scheme. What I want to know is if this is par for the course for a scheme, I suspect it might be.

chester copperpot
Aye no doubt, I'm still right up for finishing CIMA. My main beef is really with the employer. They are really just extracting it with the quality of the jobs on the scheme. What I want to know is if this is par for the course for a scheme, I suspect it might be.

Depends what company you work for mate. Some are pretty crappy, and offer skanky 20K jobs at the end of it, which means you'll be devaluing your degree.

My works excellent. I applied for an Executive Trainee job a few years back. Didn't get it, but the guy I went for the role with is now working in London on a bumper package at 2 grades higher than me, so shows what can be done.

And before you ask, yes, he was the right man for the job. (Said through gritted teeth).

I don't have a degree but have loads of graduates working for me. Have to say it cracks me up. :)

People need to realise that having a degree and being on a graduate scheme means the square root of feck all unless it's accompanied by a willingness to work to get on. This is particularly aimed at people with degrees in botany, history of art, chemistry etc, who then opt to work in the financial world. :)

chester copperpot
I don't have a degree but have loads of graduates working for me. Have to say it cracks me up. :)

People need to realise that having a degree and being on a graduate scheme means the square root of feck all unless it's accompanied by a willingness to work to get on. This is particularly aimed at people with degrees in botany, history of art, chemistry etc, who then opt to work in the financial world. :)

Have to agree with you there T. I left Uni with a 2:1, went off to work for the bank for a year to get a bit of financial experience under me. Started off on the phones, but it gave me the footing to find out what real work was.

I've tended to find the Graduates who I've hired/worked under me have been the hardest one's to deal with. Its because they're in a job because they cant find one in the field they want/graduated in. So they think they're too good for the role they're in. I went in with the attitude to do well and try to shine, and 10 years later I'm still with the company I joined and I thoroughly enjoy my job now. I didn't go under a Grad employee scheme, and am glad I did it the way I did.

Archived