Hibs v. Barcelona - what the Evening News might say....

Victor Meldrew

Victor Meldrew

Hibs 0-6 Barcelona

The West of Edinburgh doesn't get too many opportunities to see Giants of the European game play their famous brand of silky, free-flowing football, but last they got to see them play Barcelona.

With only 45,000 tickets remaining unsold at a packed Murrayfield, the crowd were not disappointed with a fine performance from a Hibs team filled with young Scottish talent.

Hibs started well and had Barcelona on the back foot for a sustained period of 10 seconds. However, as the game progressed, Barcelona's more effective 'route 1' style of play paid dividends, with 6 goals (all of which had more than a whiff of offside/foul play/handball (delete as appropriate)).

Despite the result Hibs fans will be delighted with their heroes' performances. Real Madrid can surely now expect competition from their great rivals for the signature of Steven Fletcher who despite being unable to score, managed to er... [don't worry, we'll fill that in later - ed]

Another highpoint was the clean sheet kept by youn Grof, the Hibs substitute goalkeeper, bringing to mind the heroics of David Marshall!

All in all, another glorious night for the mighty Hibernians, who on the basis of this performance can surely look forward to meeting Barca once more soon in the Champions League!

;)

Guest JamboRobbo

the real one ain't that far away

23' date='000 supporters were there to see the Easter Road side given a masterclass in how football should be played.

That was around half the figure who watched last season's friendly against Hearts, but much of the reason for that lies with the fact the Nou Camp side played in Scotland on four different occasions last season.

[/quote']

What school did he go to if he reckons 23k is half of 57k?

And it's all cause Barca played a few times already, nothing to do with the hobos being ****e, having no fans, and what fans they do have not being able to steal tickets in time.

marshallschunkychicken
the real one ain't that far away

What school did he go to if he reckons 23k is half of 57k?

And it's all cause Barca played a few times already, nothing to do with the hobos being ****e, having no fans, and what fans they do have not being able to steal tickets in time.

Exactly.

By the same hobonomics, I expect to see approximately 4000 watch Barcelona v Dundee United, as, lets face it, Barca played there last year.:rolleyes:

Saves me buying Evening News today that's how I saw the game.

What about Scott Booth last night saying Hibs should have changed from their "total football" style to the long ball. No thanks Hibs total football is what we want to see. I'd like to see Rob Jones playing on the wing or McNeil playing in goals.

The poster advertising the massacre had me in stitches. Along the lines of free flowing, direct, total football.......and that's only from Hibs :)

Seymour M Hersh

I reckon the really wanted to print an apology for being unable supply a full copy in print and online of tonights evening news! So they got a schoolboy from the fester road primary skool to write it instead. :107years:

As per usual the hibsman try to paper over the gaping holes(get the pun;))

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/sport/Barca-give-sorry-Hibs-a.4324579.jp

my fav part is this

Still, even though the size of this crowd compares favourably with almost every attendance Hibs have had in Edinburgh for the past quarter-century, it is less than half the size of the crowd which turned up at the rugby ground to watch Hearts play Barcelona almost exactly a year ago. Those who turned up last night were at least rewarded with a far more incident-packed game than the one which Hearts lost 12 months ago.

Hibs 0-6 Barcelona

The West of Edinburgh doesn't get too many opportunities to see Giants of the European game play their famous brand of silky, free-flowing football, but last they got to see them play Barcelona.

With only 45,000 tickets remaining unsold at a packed Murrayfield, the crowd were not disappointed with a fine performance from a Hibs team filled with young Scottish talent.

Hibs started well and had Barcelona on the back foot for a sustained period of 10 seconds. However, as the game progressed, Barcelona's more effective 'route 1' style of play paid dividends, with 6 goals (all of which had more than a whiff of offside/foul play/handball (delete as appropriate)).

Despite the result Hibs fans will be delighted with their heroes' performances. Real Madrid can surely now expect competition from their great rivals for the signature of Steven Fletcher who despite being unable to score, managed to balloon one over the bar from 6 yards whilst clean through.

Another highpoint was the clean sheet kept by youn Grof, the Hibs substitute goalkeeper, bringing to mind the heroics of David Marshall!

All in all, another glorious night for the mighty Hibernians, who on the basis of this performance can surely look forward to meeting Barca once more soon in the Champions League!

There you go :thumb:

marshallschunkychicken
As per usual the hibsman try to paper over the gaping holes(get the pun;))

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/sport/Barca-give-sorry-Hibs-a.4324579.jp

my fav part is this

Still, even though the size of this crowd compares favourably with almost every attendance Hibs have had in Edinburgh for the past quarter-century, it is less than half the size of the crowd which turned up at the rugby ground to watch Hearts play Barcelona almost exactly a year ago. Those who turned up last night were at least rewarded with a far more incident-packed game than the one which Hearts lost 12 months ago.

fuxake.

John Findlay

I personally thought the Edinburgh Evening News hit a new low with it's Friday edition.

A new low in that both the front page and back page led with the story that Hibs may sign the trialist Steve Ticko. Absolutely nothing, nada on the result or the lesson that Hibs were given by Barcelona. Even in his match report Hardie was kind in his condemnation of Hibs performance.

I firmly believe if that had been Hearts on the end of a 6-0 mauling then it would have been mentioned on both the front and back page. Until you opened the inside of the back page you would not have been aware via the newspaper that a game had taken place.

John

Colonel Kurtz

We moan about Banderson,but "Irish"Colleen is much worse,wonder if shes got a brother called Timothy

Archived