Tennis - it's gonna happen

I P Knightley

I P Knightley

Or is it?

Federer's been dumped out of the latest Masters series and Nadal's likely to pick up a few more points to close the gap a bit more on him. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/7523031.stm

Although we've seen it coming all year, this latest story is starting to make it very real that we're seeing the end of one of the finest reigns in tennis or any other sport in my living memory.

A real shame that he's faltering against folk who couldn't hold a candle to him last year and that it's not Djokovic and Nadal who are taking his crown in direct combat.

I appreciate that not all kickbackers are huge tennis followers but this is pretty significant in the sporting world. Only when Tiger Woods is knocked off his perch (by Ian Poulter) will something be quite as remarkable.

Definitely changing times. I think if he had scraped past Nadal at wimbledon it wouldn't have been the worst time to retire. It is clear to see that Nadal is getting better on what seems like a daily basis.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

I still think Federer will win the US Open.

He isn't having a bad year, he is just losing a few matches that he wouldn't have before. The rest of the guys, in particular Djokovic and Nadal have caught up.

Federer has reach a standard now whereby if he doesn't win at least 1 out of 2 tournaments people will question his ability - he has made 2 GS Finals and 1 Semi Final in 2008 and it seems like he has had a bad year after the 4 GREAT years before this one.

His major problem at the moment is with his confidence. He thrashed Simon in the first set and suddenly seemed to get nervous and made plenty of unforced errors - something that would never have happened previously. His backhand also looks very dodgy at the moment.

I still think he Federer will go on to win 2 or 3 more Grand Slams but he will no longer dominate.

Nadal deserves to be No.1 right now.

Everybody has their time and then the next generation comes along and swallows them up. Nadal is garlic bread...........the future, a taste sensation.

Archived