Anyone else freally fed up of this pro-environment stuff

Therapist

I couldn't give a stuff about global warming. Scotland's too cold as it is and the planet's always gone through cycles of warming up and cooling down. That's what evolution's about.

All this environment stuff is just an excuse for nationl/local government to hit us with more taxes and be lazy.

I'll continue to drive my gas guzzling car that I use every day for my short journey to work.

I'll continue to ride my 1000cc motorcycle that I use for leisure purposes only.

I couldn't give a toss about how fuel efficient my refrigerator is.

I won't switch my plasma display off rather than put it on standby.

I'll continue to take long haul flights for business and pleasure.

I won't participate in any ridiculous meaningless carbon offset schemes.

I won't sort my rubbish into various categories of recyclable stuff - that's what I pay my council tax for.

Rant over. :mad: Thoughts?

Yeah I'm fed up of this planet too, let's go to a new one.

If you could just pop off and find us one that'll be great.

:P

Dagger Is Back
I couldn't give a stuff about global warming. Scotland's too cold as it is and the planet's always gone through cycles of warming up and cooling down. That's what evolution's about.

All this environment stuff is just an excuse for nationl/local government to hit us with more taxes and be lazy.

I'll continue to drive my gas guzzling car that I use every day for my short journey to work.

I'll continue to ride my 1000cc motorcycle that I use for leisure purposes only.

I won't sort my rubbish into various categories of recyclable stuff - that's what I pay my council tax for.

People post on these sites to get a reaction either of support or disagreement.

On that basis then, I think it's because of people with your attitude, that this planet resembles a huge toilet.

Scotlands too cold as it is? Talk about parochial. The world has been being poisoned for many years now and no-one, generally speaking, has taken any responsibility for putting a stop to it.

Here's hoping that the much maligned younger generation can show silly old farts like you the way forward. ;)

Are we not still coming out of an ice age?

I dont agree with a lot of the pro environment stuff, fair enough the recycling etc, that makes sense to me but some of the other stuff is a bit insane IMO.

I think your attitude is probably one shared by a large portion of the population. Rising fuel prices will eventually force people to do something about it...and probably make the matter worse in some instances, as well.

Patrick Bateman
Caution: Contains strong language. Quite funny though...

The fear of 'Global Warming' is a scam. Not much else to say.

How can an emotional state be a scam?

The People's Chimp

Yeah! Cannot wait to sun myself on aberdeen beach in front of the stewart milne memorial flats, just next to where todders used to be.

It'll be funny reminiscing about AFC games, while frying in UV beams.

200milesfromgorgie

Global Warming is very true. Just coz chanel 4 or whoever make one of thier bs programs dosent mean they are telling the truth.

Yeah! Cannot wait to sun myself on aberdeen beach in front of the stewart milne memorial flats, just next to where todders used to be.

It'll be funny reminiscing about AFC games, while frying in UV beams.

See you there. I'll bring the beers. ;)

coppercrutch
Are we not still coming out of an ice age?

I dont agree with a lot of the pro environment stuff, fair enough the recycling etc, that makes sense to me but some of the other stuff is a bit insane IMO.

Last ice age was at its peak 18,000 years ago. The World changes constantly. We will be covered in ice again. We will be covered in tropical swamps again. That is a fact no-one can deny.

-People telling you to drive a smaller car to 'stop global warming' - LIES

-People telling you to drive a smaller car to 'Treat this planet with a bit more respect' - TRUTH.

That is all you need to know. Can I release a film now...would be pretty short..:rolleyes:

coppercrutch
How can an emotional state be a scam?

I'd say the brainwashing which causes the fear is.

As he says...:rolleyes:

Last ice age was at its peak 18,000 years ago. The World changes constantly. We will be covered in ice again. We will be covered in tropical swamps again. That is a fact no-one can deny.

-People telling you to drive a smaller car to 'stop global warming' - LIES

-People telling you to drive a smaller car to 'Treat this planet with a bit more respect' - TRUTH.

That is all you need to know. Can I release a film now...would be pretty short..:rolleyes:

So seeing as the planet is heating, we are still coming out of it, as opposed to entering a new one?

I agree with treating it with more respect, I have no quams with recycling.

I drive a Fiat Punto right now. That is because I cant afford a bigger car, when I can, I fully intend on getting one.

If the government was serious surely they would demand that cars were made with environmentally friendly fuel tanks, H2O, H, etc. The technology is there to give a hell of a lot more respect to the planet, but its harder to tax water...

Not directed at you CC, just a general statement.

That is because I cant afford a bigger car, when I can, I fully intend on getting one.

That's the spirit. I love my gas guzzler. :)

I can't be arsed with Companies jumping on the 'we're green' bandwagon just to improve their sales.

If the government was serious surely they would demand that cars were made with environmentally friendly fuel tanks, H2O, H, etc. The technology is there to give a hell of a lot more respect to the planet, but its harder to tax water...

Perhaps. However, it could be argued that they will never, and maybe should never, take such measures if the electorate could not give a monkey's about it.

coppercrutch
So seeing as the planet is heating, we are still coming out of it, as opposed to entering a new one?

I agree with treating it with more respect, I have no quams with recycling.

I drive a Fiat Punto right now. That is because I cant afford a bigger car, when I can, I fully intend on getting one.

Not directed at you CC, just a general statement.

Nah I agree. I was just using the car as an example.

I think the general level of waste on this planet is the worst thing. So much **** is just thrown away for no reason. As you say going for cars is just another easy way to tax people.

Couldn't agree more!

Utter bollocks, most of it! :mad:

Perhaps. However, it could be argued that they will never, and maybe should never, take such measures if the electorate could not give a monkey's about it.

Maybe the electorate are not as daft as they seem?

Maybe they see it as a money making scheme?

The goverment wont due to the income they receive from txes.

I am appalled at this thread.

What a nasty man (pos a bigot?) the OP is.

Jeez, the first place to end up under water in GB would be England!

I personally wish no harm on the English and want them to stay ABOVE water.

Oh and think...team GB football team would be made up of only Scots as the English will all be only to play water polo.

A nightmare scenario surely.

Someone tax the OP a lot more to teach him a lesson!

shaun.lawson

My thoughts on global warming:

1. It's happening - and is already far too late to stop. We won't be affected that much; but our children and grandchildren certainly will be.

2. Is one man refusing to turn off his TV or flying more often than necessary going to make a blind bit of difference? Nope - but Western governments have to be seen to do something. Because it's India and China who are going to be the problem: and they're not going to take kindly to us telling them they can't do something that we've been doing ourselves for centuries.

3. Holland's ****ed.

My thoughts on the OP:

Is this really a rant against environmentalism (which'd be at odds with his praising the SNP's work on preserving Scottish marine life if it was), or rather, an entertaining if lame attempt to make us jealous of his big spending lifestyle... which, unhappily for him, no-one seems to have bought? :P

Is this really a rant against environmentalism (which'd be at odds with his praising the SNP's work on preserving Scottish marine life if it was), or rather, an entertaining if lame attempt to make us jealous of his big spending lifestyle... which, unhappily for him, no-one seems to have bought? :P

It's a rant against the excesses of environmentalism.

As for my lifestyle, what's so unusual about plasmas, bin collection, long haul flights, or......er, refrigerators? :cool:

Doctor FinnBarr

When the Romans were here they had vineyards around Hadrians Wall meaning the climate had to be warmer. What would Labour have taxed then? Horse shat?

:)

The Old Tolbooth

That one really gets on my tits, talk about an excuse to rip extra money out of folk for absolutely hee haw! :mad:

The People's Chimp

As for my lifestyle, what's so unusual about plasmas, bin collection, long haul flights, or......er, refrigerators? :cool:

Leave that to the Hobos.

;)

Carl Spackler

I absolutely agree that we should make the best of resources. I agree we should minimise our impact on the environment where possible but I completely disagree that we should make the non-human environment a higher priority than the development of our own.

You should try building anything of any size in Britain these days. You can't without having to deal with some fecking frog spawn or a daft bird that decided to plonk itself on your site first. Or at the very least proving the f^%?ing things aren't there first (which takes ages and can only be done at certain times of the year). This is not something I've read about, I can tell you from first hand experience. The whole thing is nuts.

shaun.lawson

Nothing at all, my good Sir - but it is somewhat unusual to feel the need to mention said lifestyle so frequently. Some people might even suspect there's some sort of inferiority complex you're desperately trying to deal with here... :cool::P

Whatever we do personally wont affect it.

What the government will do / are doing is terrorize us with global warming so we don't feel so bad when they tax us more.

It would be interesting to see what the worlds governments would do if someone came up with an un-taxable alternative to oil - some sort of water burning engine if you like. I bet we'd still be using (and getting taxed on) oil decades after the invention was made. Then again, maybe the alternative has already been discovered and we're still paying tax on oil because they can't afford us not to.

I love a good conspiracy theory

chester copperpot

Nothing to do with Global Warming, but your Plasma will most probably blow up due to the fact the gases in your telly need a break and should be turned off at the switch whenever you're never using it.

And that's from my brother in law who's a sparky who couldn't give a feck about the environment, he just wants to make sure my telly lasts longer.;)

coppercrutch
My thoughts on global warming:

1. It's happening - and is already far too late to stop. We won't be affected that much; but our children and grandchildren certainly will be.

2. Is one man refusing to turn off his TV or flying more often than necessary going to make a blind bit of difference? Nope - but Western governments have to be seen to do something. Because it's India and China who are going to be the problem: and they're not going to take kindly to us telling them they can't do something that we've been doing ourselves for centuries.

3. Holland's ****ed.

My thoughts on the OP:

I will bet you ?10,000 that at some point in the the future Global Warming stops and goes into reverse. In fact lets make it ?20,000. :rolleyes:

Of course I probably won't be around to pick up my winnings....;)

temp-001.gif

You notice anything about the 'warm' periods like we are in today ? They are the exception rather than the norm....

Gordon Brown doesn't flash this sort of fact up too often however...

Only a Game

Just one more thing. Can you continue to remind us of your wealth, importance and extravagent jet set life style.

I love hearing about it on a daily basis.

In answer to the question though........feck it....let the grandchildren deal with it !!!

shaun.lawson
I will bet you ?10,000 that at some point in the the future Global Warming stops and goes into reverse. In fact lets make it ?20,000. :rolleyes:

temp-001.gif

You notice anything about the 'warm' periods like we are in today ? They are the exception rather than the norm....

Having a bet with you about global warming would be like having a bet on when the apocalypse is going to be: how exactly would anyone collect? :P

But I'm sorry, CC: does what's happening with the polar ice caps not mean anything to you? Or the enormous amount of gases emitted by an ever rising global population (and of course, the world's cows too!)? Perhaps you'd like to explain why the huge majority of world scientific opinion is now so firmly in accordance with the reality that global warming is happening, and a mounting threat to our long-term way of life?

I love conspiracy theories as much as the next man - but they're not the explanation for everything. In truth, it doesn't really matter what you or I think: the temperature of the earth is rising, and the more it does, the greater the threat which will gradually be placed on communities the world over.

If you don't want to recycle and save energy for the sake of global warming, then do it for the fact that withing the next 30-50 years will will be out of all finite resources.

As a highly respectable human being who always has a go at the poor social situations we are in I am 100% positive that doing something that will benifit my generation and my kids generation like recycling would improve our social lifestyles. Take the bus. set your washing machine that wee bit lower. Instead of throwing your boxes into the bin throw them beside the bin so you have a nice wee pile you can take down to the wheelie bin at the same time as your regular rubbish. Simple adjustments really.

Global Warming or no global warming.

Rick Grimes

the main thing about this debate is that if we try to sort out global warming and it turns out to be a scam then we've lost money. if it turns out to be true & we do nothing then we lose a lot more. but, like Shaun says, the effects won't most likely won't be majorly felt for a generation or two & the emerging nations are gonna cause it to happen anyway. nothing like short term gain tho, eh?

coppercrutch
Having a bet with you about global warming would be like having a bet on when the apocalypse is going to be: how exactly would anyone collect? :P

But I'm sorry, CC: does what's happening with the polar ice caps not mean anything to you? Or the enormous amount of gases emitted by an ever rising global population (and of course, the world's cows too!)? Perhaps you'd like to explain why the huge majority of world scientific opinion is now so firmly in accordance with the reality that global warming is happening, and a mounting threat to our long-term way of life?

I love conspiracy theories as much as the next man - but they're not the explanation for everything. In truth, it doesn't really matter what you or I think: the temperature of the earth is rising, and the more it does, the greater the threat which will gradually be placed on communities the world over.

Please see the graph above. :rolleyes:

The earth warming has nothing or very little to do with is.

It has always changed temperatures and always will. Only one problem with this situation - it affects us so much because there are too many of us.

I have about 4.5 billion years of evidence behind this particular 'conspiracy theory'....and yourself....;)

Before you ask - yes I am a qualified scientist when it comes to this subject. :rolleyes:

shaun.lawson
Please see the graph above. :rolleyes:

The earth warming has nothing or very little to do with is.

It has always changed temperatures and always will. Only one problem with this situation - it affects us so much because there are too many of us.

I have about 4.5 billion years of evidence behind this particular 'conspiracy theory'....and yourself....;)

Before you ask - yes I am a qualified scientist when it comes to this subject. :rolleyes:

So again - why does the vast majority of science across the world disagree with you? And why has even the gas guzzling US administration acknowledged that it's happening?

Because it's India and China who are going to be the problem: and they're not going to take kindly to us telling them they can't do something that we've been doing ourselves for centuries.

the emerging nations are gonna cause it to happen anyway.

Why blame the emerging nations? The Chinese (understandably) get very ****ed off when westerners try to tell them that they are supposed to stay in some economic netherworld while we continue to swan about the place enjoying our consumer lifestyles.

coppercrutch
So again - why does the vast majority of science across the world disagree with you? And why has even the gas guzzling US administration acknowledged that it's happening?

Eh they don't....

Find me one scientist who does not agree that we are in an interglacial period and it is likely to get cooler in the long term rather than warmer.

You see us humans are rather insignificant after all. We care what the temperature does over a hundred years. Living on a planet that is over 4 billion years old it is a little foolish to think we can, or should, do anything about it.

Us humans have a rather high regard for our own self importance. It is completely unwarranted. We really are pretty close to nothing in Universe terms.

We all know global warming is happening. That is not the point...:rolleyes:

shaun.lawson
Why blame the emerging nations? The Chinese (understandably) get very ****ed off when westerners try to tell them that they are supposed to stay in some economic netherworld while we continue to swan about the place enjoying our consumer lifestyles.

Sure they do - and naturally so. It's still a problem though. And what's 60 million people changing their way of life here when set against, what, 2 billion or so in India and China before long - countries that are largely unregulated, have environmental records that would make us blanche, and quite understandably, want to develop and maximise their wealth as quickly as possible?

shaun.lawson
Eh they don't....

Find me one scientist who does not agree that we are in an interglacial period and it is likely to get cooler in the long term rather than warmer.

You see us humans are rather insignificant after all. We care what the temperature does over a hundred years. Living on a planet that is over 4 billion years old it is a little foolish to think we can, or should, do anything about it.

Us humans have a rather high regard for our own self importance. It is completely unwarranted. We really are pretty close to nothing in Universe terms.

We all know global warming is happening. That is not the point...:rolleyes:

Well, given all that, isn't it very, very odd that Western governments (and especially the American one) haven't just thrown their hands up and admitted all that you've said? I'm not even sure if you and I are disagreeing that greatly here: I don't think it can be stopped either, but do feel it'd be pretty distasteful not to do our damndest to conserve resources as much as possible. Because life on this planet is going to get an awful lot tougher in the generations ahead - whether that's our fault or not.

coppercrutch
Sure they do - and naturally so. It's still a problem though. And what's 60 million people changing their way of life here when set against, what, 2 billion or so in India and China before long - countries that are largely unregulated, have environmental records that would make us blanche, and quite understandably, want to develop and maximise their wealth as quickly as possible?

You talking about the UK 150 years ago.;)

I can see why the 'east' would get ****ed of with us telling them what to do. After we have done it ourself !!

It is a but like the whole Iran Nuclear situation. You can see the reason behind it however it does not stand up to any degree of 'fairness'. IMO.

Rick Grimes

i meant that even if we do change our ways here sharpish then the damage down in the emerging nations would counter a lot of the benefit. i reckon it will take them longer to get the infrastructure in place to stop the reliance on fossil fuels.

not a blame thing, just the numbers of far more populous nations who are growing at a rate of knots. per head the US is still by far the worst & we have a long way to go

badly drawn boy

temp-001.gif

20,000 , Thats your 8 bedroom Granton mansion gone CC

Please no more links to stats and graphs with wavy lines to support your point of view , just make your point PLEASE

i Cant be the only one that is being driven round the bend with your endless repetitive posting of the same viewpoint

Just gonnie no

coppercrutch
Well, given all that, isn't it very, very odd that Western governments (and especially the American one) haven't just thrown their hands up and admitted all that you've said? I'm not even sure if you and I are disagreeing that greatly here: I don't think it can be stopped either, but do feel it'd be pretty distasteful not to do our damndest to conserve resources as much as possible. Because life on this planet is going to get an awful lot tougher in the generations ahead - whether that's our fault or not.

The reason is because, IMO, they have realised they can make money out of it. Same as, same as...

As for your second points I totally agree. I think we should be doing a lot more for the Environment and using resources far more efficiently. We treat this World like **** most of the time and we deserve all we get in return.

I agree with many of the actions we are 'supposed' to take. However the reasons given for it are simply false.

My favourite is the Persil/Ariel? advert with all the 'clicks'. Where they tell you at the end 'we can all help turn the World's temperature down'*. I have not seen it for a while. I imagine it was complained about. Pure tosh. Turning the World's temperature down !!!

*Wording may not be exact.

Archived